X'ers Check in...Jan 12

taprice

Cathlete
Hi all,

Just starting us off. I finished arx. My abs felt tired this am, but I was glad to get it over with. Off to work and then legs and back later. I'm not sure how that will go because my back feels tired too.

Wishing a great day and great workouts to all. TGIF

Tracy

Morning X'ers-

Classic* Phase 3* Week 2* Day 6*

Up & productive early to get ready for a last minute trip down to the bay for some boating and sun before sleet * ice hits us next week! Makes me VERY happy to have a chance to get away for the weekend - havent been down there since October! Thats unheard of for me. No computers at bay house (thats our "rule") so after my mid morning check in I'll be out of commish until late Sunday

My back & legs are really tight today - thats nice still feeling Tonys workouts after 10 weeks- yet another reminder that although the workouts are the same we can always give "more" and still feel the burn. Today is Kenpo and tomorrow rest. I may take my ipod to bay and do a run- CC3.

STEPHANIE: WOW on your 3 kids & ages! My DH comes from a family with a brother whos 15 years older than he and a sister 4 years younger.... It makes for interesting dynamics when the ags are so far apart I'm sure! I applaud you on your dedication to working out so late at night... thats a tough one to get done everyday! Great job!

SANDRA: I'm HAPPY DANCING right there with you!!!!!!!! What an incredibly awesome feeling! You are on a roll and can see light at the end of the tunnel! Congratulations woman- You so much deserve this elation! ^^^^^^^^5! What will you do w/ your 3 days "off"????
Hope Yoga X was rejuvenating and relaxing! BTW: I went out to Mexican food in honor of your accomplishments!!! Thanks it was YUM-O!

X: So happy you and DH are finding the burn!!!! I still thinks its just way too cool having him with you on this fitness journey! Clean eating seems to be going super duper well! What was the turning point mentally? You are in the flow and thats such a great place to be.

MONICA: Dont feel badly about having to tweek doubles rotation... I commend anyone that is doing it. Doubles is tough regardless of the actual workout- sounds like you made a plan that you can live with. Good for you!

TRACY: Love your idea of listing top 5 things we learned about ourselves throughout the 12 weeks... Thats so inspirational to me. Very cool about Yoga continuing to help w/ flexibility. I am seeing little sign of that & its enough to make me want to continue with yoga "after". Very inspiring when I see that at 5am you have already completed ARX! What a go getter!!!! Hope legs & back later brings you many many DOMS for the weekend!

DEBRA: Bummer about no nap!!!! I'm sure StretchMax was a wonderful relaxing experience... I always want to lay down & go to sleep after that one. Whats on your plate this weekend?

Hope you all have an awesome weekend! I'll check in up until about noon to see what everyones up to. Thansk for all the inspiration!!!

D/ph3/wk1/day 5

Good Morning Xers,

Not feelin' it this morning. Skipped L&B last night because I needed the rest. Will pick up again tonight with cardio, L&B, and ARX. That means the scheduled rest day for Saturday is now filled with KenpoX. I've found that I've had to do this mid-week rest day a few times during this program because I'm just too worn out from working out and my other activities. Guess it shows that I'm bringing it, but it also throws me off, and, of course, being a hard core workout kinda girl, makes me feel a little guilty. I'll be back on track tonight though, so I'm not going to stress.

Tracy - As you can see, I'm tired too. My hams were tight yesterday, so I think that the rest day was definitely needed yesterday. Do what you can and try to have a relaxing weekend. You definitely are more motivated than me getting up to do ARX. I really need to try to do that from now on. What's 16 minutes, right? :)

Traci - Have fun at the bay this weekend. My hubby keeps telling me I need a vacation. Not until after April 15th (love the accounting profession, hugh?).

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Probably won't be back until Monday.

