Xer's Check In 12/14 THURSDAY

LAURIE: Hope DD is starting to feel better...Flu bugs are just terrible. Did you love Stretch X? That is my favorite stretch tape of all time. Very impressed with how thorough it is. My ankles and wrists appreciated me not ignoring them!

Jeanette: If ARX wasn't as brutal splitting it apart from other w/o I may just have to try that today! I guess I could always do it first like I always did w/ Cathe. I knew if I waited til the end of a Cathe to do abs I would blow it off... Thanks for noting that for us- a new strategy! Hope your cold doesnt flare up too badly. Glad you are a taking a day off from work...don't want to be responsible for the entire company getting sick now do you?:+
Lukie is doing MUCH better today! His old personality is starting to show up throughout the morning... begging for breakfast...wanting to be the center of attention..all the stuff I took for granted that make him so annoying..I mean endearing!:7
I really never noticed the "pump" before until P90X... I cant say for sure that I pump up in inches but I do know that my personality becomes very wonder-woman-ish on strength days! DH says he can always tell by my emails on lifting days...I'm full of "I am woman hear me roar!" lol

Great morning to all- will be busting it up around here today as I did ZERO cleaning yesterday....way too tired after 2 days of no sleep. Gonna kick booty now- Watch Out TOILETS & BASEBOARDS!

Hi all Xers!

L/Ph1/Wk1/D3
First time with Shoulders and Arms. Shoulders are my favorite muscles to work so I enjoyed this very much. I am 12-15 reps, follow Dreyas style. Took me a little adjusting to find the right weights, but it should intuitively fall into place each time I repeat the workout.

Thanks for the tip about ARX immediately following the w/o. That was key as for sure I would be changing DVD's far into the future.

My body is all shook up! I dropped some weight in the last 2 days just with 100% clean eating, water , and lots of sleep.

I am greatly looking forward to YogaX as I am a Yoga girl.

Have a great day,
X

Hi all,

I never was able to get to a computer yesterday to post. That’s so unusual. I did back and biceps last night along with some extra legs. By half way through my forearms were so pumped I thought they were going to explode. I upped almost all my weights by a pound and I was dying by the end. I could barely move my arms. PlyoX leaves my legs fried the next day and my weight work suffered. I actually had to go down in weight a little to finish all of the reps. I may have to rethink my sequencing.

Traci – I’m glad to hear Luke is a little better. I’ve done the poop searching thing too. I never did find anything. We are convinced that no matter what we do, our 15 year old Aussie will probably kill herself by eating some sort of foreign object. I just can’t seem to stop her. I like Brian Kest. He’s a little more yogaish, but I really feel good after I do one of his routines.

Lea – Biceps are my weak spot so Back and biceps is a challenge for me too. The pull ups after the bicep work just kills me. Corn cob pull ups…..I’ll never do those unassisted.

Jeanette – I hope you feel better. Glad your biceps are getting bigger. I was looking at mine last night wondering how big is too big? I’ve only done ARX with my strength training once and never again. I was able to concentrate much more when I separate the exercises. I always break a good sweat with ARX.

Sandra – I love shoulders and arms. 30 tricep pushups are great. I can only do 25.

Buffy – How are you doing on doubling up? I did more during phase 1 and ended up over training. I’m trying to find a balance now. I’m consistently getting 2 extra cardio and leg workouts. That’s all I have the energy for. I definitely think that I am getting leaner too. I looked in the sliding glass door last night at my reflection and my legs have some good definition. AF came and went in a flash over the weekend which for me is usually a sign that the body fat is low.

Amy – Sorry to hear about your knee. I think that we are all finding that exercise doesn’t end because you can’t do high impact aerobics. I guess that’s a good thing. It’s a mindset change that I’m sure will do us good as we get smarter about training.

X – Glad to hear you started. There’s really no reason not too. Making progress has been a great motivator for me to pass on the junk. It’s really just empty calories anyway, and it surely doesn’t provide the energy and fuel that I’ve been needing lately.
By the way, I’m at CL/Ph2/Wk2/D4. I think that drinking a recovery drink is a essential for me to continue to workout so hard. I make my own and use the whey that is utilized quickly.

