X'ers.....Wednesday January 17

taprice

Cathlete
Hi X'ers,

I got up and did arx before I could think about talking myself out of it. I don't know why it is a struggle some days because it really is effective. It's freezing here now too. We had 70s Monday and 20s today. It is so crazy and you just can't get acclimated to anything.

I'll bbl for personals.

Wishing a great day to all,

Tracy

Morning Tracy! all to follow-
We have ice this am as well... ramp that leads us into the city is shut down so DH home for a few extra hours today. Will check in w/ personals & my plan of action a bit later once I have a schedule & get DH off to work.
Be safe if you're in crazy weather like Tracy & I are!!!!

Morning X'rs,

Today will be ployX for me. Kind of happy I won't be seeing Chest, Shoulders and Arms for about 3 weeks. :D That one is really tough, but something that I can use to see if I improve.

Have a great day!

Laurie

Good morning Xers:

Classic/Phase 2/Week 3/Day 3

My arms are so pumped from B&B today that I can hardly type. I don't have a burn in my forearms, but sure pumped them up! I upped almost everything again, really pushing myself as I know I won't be doing this one for a little while. Have to look and see when it falls again. I've made great improvements and was really excited when I got done. Love to improve on the numbers.

Strength gains are going great, but been feeling more puffy the last few days. I've been keeping the eating the same, very little sodium, lots of water and still have that puffiness (or is it a fat layer?) TTOM is long gone by a week. On my bodyfat scale (Tanita, I know it's not accurate), the BF% has been up each morning. When I started this, I was at 25.3%. Weight is up also. Consistently lately, it's been at 26% plus BF. I know it's not a good gauge, but why do I feel puffy on top of the muscle? I'm going to try cutting my portions down a bit, but still keeping in pretty much the same # of servings of carbs/protein/fat. I'm figuring I'm eating around 1700-1800 calories so will cut my portions down a bit to put it closer to 1500. Also, I divide my eating up into 5 meals. Lots of times, I'm not even hungry but eat anyway. Does that mean I'm giving my body too much food if I'm not even hungry? I still have tons of energy so know I'm not depriving my body of enough food. Any ideas??? I have that little bit of extra poof under my chin, around my wrists, places that I can tell when I'm puffy or heavier. And just last week I felt so lean? Hope my body hasn't figured all of this out and is trying to outsmart me.

Tracy, where do you live? Wow, what a fluctuation in temps! Good for you for getting AbX out of the way. Yep, it's an effective one. Have it on tap tonite when I'm not so rushed.

Laurie, PlyoX is the mother all right! Bring it good!

Traci, hope your DH gets off to work okay. Do you guys have studded tires where you live? What part of Texas are you in? Guess that would be pretty treacherous driving if icy and snowy winters aren't the norm. Here where I live, everyone drives with studded or good mud & snow tires from about November until April or May. You even have to carry chains in your vehicle. Required.

Got to go,

Jeanette

Will attempt to get some personals from yesterday/this morning accomplished ... DH sure wants attention when he's home in the AM! OK- Got 3 little old personals done! More later

:7 :7 BUFFY:
If you're reading... {{{{{{surgery}}}}}}}} thoughts & prayers with you!

:7 :7 TRACY:
I did indeed decide NOT to add on Shoulders / Arms yesterday & decided to throw it in with Yoga today. It was a schedule thing for me but my meeting got cancelled due to ice storm so I had more time today. I commend you for doing Plyo yesterday even w/ the Leg Blast DOMS. I bet you did better than you give yourself credit for!

:7 :7 LAURIE:
Happy Plyo Day! I subbed in Imax 1 yesterday with concentrated focus on making the intervals PlyoX and MAN OH MAN what a difference! Tony has really taught me that if you focus on a specific goal to accomplish in each & every workout you really get the job done. I used to do the Imax's focused on cardio interval... Now they will be PLYO /LOWER focused for me. I also kept reminding myself to hold in abs and I actually felt the workout in there too!

