X'ers......TGIF.....Jan 19

taprice

Cathlete
Hi all,

I have arx and legs and back on tap for today. I'm not sure what I will end up doing because I had a twinge in my left shoulder and I don't want to aggrevate it with all of those pull ups. I may have to make an adjustment. I'll see how it feels this afternoon. This is a hard phase because you have four solid weeks of hard work. Personally, a rest week would sound really good to me right now! Oh well, just a little over two weeks left.

I hope everyone is doing well and I'll bbl.

Tracy

Hi Xers!

I have to confess that I have been posting on a small, private thread that I've been part of for a year called "Fitchicks". Most of these lovely women are highly interested in figure competition and in some cases are in a training program. Most are in their 40's which is incredible. They have been very interested and motivated by my P90X program which I continue to enjoy immensley.

Classic Hybrid/Ph1/Wk3/Day18

P90X Classic Hybrid/Phase1/Wk3/Day17

Tues-Chest and Back / Turbo Jam20 + Ab Ripper
Wed- Cathe's Hardcore Extreme #3 (HIIT, plyometrics)
Thur- Shoulders and Arms + Ab Ripper X
Fir- Kenpo
Sat- Legs and Back + Ab Ripper
Sun- Cardio, outdoor run or step w/o

Shoulders and Arms
1:10
Avg HR 104/142
Kcal= 409

My P90X/Cathe rotation is smoking’! I picked up a small 6lb ball and have thrown that in with some of the ARX exercises, like V up roll ups, leg climbers, Masons and the sit up where you twist to the side. Abs are developing nicely.

While I really like Plyometrics, I just love the immense challenge of Hardcore Extreme #3. I think it’s tougher than Plyo and does a lot of jumps similar to Plyo with an emphasis on leg training through HIIT. After nearly 2 year of doing HCE #3, I still haven’t mastered it which is why I have chosen it for my rotation. BTW, I do not do the standing leg exercises at the end. Always a great calorie burn between 400-500kcal.

I finally received the P90MS and was very disappointed with the quality and set in the Sweat, Core Cardio, Cardio Interval DVD’s. I have not previewed the weight workouts. I think that so many of the exercises in P90X are taken from MS and ramped up. I am thrilled to have P90X because it is the real deal, sound, production and set quality are far superior. Not sure if I’ll end up using them. If anyone would like the MS, PM me and I’ll send it to you for half price.

I received my Turbo Jam, previewed the Learn and Burn and jumped right into Cardio Party. I like it for a “core cardio” workout, but not for a steady state and obviously it’s not an interval w/o. I am a purist with kickboxing form. That’s why I enjoy Kenpo and Cathe’s KPC so much. So it’s funny to do the tuck form turbo jamming but I did feel it in my abs the next day. It’s a keeper as an “add on” to weight days.

So, I will be entering me 4th week and my first rest/recovery week which I am looking forward to with delight. You may notice that I chose to forego the weekly Yoga in place of more cardio (But not too much). I do love Yoga and understand the benefits, so I am looking forward to doing some Yoga in my rest week.

Finally, I have found recording my workouts quite interesting and motivating. I am surprised at the calorie burn for the weight w/o’s. Shoulders and Arms especially surprised me but I did add ARX into that session.

Hope I didn’t hijack the thread! If any of you decide to do a Hybrid, you will love it! The best of both worlds.

X

Hey guys! Good morning! I missed you yesterday, just busy!

X-I really like Kenpo X because you really focus on the punches and kicks. Now, I LOVE Cathe's Cardio Kicks as well, but I feel that's more cardio and core and upper body, while I feel Kenpo X really concentrates on core and upper body? Because you take all the jumping and movements out of Kenpo, you really get to work the punches and stuff!

Tracy-be careful with your shoulder. I have to watch my left one when I do the move where you bring the weights up against the front of your body with shoulders higher than elbows (drawing a blank on its name, lol) because I get a weird twinge in there too!

My 2 cents! LOL

Yesterday I did Low Max in place of Plyo X. My legs were really really sore from PLB on Tuesday. YIKES! Then I got an hour in at the pool, where I learned the breast stroke.

