Xer's CheckIn 12/10 SUNDAY

teddy16410

Cathlete
Morning Xers!
Just getting us started today as I woke myself (& DH & Dogs) up at 3am w/ my talking in my sleep! I do that so much.....lol

Today is start of Week 6: HALFWAY MARK!!!! Hooray!
Chest-Shoulder-Triceps-: I swear theres 200 various forms of pushups in this one... I couldnt lift my arms for 2 days last week after this one. OH MY!
I am also suppose to do Ab RipperX- I did it yesterday in error so I think I'll do some ab work from Cathe just to stay on schedule. My lower back is sore this AM from ARX so I better do some stretching as well.
DH going to the Texan game today so I'll have plenty of "me" time.

BBL after I read yesterdays posts. HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY!!!!

Ok- All caught up on yesterday afternoon...

Buffy: I'm so excited for you and your love affair w/ Legs & Back! I have to say I get into it because barbells and traditional leg work are a huge dread factor for me. I love leg presses, calf work, floor work so I do add in some of that if I feel I didnt get my fix. Hope your date night was HEAVENLY!

SUZ: So glad to see you posting w/ us! There are so many great people in our little checkin... I am humbled by the determination & progress & insight each one of them brings to the table... nice to see you bring your wisdom as well!

TRACY: Happy Dance & High5... Halfway mark for you as well! I cannot tell you what an inspiration you are! Reading about your pullups and the steps you took is exciting. I'm using band method and feel like I have gotten great gains so I just know that if I get a bar for my next round (March4th I'll start) then I can look to your posts to just BRING IT! I hate to say it but I also am jazzed because you mentioned you were 47. I am turning 44 in March and although I feel like a 20 year old I see the signs of aging in my body and it freaks me out. I'm fine with wrinkles - those are just lifes battles Ive won but flab and poor posture NO WAY...Gotta beat that somehow. It feels great to know that you are so strong and healthy and postive about all of it. Thanks for sharing so much w/ us!

More coffee..........BBL

Hi all,

Buffy - I love legs and back too. I think working the legs just ever so slightly different really helps improve performance.

Traci - I figured it might help to know my age. I'm still getting the wrinkles too, but you don't have to give up fitness with age. It's great because we went on vacation out west this past summer and hiked and camped and I was able to do and enjoy everything with my kids, 17 & 19. My younger son rides downhill mountain bikes and I always hike up the mountain, which almost no one does. I've now gotten my older son to hike up with me. We joke about the fact that I'll be 70 or 80 and still out jogging or lifting weights.

It's some type of cardio and legs for me today. But first I have to go to the grocery store. Ugghhh.....

Tracy

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to see if it was OK if I joined this check in. I am just finishing Week 1 today, so I haven't gotten very far, but I'm really enjoying the workouts. I've been doing Cathe for a couple of years, so I'm in decent shape, but want to get more toned and leaner. I'm doing the P90X Lean version. If I like it, I'll probably go into the Classic next. I'm trying to get my DH to do P90X with me, but so far all he's done is put up the pull up bar for me!

Stephanie

Tracy: Happy grocery shopping! I'm skipping the crowds and heading out at 7am tomorrow... the freezer is empty and pantry looking dismal!

Hi Stephanie & WELCOME! Jump right in!!! I think Tracy and I (Traci) are the furthest along at week 6. Everyone else is 1-5 and we are all still learning from each other. This has been a godsend of a program as I knew that weights were key to my overall goals but just never could get into massive amounts of reps... the variety in P90X wt segments are what keep me excited and lifting much heavier than ever before! I'm still trying to figure out how to use Cathe MixnMatch to create similar rotations w/ her strength stuff.
So do share.... are you doing Lean exactly as written or do you sub/add? Its all good just curious how you are tackling it.

Stephanie - welcome to the checkin. I can't wait until I get back to the week one sequence. I love those upper body workouts. As I'm already thinking of exercise life after p90X, I may try to modify the lean or maybe the classic to add more running and cycling. I'll have to see how I feel at the end.

I guess everyone is busy today. I just took a quick minute off from all of the stuff I have to do to check in.

