Xers' Check In Here! 12/11 Monday

teddy16410

Cathlete
Morning all Xers!

Plyometrics day and will add on floor work of PLB just to make sure its toasty down there!

I was really proud of myself yesterday on CH/SH/TRI... I was able to either increase reps/wts on everything including every type of pushup! I have never been able to do "toe" push ups and I did at least a few in every round.. Thats unbelievable to me as my body just struggles so w/ them. AGAIN- my chest-sh-Tri are SCREAMING this morning.... 1 more week of that crazy workout before I get to recover
:D

Tracy: WOW no day off this week? Are you just taking a full rest day when you feel your body needs it? W/ all Cathe Ive always just taken a rest day as I felt I needed but w/ P90X I am soooooo ready for my rest day I countdown to it! :7

Deb: Hope your 3 day trip is successful! I also am really really sending {{{{{{{{{{{{{knees}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.... just take care of yourself and have a little fun! Thanks for age swapping! It is so darn motivating to hear that we are all pretty much kickin booty and we are the wiser Cathe crowd!

:7

Good morning Xers!

It was Chest and Back today and I did enjoy it and "brought it" as best I could. I increased most of my Bowflex weights (used 50# and 60#) for the back work and increased most of my pushups. By the end, I had a pump in my arms. Have not experienced that before for some reason. A real tightness in my biceps. Should this happen? No pain or anything, just fullness. AbX was good, though I didn't do all of the mason twists with the group. Had to take a break around 30 and then start back again. Good workout this morning!

Back to my clean eating and lots of water drinking as I'm feeling puffy this morning. Have PlyoX tomorrow and looking forward to it.

Traci, you done good on C-S-T. I'm thinking this is a tough one for later on. My right shoulder had a bit of a strain to it this morning, I'm thinking I did something with the KenpoX, but it never even affected this morning's workout. Must be different muscles or something or maybe I just flat worked it out. I was going to do AbX tonite, but glad I did it this morning. I like having the sheets to track your progress. I think that's the difference between this program and Cathe's is that with Cathe, I'm always doing the same reps, same weights just to keep up with her at her pace. With this, I can try to better my last weight or rep, I don't have to worry about being behind Cathe, though of course we have the pause button. It's like the weight lifting choreography holds me back. Also, if I do some with questionable form at the end, well at least I tried. Anyway, my pushups are getting better and lower. The ones I have to watch are the wide legged ones like the diamond pushups and the divebomber pushups. I have to watch that my left knee doesn't get too much torque on it. Last Monday, I hyperextended it just slightly and felt it for a day or two. It's the knee that I injured back in 1977 while throwing the javelin on the college track team. I made a notation to be careful while doing divebombers. Today I did some on my toes and then dropped to my knees for the rest. That seems to work for me. Another thing I've noticed is that my back is finally getting worked good with the lat pulldowns. They are sore still. When I do DB's only (lawnmowers), I rarely feel it in my back.

Anyways, it was a good workout this morning.

Must go, hi to all that post later. I'll get back after work tonite.

Jeanette

Xers... Found this post from an earlier P90X Check In group. This will help if you want to use Cathes inventory after your 12 weeks but do similar rotation to P90.

Traci

RE: P90X Check-in 4/10"
Author Krille007
Author Info Member since Aug 23rd 2004
409 posts
Date Mon Apr-10-06 10:15 AM

Here is the P90X like rotation with Cathe workouts I did at the end of last year and I had really good results and especially slimmed down the last 2-3 weeks.

Weeks 1
Monday: GS back/shoulders/biceps + CM #1
Tuesday:Imax 3
Wednesday:GS Chest/triceps + CM #2
Thursday: Stretch Max (all 3 segments) Yoga or Pilates
Friday: GS Legs + CM #3
Saturday: Kick Max
Sunday: Rest or Total Body Stretching

Week 2
Tuesday: Imax 2
Wednesday: GS Chest/triceps + CM #2
Saturday: KPC

Week 3
Tuesday: Imax
Saturday: Cardio Kicks or Taebo or TurboJam

Weeks 4, 8 and 13 are "recovery" weeks, focusing on core strength and stretching.
Monday: Stretch Max (all 3 segments) Yoga or Pilates
Tuesday: Core Max or Pilates
Wednesday: Low Max or a Kickboxing workout
Thursday: Total Body Stretching (all 3 segments) Yoga or Pilates
Friday: Core Max or Pilates
Saturday: Stretch Max (all 3 segments) Yoga or Pilates
Sunday: Rest or Stretch

Week 5
Monday: S&H Triceps and Biceps + 20 min. of Ab Hits
Tuesday: Imax 3 or HE High/Low Intervals
Wednesday: S&H Chest and Back + 20 min. of Ab Hits
Thursday: Stretch Max Yoga Pilates
Friday: S&H Legs and Shoulders + 20 min. of Ab Hits
Sunday: Rest or Total Body Stretching.