Monica – I’m not following the diet either. Mostly because I just don’t do well with all of the counting. I do eat very low fat. The Cheesecake Factory is one meal I can pass up. IMO their food has a lot of hidden stuff in it.

Laurie – I like stretch x, but since I’m adding in extra cardio that day I haven’t done it as much as I should. I really do need the forearm stretching; especially after bi and back.

Have a great day.

Tracy

Morning Everyone,

Today will be Chest & Back and ARX. Yesterdays StretchX was wonderful. I think I needed the stretching and I'm glad I decided to do the w/o. Everyone is right on the wrist getting the stretch they need. }(

DD is doing good this morning, and thank you everyone for you thoughts.

Sandra, I read back on some of the posts. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Now you will challenge me like Tony does and I will have to bring it on the tricep push-ups. 30 is great!

Have a great day!

Laurie

Week 1, Day 4

Good morning everyone! Boy, am I feeling great today!! I did Yoga X this morning and I LOVED IT! I already practice Ashtanga and Vinyasa style yogas so I was able to follow it well, however I think that if you are new to this type of yoga it would be very difficult to follow. For those new to this type of yoga I would definitely recommend using a DVD with more instruction and work your way up to it. I particularly recommend Yoga Zone's - Power Yoga for Endurance. It is one hour and gives a little more explaination of the poses.

TRACI: You have got me excited to try Stretch X! I think that I will do it on Sunday, my scheduled rest day. Would that be okay to do on a rest day??

X: This is also my first week and I am already dropping weight. I think that I am going to have to up my food intake with this program. Shoulders are also my favorite muscle to work. I also love legs -- although they feel the hardest and most uncomfortable for me to work, I feel like the results are the most motivating for me.

SANDRA - I hope that your Christmas shopping went well. I finished my shopping last night - bought that one final gift. Now I have to tackle wrapping all of it!

JEANETTE - I love that you are one week ahead of me. It will help me with my expectations. I can't wait to find out if you end up doing doubles. I may end up only doing a little bit of doubles -- instead of three times per week, maybe only once or twice per week. I'll have to play it by ear. Phase 2 is light years away anyways, I am getting way ahead of myself. Congratulations on completing all of the mason twists. When I felt like stopping I decided to keep going but bring my feet down to the floor.

Everyone have a wonderful day! It is warm (around 55 degrees) and sunny in St. Louis this morning!

Monica

Good morning everyone!!! I had a wonderful time doing yoga X this am. I am getting sooooo flexible now and it feels great. I was even sweating during my workout today.

Traci - I am so glad that Lukie is doing better. Have a good time doing legs/back and ARX today. I guess that you will be roaring at the end of the workout eh?? LOL

X - Congrats on your weight loss. What a great feeling. Have fun doing Yoga X.

Tracy - My arms are really fatigued by the Back/Biceps workout too. Yesterday, my right arm gave out way before my left. It is really frustrating. So I had to lower my weight too toward the end. The strip curls are what really kills me at the end. I hear what you are saying about those corn cobs.

Laurie - I am glad that your DD is feeling better. It is always a terrible feeling when your kid is sick. Congrats on getting a stretch in though. I looooove stretching. Good luck with chest/back and ARX today.

Monica - I have a love affair going with Yoga X too. Thank you for the yoga info. I will have to check it out. Sounds like a nice day in St. Louis. Enjoy it.

Tomorrow is Back/Legs and ARX. Have a wonderful day!!

Lea

Good morning Xercisers:

I stayed home from work today as my cold has finally progressed. I have megatons of sick time on the books at work so am using some today. Tomorrow is my regular day off and with the weekend, hope to kick this thing to the curb.

Classic Rotation, Phase 1, Week 2, Day 4: Today's workout was YogaX but instead, I opted for Bryan Kest's Power Yoga - Tone. I love this workout and it seems to flow very well for me. I hadn't done it in ages but glad I did and I love the music on it. Feel very stretched out now.

