Xers Saturday Antics

6Swans4me

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone has a great day! Today is the Philly Zoo (cold bus, rainy weather, cold bus!). Tonight is Back and Biceps.

Heading out the door for DDcoffee. :9 :)
Wendy

Hi all,

Yesterday ended up being MM upper body only with added push ups and pull ups before each body part. It was a good workout. I'm getting pretty good at feeling like I can get an effective total upper body workout in less than an hour that sufficiently fatigues the muscles so that I feel like twice a week is enough. Then of course Magically hips.

Today is a standing L&G premix, 20 minutes of step, and yoga.

To make a long story short, I came across a friend at work yesterday that herniated discs at L4 and L5 and eventually had to have surgery. She said that everytime she went to the doctor, there were short small-boned white women in there with the exact same problem. So just a word of caution for everyone to be careful and don't ignore subtle signs of overtraining. She had had minor issues like I had, tight glute/ sometimes twinges/stiffness down the leg and in the hip, then picked something up and twisted the wrong way and it was all over.

Just a couple of general comments. I was always more hungry during the X and was really good about having the right stuff around to eat. I'm not eating as much protien now and I'm still as strong, but the muscles don't feel quite as hard. I'm not sure I want to be any bigger because my husband commented the other day that my upper body looked like a young boy's. I'm not sure that is good.....

I also think, JMO, that to give the X a fair chance, you really shouldn't sub too much (except yoga maybe) unless you are just bored out of your mind, which happens.

Have a great day to all who follow.

Tracy

Hi there- I just wanted to pop in and say I've been soo busy as you all are too-I havn't done P90X for about a week and a half but I hope to start it up again next week-wish me luck-

Lea- I'm still havn't researched our trip to Cali in June but thanks for all that info you gave me--hope to catch up with you all soon--deb

Hello Xers! Looks like we're going to have a small group for the next little bit. I'm just about to go give DrillMax a whirl using a variety of bands I picked up on Thursday, and Dad's stability ball. Not sure how it will go, but at least I can make an attempt.

I'll BBL to let you know how it went, and catch up with you all more personally.

Cheers,
SandraX

Classic: Phase 1/ Week 2/ Day 6/ Round 1

Hi All,

Getting ready to do Kenpo with my clothes ON:) Glad to see everyone is having a busy weekend of fun and maybe not so much fun. I'll be cleaning all day and spending time with the family. See all of you on Monday!

Nicole

Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness.
-Earl of Derby-

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=7738930

Good morning,

Today I learned a few combos of Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step. I like her choreography, but it is tough to learn. My remote finger got a workout for sure. Looks like it will be fun once I learn it. I have a tough bike ride tomorrow so didn't want more cardio, legs or upper body stuff today, just seemed like the right thing to do. I'll be doing housework and yardwork today. Enough for working out. Watched "Play Misty for Me" last night. I'd seen part of it back in the late 70's. It was okay, but so dated and the acting isn't very good IMO. Oh well. Maybe it'll be "Little Miss Sunshine" tonite.

Oh yeah, I read on Video Fitness that Tony is making some more X workouts!

Pretty quiet here today.

Wendy, have a great time at the Zoo today. Bet the raincoat is nice. I don't think I even own one. Heck, we're in a drought out here in the west. We sure need rain, fire season is supposed to be a bad one. I think you are looking really good in your pictures. With the better eating, you will look awesome by the end.

Tracy, interesting what you learned about the many short, small boned white women with back injuries. Interesting also the comment from your DH re: looking like a young boy. Did he say he liked that look on you? What are your thoughts on it? I used to think I wanted bigger muscles but not anymore. I like that lean, slimmer look. I have such short arms and legs that more muscle only makes them look shorter. For me, I like definition but not thickness of muscle (or bulk). I have enough muscle for my tastes, just need to get the fat off the top.

Debfer, sorry you have been so busy, but that happens. If it weren't for me getting up early to work out, it wouldn't happen consistently. Were you enjoying the X? I did, but don't have the desire to go back to it for a while. Maybe later in the year, like over the holidays when I did it before. Worked great for helping me not to blow it on the holiday eating (too badly).