Morning DB! just wanted to let you know that I often take a rest day after 3 days... Thats why my P90 is really P95.... I dont think its a bad thing at all. Rest days to me are far different than just not getting it in ... A rest day says your body needs the time off and I have always come back stronger. Listen to your body!! I am even thinking of not scheduling rest days into my next rotation (Master Series & Cathe) but rather taking rest days as my body tells me to. Sometimes this will be after 3 days sometimes after 6 or 7. Do what is good for your body and dont worry one little bit about...it will make you stronger! Just my .02cents! :7

Thanks for the $.02 Traci! Makes me feel better that someone else feels the same way I do. Your "no rest days" sounds like a good idea. I started setting up my post-P90 rotation last night. That definitely sounds like something I should try.

TGIF Xers!

Classic Hybrid/Ph1/Wk2/Day4

OK, confession time: today I did Kenpo for the first time, opting to use Cathe's KPC last week, and I still haven't done Yoga, although I LOVE Yoga, it's been a time issue and my mind saying "Sub a HIIT workout for Yoga, you need a teency weency bit more cardio".

My Hybrid Schedule:
Chest and Back / BM2 step only premix, ARX
HCE #3 subbed for Plyometrics
Shoulders and Arms / Muscle Max Abs + ARX (wanted to compare them)
KenpoX
Legs and Back / ARX
Long outdoor run

OK, so Kenpo- Traci's quote, "yeah it's hard, it's supposed to be!"...another top notch wprkout. I agree whole heartedly that the chick in this video is way LAME. Horrible form. I tend to watch Wesley, who actually taught Tony, and the cute black dude. I didn't use weighted gloves as I want to resrve room for more challenge once I get used to the workout. As with all martial arts, it's about form and concentration. I find unlike the weighted workouts that I cannot look at the crew, I can only listen. With the "blocks", I was forwarned that many of you didn't get your heart rates up, but I found that the challlenge was in keeping a very low horse stance. Like Tony mentions, "you should feel the burn in your legs". I was a miserable mess with combining all the blocks ("stars") at the end of that sequence. Once again, I have concluded that I simply cannot compare Cathe and Tony. It really is like apples and oranges!

Hubby opted for an early outdoor run with our little yellow lab but caught enough of the workout, so that I think he's intrigued. Slowly I think he's realizing that the alternating workouts besides weights really serve a purpose.

My abs are tight, tight. Just wrang out the last of the Aunt Flow bloat so here come my "lean weeks". Eating is super clean except for yesterday's 3-4pm snack was a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of EAS Carb Control Protein drink.

We are psyched for Legs and Back tomorrow, the most challenging for us so far!!

Have a great Friday X chicks!

X

OK, so I thought that Cathe's Muscle Max abs were similar in format (lower, sides, middle, upper sequense) to ARX. Although not quite as hard, but still a challenge, I thought it was a close compliment. I'm working from memory so I may have missed one of Cathe's exercises.

AB RIPPER X
In and out
seated bicycle
seated crunchy frog
crossed leg/wide leg sit-up
Fifer scissor
hip rock n raise
pulse up(Heels to Heaven)
roll up/v-up combo
oblique v up
leg climb
Mason(Kayak twist)
stretch

MUSCLE MAX ABS
Supermans
Hip Raises (Pulse Up, Heels to Heaven)
Reverse Crunches (similar to hip rock n raise, lower ab lift)
Bicycles- varying tempo (bicycles)
Side Oblique V's
Side Oblique Crunches (oblique v ups)
Crunches w/ arms extended over head (similar in focus to roll up/v ups but easier)
Explosive Crunches w/ knees in, reaching for heels

What are your thoughts?

X

Good morning everyone. I did back/legs and arx today. I feel better, thanks for all your get wells :). I will be back later with personals, as I have some catching up to do.

Lea

Hi X:
I was surprised this week when I did an additional day of abs & used MM... VERY SIMILAR indeed. ARX is still by far alot tougher for me...its twice the duration plus his sequencing I think but yep its a great alternative for a "shorter" ARX. Someone else here at X'ers mentioned doing MM last week so I popped it in and was way happy!