Tracy

Good morning fellow Xers:

I debated about doing the local group bike ride today, but chose to do XStretch instead. It was tough not going, but I really want to see what my body will do with more rest. I enjoyed the stretch because I was really sore when I got out of bed this morning. I still have DOMS in my Glutes from Legs & Back on Friday and my upper body was still sore from that. Also, I think maybe the KenpoX might have made me more sore than I thought. Anyway, the stretch was wonderful.

Yesterday was a birthday party for my mom at our house and I tons of buttered popcorn and some apple cake and pecan pie bars. Really bad eating, but today's a new day and the nice thing is normally I really blow up with popcorn and salt and I didn't even feel that way today. Still feeling lean for some reason. I'm guessing eating more protein is helping.

Traci, so you are at the halfway point? Good going! 43 years old is nothing. When I was 43, I wasn't working out at all, though I probably weighed a bit less, but no muscle tone or endurance. 48 is feeling fabulous, though yes, the wrinkles are coming and the skin sags a bit more. What I notice with women my age is they start to have more saggy skin in the face area, definitely drawing downward. I've got it going on too, sigh. But hey, we are strong and that's empowering. Age is just a number. I ride bikes regularly with men that are in their 60's and 70's and you would not believe how fit they are. My observation is that you don't see as many fit 60 and 70 year old women because I think that was a different era where women didn't exercise as much or gave it that much importance as it is now. I think you will see lots more fit 60 and 70 year old women out doing triathlons, bike rides and whatever in the next 10 and 20 years. Me for one, I plan on being there.

Tracy, I love active vacations where we get to do lots of walking and biking. I like to relax but not all day long. Great that you can go with your kids.

Welcome, Stephanie! You and I are probably at the same point in P90X. I'm doing the Classic rotation and was at Day 7 today, StretchX. I too have been doing Cathe for 2 years and have your goals also. Next week I may add in some extra cardio, but I'll see if I have the energy.

Jeanette

Well, I already feel so welcome! Thanks everyone! Traci, right now I'm doing the rotation as it is written in the book, but I would like to do some substitutions. I'm not quite sure how without spoiling the whole program. I would like to do an occasional Cathe, or running and I noticed the Lean program doesn't use the Plyometrics workout. Can I sub that in for something? Another thing, I found out that I do not like the yoga. I really don't mind the balancing stuff, but all those downward dogs make me feel like the blood is rushing to my head and it bothers me. Any suggestions?

Stephanie

Hi everyone,

The end of Week One!! This morning I did StretchX. Very, very nice. I appreciated the wrist and triceps stretches at the start. Since I didn't do any intense workout today, and slept in two hours later than usual, I decided to skip the Bar and Recovery Drink. What do you all do on your rest day? Eat it, skip it, or sub something else? Oh, I also ate the dessert at the company dinner party last night (my bad), so I figured this was a reasonable way of balancing out the calories. The dessert was a small serving of creme brulee in a chocolate wafer bowl. The dinner was a vegetable soup, mixed green salad with almonds and mandarin oranges, a spritz of asian dressing, salmon & shrimp wellington, saffron rice (about 1/3 cup), and grilled veggies on a skewer. I passed on the rolls, butter, crackers, and alcohol. All of the portions were on the reasonable side, so I think I managed to stay pretty close to the plan. Good enough, anyway, that I don't feel bad about it. And it was tasty good! The interesting thing was that I didn't actually want the dessert. It came as part of the meal, so I told myself that maybe I would only have one bite, then leave the rest. Well, you know how one bite leads to two, then three....BUT if I hadn't had that dessert placed in front of me I never would have ordered one, nor felt deprived by it. And once I finished the dessert, I didn't feel a big craving for more, which is what usually happens. I think I'm out of calorie-deficit mode (been in that for years, I think), and it's neat to see that food doesn't have the same power over me that it used to have. Perhaps I should count that as a victory in itself, and say that if I don't lose an ounce with P90X, at least I've regained my eating equilibrium. I haven't felt any strong food cravings since about the 3rd day of the program. Hopefully this will translate into a better ability to sit down and concentrate on my academic work. I lost that ability some time ago, and I'm coming to realize that maybe it was all about being hungry.

