Xer's Check In for 12/12!

Netta

Cathlete
Hi all!

Today was PlyoX, which I really, really like! I love the variety, the Heisman holds and lots of others. Makes me feel athletic. Today I was able to jump higher and bring more knowing that I could. I was sweating like crazy at the end, but not exhausted. I ordered a digital Timex HRM yesterday as Heartrate Monitor USA emailed me back and said that the digital HRM's may do better in front of the TV (interference problem). I ordered one last night and we'll see how it works out.

I had a slight sore throat yesterday afternoon and thought it would escalate into a cold, but woke up feeling good and lots of energy so went for it this morning. I haven't had a cold since last April so I guess I'm due.

Hope everyone has good workouts today. You all inspire me so much!

Jeanette

I am not a regular poster here, but I lurk because I use P90X workouts as a supplement to my regular rotation. I haven't worked up the guts to do the entire rotation yet, but then again my body doesn't do well with that much weight lifting (I tend to do better with 2 days/week and 4 days of cardio). I did KenpoX last week and plan to do it again this week....loved it and the resulting (albiet unexpected) DOMS in the back/lats and shoulders!!!

Anyway, I am just stopping by to let you all know that Traci may or may not be in today. One of her beloved dogs is aging and has been having lots of trouble over the weekend. She to the dog to the Emergency vet this weekend and is going to be taking her to their regular vet this morning as soon as they open. Please keep her in your thoughts today (and her DH as he is crazily attached to the dogs as well!)

Thanks for letting my crash your check-in!

P.S. Miss you Sandra!!!;-)

Hi Amy! Thanks for dropping in and letting us know about Traci. I hope that everything is all right.

Jeanette - Good for you for doing plyo today. Sounds like you are getting stronger. Yay!!!
Plus I am glad that you are feeling better.

Today is suppose to be plyo for me, but my stomach has really been not feeling well these days, so I might have to sub cardio x.

Good luck to you all today. Have a great workout!!

Lea

Morning Eveyone,

Today will be KenpoX for me. I will see if I can get my heart rate up during the blocks. My HR fell during this last time. I will have to remember to "bring it".

Jeanette, I'm a huge fan of PlyoX. You can really get a great workout on this one, depending on how much you put into it. I sweat buckets on this one also.

Traci, I'm thinking of you and know what you all are going through.

Lea, Have to tell me how you like Cardio X, that is one I haven't tried yet.

Have a great day

Laurie

Thanks, Amy, for posting about Traci. I was worried. I too was surprised at the DOMS from KenpoX. I had some soreness in my right shoulder (outer part) that is gone now and I'm pretty sure it was from KenpoX. I'm really not sure what is best for my body, but I know that all cardio and little weights are not so good.

Traci, will be thinking of you today. I know how hard it is with our pets. We have 2 (Dachshund and German Shorthair) that are our babies. They go everywhere with us. Sending out good vibes for you and your DH.

Lea, sorry your stomach is acting up. Do you think it's a bug or something you're eating not agreeing? Hope you feel strong enough to get in some kind of workout.

Laurie, yep, I really like PlyoX and I'm surprised as I usually hated anything plyolike of Cathe's. Guess I can do anything for 30 seconds. I'm hoping a new HRM helps make these workouts even better. I haven't done CardioX yet either.

Good workouts today to everyone!

Jeanette

Hi all,

Amy – Thanks for letting us know about Traci. Maybe you should give the whole P90x rotation a try. I’ve gradually decreased aerobics and increased weight work and seen great results. Why don’t you join us even if you don't do the rotation?

Traci – I’m sorry to hear about your dog. I hope that everything is OK.

Lea – I hope that you feel better. Nothing worse than being sick; especially when you're making progress working out.

Laurie – I think my heart rate went down at that point in kenpox. I’ll just have to work a little harder. I really like that workout though. I did a little cathe cardio before I did it last time and I was much looser and able to work the punches better. The older I get, the longer the warm up I need.

Jeanette – I love plyox too. There seems to be unlimited room for improvement on that one.