<<<I was a miserable mess with combining all the blocks ("stars") at the end of that sequence.>>>> OMG :eek: :eek: ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lololol So much coordination involved I know mine dont look right but I still feel my burn! That cracked me up! Glad you saw value in Kenpo. It gave me an entire new respect for martial arts vs cardio kickboxing. I love what the slower meticulous drills do for my arms & my kicks are just so much "more" that my legs feel like I've done KickMax drills after Kenpo.

Hello to everyone this morning!

Classic/ph2/wk3/day1

It was nice having my rest day yesterday..I think my body needed it...I feel much better this morning and not as sleepy! Which is funny because I had really bizarre dreams last night and woke up a lot. I am doing Ch-Sh-Tris today which I really like...except for the multitude of push ups...I still miss having some weight work on my chest...Instead of ARX, I am planning on doing section 3 from Core Max..Just to do something different. I really need to stay on schedule this week so that while I am in SC I will be on my rest week and I can do a little running and some yoga at my friend's house. I probably won't take Core Syn with me...I think I would look a little crazy doing bananas in her living room!!!!

Lea...Glad you are feeling better!!!

X...Glad you enjoyed Kenpo..I really like that one too...I think if you tacked on a couple of exercises from ARX, muscle max abs is a great sub....You may want to think about adding the fifer scissors and the v-up roll up to round out Cathe...depending on how close you want to come to ARX.

DB...Don't stress out about having to take a mid week rest..I have had to do that too!! I think because you have to be so focused on each workout it can be more draining than a regular rotation. I'm sure you will be right back at it tonight!

Traci...Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your DH..sounds like fun! I noticed that you use cardio coach and I was wondering a little about those workouts.. What is the main difference between each one, the length of the intervals? What kind of music is it? I looked online and I couldn't seem to find the answers to my questions...When you get a chance, tell me about them a bit.

Tracy...At least you got ARX out of the way...Hope you have a great day at work!

Well...I need to run for now...will bbl this afternoon!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Good morning,
I took the day off from work today, so along with Martin Luther King holiday on Monday, it'll be 4-dayer for me :) I slept in a little too long this morning so missed my normal workout time, but will bring it after an appointment this morning and some spending some quality time with my Mom. Workout (Legs & Back and AbX) will be this morning. I also did Cardio Coach #2 (revised) last night and felt energized afterwards. I love Cardio Coach workouts!

Tracy, good for you for getting AbX done this morning. I too will be doing L&B this afternoon. I'm sure I'll feel more energized for it. Love the leg workout in this one. Sneaky lunges are my favorite!

Traci, we will miss hearing from you this morning but know you will be thinking of us while you are at the "bay". What bay is it? What state do you live in? Sounds very relaxing to go there. Great rule re: no computers.

DB, tax time again, I'd pretty much forgotten about it. Smart of you to take a rest day when needed. P90X reminds me of interval work, you have to rest in intervals in order to get your HR back up there high again. Same concept with P90X. Rest those body parts in order to really bring it.

X, I too love the non-frantic KenpoX with weighted gloves. My kicks are better when they aren't just flung out there at a fast pace. I'm hoping DH does KenpoX with me tomorrow. He doesn't need any complicated moves at all or else he'll give up. Hoping he'll get hooked. Hope your DH gives it a try too. I'm hoping I'm done with TTOM bloat too. Scale weight is 2 1/2# lighter this morning than yesterday. What is the purpose in water retention during our periods anyway? I'd sure like to know! Maybe I'll get MM out and do the abwork today after L&B. Change is good, huh?

Lea, glad you are feeling better. Look forward to reading more from you this afternoon.

Oh yeah, get to work DH out on the Bowflex tonite and some abwork. He was very sore after doing a short segment and very modified C-S-T the other night. He did a little better on AbX too, but it was pretty humbling for him. We'll probably only work Back and Abs. He's watching his eating and cut down on the beer.

Will check back later!

Jeanette

Hi Debra, hope you have a great CST today. I like your suggestion for adding the Fifer scissors to MM abs.