:7 :7 JEANETTE:
WooHoo on todays pump! That is the GREATEST feeling isnt it? I have never felt stronger in my life...great confidence builder for me. RE: Puffiness. I found that when my muscles started responding to increased weights I had about 4-8 days of ultra puffy that made me feel like I had gone back 10 steps. Hang tough! As far as diet... I really find it hard to eat when I'm not hungry so I usually do a 150-200 cal protein shake because I know the protein is so important for muscle growth. I just read yesterday (not thats its a fact!) that competitors actually drink a protein shake just before bed because that way muscles are being repaired all night long. It was on some muscle website. I live in Houston so NO we are in no way prepared for ice/sleet. Dallas is North of us and they have ice every year... we are on the gulf of Mexico so its really warm & tropical- very Florida like. 80 car accidents reported since 3am just in Houston and 1 fatality... very sad. DH was going to go in at 5am as usual and I just broke into tears I was so scared so he stayed home. I told him that running a technology company IS NOT considered "essential personnel". He's going buggy sitting here. But at least he's safe.

More to follow!

:7 :7 :7 :7

Okay - so life is back to normal now and I have decided I do not want to be off schedule for P90X. I think I will either cut out yoga or make another adjustment this week to get me back on track.

Last night I did Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps and ARX -- what an awesome workout! It felt so good (and hard!) I think that this may be my favorite strength workout in the whole P90x rotation. I love the variety of pushups and the shoulder work. I feel pumped this morning - and my core is very tight from ARX.

Due to the power outage I didn't workout on Saturday, Sunday or Monday -- but I almost think that it helped me???? I felt very ready to go and work hard. Post P90x I may try to come up with a five day / week rotation and take Saturday and Sunday off each week. Maybe just light stretching or go for walks on the weekend.

I hope that everyone is staying warm and safe. It is very cold in St. Louis today, supposed to get down to 8 degrees tonight. We are keeping our faucets dripping while at work so that our pipes don't freeze. I can't wait for spring!!!!

Monica

Hi all,

Laurie – I finally have come to appreciate ch/sh/tri because of the great variety, but I still think it is one of the most difficult.

Jeanette – I live in VA, many miles from where you are…..Funny you should talk about the puffiness. I can’t figure out what is going on with me. One day the pants are tight, the next they are loose, I can really feel the muscles and they are tight, the next week they are saggy. My husband swears that the hormones have an impact on the tightness of the muscles. I think that I have to agree with him. These last few puffy times I’m fighting the urge to cut calories because every time in the past that this is happened and I cut calories I end up getting sick or compromising my performance. My whole upper body was really puffy after ch & bk and yesterday too ( no one would probably notice but me) and now has gone down some today. I have no research to back this up, but I think that it is part of the growth process. I’ve been eating 5-6 times per day too and I’ve been eating when I’m not really hungry. Yesterday I waited too long and then had that nasty binge feeling which was hard to control. I still think for me eating a determined amount of food before I reach the point of no return is the best way to eat what is best for helping me to make muscle gains and perform. I have been zig zagging protein and carbs with the workouts though. If I don’t add the extra carbs when I do the aerobics then I start getting the desire to bake a cake. Silly huh?

Traci – I hope DH gets to work OK. I think Cathe’s workouts can become something all together new if you focus on landing softly and engaging the core. When I did step just recently I did that and it was much more challenging. It’s all about perspective, focus, and goal setting. My son has been telling me that for some time.

Monica – ch/Sh/tri really is a great core workout. I love getting up the next day and my core looking tight. I actually have developed a good amount of control of my lower abs. I’m really excited about that. I like to be on track too. There is something about not being on schedule that bothers me, but I’m trying to be more relaxed about that kind of stuff. For me, taking 2 days off every now and then is good, but I couldn’t do it on a regular basis. Working out provides me with a stress relief that I have to have.

Debra – Glad the mammogram went ok. I have very dense breast tissue too and I’ve been seeing a surgeon twice a year, just as a back up for the mammograms because they don’t always catch things in dense tissue. The tissue in one of mine wraps around too.

Tracy

More Personals now that DH is safe & sound at the office....

PH 3 /Week 3/ Day 3&4....Shoulders & Arms + Yoga today to be back on track
:7 :7 8 workouts + Abs to finish the MONSTER ....... YIPPEE!!!!!!!!

