Yoga and Allergy-Stuffed Nose : Ain't Easy! HATE - Oct 29

August

Cathlete
Morning!

It's another sunny, lovely day in Tokyo. And where better to be than in my cozy pajamas drinking chai herb tea at noon looking out the window!

I woke up this morning lightly peppered with DOMS all over my body. Man, I love those Gliding Discs! I wanted to do them again today, but I can't. I mean, literally, I don't think I'm able! LOL.

And so I decided to continue on with my basic yoga practice!

Now, I don't want to be premature because I've really only been doing this like a week or so, so it could be a fluke............but I swear I feel a difference in my BOAT (with a capital L). My stomach and the way I hold it seems...different. Knockonwoodknockonwood LOL. The deep in-out breathing, and particularly the twists and cobra seem to be having a positive effect on me. My torso feels more agile. My intestines are becoming pliable! Wondertwin Powers, ACTIVATE! :*

The only problem is that there seems to be something in the air recently, and when I get to downwards dog in the routine, my nose stuffs up. Lemme tell you, there are problems doing yoga with a stuffed up nose! :eek: :7

Dana - Wow, never even been to a Starbucks? That's impressive!...Your dad and his smoking with the patch on must be scary for you. How can the nurses not smell the smoke? Urgh, well, he knows how worried you are about him and how much you love him, so you've done your part. Hopefully the nurses will wake their noses up.

And that rude, crude dork at your office. But what can you expect? He's obviously truly a dork that he feels idiotic enough to have to threaten to press charges in a very lame attempt to get some of his ego back. I'm with Robin. That man needs some Magic Barley.

Jana - So you went for Butts & Guts, eh? Woo hoo! I imagine those poor delivery guys are working their own Butts & Guts off, and that you shall have your new workout as soon as earthly possible!

Robin - I had never heard of Prader Willi Syndrome. How incredible and wonderful that he is having such positive results living in the residence with others with the syndrome. Your battle was obviously well worth all the time, energy and effort. Losing weight and getting into such great shape particularly with that kind of syndrome - sheesh, no kidding everybody wants in that house! They must really got it going on! And dances and costume parties? Sounds like a blast!

Michele - Just thought I'd say hi and hope you're having lots of fun catching up!

There. See? I didn't even mention Pumpkin Spiced Glazed donuts.

Hi Ladies - I just saw this title. I suffer from severe sinus problems. I have polpys in my sinuses and down my throat as well as pansinusitis (every sinus in my head is blocked). The ENT doc says I need surgery - but I don't want it. I couldn't smell all Winter due to the polyps.....but I'm hangin tough.

I started doing yoga regularly last year....especially after my diagnosis and I think it has helped a little. I usually try to do it on Sat and Sundays.

To the above poster - down dog (according to Yogajournal.com) is supposed to be the best pose for the sinuses....even though it feels that way.

I also just started doing Kundalini Yoga which uses a breath of fire to try to help my sinuses.

So what is this check in all about? I'm thinking I"ll join you ladies.

This morning I did Gin Miller's Simply Interval Step (45 min) and Dancin the Chakras Yoga Premix "Rockin the Chakra's" (30 min premix) with Ravi and Ana and then I did Eion Finn's Pure and Simple Yoga (45 min).

I skipped my traditional yoga last week and took a rest day yesterday, so it felt really good to get all stretched out today after a tough week of Barry's Bootcamp.

ETA: Is this checkin going to continue into November?

Hi, Lorajc!

Thanks for dropping by...and I hope you'll continue to come check in with us even after I tell you where you are...I must admit...I think I may have successfully fooled you with today's title. }( :)

Welcome to...Cardiohatesville!

Yeah. You've fallen trap in the I Hate Cardio thread :) . But actually, we all do our cardio. And in the last few months, some of us (LOL) have even come to love cardio. So we're actually more of the donut-loving, barley obsessed, crazy shoe link, good for laughs bunch of exercisers thread. We plan to continue lovin and hatin year long! :D

It's nice to meet you, I'm August.

I just recently started basic yoga primarily because I'd found out that twists are good for digestion, and I've recently started to think, though I'm quite limber stretching down to my feet, I'd like to be more limber in my torso. I've been doing daily yoga stretches for a week now and feel really good.

That's good to hear about downward dog (oh, it's down dog?) being good for sinuses! I guess my getting a bit clogged in that position might be a good sign of things to come. :)

Polyps and severe sinus. Ack. That must be awful. At least you are saved from the torturous smells in a bakery ;) .

Oh, I keep keep keep reading so many good things about this Eion Finn yoga! Is it as awesome as everyone raves? I recently got Gin Miller's Intense Moves which is also interval, but haven't tried it out yet.

Anyway, I apologize for the confusion. You're probably looking for a yoga thread! I'm afraid I might be the only one here doing yoga, and I'm just starting out, so this thread might not be so inspiring for you. But please do feel free to join us, as we'd love to have you!

Good morning August, Lorajc, and all!