Hi Sandra, glad you could check in today. How was Drill Max with bands? Bet you will do fine with it and it will add something different to the workout. How is your Dad's stability ball? Is it different than yours? I'd like to get a new one sometime. Mine is the kind with the knobby bumps all over it and believe me, when doing preacher curls from Supersets yesterday, I had to make sure where my elbows went so as not to hurt them. I should replace it someday and give this one to someone else. Maybe I could just pop it "accidentally"?

Nicole, naked Kenpo would not be for me either. Scarey. As we age, everything seems to start heading south. I'm 48 and believe me, the forces of gravity are definitely at work. I've got to get cleaning now too.

Jeanette

Hi all,

I finished a home made weight circuit with the first 4 segments of low max. It was good and took a little over an hour. Then I did Shiva yoga for an hour. I can now do 6 no cheating calf raises standing on one leg with my bad calf. That’s an improvement. When I first commented on this, I couldn’t do any with that leg.

Wendy – I hope it doesn’t rain on you. I’m about 150 miles south and it looks very ugly here today. Definitely not a good day for the zoo, but maybe it won’t be crowded.

Sandra – I hope that the bands provided a fun and different challenge for DM. I’m still working on trying to stay zipped more often than not. It is quite a challenge and I have to constantly remind myself.

Jeanette – I don’t want to look any bigger. It’s just not becoming on me. I would like to keep my strength though. I feel like a loss of strength is a constant reminder of age. I really just want to be in good enough shape to ride my bike, go hiking, keep up with my kids on vacation, plus do a little running because I enjoy it so much. Small boned white women have quite a few undesirable physical issues to content with. It suc*s getting older.

Nicole – I’m with Jeanette on the naked Kenpo; no way. The brief glance in the bathroom mirror is enough for me everyday.

Well, I got quite a bit done this morning and I’m not doing any more. I should clean, but I just don’t feel like it.

Later,

Tracy

Classic/Phase 1/ Week 3/ Day 3- Shoulders/Arms

Yesterday was Plyometrics and it felt good. I like that one for some reason, and it works you hard! I also added on a "Daily Dose of Bliss" as well in between the 3 batches of cinnamon rolls that I made last night.

The cinnamon rolls are for a co-worker who is leaving and tonight is her last night, so I wanted to do something nice. Anyway, I also made a batch for the neighbors who have helped us out a lot. And of course I had to leave some for DH....'quality control'! Many people say that mine are better than Cinnabon's, but since I don't eat them, I wouldn't know.

SandraX- I hope that you are able to kick out DM with the bands and ball. I don't see how you wouldn't be able to, it just takes some creativity!

Jeanette- I will have to check out VF! I just started lurking there a couple of weeks ago after getting SQUEEZE.

No more shipments of workouts for me, although I am waiting for Xflowsion. That looked like a lot of fun to me....then again Traci has enabled me into looking at different workouts than I normally would have and loving them!!!

I hope that you all have a nice evening. I will be working and hoping that it's a good evening. As a nurse, we tend to be superstitious....it's not good to work on a full moon night (the wacko's are out!) and it's even worse to work on Friday, 13th with a full moon! So, as a result, we don't say the "Q" word at work, we just say that we hope that it's 'uneventful'!!!;-)

Hi again!

Well, I did DrillMax this morning. The bands are working just fine, although dumbells are preferred. When you're doing band work, I forgot that when you lower your arms down, the bands relax, and so you get a "rest" at the bottom of each repetition. Oh well, it will be fine for the week. I didn't feel like I was working overly hard with the bands today, but am feeling a bit of fatigue in my arms, so I guess I did them some good. For the step portions of DM I just used my mat as a 0" "step". It works just fine that way, as it kept my legs and feet moving in coordination with the workout.

Wendy - How was the zoo? Did anyone comment on your dress and sneakers? If they did, I believe it's acceptable to throw poo at them (you're at a zoo).

TracyX - Your upper body looks like a young boy's, hm? I'm not sure how to take that, either. Obviously you're making a noticeable change, so that's good!! LowMax is a workout built for adaptation. It's got so many potential uses. That's pretty swift improvement on your calf muscle. Nice! I'm having a hard time remembering to stay zipped, too. And to do my pelvic floor exercises. You'd have thought I'd be able to more than get them in yesterday, with a 4 hour plane ride and all, but I don't think I did even one.

Debfer - nice to see you back. Are you going to start over from Day 1 again, or just pick up where you left off?