:7 :7 MONICA:
Hope life is starting to go back to normal and that your "babies" are home again. LOL at you & Tracy, ME TOO on the being off schedule neurosis! I just make myself crazy with it... We are very similar in how our bodies respond to days off... I dislike taking them because I get out of habit so quickly but my performance really sufferes when I dont take them. My next P90X round I am going to workout daily and rest whenever my body feels it need to... sometimes I have really felt like I was overtraining with the 6 on schedule because of the muscle intensity.

:7 :7 DB:
Caught you yesterday so just a wish for a FABULOUS day!

:7 :7 DEBRA:
Great job with gains in B*B yesterday! Love hearing those reports..so motivating. Todays add on sounds downright devilish! Hope you really get those legs burning. A long weekend sounds fabulous... Why dont ya want your friend to see the Dreya Rolls???? lol

:7 :7 SANDRA:
So happy you enjoyed the "bubbles".... I love hearing your sane perspectives... especially when I'm having hormone flux AGAIN this month. How's this weeks writing/editing goals coming along? Hope its all working out for you after last weeks roll!

:7 :7 X: Hope you are OK as well! Seems we were missing some people yesterday...Was it a holiday and nobody told me???? lol Have a great workout today.

:7 :7 LEA:
Plyo on a popcorn dinner? Oh my- I dont think I could ever attempt that ! Happy you have your house back all to yourself! I love when my routine is back!!!

:7 :7 STEPH:
Hope all is OK in your world! Great day to you!!!

:7 :7 GAYLE:
Ya still here???

All caught up so end of excuses.... off to BRING IT!

:7 :7

TRACI -- that is a great idea!! Just work out daily and take a rest day when you feel you need it. Sometimes doing six days straight is exhausting to me to. Just do the workouts in the proper order and take days off when needed. I think I will definitely do that the next time around. You are so smart!

Monica

D/Ph3/Wk2/Day 4

Just getting my post in here so I can read everyone elses. No time for personals today, although I wish you all a wonderful day and appreciate so much the motivation this message board gives me. Thanks!

Tonight is Yoga X. Thank goodness once again. I find, though, that doing L&B the day after Yoga is a severe challenge, and I really think the program is set up that way. My legs are pretty much exhausted by L&B day, then add Kenpo the next day, and they're toast (that's if you get real low in the block section like all you guys talked about). Last night was S&A & ARX. It was also a doubles day for me - usually add in a little cardio - but I just couldn't bring myself. It's really hard to fit in 2 hours of working out in the evenings. I really need to a trick to help me get up in the morning to get a portion of my w/o done. UGH!

Do great things today ladies - I know you will!

Classic/Ph2/Week 3/Day 3

Hello everyone! It sounds like everyone is having pretty crummy weather. Well I guess we can say that winter is finally here. I am glad that everyone is still bringing it though. Today I did shoulder and arms and arx. I am definately feeling the effects of all the partying that has been going on around here. I went to Trader Joe's today and bought all of the healthy food to get my arss back on track. I only have a week and half of intense workout and I better show something for it.

And FINALLY some personals:

Tracy - So the countdown continues. Good thinking doing ARX right when you wake up. That one is a trial for me too. Probably because we have been doing it for soooo long and 3x's a week. Gets tiresome. I still can't do all of the exercises at the beginning, the backward bicycle kills my hip flexors. Sorry it is so cold there today.

Traci - And you too, the countdown is continuing. Grad day is almost here. Hip Hip Hooray!!! I am soooo ready to do some different workouts. Sorry that you are having such bad weather over there. I am glad that your DH made it safely. And YES!!! I love having my house and routine back. Except today, I have to clean it up a little. Guess we won't hear from you in for a while since you are doing both days 3&4 you crazy woman:+ .

Laurie - Good luck with the plyo today. Some days I am on and some days I am off with this one. It definately is a tough workout.

Jeanette - Great job on upping the weights yet again. I am going to start calling you Wonder Woman. Yeah, the puffiness is a really weird thing. One week I can fit into my smallest size jeans and the next, I can't even fit into my regular jeans. It's weird how we go up and down. It must have something to do with the muscle growth. Hang in there. Your puffiness will go away, I promise. How has working out with the DH been?

Monica - I am so glad that you had a great workout with C/S/T and ARX. Please stay warm.