Traci, I enjoyed StretchX the other day too. I also like Slim Series Cool It Off also. Yep, I called in sick today. No, I'm not going to be the one responsible for spreading a cold around, no siree, not me. Actually, the cold raged thru the office a month ago, everyone else got it except me, now it's me. Soooooo glad that Lukie is feeling better. What kind of dog is he? Hope you get some of that cleaning done today. Toilets and baseboards? You mean those have to be cleaned too? Just kidding, but I hate to cleaning the bathrooms.

X-I'm doing 12-15 reps also. I did better on my 2nd week of Shoulders & Arms as I had the weights dialed in better. Glad you liked it. Let us know what you think about YogaX. Way to go on shaking up the body. Think that's what this is all about.

Tracy, sounds like Back & Biceps is going to be quite the workout. Do you have platemates or something to up your weights by a pound? I have some ankle weights that maybe I could use to do small increases.
I like Bryan Kest too. Yes, he's more yogaish than Tony, but I don't mind at all. I really listen to what Bryan says, whereas my mind drifted more with Tony. Could just have been the day. Anyway, no regrets subbing today. I know what you mean about muscle being too big. My legs are too big for my liking, though it's the fat on top of them, but also I have short arms and legs so don't want to much mass. Basically, I would like a little more muscle and more definition. I think during Phase 2 I'll add some doubles in here and there, but am not anxious during this phase 1.

Laurie, enjoy Chest & Back today. I'm glad that one is behind me for the week, though it's a goodie. Glad your DD is better too.

Monica, wish it was warm here, but it's a little dreary outside and besides I have a cold so can't sneak in a bike ride. Darn. I'm hoping to do some doubles later on in the rotation. Just wanting to make sure I get enough rest to "bring it" and see if my body needed a rest from the daily longer workouts I was doing. I'm like you, thinking doubles once or twice a week. I have yet to do CardioX as it hasn't been on this rotation yet.

Lea, glad you enjoyed YogaX. Think I will try it next week again. It was okay, but didn't really "speak" to me. Hey, another Back & Biceps tough workout! Must be a doozy as you're not the only one to be feeling it. I have Legs & Back tomorrow too. Loved it last week.

Jeanette

Jeanette,

I do enjoy Brian Kest and don't mind the more yogaish atmosphere. If I decide to go for a short run today (it's 60 again), I may substiture "tone" for yogax. I must just have a tendency to build larger bicep muscles. They look Ok if they are not flexed, but are looking big to me when they are flexed. Obvioulsy, I'm checking my progress in the mirror too. Oh well, a couple of weeks of not working them hard and they'll look spindly again. I am glad to say that my pants are looser and tops tighter. That's a good sign.

I hope you feel better. If it stays this warm until the weekend, I'm going to have to do a bike ride, it's just too nice to pass up.

Tracy

Hi all!!

I ended up having a busy, late day at the office yesterday so I didn't get my cardio coach in. I'm trying to double up at least a couple days a week to get 4-5 days cardio in on top of my p90X weights. If I miss a few, well that's just life.

This morning I did Cardio Coach #6(Sean). Whoah, that one is a killer. Tonite I'm going to ARX and 45 minutes of yoga.

Getting very close to that holiday time when workouts go by the wayside. I'm determine not to let that happen. As it turns out, Chrismas week is my 2nd recovery week. I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of cardio to burn of those holiday goodies.

Buffy

Jeanette - I hope that you feel better. It took me several tries to get to really like Yoga X. I hated it at first, but stuck with it. Enjoy your days off.

Lea

Hello! ...aaaand breathe! My, I'm bushed. As I typed that, it just hit me that I haven't showered yet today. Completely slipped my mind. Oh well. I can't do it all, all the time, can I? :p

Yesterday was hectic. Today started off the same. But it's now 10:22am, the baby is down for her nap, and I have some time to enjoy my second cup of coffee and leisurely read through all your posts. I did YogaX this morning (5:45 - 7:15), so I've done my turn Bringing It today. That's some challenging yoga! It really gets me right in the glutes and lower back. I cannot do Crane pose worth beans, but am wondering why I would ever want to? My form on those half moons is highly suspect, too. Those are hard! I'm curious how they'll feel 10 weeks from now.