And it's making my emails get longer and longer x(

I'm supposed to do Chest & Back for the second time tomorrow, and I have to say that I'm dreading it. Not a good attitude. I need to think of those push and pull ups as a challenge ("Do your best and forget the rest"). I'm heartened by reading that a number of people persevered through it for a number of weeks, then were finally successful in doing a full pull/chin up. It's not so much that I MUST be successful in doing a pull up; just that I want to know that my modified versions are still doing me some good. They aren't a whole lot of fun to do, so I at least want them to be effective!

Traci - you talk in your sleep? What sorts of things do you say? How COOL that you're half-way through!!!! When you're finished, you be sure to keep checking in here, okay? We need you to help pull the rest of us along.

My upper abs are really sore this morning. I think the KenpoX will be doing phenomenal things for my abs. This whole program seems to be a super challenge for the core. I like it!!!!

Tracy - thank you so much for posting all those details about your P90X progress. You are so inspirational!! I especially love hearing that you're 47. WOW!!!! :) :) :)

Stephanie - WELCOME!!! I just finished Week One, too. How did you like it? Do you think you're up for another 2 rounds of that? My DH is "seriously curious" about the program, but I think he's reluctant to start until after Christmas. He loves his treats (don't we all?). About the Downward Dogs in YogaX. If it's just the DDs that are the problem for you, then don't do them. Go right into plank pose and hold that until it's time to go down to the floor. It's great core work, holding those planks!

Jeanette - I hope you're right about seeing more older women keeping fit. I plan to be one of those. I also think it's intriguing that the average age of this group appears to be 40-ish. I'm 36. Is there anyone here who is younger than that? Tony mentions a few times that he's, what, 44? 46? Now I can't remember. Great job on finishing Week One! Are you up for another 2 rounds of this?

Have a great day,
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
Glad you liked StretchX too. It is interesting to see a lot of us in the 40ish bracket. Up until the 40's, I could basically just clean up my food a bit and the weight would come off. Not so anymore. It's tough to lose the fat. Tony says he is 45 and I'm sure P90X has been around for a few years so he's probably pushing 50 soon.

Week 1 down and no problem with 2 more rounds of this. I'm looking to feel stronger next week and bring it more now that I know it won't kill me. So much is mental for me, for instance, on an organized bike ride that I don't know how the climbs are, they are always tougher because I don't know how hard (steep) it will actually get. Once I get thru it, the next time is easier because I've done it once and it didn't kill me. Definitely so much is mental for me.

Your dinner last night sounded wonderful and you did great. I wasn't good last night, but not disappointed in myself or worried I did any damage. It's all good. I'm just back into my routine today. Yeah, we'll have Christmas dinner, but everything in moderation, right? And it's important to enjoy our families, not dread being around them because of the food temptations. I say give in a little and recover later. Life's too short and we don't get paid for all this suffering you know? LOL. For the 1st 2 days I had that hungry feeling in my stomach. By Day 3, that had gone away. Funny, huh? Wonder what that was as I'm eating more calories now.

Sandra, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow while I'm doing Chest & Back. I have a Lat Pulldown tower so no real pullups for me. I'm hoping to up my weight (I used 50# on the Bowflex) tomorrow by 10#, and it may result in less reps, but I'm okay with that. I know it's all working because I was sore today from Legs & Back on Friday. Hey, we CAN do this and it WILL help get that lean muscle we're looking for.

Got to clean up this computer room. It's an absolute pig pen.

Jeanette

Sandra- Way to go at your Xmas party last night! You did incredible and the no additional cravings is indeed a bonus blessing!
To respond to a few of your ???'s: On rest day I do not use recovery drinks or bars.. personally I feel I just dont want the calories/sugar that they provide as recovery so I just eat on plan (P90X) and eat larger servings if I feel I need it. Its a way to save $$ too as those tools can be a bit pricey compared to a big salad!
One of the ways I started looking at workouts that were not my fav...
Chest and back is only done 3x before you get to change workouts... Phase 2 is chest-Sh-Tri DVD... Its a KILLER so thats the one I now have to say OK Traci its just 3 weeks of it then Recovery then in Phase 3 I only have to do it 2x. I absolutely do this w/ Ab Ripper... Its a psychological countdown for me.