Week 6
Wednesday: GS S&H Chest and Back + 20 min. of Ab Hits

Week 7
Tuesday: Imax
Saturday: Cardio Kicks / TaeBo

Week 9

Week 10
Monday: Rhythmic Step
Tuesday: Muscle Max
Wednesday: One segment of Stretch Max and one segment of Core Max
Thursday: Low Max
Friday: Power Hour
Saturday: Step Blast

Week 11
Tuesday: Imax 3, HE High/Low Intervals or Imax
Sunday: Rest or Total Body Stretching.

Week 12
Monday: Step Works or any other step workout
Tuesday: Muscle Endurance
Wednesday: One segment of Stretch Max and one segment of Core Max
Thursday: Low Max
Friday: MIS
Saturday: Step Jam or any other step workout

Weeks 10 and 12 are more cardio-focused (not very P90X like, but great for slimming down and I had great results)

Have a great day
Kristine

Hi all,

Later today will be chest, shoulders, and triceps and arX. I hope it grows on me today.

Traci - Great progress on the pushups and increasing the weights. Isn't it encouraging to make progress? I'm going to try to increase my weights today too. I wish I had those plate mates. There is such a fine line for increasing weights and still preventing injury. I'm considering the yogax day my day off. I usually don't work legs and upper body on the same day, so each part gets a rest. I won't do any lower body weight work on the recovery week. After I did that last time I was able to increase my weight and keep up the number of reps. I'm trying to see if I increase my weight work and keep up the reps if I can continue to run and ride distance, and still have the endurance. It's toned up my legs if nothing else and gotten rid of lower body fat that I could never get rid of before.

Does anyone have Spinervals and Cardio Coach? My son wants a spinning dvd or audio and I'm trying to figure out which would be better for him. There are so many choices for both.

Deb - I hope you enjoyed your trip. It's nice to get away, but sometimes hard to come back to all of the stuff that you have to do.

Happy Moday.

Tracy

Morning Everyone,

No working out for me this weekend, my body decided that it wanted to protest. Stomach and body aches for me, but today on the day I have to go to work I feel fine. x( So on tap for me today will be Legs & Back and ARX.

I did manage (with the help of my DD's) to get all my cookie making done. They where a big help and I was mostly supervising. I think DD9 is going to be the cook in the family. She was having a great time.

Have a great day!

Laurie

Hi all,

We all must have posted at close to the same time:)

Traci - Thanks for finding that rotation. I'll print it out and save it for the future. I think I'm going to do another p90X next.

Jeanette - I just remember that the pushups are hard in Ch/sh/tri and I remember hardly being able to do 12 reps w/ 12lbs for some of the overhead tricep work at the end. I found it humbling. I was on my knees quickly for many of the pushups and I can do 15-20 on my toes for many of the ones in phase one. I always am cautious with a touchy area because I've found that injuries take longer to heal now than they did 10 years ago.

Tracy

Hey, guys! Can I ask you all your opionion, PLEASE? I've been toying with the notion of buyint the P90X series, but I just couldn't justify that price....BUT.........I have an offer of $95 for the entire P90X series kit, including the books, reading material, nutritional bar (didn't know about them, lol) and the videos. Is this a good price? I'm assuming so, but I want to be 100% SURE!!!!!!!!

NO ENABLING NEEDED, lol!

Gayle

Oh Gayle GO FOR IT! Honestly I got the 99.00 deal (3 payment spread) and I'd pay 3x that now that I'm in week 6. Completely changing my body and my attitude towards weights!

Gayle - I promise you if you get P90X you will not regret it. I also got it because it was such a great deal and I couldn't pass it up. Didn't think I'd like it but, I LOVE IT. Now, get out that credit card.

This morning I did P90X chest, shoulders and tris. I could barely lift my arms over my head to wash my hair after that one. I'll feel if for sure tomorrow. After work, I'll do Ab Ripper and cardio coach, either 1, 2 or 3.