Okay, back over to yesterday's posts:

Buffy - BG standing and abs, in addition to P90X work? Oh my!! I have no doubt you're getting leaner! Did you take before- pics? Christmas is my first recovery week. I thought that was great timing. Then, Jan 1 we both get to start a whole new phase. Yeah baby!

Jeanette - I know what you mean about being impressed by how much you are able to lift with P90X. I never thought I'd be using my 25#ers in a shoulder and bicep workout! I realized on Monday that I need to get some 30s and 35s for the dumbell back work. I put some platemates on my 25#s, and was still able to do at least 15 reps per side. I have one 40lb db, but I think that will be too much. Aw shucks, I get to buy more equipment ;-) How nice that AbX felt better last night. I am still beyond impressed at anyone who can do those mason twists. I can do boat pose well enough, and I can do oblique twists quite fine. I just can't do them at the same time!x( My hands can't make contact with the floor. Am I sitting too far upright? I don't know. I'll just keep practicing, and one of these days it will happen. And I think you're exactly right when you say that the one-arm tricep push ups might be easier for women because we have less weight in the upper body to lift up. I get the arm pump when I do Cathe's PUB, and from the Gym Styles. I just love it. Yesterday I noticed a few veins popping through my biceps and shoulders. Yeah }(

Amy - How is it that DH diagnosed you with the strain? Is he a physician? I know what you mean about it being hard to resist Cathe. I thought about putting in one of her workouts yesterday, just to feed off the energy, but then thought the better of it. It's kind of like deciding to only have one bite of dessert - you end up gobbling the whole thing. KenpoX is nice due to the low-impact nature of it (if you modify the cardio interludes). Are you doing/going to do a P90X rotation?

X - I'm C/Ph1/Wk2/D11. And I'm also very happy that you're joining us sooner rather than later! Personally, I'd rather prevent the holiday pounds from accumulating, rather than be working them off in January. Eric with the prothesis is amazing. I also credit Cathe 100% for making PlyoX do-able for me. Especially those tuck jumps and the Mary Katherine lunges. After the pace that Cathe sets for those, the PlyoX ones don't seem like such a big deal. And the squatting jumping jacks feel quite easy to me, because of all those *&!@ plie jacks Cathe has us do in IMAX3, KickMax, and IMAX2. I don't use the P90X supplements; too expensive to order by mail. I took the label of the free bar with me to the store one day and found a bar that is roughly similar in terms of protein, carb and fiber content. The winner was the PowerBar Harvest Bars (chocolate dipped is yummy). For the recovery drink, I looked for a drink that had a 4:1 simple-carb:protein ratio. Ages ago on the BB website one of their people said that anything with that ratio would work as a good substitute. I'm using Boost, which I have loved for years, so I'm thrilled to get a chance to legitimately drink it. I usually have a Harvest Bar 45mins prior to my workout, then the Boost immediately after. I still eat a full breakfast, lunch, and dinner on top of the supplements. And a snack in the afternoon. Nothing after dinner (no bed time snack is really hard for me, but I'm doing what they suggest and not eating 3 hours before bed time).

Monica - I hope you get your stomach troubles diagnosed soon. I find Ab Ripper X gets better every time I do it - but also harder!! And the workout I've done just prior to it makes a bit difference, too. It's "easiest" after Shoulders & Arms, "medium" after Chest & Back, and "hardest" after Legs & Back. I'll be interested in hearing whether you also find this to be the case. Wrapping the Christmas gifts x( Why'd you have to remind me? That means that one of these nights I'll actually have to stay up later than my children. How sad is it that I go to bed at the same time as a 6year old and a 1 year old? Ah, but I'm up 2 hours earlier, so it's all good.