Debra, I LOVE CARDIO COACH! I use them with my bike on a trainer and they cross over well to my regular cycling. They push me when normally out on the bike alone I wouldn't push myself so much. In a group situation I push myself more (guess I'm competitive). I own all of the CC's. The music on some of them is kind of jungley, with a lot of beat that helps with my pedaling too. Depending on the workout, they have steady state periods, or short sprints, rests, or climbs. To get the most out of these, I recommend a HRM and knowing what your heart rate levels are. There is information on the Cardiocoach.com website to help you determine your Max HR. Each level is a % of that Max HR. I was listening to his Coaches Notes on Cardio Coach #2 (Revised Version) last night. He says that if you can get to Level 4 pretty easily, then you need to rethink your Max HR. You will feel so accomplished when you finish these! I own Spinervals too but have not even touched them at all this winter. They just don't provide the motivation that CC's do for me. Think they have clips you can listen to also. I attribute my fitness gains on the bike to Cardio Coach more than anything else.

HTH,

Jeanette

PHASE 2 / WEEK 5 / DAY 5 / CLASSIC-DOUBLES HYBRID

Good morning everyone. I felt too tired to do Legs & Back and ARX this morning, so I will do it after work. It seems to be an theme for me this week, just can't get out of bed. I will see how I feel after L&B and ARX tonight. If I have the energy I'll tack on Cardio X.

So Wednesday I missed adding my double CardioX workout, so last night I subbed Yoga X for the warm up and combos of Kick Max, and Yoga Zone's - Power Yoga. That was an awesome workout!! I chose the warm up and combos of Kick Max because they are sort of low intensity. I really focused on my form and found that I got a really good 35 minute cardio workout in. That will count as one of my double sessions for the week. I have to say it was nice seeing Cathe, Lorraine and Jai last night. After doing P90x for 4/5 weeks I couldn't believe how extremely buff and cut Cathe and her girls are. They are extremely fit! Wow!

As for Yoga Zone's Power Yoga -- I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that likes Yoga X, but wants only a 1 hour workout. It is similar in that it does a lot of vinyasa and standing postures. It then goes through some balancing poses and a few floor stretching poses. I sweat a lot more in this one than I do Yoga X -- you move a little quicker and create a great amount of heat! My legs were on fire last night after this. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I like Yoga X, but I feel like it is more focused on "athletics" and not necessarily proper alignment and breathing. Just my two cents.

TRACY - You mentioned you were going to do LM or a run yesterday -- are you referring to Low Max? Just curious -- that is one of my favorites! My mom has borrowed it -- good thing, or I would be tempted to do it instead of my P90x workouts! Good job on getting through ARX this morning. I wish that I had it done -- will do after work.

TRACI -- Congrats on doing a pike on the stability ball! I also cannot do those, but my core strength has really improved with P90X also, so we'll see! Have fun today out boating!

DB -- Hi there! looks like you and I will be doing the same workout today and tomorrow! I will take Sunday off or do Stretch X. I think that it is good that you took care of yourself and rested. We all have to do that from time to time. I have also been thinking a lot about my post P90x rotation -- I think that for a couple of weeks I may try doing only 5 days per week before I start hitting it hard again.

STEPHANIE -- I was laughing out loud about your comments on Dreya's bows and arms sweeps!! That is hilarious. I don't know why it gets on my nerves, just does. I can appreciate some humble pie!

X -- Before starting P90X I would add on Muscle Max ab work frequently. It is quick and effective. I felt it a lot in my upper abs from all of those explosive crunches. I don't think it is quite as effective as ARX, but still good.

LEA -- I hope that you are feeling well.

DB -- I am glad that you are enjoying Yoga. I also think that it is helping my legs out a lot. I sometimes take a tumble on some of the twists.

JEANETTE -- How long is Bryan Kest's Power Yoga #1? How would you compare it to Yoga X? By the way -- I am so jealous that you have a four day weekend. I have Monday off -- your post may just be the motivation that I need to paint my bedroom as I have been putting it off forever!

Everyone have a great day!!!!