Traci - Enjoy PlyoX. I have that on tap for tomorrow. I really love it. Good idea to add some extra leg work. Although I don't have the time in the morning, I may add some leg work in the evening. Maybe a Butts & Gutts premix. Any suggestions?

Laurie - Hope you feel better today.

Buffy

Hi all,

Buffy - ch/sh/tri for me today. I felt the same way last week that you felt today.

Gayle -Buy p90X. I'm a long time Cathe fan (20 years) and waited forever to buy it. It was the best $115 or whatever I have ever spent on fitness products. I've finally passed some plateaus that I had been sitting on for years.....I love Tony. What a nice change and I love the ability to workout to a dvd, but taylor it to my needs.

Laurie - glad you are feeling better. My kids are older and I'm not making cookies. Too much temptation for us all.

Tracy

Hello everybody. It was a kid free weekend for me and the DH. I think my body is so use to getting up early that there was no chance on sleeping in on Sunday. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Did chest/shoulder/tri's and ARX today. It is really amazing how easy it is to increase throughout the weeks. I am feeling really strong!! Tomorrow is plyo. I know that I will be mopping up the floor after that one.

Traci - I hope that you had fun with plyo today. And you really are doing the floor work of PLB after? You animal!!! Congrats on the increase of your reps and weights on the chest/shoulder/tri workout. It's a great feeling isn't it? Oh and also thank you for posting the rotation. That looks great!!

Jeanette - It's great to feel the pump during a workout isn't it? There are many of times during the X weight workouts that I too feel tight afterwards. Have fun with chest and shoulders today and ARX.

Buffy - I felt the same way today after the chest/shoulder/tri workout. It is a great workout.

Sandra - I hope that you had a great kid free weekend and a good time at DH's Christmas party.

Laurie - Good luck with legs/back and ARX today.

Suz and Stephanie - Hi there!!!

Gayle - That is absolutely a great price. I am sure that you will feel it was worth every penny spent.

That's all for now Xers. Have a great day.

Lea

Quick Check In ....

Jeanette: Great job w/ CH/BA... VERY COOL about pump in arms.... is it lactic acid rush???? Hope you had some type of recovery drink immediately after to help that!
Funny about your right shoulder... Mine is kinda funky today too, I felt it during one of the ba=zillion push ups yesterday and just stretched it out but its the "not good" tender today. Its so minor compared to my tricep DOMS and Chest tho... Do you or anyone else know what muscle has major DOMS today- Its directle below by armpit area.... NO CLUE what that is at all! I love the tracking sheets too.... I agree completely that "wt lifting choreography hold me back" ... that describes how I feel perfectly!

TRACY: Enjoy (if thats the proper word) CH/SH/TRI. Gotta on the Yoga/DayOff. Interesting about how your legs toned too...hmmmmmmmm I gotta look into that. I Like Cardio Coach... Buffy is the resident expert I think... (I do believe she is married in her other life to coach Sean!)

LAURIE: Sorry you had crud too! Oh My we are quite a bunch! Glad you are better - please take care & dont over do today. High 5 on finishing baking!!! Does DD watch Food Network? I'm addicted.... I'm cool with seeing all the food as long as I cant smell it- thats my trigger!

Buffy: Any floor segments you feel up to from B&G is great... I have all my workouts on index cards by "type" so I just rotate thru anything that has floor work. I tried doing Cathe cardio/legs 1 time w/ P90X (Like DM premix).... If I were Hercules it would have been great but I truly thought I would die of exhaustion... too much bouncy bouncy after P90.

LEA: Already completed workout? YOU GO GIRL! I have to LOL as DH and I are up at 3-4am every day of our lives without an alarm clock... I think your body just likes certain times of day best and theres little you can do to change it.... I dont know how shift working people do it... especially the ones that flip flop days/nights.... I'd be a zombie in a week!
RE: Floor Work add on.... LOL it really isnt that bad... usually less than 20 minutes for cathes floor stuff and it seems to work different muscles... so other than legs being a bit fatigued overall the add ons dont seem too bad to me. Could be that I am just so happy to finally see results in the thinning of my thighs after all these years that I just dont notice the pain! hahaha

Great day to all!

Good afternoon everyone!

Would it be alright if I joined your check-in? I have been reading your posts and I think it would really help to be in touch with others throughout this P90X journey!