I did ch/sh/tri last night. I increased all my weights by 1+lbs, but on some had to do less reps. It was much better the second time around and I could actually do a reasonable one armed pushup on my knees of course. I had a good pump in my arms and love the feeling or really working deep into the muscles.

Sandra – I noticed you’re working on your dissertation. I defended mine last fall. I’m always good for moral support if you need some.

I have plyo x for later today. I’m looking forward to that one.

Tracy

DAY 2, WEEK 1
Good morning,

Jeanette -- I enjoyed reading your thoughts on PlyoX - as I did it for the first time this morning. WOWZER!! I was panting through the entire thing. I thought that with my IMAX experience that I would be able to just breeze through this. I was very wrong.

I thought that some of the names of moves were very funny. Such as, Mary Katherine! That was so funny! I couldn't quite get the hang of "Pitch and Catch". I have never actually thrown a baseball. I really enjoyed "Footbal Hero". It was a lot of fun. I was gasping for air and laughing so hard at "Rock Star Hop". Thank god my husand was sleeping deeply. If he would have woken up and seen me attempting that he would have been rolling on the floor. He is a guitar player in a band and I haven't ever seen him do a move like that!

When I was done this morning I had never felt so hungry after a workout! I did it first thing this morning on an almost empty stomach (ate a handful of grapes first).

My abs are sore from Ab Ripper X yesterday. My chest and back are a little tight from Chest & Back, but not as bad as I expected. I am concerned that I may not get the full benefit of P90X without a pull up bar. I felt like I wanted more resistance from the band.

Tracy -- WOW! You are doing one armed pushups! That is awesome!

I am so excited about the new challenges I have to look forward to with P90X! I think that I will start taking naps after work now!

Have a great day everyone!
Monica

Hi Monica,

I still have a ways to go before mastering plyox because by the "river hops" or whatever he calls them, my ability to land softly is almost gone. I haven't gotten the hand of the "pitch and catch" yet either and by that time, I'm almost like who cares.

Isn't it amazing how trying to keep your legs straight makes some of the abs stuff so difficult? I'm trying to work on my hamstring flexibility so that there is not so much resistance to keeping my legs straight. We'll see if it gets any easier.

Tracy

>Hi Monica,
>
>I still have a ways to go before mastering plyox because by
>the "river hops" or whatever he calls them, my ability to land
>softly is almost gone. I haven't gotten the hand of the "pitch
>and catch" yet either and by that time, I'm almost like who
>cares.
>
>Isn't it amazing how trying to keep your legs straight makes
>some of the abs stuff so difficult? I'm trying to work on my
>hamstring flexibility so that there is not so much resistance
>to keeping my legs straight. We'll see if it gets any easier.
>
>Tracy
>

Tracy -- I didn't have the ability to land softly on any of the moves. I was landing so loudly that I was shaking the house and thought that I was going to wake my husband!

You are right -- keeping my legs straight on some of the abdominatl moves did make it difficult. It also exhausted my hip flexors!

I am looking forward to Shoulders & Arms tomorrow -- I have read other people's posts that this is a good workout. I hope my biceps and triceps get a good burn!

Monica

Good morning!

Like Jeanette, PlyoX is on deck for me today. Thank you for posting such an enthusiastic post about it, Jeanette. I have to say that all that jumping around just doesn't sound very appealing to me today. I feel more like doing a LowMax or Rhythmic Step. But I'm sure once I get into it, I'll feel good. And you're right - I CAN do anything for 30 seconds. Right? RIGHT??

Laurie - how many siblings do you have? I only have one, but my father was one of 17. Large families are fascinating. Like you, I found my HR dropping significantly during the blocking segment, too. I'm not sure how to Bring It more intensely during that section, except to just try harder next time. Maybe familiarity with the moves will allow that to happen. Or maybe he intended to give us a bit of a break, after all that kicking? Happy kickboxing!