Monica

CL/PH2/WK2/Day5

Good morning,

My goodness. I'm tired. I did YogaX late in the afternoon y-day, and now I'm going to be doing LB and ARX in the morning, and my muscles are still tired from the yoga. I hope once I get going I'll find some energy, but right now things aren't feeling good. What do you all do when you need to get some energy? I don't have DOMS, just mild stiffness and general fatigue.

Tracy - you're a good woman for getting ARX out of the way on a day when you're feeling tired. At least it's off your mind now. List the 5 things we learned about ourselves? Oh dear, that seems to change on a weekly basis, and I'm only half way through. It will be interesting to see where I am at the end of all this. Great idea!

Traci - heading down to the bay today! I hope I didn't miss you. Have a GREAT time! Mmmmmmmmmmmexican food!! Oh yum!! I'm afraid I can't keep myself on the healthy side of the menu in a Mexican restaurant, so I don't go very often. Thank you for doing it for me :) For the next 3 days I'll do the same thing I always do, with the difference being that I won't have niggling guilt in the back of my brain reminding me that I should be writing. Today is grocery shopping. Tomorrow and Sunday I will be helping DH put up drywall in the basement. I'm sure that's going to be a ton of fun....(but I can't wait to have a finished basement!!). BTW, I'm still blown away that you completed a marathon! I enjoy the occaisional run, but not enough to do all the training required for a marathon. Bloody feet? Oh dear. Now I know I made the right decision :)

Stephanie - Okay, you are truly destined for Person of the Year Prize! 3kids on top of all you do....Wow. I bow to you!

X - yes, I will eventually put Tony's weight work back into my rotations. I know when I finish the 12 weeks I will be sick of them, and want the break. But they are superb workouts, and won't sit on my shelf forever. I've ordered P90 for my DH, and may even put a few of those in my rotations in the future. I agree with you about subbing and variety - it's the spice of life. I'm attempting to stick with P90X only for this round just because I think the workouts are designed very smartly as complements to each other. You're doing extemely well with your clean eating. Enjoy your dinner out tonight! Very interesting comparison between MMabs and ARX. I agree they are quite similar, and find MMabs some of Cathe's toughest. I find ARX harder, primarily because he takes the movements further: you go much higher on the oblique v-ups, for example. But I'm sure MMabs do great things for the core, too!

Monica - I think I'm the queen of self-absorbed posts some day. You have a long way to go to catch up to me :) How did your medley go yesterday? It was very creative!!

Debra - Stretch Max, Ahhhhhhh! Have you noticed in KenpoX that the people in the workout don't look like they're "putting the brakes on" very hard in the block segment? And in the elbow combination at the end. They look more like they're just moving their arms around. I don't get how they do that. I think they're working hard....When I do the blocks and work hard on stopping the movements with my core, there's a slight "mpfh" at the top of the movement. Do you know what I mean? Is that the same for you, or should I be doing something different?

DB - have a great weekend! See you Monday!

Lea - glad you're feeling better! Did you end up with the flu?

Jeanette - enjoy your loooong weekend, and your time with your Mom!

Hello to those who post later!

Have a great day,
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

It went really well! There was only one problem -- my husband is in a band and they practice at our house. I left work early so that I could get in my workout before all the guys came over. Unfortunately one of the guys in the band showed up early -- I still had 10 - 15 minutes left but had to stop. I don't like it when I do yoga and don't get to do Shavasana at the end, but I am not doing yoga in front of a bunch of guys!

Bye!
Monica

Quick wave bye bye ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
Hope each of you has the perfect weekend - however that is defined... Stay warm, workout smart and lets all get set for a FABULOUS X'ers week starting Monday!!! My hope is that all of us are able to accomplish exactly what we desire for 7 days in a row! NOW THATS A TALL ORDER!
Thanks for being so special -
Hugs, Love & Laughter to all the X'ers. See you on Sunday night! (after Chest, Back & ARX! of course!):7 :7 :7

Hi again,

Just finished LB and ARX. Very, very good workout today.