Then this morning was Arms & Shoulders. I think my inability to type accurately right now is proof that I'm really zoning in on the perfect weight for each exercise! LOL. Never thoughts I'd be pumping the heavy weights that I'm using. After I get the boys on the bus, I'm headed back to the Y for an hour-long swim. Planning on 9 intervals, each with the 3 different strokes that I've learned.

HOW IS EVERYBODY? You all ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Gayle

Morning Gang.... Hope mother nature is calming a bit for everyone so we can all enjoy the weekend!

PH 3- Week 3 - Day 5/6 lol STILL cathching up!
Today is Kenpo + yesterdays Legs & Back... I actually have combined these before and REALLY love the "full body" feeling. Just gotta get it done!

For those who dont normally read previous nite posts my last post has some info for ya that you may be interested in.....

SANDRA: Forgot to say in yesterdays post to you that I cannot decide which DD pic is cuter... You know I love the cake one but my goodness those little weights/step.... had me tear up. I do think you may have a future fitness guru in your home.

JEANETTE: I'm still stuck on tricep thoughts...lol (obsessive?)
Have you always had great triceps or is this a body fat issue? I ask because during my monthly LEAN week I actually have really good tricep definition... Like I do a double take in mirror.... BUT there is still jiggle. Whats up w/ that & what can I do about it? Since you have conquered the "extra arm wave" I thought Id go to the expert! Funny you mentioned power scissors * Mary Catherines... Thats exactly what I did this week with Imax 1... As a matter of fact I found myself doing Tonys variations of many of the blasts.

Tracy: Glad to hear that I'm not alone in finding chest a tough one to target w/ traditional work. I always have used weights that I are really tough for me and still nothing.... Its a sad sad day knowing that pushups of all variations will forever be in my rotation! lol
GREAT suggestion to Steph about Citrus fruit! I always forget that little trick to get rid of bulk. Hope your body mellows out! I am right there with ya on feeling like I am soooooo going to miss our much loved recovery week next week..... Mentally its just one last HURRAH that Tony threw in I think. Time for "Get you game face on!"

X: Sorry you dont like MS.... As you know from my posts I adore them and you actually are 100% EXACTLY accurate in saying<<<"I think that so many of the exercises in P90X are taken from MS and ramped up>>>... It was the program before P90X was created.... P90X was actually created because MS graduatuates said Whats Next. I get the disappointment w/ set... I love X feeling like a gym but I got past that as I dont watch screen all that much. I bet you can sell it if you really arent happy with it tho. Glad your rotation is working for you! Great job!

GAYLE: Hi there stranger! You are indeed a busy woman! Glad you are enjoying your GayleX Program! Your energy is truly amazing.

Think thats it! Have a great morning

Good Morning Everyone!

Today is L&B and ARX, little cardio too. Last night was rest. Well, I did do a 3 mile power walk in the freezing cold with my mom (definitely included some hills), but I don't really count that. Just a much needed walk to burn off the margarita I had at dinner! :)

Gayle - How'd you do with the breastroke? That was always the toughest stroke for me. I don't have the knees for it. Also, I'm more stockily built rather than long and lean, and I think the latter build helps. Keep up the good work with you swimming classes!

X - Great input on the workouts! 6 lb. med ball addition to ARX - holy cow! Although ARX has definitely gotten easier for me, I don't think I've graduated to med ball status yet. You've inspired me to hold a two pound ankle weight tonight though. Maybe I'll even go for a 3 lb. weight if I feel so inspired. Thanks for the motivation!

Traci - I'd love to see your spreadsheets. I've worked up some excel spreadsheets myself and would love to share them with you as well. I grouped all the videos I have by intensity (easy, moderate, hard) and by muscle group or cardio. It's still a rough rotation, but I'd love to do a little exchange. Your sheets might help me decide what videos I'll need to purchase next.

Question for everyone - I really like Kenpo and also own KPC, but what about KickMax. I haven't seen many people comment on it as a sub for Kenpo. Is it worth the purchase?