I just started Day 1, Phase 1, this morning. I don't have a pull-up bar yet, so I am using a band with the door connection for back work. Today was Chest and Back -- it didn't feel overly hard, maybe because I have been doing Cathe's Gym Styles for so long. I have a feeling that I will be very sore tonight or tomorrow though. Ab Ripper was intense -- I am already feeling it in my hip flexors.

One thing I am noticing is that it is only 11:30 a.m. and I have never felt so hungry!! I had a protein shake this morning, 1 string cheese, grapes, oatmeal and yogurt. I am STARVING!! This is not normal for me -- I am wondering if it is due to the workout I did?

I am looking forward to Plyo X tomorrow. If it is anything like IMAX 2 or 3, I will love it!

I plan to follow the P90X schedule exactly as laid out this first time. I am going to do a Classic Doubles rotation. I am very tempted to sub some Cathe workouts, but I think for the first time through I will only do P90X workouts so that I can properly evaluate the program.

Sorry for the long message -- and I hope that you don't mind me joining your check-in.

Just a little background on me -- I am 30 years old, live in St. Louis, MO. Have one husband who does not exercise, two doggies and one kitty. I work full time for a financial services firm as a Compliance Officer. I LOVE exercising and Cathe has changed my life.

Thanks for listening! :)

Monica

Welcome Monica!!! Exciting to have a first dayer w/ us!!!!
You are very smart to do as outlined..... Most of us thought in week 1 we were going to be adding Cathe.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL
P90 has a way of sneaking up on ya the day & dayS after the actual workout. I hope you get as much out of it as we here on the check-in do!
I'm 43- in 80 degree Houston and am in week 6. Love it as much today as I did I week 1! I have 3 furry children... all canines that are extremely spoiled and LARGE! I too have a DH that really has no interest in all this moaning and groaning & grunting he hears me go thru everyday... thants ok cuz he supports me in my pain!
Glad to have you!!!

Well, first of all, awesome thread Traci, Ms. Moderator extradonaire! Clearly the regular attendees keep these threads alive and stimulating. So thanks girlie. BTW, is this your full time job? If so, good for you and I hope your pay is rich in appreciation from us!

Welcome Monica! You are a very bright and savvy young lady to be discovering P90X at such a young age in your fitness career. Although I've been with Cathe since 1996, I started late at 44 discovering the next level. So yay for you. I believe you are doing the Classic rotation. Keep us updated with your progress, thoughts and DOMs report.

Gayle, I bought P90X from their website, requested to pay $139 in full and can't help but think I stole this merchandise from them! It's true.Everything about the packaging, the DVD case, the high quality manuals (now tell me who does all that amazing still photography???). With the average price for a one hour DVD workout somehwere aroung 25-30 bucks a pop....you do the math! It's like Christmas.

I have been reviewing the workouts. Hubby is sooooooo interested! Once he found out there were no "cha cha's" or "mambo's" and he met Tony- he's on board! My only conflict is that I wanted to do Lean and naturally he is all over the Classic.Anyway, we did ARX yesterday and we fell in love! Someone wrote somewhere that there's something "freakily magic" about this series and I think that's the only way I can describe it at this time. I just want more.

So, I am going to dabble with the workouts to get to know them. This AM I did LIC cardio timesaver and tonight I'll dabble (participate for the purpose of learning) with Core Synergistics.

Thaks for all the great reading and learning from the rest of the X-ers. I read every post!

X

Oh X you are a sweetie pie! LOL my F/T job! I wish it were.... for the record I retired from corp america about 1 1/2 yrs ago... I say retired w/ a chuckle as I work (volunteer) for ALS & Hospice. That takes quite a few hours but w/ exception of homecare Hospice visits my work is done from my home office.
I think it is so very cool that DH is interested in P90X as well! How much fun I think that would be....LOL "Once he found out there were no "cha cha's" or "mambo's" and he met Tony- he's on board!" Yep thats what it takes for the guys!

ohhhhhhhhhh do tell us what you think of core syn!!!!!!!!!!}( }(
happy to see you dabling before D day..... just makes it all the more exciting!

Oh my, such a chatty group today! I love it!