The other day someone (Stephanie? Monica? Can't remember) commented about how sweaty one of the gang was in the warm up. It occurred to me today that perhaps he was that sweaty because it was the 14th time they'd shot the warm up. Or perhaps they did the whole workout, then went back and redid the warm up. Or something like that. I imagine during the filming of these videos there's a lot of takes and retakes that we don't see. They must have good stamina!

I'm happy to report I'm making progress. I logged 124 pull/chin ups during LB today, and 4 of those were very good unassisted chin ups (even did 2 in a row!). I'm finishing Week6. In Week1, I logged 64 pull/chin ups, all of them assisted.

Monica - Yikes! I wouldn't want to do yoga in front of a group of my DH's band mates, either! The nerve of him to show up early....;) I LOVE the sound of the YogaZone Power Yoga. I'm off to see if I can hunt it down. I've definitely decided that yoga needs to make an appearance in my rotations more often. I bought Baron Baptiste's three power workouts: level 1, 2 & 3. I've only done part of level 1 so far, 'cause I'm sticking with P90X for the time being. These workouts were produced by the Greg Twombly, who also did (still does?) some of Cathe's older workouts, and Christi Taylor's workouts. I'm pretty sure it's the same set! Have you done any of Baron's stuff? Isn't it amazing how flexible Jai is, especially, in KickMax?

Cheers,
Sandra

Hi Sandra & everyone!

The only thing I will warn you about Yoga Zone's Power Yoga that makes it a little different is how it flows through the standing postures. Instead of moving from left side to right side for each move, They spend about 15 minutes going through everything on one side/leg, then you spend 15 minutes doing it all on the other side. Some people may not like that, but if you read the reviews on Amazon's website there are a ton of positive reviews on it.

I haven't tried Baron Baptiste's yet -- I have heard a lot of good things though. Yes you are right - Jai is flexible -- and beautiful! She has great muscle definition, I am jealous.

Have a great weekend.
Monica

Hello Everyone,

I finally have control of the computer. I have the day off as vacation. We are heading out tonight to go to a water park resort for the weekend. My MIL booked us a suite so as soon as the girls get home we are off.

I did get Legs & Back and ABX in today. Plan on just doing lots of running up the steps for the water slides on Saturday and doing KenpoX on Sunday when we get home. Glad this place is only about 1-1/2 hours away from us.

Have a great weekend,

Laurie

HI all,

I'm getting ready to go do legs and back. I'm not really feeling it this afternoon and the thought of trying to hoist myself on that bar is not appealing, but I'm going to try anyway.

Traci - I know you are already gone, but have a nice trip. We are shocked back into winter here so I envy you.

DB - My whole body is tired. My muscles almost feel heavy like overtraining. I probably should take a rest day and may still. It's only 16 minutes, that's how I get arx done early. I just have to get it out of the way.

X - I think MM abs are the most effective abs for me, that Cathe has. I do them followed by the HST abs with the leg lifts. It's a nice combination. I like kenpox, it just takes some getting used to really concentrating on form and execution.

Debra - Core max #3 huh? I'm wondering if Cathe abs were never quite as effective for me because I didn't do them as consistently as I thought I did. Glad you enjoyed your rest day.

Lea - Glad you are feeling better. I'm just on the edge of something.

Jeanette - Do you have to have a HRM for the cardio coach workouts? You've been having great workouts for several days in a row. Good for you.

Monica - I was referring to Cathe's LM, but I ended up running. I do like LM, but don't do it too often now because I just did it too much when I first got it. That still was a good series. My son came down to play pool in the middle of my yoga yesterday. I didn't say anything because I cherish time with the kids, but I'm like between that and my husband playing the piano I could hardly follow the dvd.

Sandra - I'm feeling the same general fatigue and a little stiffness. It could be over training. I hope not. Congratulations again....I'm with you on taking a complete break from Tony. I kind of want to see what I can really do with Cathe if I try HARD. How many pull/chin ups do you do each set? I try for 12. I don't think I can do any more.

TGIF and have a good Friday and beginning of the weekend.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.