TGIF!! Have a wonderful day!

Morning X'ers,

Classic/Ph2/Week3/Day4

Today will be Yoga X for me.

I'm looking forward to my recovery week also. Only 3 more days. :)

DB, I like Kickmax, but it has about 15 min of all out cardio. Lots of jumping! It's one of those dread factor video's for me. The punching and kicking in this one are good, but I really like the leg conditioning drills the best. :)

Have a great day!

Laurie

Hey Laurie,

Thanks for the input. Sounds more like a partial Plyo sub than Kenpo. Maybe a mixture of both...?

Lucky you on recovery week. Enjoy!

DB-Personally, I don't care for Kick Max. Once in a while I'll do it for a change, but I really don't care for it. I do, however, like the leg blast drills at the very end of that workout as an add-on to other lower body work!

As for swimming, the breast stroke is tough to coordinate. I told my instructor I felt like I was trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time. LOL. Once I got the hang of the timing of the legs vs the arms, I was much better! LOL

Gayle

Hi all,

Classic/Phase 2/Week 3/Day 5

I was in the middle of a post and then lost it. I'll write more later if I don't finish now. Did Legs & Back this morning, upping all of my pullup work and going heavier. I can't believe how much I've been able to increase every workout and yet, I don't get that sore. I think I'm working to failure too because I stop the lat pulldowns when I can't pull the bar down to face level. Anyways, I'm pleased about that.

Tracy, hope the shoulder doesn't bother you today during L&B. I've had little twinges from time to time but somehow the next workout doesn't seem to be an affected part. Hope that's the same for you. Rest week is coming soon, hang on!

X - I PM'd you re: the Master Series. What site is Fitchicks? Sounds interesting. I lurk on Video Fitness P90X checkin and Beach Body if I have time. Sounds like you are really working this rotation just right for you. I'll probably be doing it differently next time I do it too. Just depends on my focus next time and if I can do it when cycling season starts. It is super motivating to post my workout reps and weights. I'm am soooo competitive with myself, I can't believe it. Traci was sweet and sent me excel forms for Cathe's other workouts.

Gayle, I too like KenpoX for focusing on the punches and kicks. Like the pace of it better. Hoping my DH will do it with me tomorrow. Last Saturday he did it with me but our 2 boys walked in while he was 1/2 way into it and then he got a little self-conscious. Silly him.
I never could do breast stroke very well. Our little town closed it's pool a couple years ago so we have no place to swim.

Traci, thanks again for sending the worksheets! You are a real sweetie pie!!! So you are doing the full body workout today? You go girl! Wish I had more time in the morning but that's the way it goes (until retirement in about 7 years). Triceps, hmmm. I've always had a bit of a dip in my tricep area even before working out so maybe part of it is genetics, but it's gotten so much stronger now. P90X has really brought it out. I do have the dreaded wrinkled area (elephant skin) above my elbows, nothing I can do about that. Guess we all have body parts that we wish were different. Tracy has the narrow hips that I so wish I had, but then, I've never had to really battle my waistline too much. However, I notice, being 48 and perimenopausal that I have to fight flab starting in that area more than I ever had to before. Sigh.

I'm out of time, got to jump in the shower now and get ready for work.

BBL,

Jeanette

I should have more time after work to post.

Lurker here - lol -

I just started in Jan - so posting on that thread...

But I read on yesterday's post that someone here has the spreadsheets for Cathe's weight workouts?

I would LOVE to get them somehow?? I am an idiot on the whole PMing someone and stuff. So any directions would be great :) I will check back later to see if anyone has simple idiot proof instructions for me.......

Have a great day!!!

Hi guys!

Well -- my goal to stay on track this week totally fell apart. Losing three days without power and then having to catch up on life just didn't fit in with P90X. I will start next week fresh with Phase 2, Week 2. This week I did get in Chest, Shoulders, & Tris and ARX. I also subbed kickboxing and plyo into one by doing Kick Max on Wednesday. Tonight I will do Back and Biceps and ARX, then tomorrow the Butts & Guts without the Guts. Then is is back to P90x next week.