Laurajc, welcome!! Like August said, this check-in was started as a support group for people who hate cardio. We do our cardio (most of the time:eek: ) but we hate it and wouldn't do it if it wasn't absolutely necessary (although August seems to love cardio since finding Christi Taylor--lol). We enjoy getting sidetracked with silliness whenever possible and we'd love to have you join us.

August, I'm so glad yoga is having a positive impact on your torso. I'm all in favor of anything that will turn your bloat into a BOAT but WTH is a Wondertwin--LMAO!! I had no idea that Yoga was good for your sinuses. Thanks, Lorajc, for that useful tidbit! Okay August, here's another scientific experiment for you.

My gliding discs are still in the friggin box they came in. I guess I'm going to have to take them out and give 'em a go here. I'm a nightmare, I know. Would somebody please hide my credit card? I have to stop buying things I don't/won't use:eek:

We have a sunny but cold and frightfully windy day here. We're going to visit my IL's today but I'm not sure what else is on the agenda. I want get in an elliptical workout but I woke up with a bit of a sore throat and stuffy/runny nose so I'm not sure I'm up to doing cardio.

Did I tell you that my IL's sent me flowers the other day? Well they did and they wrote the nicest note to go with them. It made my cry:+ .

Have a great day everyone! I'll see y'all tomorrow.

RE: Yoga and Allergy-Stuffed Nose : Ain't Easy! HATE - ...

I can't imagine doing downward dog with sinus problems. Doesn't it hurt? I saw a book at the library claiming that Yoga can help with asthma, my illness of choice. I don't know. I've only tried yoga once and I didn't like it. Maybe I try again some day. I just finished up Boot Camp, which is only half cardio. No, wait, only a quarter? Even though I puff and pant through the whole thing. Now I'm headed for a shower, then to church. This afternoon I have to clean the house. My regular housekeeper, DD Emily, is down and out with a nasty virus.

August, thank you for the kind words regarding my DS. Yeah, everyone I know wants to move into his residence. He's been to a formal dinner dance, amusement parks, camping, and all kinds of fun things since he moved in. And it is an unbelievable pleasure to be able to open the refrigerator without having to do the combination lock.

OK, shower time. Enjoy your cardio hate all. Taa

August - It's very nice to meet you. Sorry - I did misunderstand. I don't think I should join you ladies - cuz I really don't hate cardio. I actually am an intensity junkie.......but I also love weights and yoga....so I guess I'm pretty well rounded.

Yes, Eion Finn is one of my favorite instructors. Since your into yoga...I'll share a bit about yoga and myself and some of the best DVDs in my opinion. After practicing yoga regularly (2-3 times a week) for about a year (have been practicing off and on for about 15 or so years), a 20 minute stretch just doesn't do anything for me. I tend to love the release in the muscles from a 60-90 hour yoga session. I have become more flexible over the years and I'm 47 now. I find I'm more flexible today than I was in my 30's.

Eion's Power Yoga for Happiness is the best DVD out there. It has 6 premixes, from 30-90 minutes. My favorites are Yoga Quickie and Magically hips 30 and 60 minutes. Magically hips is great if you do cardio. It feels great. He has a couple other DVDs out and I have those also, but this one is the best.

Shiva Rea is also one of my favorite instructors. Yoga Shakti has over 90 minutes of footage and is shot in Maldives Islands on a sand dune. It's gorgeous scenery and the music is breathtaking. Shiva is a really cool instructor. This DVD has a yoga matrix to make your own practice up or you can follow a preset option, or just do a couple sections. It's very versatile and well worth the money. Both of these are available at Amazon.

The other instructor that I love is Rainbeau Mars. She has 30 min yoga DVDs that are pretty reasonably priced on CD Universe or Amazon. My favorites of hers are Pure Tranquility which is 30 minutes of restorative yoga (more like a stretch DVD - no downdogs). The other one that is really good by her is the Dusk to Dawn series....my favorite is Dusk. Yoga for Beauty - Dusk.

Lastly, there is a DVD called Altar of the Heart with Tilak Pyle (available at Fitness Organica). It is an 80 minute DVD but there is a point at 45 min where it's a natural break point and a lot of people use it in 2 segments.

Nice meeting you and I hope I gave you a good laugh!! Good luck with your cardio!! take care and see you around on the Forum. My new Cathe's are due to arrive on Tuesday!

Michelle - yoga is actually good for ALL your internal organs. As August stated above, the twisting is very good for the digestive tract...and happens to be one of my favorite yoga poses....also, your hips are the biggest storage place in your body for stress and toxins....so hip openers are very good to detox your system and have been known to reverse the physical effects of aging. A lot of the poses massage your internal organs from the twisting and bending and no other form of exercise actually does this........and the deep breathing aids in oxegenating the blood.

All of that being said...when I first started yoga, I hated it and forced myself to do it cuz it's good for you and now I love it. Go figure. Maybe some day you ladies will love cardio!! LOL.

take care ..........stop by the Hardcore thread sometime and say hi ...or just lurk.