Lea - Is Back/Biceps harder even than Chest/Back from Phase 1? My left bicep is weaker than my right, and my right shoulder is weaker than my left. My right shoulder is actually "double-jointed", and I can slip it out of it's socket pretty easily. I have to be careful when I do weighted work with it, and make sure my form is perfect. An overhead press with 25# and a fatigued shoulder muscle could really hurt. But I have to admit that as I've strengthened my shoulders over the last few years, the joint is much less looser. Weight training is so good for the body.

Traci - 35-40 relatives coming over on Saturday??? You got a big table?? I wasn't able to get the Moon Sand yesterday. They were sold out. From the description I read, I gather that it's much like play doh, but it's sand. It shapes and holds together (I guess 'cause there's no gravity on the moon?), but doesn't fall apart and make a mess everywhere. Sounds like the ideal substance!! I guess every other parent in the city thought so, too...I counted heads frequently yesterday and No Child Got Left Behind. It was a good day. I actually got all of my presents purchased, which I wasn't expecting. Woohoo. Sunday morning I'll be out the door at 8am and heading to Walmart for stocking stuffers. Then, I shall be done. Ahhhhhhhh.....I'm thrilled that YogaZone was just what you were looking for. YogaX is really way beyond Beginner, not so much in the poses and flows, but in the lack of instruction on how to do yoga. There is so much technical instruction in order to get the most out of every pose. I know that I still don't do all the poses 100% correctly, but at least I'm aware of what I have to work towards. Tony doesn't go into all that detail. Oh well. At least he's got people stretching :)

Laurie - How is DD today? Better, I hope? I love X-Stretch. You're one of 7 kids? Wow, that's a lot!! Where are you in the birth order? Yes, I challenge you to do 30 one-arm tricep push ups. And when you achieve that, I guess I'll have to go for 31 LOL!

Tracy - glad to see you today! What are corn cob pull ups? (do I really want to know?). I love the forearm pump I'm getting from the upper body weight work. I'll have a superhero grip by the end of this LOL.

Well, it's now 11:19am. A whole hour to write one email. Did you read every word? Hm? Hmmmmmmmmm? There will be a test! Here's hoping the computer doesn't crash just as I hit the send button.

Cheers,
Sandra

Sandra - I am sitting here with my jaw dropped open. You ARE Wonder Woman!!! You need to get 30's and 35#'s for back work AND you use 25's for shoulder and bicep work???? I have some work to do to catch up to you woman. Have a good day!!

Lea

Sandra, yes you are super strong!!! I'm hoping I can pull out my 20's next week. You are a pretty busy gal. I agree that Cathe has prepared up pretty well. Mary Catherines are fun and I do love PlyoX. Love all the variety in it and that you don't get bored. I keep wondering how much cardio capacity I've lost as I haven't tested myself on anything lately and with this cold, I won't for a while.

The only cardio I'm going to go do now is decorate the house with Christmas stuff. I'm later than usual this year for some reason.

Got to run,

Jeanette

Hi all-
CL/PH 2/Wk 6
Today was a whirlwind.... 5 hours of housecleaning unexpected visitors, wrapping neices & nephews gifts for Saturdays party, more baking & laundry.... Almost 6pm and have yet to do Legs & Back ... I just may take today as off and workout Saturday am to keep on somewhat of a schedule.

X:Congrats on the clean eating and results thus far! I love the no-bloat w/ clean foods... Makes you see your new muscles nicely. I love Sh & Arms as well... He takes that one out in Phase 2 and reintroduces it back in Phase 3. I am so ready for it again! Since you are Yoga Woman I'm sure you enjoyed Yoga X. How difficult/easy was it for you?

Tracy: Awesome job w/ those biceps & Legs! I so want BIG muscles!!! Send me some of your extra bicep pump would ya? Way cool on wt increases! LOL about our dogs who are "eaters".. its just amazing to me they get so dang much pleasure out of it! I think I'll really like Kest... I tend to lean towards the more yogi type of teachers..all very Zen for me. I could use some Zen today!