DB -- I saw you mention Kick Max above. I feel it is a good sub for a combination of Plyo and Kenpo -- the challenge portion was very high impact and got my heart rate up even more than in PlyoX -- but it is only for about 15 minutes. The kickbox section of Kick Max is sort of lower intensity then KPC, more in line with Kenpo. I felt it was a good fit for me this week when I just cannot fit in anything.

JEANETTE -- Congratulations on the gains you are experiencing! That is awesome!

TRACY -- Definitely take it easy on your shoulder - you would be really mad if you over did it and had a longer term problem keeping you from working it.

X -- Wow! You are really brining it! Using weight during ARX is a good idea for when I feel I have mastered the workout. I am considering trying Turbo Jam myself. Was glad to read your opinion. Enjoy your recovery week.

TRACI -- Mother nature is calming down and I am getting back to regular life. Good luck on your workout today -- that is a lot of working!!!

Everyone have a great day!!!!!

Monica

Classic/Phase 3/Week 3/Day 5

Hi X'ers. Did back and legs today and was doing really well until my pull up bar fell while I was doing pull ups. It was kind of funny, so I turned to weights after that since my hubby was using the band. Instead of ARX today the DH and I did Cathe's Coremax, the first one. DH has been having back issues and hasn't been able to do ARX for quite sometime, so I suggested Cathe. Even that was a challenge to me, but I was proud that I was able to keep up with all of the ab work and was able to do all of the plank work that she does, which is a first for me. Yippee.

Will do personals later. I have to take my older DS to school and then I was going to take my youngest on a bike ride because it has been really nice outside.

Have a great day everyone. And great job on another week of bringing it :).

Lea

Hi Lea,

I'm glad you are okay after your pull-up bar falling. I would love it if my DH would work out with me! How fun!

I look forward to doing Cathe's Core Max workouts after P90X. The plank work in Segment 1 was always hard for me too. I feel ready to take it on though!

Have a nice weekend,
Monica

Afternoon pop in...

Completed yesterdays Legs & Back + ARX.... felt really off balance today- HR way up entire time. I'll tackle Kenpo this evening as DH is heading out of town until Sunday.

DB: If you'd like the excel spreads just PM me your email address & I'll get them to ya! I'm not at the medicine ball w/ ARX either.... just happy to keep my legs in the air! I'd love to checkout your spreads as well! [email protected]. No rush - just whenever you get a chance. On the KickMax... I really think KickMax is a great Plyo/Kenpo sub. I like it because it isnt 100% of any single thing... I like variety tho.

LAURIE: Hang in there only 3 days to recovery! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

JEANETTE: I get CRAZY when my posts disappear! Your increase in pullups is so exciting! I really cant imagine using a pullup bar as I continually get sore with increasing resistance w/ band over door. YOU GO GIRL! Funny about DH & kids... men really are complicated creatures arent they? I guess I'll have to have you send me a 12 week pic of your firm tricep area to post in my workout area for on-going motivation!!!!! You are so welcome for the spreads...

REBA: click on my username at top of this post.... that screen says "SEND private message" click on that & there ya go! I'll be happy to send out to you.

MONICA: I am soooooo sorry about your week..... things do happen for a reason so take it to mean that your body needed a P90X break. I commend you for doing what you did... many would have thrown in towel completely. Happy to hear about Mother Nature! We too are warming up too normal winter temps- 50-60's.

LEA: I'm HORRIFIED about your pullup bar! OMG are you sure you are ok? Gotta say thats my greatest fear w/ ever getting one for myself... I am so afraid of heights (even the step freaks me out) .... AWESOME about Planks!!!! Since P90 & of course "Sandras Planks" I have been so impressed w/ my progress. I have to say that its also been over a month since I've had any lower back discomfort which is fairly common for me. I think my core is FINALLY strenthening. Enjoy your bike ride!!!

Wonderful day to all- I'll be back this evening. PSS: Debra we can play on computer together tonight!!! lol

Hi there. Time to catch up now.