DB - Have a great workout with Yoga X tonight. That's on the schedule for me tomorrow and I CAN'T WAIT!! Good for you for sticking with the doubles. How is that working out for you? I am thinking of doing that as my next rotation before summer.

Debra - I am glad that your mammogram went fine. That's always a relief. I hope that Kenpo treated you well yesterday. Have a great long weekend. I hope that it is warmer for you.

Sandra - Good job doing Plyo. Sometimes we just need to get that Cathe fix in to help us deal with the X. It's great when you can do stretching without any interruptions. I am glad that you had that time to yourself. By the way, I think I remember you writing something about one of Nancy Clark's muffins? Which one was it again? I have to try it. She has some great recipes in her book.

All right everyone. Time to scram. I apologize if I missed anybody. Have a great day. Stay warm.

Lea

Hey, X-ers! Yes, I'm still here and reading everyone's posts! I just feel guilty if I don't have time to respond with personals.I have been sick the past couple of days, and in my lower back I still get a really bad twinge when I step or move a certain way. I am feeling really down right now, because I'm off on my rotation, haven't worked out for 2 days, and I'm still weak today from being sick so I don't think I'll be able to work out today, either. Also, I don't want to aggravate my back so I don't know how long I should go without working out. Things were really going good, I was feeling strong and on top of the world, and now I'm on hold. It's so frustrating! I don't know whether to go to the chiropractor or just rest or what. Now I dread getting back into the rotation becaue I'll feel like such a weakling. Well, I hope I didn't drag everyone down. It sounds like everyone is doing great and getting stronger - I'm so impressed with all of your progress! Hopefully, I can get back later with some personals!

Keep warm and stay strong X-ers!
Steph

Steph - Please don't worry about working out right now. The most important thing is that you get better. Your body is telling you that you need to rest if you are week. I would wait until you are over being sick before going to the chiropractor. I really hope that you feel better. And please don't feel guilty about not working out. It will be there when you are ready.

Lea

CL/PH2/WK3/Day3: Back & Biceps; ARX

Good day!

Mmmmm. Great, great workout today. I prefaced P90X with Step,Jump&Pump warm up and step combos. I've always loved that little step workout as a way to get the blood moving, but it isn't strenuous. And it's short. Great for an add-on. I have to say, I'm not feeling any decline in cardio capacity after 6 weeks without Cathe. Of course, I haven't attempted the workouts that used to seriously challenge me (IMAX3, MIC, HCE#3 etc.). On Saturday I will do the KickMax Blast Challenge at the end of KenpoX, and that will tell the tale. I had the enthusiasm to work hard with B&B today. I brung it good. Raised many of my weights, inflated my forearms to twice their size, increased my pull/chin up count. I feel like I got good things accomplished today.

I wish I had the video camera rolling this morning. DD2 was having a *ball* doing her own workout on my step. While I was getting set up, I turned Step Blast on for her to dance to, and she went to town on the step. Arms up, feet stomping, hands clapping, bum wiggling. OMG, beyond adorable. When Cathe did the walk around the step, she stepped down and went around, too. I began my workout quite late because I was having such a fun time watching her. She was very irate when I told her it was my turn. I gave her my high step topped to play on, and she was NOT happy with that. Thank heavens SJP step is so short. When I finished, she stopped all her protesting, and immediately climbed back on the step and started wiggling again. I'll be charging up the video cam batteries tonight. Of course, she'll never do it quite the same way again....

It sounds like many of you are getting some icky weather. Stay warm and safe. Have a cup or two of Ghirardelli's hot chocolate. Say "ooohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm......."

Jeanette - Please don't try cutting your calories just yet. Wait until after your recovery week. Cathe has said numerous times that the body will retain water when you do heavy strength training. The muscles need it for recovery, I believe is what she says. Give your muscles the recovery week to, well, recover, and see if the puffiness drops. JMO. I really, really doubt that you are gaining fat. You eat too well, and exercise too hard. Treat your body with love, give it what it needs to perform what you ask of it. If, after your recovery week, you're still on the upswing, then yes, maybe you need to drop your portions (seems like cruel and unusual punishment, though :) ).