Nicole - I hope you had fun with those vertical punches today. That's my favourite part of that whole workout.

JeanetteX - Ooooh, I hope you enjoy LMS tonight!! That's one of my favourite movies. Cracked me up so bad by the end. Tony's making more X videos?? Do you know where we can get more info on that? I didn't see anything the last time I went to the BB website.
My dad's stability ball is one of the really rubbery, shiny purple balls. Mine is one of the Swiss balls that aren't as rubbery, and have a light texture on them. His took some getting used to, but it worked just fine. I didn't like how my sweaty hands slipped during the tricep dips. You can easily justify buying a second ball by deciding to use your first one as an office "chair" or some such. Or donate it to the "toybox" you probably have, for when the grandchildren visit.

Amy - How was Daily Dose of Bliss? I hope you have an "uneventful" night too. If you can crank out 3 batches of cinnamon buns and not eat a bite, you are a determined, tough-as-nails health nut! I bow to you. My mother made a carrot cake this morning, for a b-day lunch we're going to tomorrow, and I've been trying to convince her all day that I should get a piece. Just the slightlty darkened edges. Or a square from the middle that can be filled with icing. She's a tough sell.

Have a great day,
SandraX

Well, it was a nice treat.....I went to work, dropped off the cinnamon rolls (there was an entire pan gone before I even left!!) and they said that they didn't need me to work tonight, so I came back home!

Sandra- Bliss was nice. It was a bit like Magically Hips, but there were some subtle differences. Still the same underwear showing, thoughx(. It was even right in front at the very end where they are sitting on the mat hugging!!! I will just have to learn to not look at it! Nice length on the workout, though and felt good after Plyo. About the bands, you could do like they do in X were they loop the band to increase the tension....it would take the "rest" off at the end a bit.

I don't know about health nut, I've just never been a huge cinnamon roll fan, even as a kid, but I *did* taste the cream cheese frosting! Just a taste....you know, to make sure it was sweet enough after I lost count on the number of scoops of powdered sugar I was adding! Now, carrot cake is a whole 'nother matter....there's NO way I'd be able to pass that up!

Good evening,
Had a good day today, cleaning, yardwork and a little shopping at Wally World. Am sipping coffee right now. Tomorrow is a tough bike ride day but is needed to stretch me up to where I need to be at next Sunday's organized ride.

Tracy, your goals and mine are very similar. I want to be "athletic" for as long as I can. I ride quite often with people that are much older than myself and they can really kick butt. If all goes well, I may be signing up for the Senior Games in Utah next year, competing in several cycling events. You have to be on your 50th year to enter and I'll be 49 this coming November so will be eligible next year. Where I work, there are many women and it's interesting to see how matronly the ladies my age and younger are looking. I don't think I look like that yet, but maybe I do and just am in denial. Anyways, I'm fighting that and working out makes me feel and act energetic. Many benefits besides aesthetics. It's all good. Good job on the calf strengthening. I knew you'd be improving soon, you are so determined.

Amy, your cinnamon rolls sound wonderful. I love to bake but don't do it much any more as I tend to eat it all up. I love baking and watching the dough rise, something very satisfying about that whole process. I had a hankering to get a Buffalo Chips cookie recipe off the internet today and make them, but knew that I'd be the one eating them so nixed that thought. I'm going to try to work in Squeeze next week. My rotation next week calls for Pyramid Lower Body. Think I will do Squeeze lower body and the floor work only from PLB. See, I'm learning how to mix and match (finally). What are the Xflowsion workouts like? How nice that you didn't have to work tonite!!! What a nice surprise!! I'd be loving that!

Sandra, glad that Drill Max with bands is working out. I worked on learning a few combos from Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step today and only used the topper of the step. Makes it easier. When I was learning Cathe's Basic Step DVD, I used a towel on the floor. Yes, I like the idea of donating my bumpy stability ball to the grandkids. They always get it out to play with. I bought the coolest bike jersey online today. It's a Graham Watson sleeveless ladies jersey, shows the TDF peleton going thru the sunflower fields. Sure you've seen that poster before, anyways, they now have jerseys, though they haven't started shipping them yet. It was pricey, but I HAD to have it. I absolutely can't wait to get it!!! Here's the link to the jersey: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=13860

Here's the link to the gossip on new Tony X workouts: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=102455

Later,

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.