Tracy - I hope that your shoulder feels better. Take it easy on the back exercises if it doesn't let up. We are almost there and I definately don't want to see you hurt during our last weeks. I am hearing you on the four solid weeks of intense workouts. We only have one week and two days left until rest week and then our own schedules. Ahhh..... On the iron front, I take Feosol. It doesn't stop you up. My OBGYN recommended it to me when I was preggers. Hope that you are having a great day.

X - Wow, what motivation to be part of a forum where ladies compete. That is incredible. I am so happy for you that you are seeing results. I'm sorry that you are disappointed in the MS series. You can't like everything right? Looks like I am going to have to check out Turbo Jam. I am glad that the Hybrid is working for you. Keep it up.

Gayle - Way to bring it on Cathe's PLB. With all that swimming too, you must be getting into really great shape!!

Traci - Have fun doing Kenpo and the next to the last legs and back
:(. We are almost there. Keep on pushing. And I agree with you about getting our game faces on. }( Oh and by the way, thanks for the tip on the Eating Clean book. I checked out her website and am definately interested in reading it. What an inspiration she is. But sadly have to wait until football is over, because I can't very well be eating well all of the time when there are partys going on, ya know? By the way, don't be horrified about me falling on my arss. It was funny. Really. No injuries here. But thanks for your concern. Looks like I will be doing bands all week next week ;). That is great that you have stregnthened your core enough to where your back doesn't hurt. What a great feeling that is.

Laurie - Hopefully Yoga X is good for you today. Yay for recovery week.

Jeanette - I hate that. Sorry you lost your post. How frustrating.
Great job on upping everything today. I am glad that I am not the only one not getting DOMS this week from the X. And I am really trying to bring it. It's almost recovery week for you too isn't it?

Monica - Sorry to hear about your week. How rough for you. It seems like you have a good attitude about it though. I think that you will be so ready for Cathe's plank work after the X. Coremax is a completely different workout than ARX and I am kind of feeling it today. DH only works out with me sometimes. He had good intentions at the beginning but he hurt himself so he has been trying to take it easy. And yoga, forget about it.

Everyone else have a great day too.

Lea

Well one of my backordered Santa gifts arrived today.... The door Gym! LOL of course now that I'm just about DONE w/ P90...... gotta love internet ordering!!!!!:7

Question for the gang....
Heres what I'm thinking for a generic rotation to follow after X. HONEST thoughts are welcome.... I've changed it AT LEAST 50 times since January 1... can ya tell I'm getting paranoid? I'll be inserting days off - which will be Yoga for me, as my body tells me to rest... I'm trying to make it as close to X as I can....

1. LowerCardio + Core Cardio (master Series/Core Syn)
IE: plyos, Imaxes, my master series plyos
2. Upper Split
3. SSC Step or Run
4. Lower + Abs: IE: GS legs
5. Upper Split
6. SSC Step or Run
REPEAT SEQUENCE for 30 days

Thanks in advance for all your input!

:7

Hi all,

I read everyone's posts, but no time for personals this is just about me! I did arx today, but I have to say it is getting boring, even with adding weights, and takes a lot of self discipline to do it sooo many times, even if it is really effective! I decided to do a run instead of any weight work. I ran, for me, a respectably paced, 5 miles and walked a few times when I came to really muddy areas or the dogs needed a swim. I trail run along a river and I rarely ever see anyone. It is quite nice. It was only in the low 40s but I broke a great sweat and it felt wonderful! I'll definitely do legs & back tomorrow and maybe kenpox without the gloves.

I have to say that I've always had slight trouble with saddle bags, no matter what I've done, and that area is really looking pretty toned, all without floorwork, what a concept! I have to commend who ever put p90x together because they really did a pretty good job sequencing the workouts and targeting just about everything.

I'll post my tentative post p90x rotation tomorrow. Like Traci, it's been modified numerous times.

Have a great evening.