Traci - awesome job on IMAX1 yesterday. You got me wanting to do it now! I personally think that's the one with the best plyo stuff in it. No fancy choreography, just down and dirty anaerobic activity - repeated a thousand times. I counted once: IIRC, did you know that in that workout you do 72 plyo-jacks?? I could be off a bit, but the number is close. Ouch. I agree - DH is essential personnel only to his family, and staying home was the smartest thing he could do. I wish people would take that approach around here. But we've got some kind of macho-Canadian thing that happens in bad weather. People refuse to admit that the roads are all "that bad", so out they go. Granted, our city, roads and people are better equiped to deal with snow and ice, but that doesn't make it all easier. Last week we had a huge blizzard from Tuesday evening until Wednesday afternoon. At 4:00 on Weds I had to drive up the street to pick up DD from the bus stop - 'cause they refuse to close the bloomin' schools. I had to drive because even though it's a 5 min walk, the sidewalks were knee-deep with snow, and the temps were too low for me to want to take the baby out. As it happens, my car got stuck in our back alley. So I had to take the baby to the neighbour's (thank heavens she was home), and while the other very kind neighbours dug me out (I was blocking their driveway LOL), I had to trudge up the street and meet DD1. I shook my head the whole time, wondering how important one day of school is?? Thanks for asking about my writing. I'm currently editing a very difficult chapter. But, like last week, I've set some mini-goals to get through it. I'm doing okay so far. I may have to take an entire day this week to complete it, though. It's slow going. I want to change almost every word. Good luck with your workout today!!! You have quite a challenge on your plate!

Monica - ooooooh, you have having a tough week. Your power outage sounds like a dreadful experience. I have to ask as innocently as possible: if your pets could stay at the relatives', how come you and your family couldn't, as well? Do you guys typically get these low temps in the winter, or is this an anamolly? Glad you liked Ch-Sh-Tri! I don't find it all that bad, either. I actually find the moves almost too "fancy" for me to get as much out of them as I do in Chest & Back. But even after doing it for the 3rd time this week I still got DOMS in my triceps, so I guess it's still working.

Tracy - I also start wanting to bake cakes, etc when I'm not taking in enough carbs. It's our bodies' way of telling us what we need, I guess. Was it you who, yesterday, talked about the "Sandra planks"? Or was that Jeanette? Anyway, I lol'd! I never thought I'd have an exercise named after me!

Lea - nice to see you posting again! I wish we had a Trader Joe's around here. They sound like a great place to shop. I made Nancy's molasses,date&flax muffins. It's the only recipe of hers I've ever tried, but I've made them many times. Tasty, healthy, and not overly sweet. Quite nice. Which other ones do you suggest I try?

Stephanie - Oh, I'm so sorry you've been sick, and injured!! I completely understand your frustration and worry. But foremost of all is your health. Be patient, get everything working properly again, then pick up where you left off. You will NOT lose any conditioning with only a few days off. You will probably come back stronger. If your back continues to bother you after a few days' rest, then you probably should see someone about it. And drink a ton of water. If you've been so sick, you're probably dehydrated, and that will leave you feeling weak. Good luck! And we'll still be here when you get better. ((((hugs))))

Have a good afternoon,
Sandra

STEPH -- Just take care of yourself. Do not sweat missing workouts. If it makes you feel better I had to take three days off this weekend due to a power outage -- it's no big deal. You just start back off where you left off. Hang in there!

SANDRA -- I understand your question -- we could have stayed with my family too, however my husband was being macho man and refused to leave the home. I could have left him there, but I couldn't bear the thought of him all alone in the freezing cold house. He was worried that a tree might come through the roof or burst water pipes and he would need to be there to take care of it. As for CH-SH-TRi -- how about that last shoulder move that is a three in one move?? It is killer! Even though I hate doing all the push-ups because they force me to challenge myself, they really work the chest as well as other muscles assisting better than any chest presses I have done!

Has anyone checked out the interesting P90X vs. Cathe thread on the Open Discussion forum?

