Xers CheckIn 12/15 FRIDAY

RE: Xers CheckIn 12/15 FRIDAY:7

Morning All X'ers!!! Slept 7 hours last night in my bed! Lukie is 100% now and mama can rest! He'll be on antibiotics for two weeks but we can handle that. I knew he was "normal" when I found his pill spit out on the floor after finding it in his am food! Back to his old smarty self! The other 2 are also over their trauma and taunting him as usual!
Took yesterday as my "rest" day but my back & glutes are screaming today from cleaning baseboards, mopping etc...5 hours of the stuff!
This morning I will do Legs & Back and if I feel awesome I will go ahead & throw in Kenpo to stay exactly on schedule... If not I'll just be another day off.
My scale is down 2 pounds from last Friday so maybe the extra rest days were something I really needed! Only 5.5 left to goal wt. and 5% left to BF% goal. HAPPY CAMPER!

MONICA: Yep Brownies looking good! My strategy so I didnt eat any? I made them in Xmas pans a tree and a snowman... Cant cut into Frosty's head before the party tomorrow! IT WORKED... Even gave DH the bowl to lick!

DEBRA: Welcome to check In! Wow~ You handle the DD, house & animals all by yourself? Thats something. I am so happy you are doing P90X for yourself. Its AMAZING! I'm Classic/Ph 2/Week 6 ... just 1 more week til recover. Cannot tell you how in love I am with the program and progress!

AMY: Glad to see you came back over last night... You are always welcome even if its not a full blown X check-in!

SANDRA: Did your head ever stop spinning from yesterday?
BBL! Have a great morning

Hi all,

Well I am back from D.C. and my week long rest. I plan on starting back on Sunday, not sure if I am going to go to week 5 or do the Recovery week as it is layed out. My knee is a little better but not much, even with a week of doing NOTHING! ugh. I feel like a slug!

Traci: glad your puppy is back to his old self again! What do you think about the schedule? use this past week as my "recovery" week and just jump into phase 2 or should I back track? I wish I could figure out what it was that did the damage to my knee. I suspect it was Plyo. Maybe I will try subbing something else in its place. You really can't do much of Plyo low impact!

Have an "X"-cellent day!

Hi all,

For those who haven't gotten to phase 2. Just when you thought there wasn't another way to do pull ups there's corn cob pull ups. You pull up, you move your head towards your left hand, then towards your right hand, back to center, away from the bar, back to the bar and then down, that's one.They are even hard to do assisted.

Last night was yoga x and I feel like it is much harder after back and biceps. Maybe it is just me. Today is legs and back. My recovery week falls on xmas week too. I wish I had timed that differently. I'm off that week and I'd rather be doing a regular week and recovering while I'm working:)

X - The one good thing about a week off is that for me it lets the little injuries and aches heal. I know it's good for me, but I don't like it. It's only when we go on vacation and I don't want to completely monopolize everyon'e time because of my workout. Be careful with your knee. I know you know this, but too much too soon just means a longer recovery.

Traci - Glad to hear Luke is better. I'm sure you're relieved.

Debra - Glad to have you.

Sandra - You have more energy than I'll ever have. After some of the hard workouts, I'm exhausted by 9. I'm also eating Power Bar Harvest Bars. They are pretty good. I eat the protien plus when I really need some fuel. Those things work wonders for me.

Happy Friday.

Tracy

Today I'm swapping Legs and Back for a cardio day as I have a party to attend tonite and I want to burn off some cals. I've been doing KPC instead of KenpoX because KPC keeps my HR pretty high for the whole time. I also use 1 lb. hand weights which I think makes a difference.

Have a great day!!

Buffy

Morning Everyone,

Today will be PlyoX for me. One of my fav's.

Traci, Glad to hear that Lukie is much better. I've contimplated doing legs & back and then Kenpo. Then the thought flies out of my head after I've done the wall squats. }(

Tracy, I will be starting Phase 2 on the 28th. I'm gearing myself up for alot of what sound like tough workouts.

I'm taking a half day of vacation today, and will be attending a retirement party at my DH's work. This guy is one of our friends, and I just want to wish him well.

Have a great day!

Laurie

WEEK 1, DAY 5 -- CLASSIC ROTATION

Today was Legs & Back and Ab Ripper. This workout was interesting. One thing that I really liked is that if one of the leg moves was very hard, there is no dread factor for a second or third set. Once you get done with that exercise you just move on.

Does anyone have opinions on Legs & Back? I am so used to doing heavy weight work when working legs. This was very different for me. I usually do Gym Style Legs standing work only, and I usually do less reps than Cathe but very heavy weights. I had been getting good results with that. Maybe the change will do me good? I'm very unsure about this one.

Oh well, tomorrow is Kenpo X, then I am through Week 1. YAY!