Amy!! Hola! I miss your daily posts! I might have to just pretend to be following WW so I can post on that check in, too! I did KenpoX for the first time last Saturday and really liked it. I felt it in my core the next day. Thank you for telling us about Traci's pup. I felt some alarm when I saw she hadn't yet posted. I'm keeping her in my thoughts, and really really hoping that her baby pulls through for them. I'm not sure these sterile typed words are truly reflecting the sympathy and concern I feel, but it's there.

Lea - enjoy Cardio X! I'd forgotten about that one; that I can sub it if I want. I'm going to start PlyoX, and if it just feels wrong, I'll sub Cardio X. Great idea.

Tracy - one armed pushups?? Oh dear, I'd better review the book on that workout!! I hear you and Traci talking about how hard it is; I think I need to get mentally prepared! Congratulations on defending your dissertation!!!! What is your area? And are you working in an occupation that uses your academic skills? I'm in my 10th year of working on mine, but I've been part-time since my 1st daughter was born, in 2000. I'm actually very, very close to finishing. If I can just stop procrastinating, I might actually get done. One thing I've figured out (I've had a sneaking suspicion for some time) is that the intensity of my workouts prior to P90X combined with my attempts to lose weight via calorie-deficit was sapping my mental energy and just generally leaving me feeling indecisive and depressed. I've written more in the last few days than I have in months, and with more enthusiasm and concentration. I'm feeling really buoyed these days. I guess upping my food intake and reducing the draining cardio workouts is doing me some good, mentally speaking (and physically, too, I hope!). I'm actually optimistic that I can get a final draft to my supervisor by the middle of next week. And I always love to hear words of encouragement, so any tips you might have are very welcome.

Monica - Yes, some of those moves in PlyoX are a bit on the goofy side, but they do make it more fun, don't they? 2 days down - 88 to go! Can you believe that in about 5 weeks YOU will be doing one-armed pushups, too? Shoulders & Arms is my favourite of this round of weight workouts. I enjoy using dumbells, rather than heaving around my body weight.

You all have no idea the things my 14month old gets up to while I'm sitting here typing. I just caught her eating a sandwich that she'd pulled from the garbage! The other day she was using my toothbrush to clean the toilet. A while ago she was using a cheese grater to shred a soft oatmeal cookie all over the living room carpet. And the list could go on....

I'd better get off my duff, get the baby down for her nap, and then BRING IT! (Just do my best, and forget the rest!)

Cheers,
Sandra

PloyX for me too today. I love that one so much, particularly the variety. Time just zips by. I almost skipped it this morning because I have early morning meetings every Tues. but happily I banged it out. Tonite I will do abs since I blew it off last nite in favor of Cardio Coach #3. I may do a Butts and Guts premix.

Enjoy your workouts.

Buffy.

Laurie - How was Kenpo X for you today? Were you able to get you HR up?

Jeanette - Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I might have a little bug since my stomach has been buggin since Sunday.

Monica - LOL, I feel the same way about the pitch and catch as you do with the rock star. My DH is a HUGE sports fan and baseball is his favorite, so I sometimes think that he is going to correct my form with this move. Plyo is a workout though isn't it?

Tracy, Sandra, and Buffy - Hope you had fun with Plyo today.

I felt so guilty that I did plyo today. I am sooo glad it is over:)!!! Tomorrow, Back/Biceps and ARX.

Until then....

Lea

Back again. PlyoX round 2 is in the bag! WOOHOO! And this time - it felt *hard*!! I think either these workouts all together, as assembled in the rotation, either layer on the intensity, or the lack of carbs in the Fat Shredders portion of the eating plan lower your endurance. If it's the lack of carbs, then hopefully all that work I just did actually burned off some fat! I have to say that my middle certainly looks leaner these days, and I think my arms are looking great. If I'm already seeing results during Week2, I can't wait to see what Week12 will bring!!

Buffy - I agree about the variety making PlyoX zip by. And if you find a particular drill uncomfortable or just not to your liking, then you get past it pretty quick and on to something else. I can put up with anything for 30 seconds :)

Lea - Good on you for doing PlyoX today. Feels super to be able to check that one off the calendar, hey?

Shoulders and Arms tomorrow!! Now THAT one, I look forward to!