I really am excited about doing another rotation in March. I plan to start March 4th and finish up right on Memorial Day weekend! PERFECT since we're boaters and I spend the next 6 months in a bathing suit!!!

LOL on sleep talking... I carry on full blown conversations. Last night in my dream DH was feeding the dogs and the dogs were TALKING to me saying they didnt like what he made them so out loud I'm saying... Its ok baby mama will make you a great din-din.... LOLOLOLOL DH thinks I am half a bubble off on a good day but these nights of major talking have him convinced its a metaphysical experience I'm having... just cracks me up. I also sleep laugh ALOT. You know the kind of belly laugh where you are crying and your stomach is in knots because you just cant stop laughing? YEP I do those in my sleep all the time!

Have a great Sunday evening.... btw: I love stretch X as well..the most thorough stretch I have done!

Hi Jeanette, Tracy, & Stephanie!

Jeanette: Funny you say Kenpo sneaks up on ya... Thats one of the most pleasant things about this program for me... EVERY WORKOUT sneaks up on me! I poo-poo'd the cardios a bit week 1 but gotta tell you that doing "extra" cardio is TOUGH because every cardio works so many body parts on me.... I may feel differently by week 11 or 12 but for now I gotta be feeling really wired to do additional cardio! Your b-day party sounded like tons of fun! Forget the food part... you are so right that we never want dread factor surrounding family, friends & fun because of food issues!

Stephanie: You can certainly add in your cardio choice... remember there is a "doubles" program that has 3-4 additional cardios to the week. I think its fine to add Plyo in ... its a killer leg and interval-ie workout- I usually burn 300-400 calories in the hour. Just wouldnt do it next to Legs & back. LOL on YOGA..... I better let someone else help ya out... I have to break it up into 2 because I am so bored! I do first 45 minutes (real yoga) all by its little self then go back later in the day and do the balancing & stretches which I like. I just ordered yesterday a beginners Yoga by YogaZone and a Bryan Kest Wt loss yoga both are under 1 hour. I'm TRYING to love yaoga as I know its amazing for your mind body spirit... I gotta get balanced!!!!

Tracy: Hope you are enjoying your Sunday and getting all your "have to's" off the list... I wasted 3 hours watching my Texans lose in
OT;(

Off to prep dinner for me and pups!

Well now I don't feel so bad doing subbing and not being able to do any of the pull ups (real ones ) yes. I am the oldest of our bunch at 53! I am taking it easy for 4 days hoping whatever happened to my knee goes away while I am in Washington this week. You all sound like you are doing so great! Keep the "chins up" and remember to "Bring it"

Deb

Hi all,

Today was stretch X, but I did SB (and did the blast challenge after the 1st and 2nd segments instead of at the end) and legs. I had to check on my cardio to see how I am faring. I was fine doing SB, but mentally I just can't get past the "no steady state" cario thing.

Sandra - It sounds like your dinner was good, I hope you enjoyed it. I'm feeling the same way about the sweets. I really just don't want them. It's a good feeling because there have been times when I broke down and bought the hershey's miniatures etc., then found myself eating 10-12 a day! Who knows why I can resist more, but I'm happy about it.

Jeanette - It is nice to see that people can continue to stay fit in their 50s - 70s. I think that I would be depressed if I was in the shape that some 40 year olds are in.

I read all of the posts yesterday about the weighted gloves and kenpox. I get a good workout concentrating on execution etc., but it still seems very interval-ish. I probably won't ever use weighted gloves because that many reps with light weights just makes my muscles look stringy.

Traci - I'm going to do one more rotation before summer. We usually travel alot, so that time frame should work just fine. I may sub some steady state cario for plyo x and then again on the rest day. I got most of the stuff that I had to do done, but I'm not very domestic. I'll be glad to get back to work tomorrow.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.