Monica

Monica - I absolutely love legs and back. For some reason, it doesn't feel quite as hard as GS legs but I really feel it in my glutes but not such much in the quads. GS legs I feel more in the quads. For me, I prefer glute work because I need more help in that area. Trust me, you will feel it tomorrow.

Buffy

Monica,

I've been doing heavy weights (well heavy for me 80-90lbs) for legs for the past couple of months and adding extra leg work (2x per week) since I started p90x. I did my own freestyle all spring and summer and saw great results. It was very similar to the legs and back legwork, lots of variations of lunges. I think that legs and back is a nice compliment to other leg work because it works the muscles ever so slightly different. I'm not convinced that it is enought for me by itself. Usually before I do legs and back I do 3 sets of 15 regular squats and deadlifts with heavy weight to prefatigue the muscles. I think it is very effective, but I don't get much DOMS. My legs are much more tired the day after plyox. One day I did legs before plyo x. That was effective and I had good fatigue the next day. I think I'll probably do that again next week.

Tracy

Happy Mid Morning to all! taking a break from kitchen... 40 cookies, 2 batches brownies, 3 pies, 5 dips... DONE! & Kitchen is all clean as well...... NEXT: Workouts!!!!!

FOX2: So happy you are back safe & sound! I missed your daily posts!!! Glad the knee was given a rest...If you did no workouts at all I'd suggest 1 of two things... Either repeat your previous workout week then take the recovery/cardio abs week then move on. OR I'd do the recovery week in full- if you dont you'll be missing the cardio/Abs focus that I think is important to fire up metabolism and burn fat. Just my opinion. As far as Plyo.... You could try doing just 1 round of each exercise.. (he does two I believe)... Modify the jumps and just use your arms to help w/ HR. If you dont feel comfy w/ that sub in Cardio X (thats whats in rotations anyway other than Classic I think)or low max w/ no riser. Just whatever you do watch your knees!

TRACY: I agree! Phase 2 is a total "Double Dose of Humility" lol have fun w/ Legs & back

BUFFY: Enjoy your party tonight! Its hard not feeling the burn to do major cardio isnt it?

LAURIE: Enjoy 1/2 a vacation day! LOL: I'll let you know how the legs & Back & ARX + Kenpo go.... gonna humble me for sure! Your party sounds like great fun!

LEA: High5 on completion of todays mission X! great job!

MONICA: RE Legs & Back... I gotta say I was skeptical about this one doing anything for my legs (trouble spot) I have added floor work 1x a week but thats it. My legs are slimming down so much I am in shock! All of my pants used to be tight in leg area and now thats where they are sooooo baggy! I truly believe that all those barbell exercises were just bulking me up + the layer of fat... Now I'm slimming all over legs.. have fantastic definition all over and am 1 Happy camper ! I think you just may be srprised. I'm in Phase 2 / Week 6. I saw the changes within first 3 weeks of program. Trust the process IMO.

Thats all for me until after my marathon P90X... I'll let you know how it goes if I can crawl back to my office! Hugs & High 5's to all the Xers!

SANDRA WHERE ARE YOU????????????????????????

Hello All!

I'm on Phase 1, week 2. LOVE it. Today was Legs and Back. As Jeanette knows, I hurt my shoulder. :( I first noticed it last week doing upright rows. It's not the first time. I can always nurse it back by lifting lighter and smarter. But during P90X? WHY NOW??? Today I started out with pullups but decided to do pulldowns on my weight machine instead. I'm worried about not getting good results and NEVER being able to do any pullups if I'm nursing a bad shoulder. But I also know that not taking care of it will get me NO results. Any advice? My Hardcore ladies had some good advice but it sounds like there are some injuries going on here too, so I thought I'd hear what you all have to say.

Thanks for letting me whine. I'm so bummed this happened so early.
Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Hey, gang! Sounds like everyone's out there working up a sweat with Tony! You know, even though I'm only on Phase 1, Week 2, I'm loving this guy and his goofiness. He actually gets me chuckling through these workouts! By the way, I think Core Synergistics is my favorite so far! Guys, give me some advice here. This week has been totally crazy and last night we didn't get back from our son's basketball game until late so I didn't do Shoulders and Arms like I was supposed to. Should I just do it tonight and keep the rotation going, or skip it or what? Tonight I have to write a research paper in its entirety, so I'll really need to workout to break the monotony.

Suz - I'm doing the Lean Rotation, but I'm also on Phase 1, Week 2. Keep us posted on your progress and how you are modifying with the shoulder injury!

Tracy - How many of those corn cob pull ups do you have to do in the workout? They sound brutal. I getting kind of nervous about entering Phase 2.

Buffy - I'm going to do KPC for my next Kenpo X, too. I didn't feel that it really got my heartrate up that much, although I enjoyed the workout a lot!