Monica

Hi to all!! Sounds like everyone has had great workouts today. I did Kenpo and then added on the floor work premix from Butts and Guts which has legs and abs. My butt-ocks were burning!!! I am heading to Charleston, SC for an extra long weekend with my bestest friend. I will be celebrating my 40th b-day...Woo-Hoo!! I will probably not have time tomorrow for a workout before my flight and then, of course, I will be out of pocket over the weekend...My DD and I do not come home until Tuesday evening. I am sure I will not be following the eating plan at all, but at least I will gets lots of good seafood! I have already packed my yoga and stretch dvds...So I will be ready for my recovery week workouts. I can't believe that I am almost to Phase 3. I will be interested if my girlfriend notices any changes since she last saw me right before I started the X.

Have got to run for now...Have great workouts and a fun weekend everyone!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

FINALLY got my w/o done at 4pm! Today was just a lost day for me so personals will have to wait until AM again. Sorry for the 1x a day LENGTHY posts. Great night to all & we'll catch up with todays scoobies in the AM I promise!

Final stats on Shoulders & Arms is in. My weights jump from 15-20 and 20's were not at all doable for me. Will be investing in something for the 16-19# range. I'm sure going to miss this one!

Alternating Shoulder Press
Week 1: 8#
Week 11: 15#

In & Out Bicep Curls
Week 1; 8#
Week 11: 15# wish I had 16/17 to try

TwoArm Tricep kickbacks
Week 1: 6#
Week 11: 10#

Deep Swimmers Presses
Week 1: 8#
Week 11: 15# wish I had 16/17 to try

Full Supination Concentration Curls
Week 1: 10#
Week 11; 15#

Chair Dips
Week 1: 20 level 1
Week 11: 15 level 2

Upright Rows
Week 1: 10
Week 11: 15's wish I had 16/17 to try

Static Arm Curls
Week 11: 15's wish I had 16/17 to try

Flip Grip Twist Tricep Kickback
Week 1; 6#

2 angle Shoulder Flys
Week 1: 6
Week 11: 12#

Crouching Cohen Curls

Lying Tricep Extensions

In & Out Straight Arm Flys
Week 11: 12#

Congdon Curls
Week 1: 10#

Side Tri Rises
Week 1; 10 each side
Week 11: 15 per side (form was much better as well)

Hi all,

Tonight was sh and arms. I did the wu and 1st two step sections only of new Cathe LIC, I think that's the name, and then some squats and deadlifts first. I'm probably the only one who is disappointed in the routine but I think it just has way too many filler 3 knee repeaters. IMO not one of her best works, LM was much better.

Anyway I did good with the legs, but I really struggled with the upper body work. I'm proud to say that I just didn't quit, which of course I never do, but it sure was a tempting thought. It could have been more mental than physical because I was able to increase a lot of my weights but at the end I had to decrease some. I think that I am still fatigued from Monday's workout and I thought about waiting until tomorrow to do this and I probably should have, but there is a schedule and I thought I probably should follow it! (horrible run on sentence!) I think I'm to a point where I'm going to have to stay at these weights for a week or two because I can feel some twinges and strains and maybe I need to build up all of the muscles more before I increase again. I've increased my weights about 30% over the almost 90 days which is pretty good.

Traci - Great job on the weight increases. Sometimes I just hold my 1 lb ankle weights or what about wearing the weighted gloves to get small increases in weight? I know what you mean about big weight increases. My dumbells go from 18.5 to 22 then 27 and that is way too much.

DB - I'm looking forward to yoga x tomorrow too. I usually also do a run, but if I don't feel any better, there is no way. The shock of L&B really did something to my legs. I'm hoping it was for the good. It's harder than it seems.

Lea - Yeap, I don't think that you can sustain this type of physical activity and not eat right. I've had a couple of slips and paid for them in performance.

Stephanie - I'm sorry you're sick and you're back still hurts. Ab work really helped to support my back when mine was tweeked too. I pulled out some Cathe because it's easier. My problem sounds similar to yours, a slight move in the wrong direction and shooting pain plus I could hardly get my left leg up. I hope you feel better soon.

Sandra - I like a little extra warmup sometimes before I start too. I think that I end up doing better. You're little girl sounds so cute. I only have boys, none of that fun stuff. I'm going to have to pull out IMAX 1 and try to land softly. It could be a whole new experience.

Debra - Enjoy your trip, the food, and friends. We are having a cold spell in DC, I hope Charleston is better. It never got out of the 30s here today.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.