Jeanette: Great job getting your yoga in although you werent feeling all that great. I need some of your dedication! Kudo's on doing even semi-doubles... its an energy drainer on the days I sneak in extra.

Laurie: Hooray for DD! That must take a load off your mind! Glad you enjoyed Stretch X its a keeper!

Monica: LOL "warm is 55" I really dont know how you ladies do it.. I am like a dang bear in the winter on the 5 really cold days a year we have! Stretch X is a GREAT rest day routine! TRUST ME - not a plyo,a yoga pose, a mason twist in it! I LOL when I see you and others post the actual Yoga moves you like... I cant do them, say them or spell them. Maybe by end of 3 rounds of P90X in 2007 I'll be able to keep up w/ you guys.

LEA: Hope Yoga was great today! I related to your bicep giving out early... It was my left one that was 2 reps shy of right side. The left side is usually my strongest... Hope I dont get lopsided by all this! ha

Buffy: We have the same recovery week and I too am excited to get in lots of cardio!!! Thankfully all the Holiday CRAZINESS is really over for me after this weekend... DH and I just chill out after the big party... We do a few toasts w/ friends in evenings but thats it. Very different than if you have kids/family around. DH's moms birthday is Christmas day & since we celebrate their christmas this saturday we just celebrate her birthday on the 25th. (DH & I do our xmas AM of 25th)My family is all in CA so that keeps it quiet.

SANDRA: Are you doble dipping the caffeine??????? I know I AM! Cracked me up about Crane Pose! Thats exactly what I asked the TV the first time I saw Tony do it... WHY ON EARTH DO I NEED TO DO THIS? lolololol Ok woman- 25#s and 15 reps? Whats up with that??? You dont even need this program...you should be TEACHING the dang thing. Don't want to meet you in a darl alley on a bad mood day!
Thanks for sharing the specifics on your brands of bars / recovery drink. I will switch to those when my P90X supply is gone as I like to use them even in non Tony rotations...OK now 25#s on overhead press? This is just insane woman! My overhead presses are my weakest exercise to perform... I'm a wimp at 10#/15reps...I'm cryin' & cussin' by the last rep. On Moon Sand...hope you dont have to become one of those lunatic ladies on Xmas eve decking a mom in Walmart for the last one! Is that why you're doing P90X? So you can pop them one?
Hugs to ya!!!!!

Oven is dinging... gotta go put in more brownies :7

>Oven is dinging... gotta go put in more brownies :7

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
BROWNIES!

Monica

Hi all! I have been lurking a bit on your check in and would like to start posting...hope this is okay! I am in Phase 1 and week 2 of the Classic rotation of P90X. I have obviously been a big fan of Cathe for a while...but heard so many good things about P90X that I thought I would try it...So far so good! I do add in some Cathe cardio at least once a week. I can already see some more muscle definition..especially in my shoulders and biceps. So I am happy with this, of course! I have found that the food diary is helpful with keeping me accountable to my eating habits (which aren't the greatest!!!)

A little about me...I have one DD, a dog and a cat and a DH who is currently working in Moscow, Russia. I am a stay at home mom...but seem to keep pretty busy between carting my DD around, working out, etc.

Thanks (in advance) for letting me join in!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Hi Debra. Welcome. Wow, you must be really busy right now with a DH who is away. Look forward to chatting with you.

Lea

Sandra- DH used to be an corpsman in the US Navy. He saw patients in outpatient clinic and diagnosed/treated problems on a daily basis. He really loved orthopedic stuff and was going to school to be a physician's assistant before his health took the nosedive 3 yrs ago. No, I am not up to the entire P90X rotation....YET!!! I am getting there, I just have to build up to it! I guess that I really like the "whole body" workouts vs the "one-two" body parts at a time as well. I feel more "worked out" that way. What's up with the Moon Sand?

I am continually amazed at how our body adapts so rapidly! Where last week I had problems moving because of KenpoX DOMS, this week, I didn't have a one!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.