Monica - I know! I LOVE LOVE LOVE how Tony mixes up the exercises and you are constantly doing something new. The time does fly. I am also used to doing heavier weights with my leg work, too. I didn't have DOMS like I thought I would, so I wondered if I really got a good workout.

Take Care fellow X'ers!
Stephanie

Hey Stephanie- I wouldnt skip any of the workouts... this thing seems to have a magical type of progression to it.
A) Just do P91X;-)
B) Do SH & Arms + current day (if you have 2 hours)

I did just that today (CLassic/Ph 2/ Week 6)
I did Legs & back (yesterday) + Kenpo X (todays plan).... Gotta tell ya I saw the "bif Guy Upstairs" a few times but I feel INCREDIBLE. I think I went to the "zone" that I have never been to before.... Now I'm still on my schedule... just my thoughts

Hi Suz! I lurk at your regular forum daily}(
I guess my biggest ? is:
Is doing pullups your primary/only goal w/ P90X? If it is then I'd say stop program until you are completely healed... you'll just frustrate yourself.
If you want the overall body goal of P90X then I say just use the band and isometric hold each pull down... it really is a good burn and I am seeing definition using the band. Use comfy wts on shoulder days and focus as heavy as you can on all other parts (as long as they dont irritate the SH). Thats my best advise... I'm sure you'll get great responses here and then you will do whats best and most motivating for you!
Good Luck and check in w/ us often!

Hi X-chicks, AKA Ripped Chicks!

L/Ph1/Wk1/D4

YogaX- well, I've done Yoga before but never such an extended set of power vinyaysa moves. I will perform better next week after learning the w/o for the first time. Anither quality, challenging w/o in my opinion. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a manly man like Tony so skilled at Yoga.

Suz, I've had the delt strain before. Never severly but enough to know that I could not increase weight load if I really wanted to heal. I'm no expert on injury or rehab (but I am an RN!) but I'd say if you simply can't live w/o P90X, use the bands as Traci suggests...either that or pathetically light weights, #4 or #5. You'll still shape nicely.

Regarding the floating subject of leg work: I am due for Legs and Back tomorrow. I am 5'2" and as soon as I load a barbell or increase my weights I get stocky in my legs. I now love body weight resistance training for legs and LOVE, LOVE Butts and Gutts Leg Blast premix where she does several sets of walking lunges and firewalkers.

But so far, no subs for P90X. I don't have the desire. I still trust the process. I may do an easy 3 mile outdoor run tomorrow follwing L & B as I am a regular lifelong jogger.

Love hearing all your reports, I just swoop in and can't address evryone individually, is that OK xers?

X

P.S. 100% adherence to fat shredder, however, tonight is date night. I think we're going to make a smart choice and do sushi / terriaki and I may just skip the glass of Pino Noir....but no promises!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I will be doing Chest and Back this afternoon...probably my least favorite of these workouts...Although I have seen a lot of progress with the push ups...I miss doing weight work with chest,though..and, of course, the pull-ups make me feel like a weakling every time!

I'm still trying to remember everyone's name..so forgive me if I get some wrong...and leave a lot out!

Traci...glad your poochy is better..it's just awful when your babies are sick!
Monica..I know you may feel like you're not doing much with legs in Legs and Back, but I think the exercises are definitely beneficial without the weights...and you get plenty of work with your legs with Plyo X! I can already see some more definition in my legs with these workouts.

Good luck to all...and I'll try to remember more names next time!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Good afternoon X-ers,

I just read through all your posts. Interesting topics going on around here today.

Yesterday a couple of people were surprised I could do the overhead presses with 25lb dbs. Is this my chance to brag? :) First off, I'm doing the 8-10 rep version of the Classic rotation, so I go a bit heavier than someone doing the 12-15 rep version. Secondly, I've been doing Cathe's split workouts for years: Slow & Heavy, the Pyramids, and the Gym Styles do wonderful things for muscle strengthening, if you really work to your limits. Thirdly, everyone has their own favourite body parts to work, and mine happen to be shoulders and biceps. I love the look of a well-defined shoulder and bicep. So, having said all that, can I now brag that during the Shoulders and Arms workout I used 20s for most of the bicep work (used 15s near the end for some of it), and 25s or 20s for the shoulder work, and 15s and 12s for the tricep work? I went down to 10lbs for the tricep move where you turn your grip. My form improved when I did that. Okay, the Sandra Show is over. I honestly don't believe it's the size of the weight that makes a difference, but how challenging that weight feels to you. If 12lbs works your muscle to exhaustion at the 8-10 rep mark, then it's the perfect weight for you, and is doing you a lot of good.