What?! Michele, you don't know the Wondertwins?! They are superheros (cartoon) who click their sibling knuckles together and shout, "Wondertwin Powers, ACTIVATE!" and then they have special powers to turn into different things. The girl turns into various, fairly useless animals, and the boy turns into things that are stretchy. Or something like that. It's been ages since I watched Saturday morning cartoons.

I'm so LMAO at you and your Gliding Discs still being in the box! I see what you do - use it once and then put it away! You should try it out - the workout, I mean. I really got some great DOMS and I didn't even feel like I'd put all that much effort into the workout at all. My core is sore!

Reading that your in-laws sent you flowers with such a nice card that made you cry made me all teary! How sweet of them. And how deserving you are. You really are.

Anyway, feel better soon. Make some ginger tea!

Hiya, Robin, you should hear the funny sounds I make in down dog. Instead of the deep, sleep-like breathing, it's more like snorting and honking. As soon as I'm out of that position, it clears up. Weird.

Bootcamp. Is that the one where there's a part where you have to hop around and jump down and back like a frog in pain (well, that's my version anyway)? That's a heavy-duty workout. I'd consider it way more than 1/4 cardio!

Hope your regular housekeeper LOL feels better soon.

Lorajc! You are so kind to write such a detailed post of suggestions for yoga! Thank you so much. I'm going to take note of these and see what I can find. I live overseas so it takes some looking around for who can send it over here. I usually order through Collage, but they don't carry Eion Finn (or any of the others you mentioned, I believe). I don't know if you'll read this post, but if you do, would you by chance know anywhere I might be able to view samples of any of these? Also, as you know, I'm just starting out...may I ask with what yoga workouts you started off? Are the ones you recommended only for someone who's advanced?

Hope to see you at the uh, Hardcore thread! Right Michele? :eek: Um, Hardcore?

Okay. I'm going to watch some Family Guy on DVD and then I'm off to bed. Man, I can't wait to get up to do my Gliding Discs tomorrow!

>Nice meeting you and I hope I gave you a good laugh!!

Oh, no, no, we cardio haters are a sensitive bunch and would never laugh at anyone (especially when the fault lies in my bad thread title). We might laugh very quietly about yoga instructors' names like Rainbeau Mars, but we would never laugh at someone who came for a visit. :D

August - Eion's site is www.VAncouveryoga.com. I think he has some free audio downloads on there also. The Bliss one is really good. He also has a free Tragically Hips one ....but for audio - you'd really need to be familiar with the poses. Eion's stuff is geared for "anyone"....beginner to advanced. He usually shows the beginner pose, intermediate and advanced. Shiva Rea is the same way. Both of these can be found on Amazon. Doesn't Amazon ship overseas? or CDUniverse? I know Collage doesn't carry any Shiva or Eion. I don't know why either.

Rainbeau's are geared for the beginner. Temple of the Heart is also a practice geared toward beginner/intermediate. I am only able to do some advanced yoga poses.....it will be a lifetime's work!

Oh and the Hardcore thread is actually titled Hardcore Fitness Maniacs. We all started doing the Hardcore Series together and then when we started doing other stuff....we renamed it. We all tend to do a variety of workouts. If you check out the thread - check out Diana Sue (WD) and see how great she looks. She's a true inspiration to all of us!!

Robin!! It makes my heart sing to see you posting in Hateville:+ . August is a treasure and she always makes us feel good, so any time you need a little pick-me-up, come visit August.

I think several of us are ready to sign up for Tristan's program. I can't get over how well he's doing. Talk about an answer to prayer!!

August, I have never, ever heard of the Wondertwins. DH has never mentioned them either and he's usually up on all the cartoons (comes with being in pediatrics). He knows all about the Powerpuff Girls, though--lol! He actually drug me out to see the Powerpuff girl's movie:eek: :7 .

Lora, I used to do yoga when I was younger--like in my late teens/early 20's. I herniated a disc in my neck a few years ago and my physical therapist told me not to do yoga. He said any position where you have to hyperflex the neck would not be wise for me to do so I've pretty much avoided it. I am permitted to do downward dog, though, and I often do. I like that one but I do snort through it:eek: :7

We're going out for brunch in a bit. DH is on his laptop right now and guess what he's doing? He's shopping for shoes--LMAO!

Michelle - I also have a herniated disc in my neck C5-6 and C6-7. I was not allowed to do yoga for a while....but have recently started easing back into it. I tend to modify poses for my neck. I usually don't look up at my hands, but look down and I never tilt my head back in updog. I also can't do a lot of the arm balances....cuz it irritates my problems.

RE: Yoga and Allergy-Stuffed Nose : Ain't Easy! HATE - ...

Michele, I'm wilding waving at you from your DH's laptop. It's not my fault if he won't let you see.

August, I hope you are sleeping soundly and dreaming about sliding discs, wondertwins, and Rainbeau.

Lori, I think the hips also cause my most stress as well as being the biggest storage place for it. Mostly because my hips are my biggest storage place for multiple items, mostly chocolate and red wine.

I'm supposed to be cleaning the family room, but somehow my butt got sucked onto the computer chair. I'm going to now clench my large gluteus muscles and break free. Later!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.