This morning was my second attempt at Chest and Back. Much, much better!!!! I approached the workout with patience, calmness, and determination. I really focused on form throughout. I actually wasn't able to do as many push ups and modified pull ups as the first time, but I know my form was better on the ones I did do. Catherine (fitfairy) from the Chinners Check-In gave me a great link to learn how to progress with pull ups. It was very helpful and informative. I feel that this time I made a difference, and I can feel it in my mid-back. The first week I felt it all in the shoulders, which I don't think was right. Those diamond push ups, by the way, are brutally hard if you do them right!! In fact, that might be what worked my mid back so well. I did most of them on my knees, because with straight legs I just couldn't go down far enough for my chest to touch my hands. On my knees still felt tough tough!

Ab RipperX feels harder every time I do it! What's up with that? LOL! I guess I'm just getting better at focusing on form. I really carefully watched the gang doing the oblique v-ups, and think I've finally figured out how to do them properly. This means, mind you, that I barely get my upper body off the floor! To watch how high those people get their upper bodies off the floor is amazing. Maybe some day....

The Mason Twists just seem to get harder, rather than easier (maybe I'm more fatigued because I'm doing the previous exercises with better form?). I tried to slow them down; that didn't work. What I need to work on is being able to hold my feet off the ground. My back and hip flexors are worn out by that point, and I just can't seem to do it. So, I think on Wednesday, when they all do the Mason Twists I'm just going to do boat pose with my arms out to the sides. When I feel balanced and in control with that, then I'll start to add some twists.

Traci - push ups on your toes?? WOOHOO!!!! Progress, progress, progress!! I love it!!!! Make sure the next time DH walks into the room you casually fall to the floor and do a few. Show it off! You read my mind about Life-After-P90X. I had planned to do one of the Cathe faux-P90X rotations, depending on how I feel at the end of thes 12 weeks. That was some great advice you gave me yesterday about the "countdown" way of looking at the workouts. I realized today that I only do Chest & Back one more time before moving on to Phase Two. Made me a bit disappointed, because I'm starting feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I have a feeling that next week I'll be challenging myself even harder than today. I will need that rest week! I guess they is method to Tony's madness after all }(

Jeanette - I know pull ups really hit the biceps, so it's reasonable to presume that the Bowflex works them, too. I'm really feeling it in my forearms today. No doubt we'll have strong grips when we're done this rotation!

Tracy - My DH has a few Spinervals dvds. I can't comment on them, though, because I've never done them. Oh, and he hasn't, either :p Buffy's a huge CC fan, though. I'm sure she'll have some great suggestions.

Laurie - Do I understand that right?? Do you have 9 children?? Or more??? Or are you saying that DD is 9 years old? I'm glad you're feeling better and regenerated. Have a great workout!

Gayle - if P90X is something you think you're going to be able to commit yourself to, then $95 is a great deal, I think. Go for it! (full enabling happening here).

Buffy - I love that feeling when you can hardly lift your arms over your head! There was a time with PUB gave me that. That C/SH/TRI workout sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to it!

Lea - We had a great weekend, thank you for remembering! The Xmas party went really well. DD1 enjoyed her sleepover at the neighbours so much that we didn't see her until 2:30 Sunday afternoon. I love hearing about progress! I can't wait to be able to write the same thing.

Monica - WELCOME!! Many of us here are in the first couple of weeks. Myself and Jeanette found that during the first 2 or 3 days of the Fat Shredders eating plan we were both really hungry, but it was gone by the 3 or 4 day. Is today the first day of a significant change in your eating? BTW, the FS eating plan actually adds 3-400 more calories/day to what I was eating before, so I was surprised to be so hungry for a few days. I guess it's all about change. At 30 you might be the youngest member of the group. I'm 36, and most of the rest have admitted to being 40+. Cool, huh? I live in Edmonton, Alberta; 2 kids (6yrs & 14months); no pets anymore; DH is the supportive spouse working is a$$ off while I attempt to finish my Sociology dissertation in my "spare" time.

X - Great to hear how excited you are about the program! If DH gets on board with you, you two will have a ball together.

I'm doing PlyoX tomorrow morning, and am looking forward to really bringing it. The lack of high-intensity cardio battering (aka Cathe's interval workouts :) )has left me feeling very rejuvenated. I feel like I can give it some gas tomorrow.

My neighbour and I are swapping afternoons of babysitting this week (maybe next, too). So, I now have a 12month old critter for the afternoon, along with my own 14 month old. Tomorrow my neighbour will take the babies, and it will be my turn to get some work done. As long as I stay off the computer....

Have a great day!
Sandra

Sandra, The 9 is for the age, I have two DD's 13 & 9 years old. I came from a large family so it didn't even frazzle me to think I had lots of children. :D

Laurie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.