Traci - OMG your new statistics are AWESOME!!! You must be feeling fantastic about the fat loss and only being 5 pounds from your goal!!! Way to go! I'm also very, very happy to read that Lukie is feeling better. So, this was all some kind of an infection, then? So glad that's all it was! I don't know how you did all that baking without licking half the batter from the bowls. Mmmmmmmm browwwwnieeees. Very clever idea to bake them in shaped molds. Reminds me of the Cosby Show episode where Bill ate a piece out of the middle of the cake, then tried to hide it by stuffing in some toilet paper and spreading icing over top. I am in awe of you that you did LB AND Kenpo today! I do not have that kind of focus for such a long, intense workout. I know I'd be slacking off half way through Kenpo (if I even got that far). You're amazing!

Fox2 - welcome back! If you're knee's not feeling better after a week of total rest, then may I suggest that it might be something more serious? I hope not, but perhaps you should have it checked out?

Tracy - those corn cob pull ups don't sound like fun one bit. And you're doing them in the same workout as your biceps? Ooooooh, that's gonna hurt ;( . Yoga X is quite the upper body workout. Doing it the day before Legs and Back is making me take it easier during the LB pull up segments. You're exhausted by 9? I'm exhausted by 7! ;) I just force myself to stay up until 9 because that's how long it takes for the kids to get settled and asleep.

Buffy - Happy KPCing! And have fun at the party!

Laurie - Those wall squats are the toughest part of LB, IMO! They're juicy! I'll be adding those into my workouts after I'm done P90X, as I imagine they will do wonders for the leg endurance.

Lea - Enjoy your drink. I love my Boost. It's my daily "treat."

Monica - I've done LB twice now, and I'm finding it much easier than any of Cathe's lower body workouts. But, I think it's because they work you differently. Cathe really pushes you for strength & endurance. P90X Legs feel more like just endurance, to me. I think, actually, that it's very "freestyle" friendly, which to my understanding is many reps with a light, or no, weight. People report great things from that approach, in terms of slimming the legs. I don't feel as worked in the lower body as when I've done a Cathe LB workout, but I've decided to just enjoy it; not everyday has to be a killer, does it? Sometimes, moderate is enough. Oh, and with Yoga X being done the day before, I find that my lower body is already prefatigued. Between PlyoX, YogaX, Legs & Back, and Kenpo's kicking, I think my lower body gets a well-rounded workout within the 7 days. But truly only time will tell whether this is the case.

Suz - I feel your frustration and disappointment about your shoulder :-( :-( :-( Everyone's already given you great advice and I've got nothing to add except to wish you a speedy recovery.

Stephanie - Yes, Tony has his own charm, doesn't he? I like him better than I thought I would. Do you think he and Dreya have a thing going on? I know there's a Mr. Dreya, but check out the hugging that goes on at the end of Legs & Back. And he can't stop fawning over her. Seems a little suspect, you know? Anyway, just adding some grist to the gossip mill. Is there even a Mrs. Tony? I've no idea.

X - I haven't tried that BG premix yet, but it sounds like a great one! I'm definitely going to try that in my P90X life. Yoga X is a very challenging workout, I agree. Another keeper for the future.

I did Legs & Back this morning, and Ab Ripper X. Are you ready? Can you hear it coming? Do you know what I'm going to say????? YES!!!! I DID those *&%! mason twists at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of Pete, I figured it out!!! I had to take one break in the middle, but I got through it all with my feet off the ground and my hands touching the floor. Can I get a Hallelujah?? I also managed to get up higher on those pulses during the v-sit ups, AND got the form down on the oblique V-ups. I feel like my core has gone to a whole new level. I love it!!!

Okay, tonight we're having Xmas dinner at a friend's. She's serving nibbly-stuff for dinner - a minefield for someone on a healthy eating plan. So, I've decided to make my contribution a raw vegetable platter, and 3 packages of Tofu-2-Go (ready to eat seasoned tofu with a dipping sauce. Just warm and serve). That should at least give me something to eat and prevent me from going overboard on the nibbly-stuff.

Have a great day!
Sandra

Sandra,
LOL about Tony and Dreya! I have to wonder if they have a thing going, too! He's always making such a big deal about how awesome she is! No, I know nothing about a Mrs. Tony, but then I just found out about P90X lately, so I'm not too educated on his history. Also, WAY TO GO on the core improvements in ARX! I'm so jealous and waiting anxiously for my core to get stronger. I've only done the workout twice, but it's the most killer ab workout I've ever done! I can't finish a lot of it, but the Mason Twists at the end are killer! I definitely have to take a couple of breaks and I'm practically crying by the end of this workout! What Phase and Week are you on? Hallelujah!!

Stephanie

PH.II/WK 6/CL

Sandra - Good luck at the Christmas party. Oh and do I see some "gossip" going on here? Tony and Dreya huh? They did do a movie together. Check this out: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0473074/. And BTW, you have earned the chance to brag, so brag away!!

Traci - Again I am glad that your baby is doing a lot better. Yay. Have a good night sleep!!

Tomorrow is Kepo. And then a day's rest. YAY!!!!

Lea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.