Tracy

Traci - LOL on the door gym. Guess you will have to do another round of P90X. Looks like I need to order one for me now since the pull up bar ain't happening. Funny, because I just made up a rotation for the month after doing the X today. I am doing Cathe one week, P90MS, the next and switching them back and forth. Of course I still have to do ARX and Yoga X(until I get other yoga dvd's). Your rotation looks good. It is hard now that we aren't going to have anything in writing isn't it? You have gained a lot of knowledge in the last 90 days and you will do fine. Don't worry. And if things don't work out, you can always do the X again right?

Lea

Hi all,
Finally Friday night. I'll do a little posting, reading, then work out DH on back and biceps, do AbX (he and I), and watch some movies. Tomorrow will fit in KenpoX first thing in the morning, then off to Reno to do some shopping. Sunday will be a longer group bike ride (probably around 40-50 miles) as I have a longer ride down in the valley on Feb. 4th (Super Bowl Sunday) and want to do around 60 miles for it (weather permitting).

Monica, I think if I were you, I'd just start over next week. You'll be rarin' to go for sure! I have the first Turbo Jam and enjoy it. The Ab Jam DVD is effective for me. Love the music in it too.

Lea, glad you weren't hurt when your pullup bar fell. Maybe DH and I will do Cathe Coremax tonite instead of AbX for a change. Sounds good to me. Yeppers, it's Recovery Week next week. Last time it fell during Christmas Week and seems like I just lounged around for a few days (but still did my workouts). Don't think I will feel so loungy as I still have to go to work.

Traci, I started out a little off balance too today, but recovered. Sometimes I notice these things but try not to focus on it and it seems to get better. LOL re: the tricep picture. Looks good to me, but maybe not to anyone else except DH. Believe me, I have other problem areas, but feeling strong compensates for it. For instance, I know my legs have flab on the thighs, but for some reason, my legs are pretty strong on the bike. I do like them better since doing P90X though. So great that your back problems have been MIA! A strong core feels great, doesn't it? And like I said, the Sandra planks are MONEY! I need to look up what the Door Gym looks like online. Bet you are excited. You'll be getting lots of use out of it, I'm absolutely certain. I never would have gotten so much back leanness by doing DB's. It's the pullups (or lat pulldowns) that have made the difference. And for chest, it's the pushups. I'm also very excited because "X" is selling me her Master Series!

Thanks, X, for offering me these. My check to you will go out tomorrow morning! I think I'll get some use out of these and also think that DH will be able to use them as he's not P90X ready yet. I do hope he continues working out. I like variety and like the style of lifting in P90X. Less intense cardio is always fine in my book too.

Tracy, think it was fine to take a break from AbX. I may do that tonite and do Core Max or Gilad's Abs or something with DH, unless, of course, he insists upon AbX. We'll see. The run along the river sounds pretty nice. I can't wait to get out and ride my bike on Sunday. Love the fresh air, birds, wildlife, company of friends while riding. Such a high that I'm sure you experience too. I always feel that we are the lucky ones to have found exercise that we enjoy.

Got to go,

Jeanette

CL/PH2/WK3/Day5: Legs & Back; ARX

Good evening,

Jeanette, you don't get the last word today. <Yawn>.

Here's a question for you all. What is "bicast leather"? We bought a new dining table and chairs tonight, and the chairs are described as "rich lustrous bicast leather." For the price of the set, we're surprised that they're leather at all! Just wondering if we inadvertantly ended up with good stuff after all?

I did Low Impact Circuit, w/u, and cardio segments 1-3 as my preface to LB today. I do so enjoy these short, break-a-sweat cardios before the P90X work. My arms were still feeling it from Wednesday's bicep & back work, so I didn't try to push it too much with the pull/chins today. I increased my reps in the assisted ones a bit, but didn't do much unassisted.

Traci - Fabulous picture in your avatar! Which one is DH? You look wonderful. When was the picture taken? Your whole family looks really nice. Lots of kids, holy moley! Were these the band who came to your house for Christmas dinner?

Oh my gosh I'm sleepy. I'm going to have to take more time to reply tomorrow. I know there was lots I wanted to comment on from Thursday's posts.

Good ni.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.