Herculette-in-training,
Sandra

Sandra – I did my dissertation in special education and I do work in the field. I’m trying to get some part time work assisting with a research project because that is what I’d really like to do. Just keep setting goals for yourself, be realistic about them and continue on. Even though I really don’t make much more money, completing the dr was one of the best things I’ve ever done for my self.

Lea – Back and biceps for me tomorrow too. I did deadlifts last Tuesday and I won’t do that again. I think that it compromised my performance on back and biceps the next day. I liked that one. If I don’t get bigger biceps from that I never will.

Monica – I really liked shoulders and arms. It’s a great workout. I hope you enjoy it tomorrow.

Tracy

Hey, everyone! Sounds like everyone's really "Bringing It" today! I'm starting to think that maybe I need to switch to the P90X Classic rotation. I'm doing the P90X Lean now. Can one do that? Who else is doing the Lean version? I'm just starting Week 2 today! It kind of feels cool to already have one week down, but I can't wait to see the results when I get to Phase 3. I'm down for Core Synergistics today.

Buffy, Monica, and Jeanette - You SO make me want to do PlyoX! It's not on the Lean rotation at all. Could you compare the intensity of it to something of Cathe's? I'm alreay having Cathe withdrawls and it's only been 1 week!

Laurie - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cardio X! Cool moves, get a great workout without killing yourself! One of my favorites of Tony's! You will love it, too!

Have fun getting fit everyone!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie and rest of Xers,

(Hoping Traci's little one makes out OK)

I am going to be doing the Lean Rotation, in fact I am starting today but in an unofficial capacity because I am trying to figure out when I can switch to clean eating in a commited, focused fashion. I just know that there will be some cocktails and treats between now and Jan 2nd.

But, I have thought a lot about Classic vs Lean. I can already tell that the Lean rotation along with the nutritional plan will be very effective for me.

Regarding cardio: I did Core Synergistics this am and LOVED, LOVED it. I have a lot to acieve and accomplish but I love that aspect. I firmly believe that this particular w/o is cardio for me! Now, it's not Imax 3 heart pumping or a 5 mile outdoor run type cardio but it is definitely an intense, short bursts of cardio that have a huge afterburn effect. Anytime you are working several muscle groups at once, even just using your body weight, you are cranking your metabolism for that post workout calorie burn.

With KenpoX, no it's not KPC, but I comoletely trust the workout as an effective fat burner. I know alot of people struggle with what they feel is the less intense style than that of Cathe but I remember I got in the most ripped shape of my life several years ago when I was enrolled in a boxing series that did workouts very similar to the lean rotation. I trust the process.

However, I want PlyoX in my rotation too. I read through a Q&A with Tony where he gives the green light to sub PlyoX for CardioX but not more than once/week due to all the leg work in the Lean rotation. So, tomorrow (Day #2 Lean)I am due for CardioX but I'm going to trial PlyoX.

I also want to do the Lean rotation, followed by the Classic and finally the Doubles....the triple whammy in 2007!

X

X,

Thanks so much for replying! You're so right - I am a little hesitant because these workouts are not the same intense style as I'm used to with Cathe, so I'm kind of like, "I don't know if this will really work." I'm going to take your advice and trust the process. I'm glad you told me about Tony giving the green light for subbing PlyoX for Cardio X one a week - I'm going to do that this week. Thanks for responding with your educated advice on this!

Stephanie

>Buffy, Monica, and Jeanette - You SO make me want to do PlyoX!
>It's not on the Lean rotation at all. Could you compare the
>intensity of it to something of Cathe's? I'm alreay having
>Cathe withdrawls and it's only been 1 week!

Plyometrics X is all cardio, however the intensity and the jump in my heart rate reminds me of Cathe's Boot Camp. Also the fact that everything is either 30 seconds or 1 minute -- that is similar to Boot Camp. Those would be about the only similarities. I really enjoyed the challenge, and had to remind myself throughout the workout that it is okay to struggle and go at my own pace, as I have time for improvement. I would definitely suggest sub-ing Plyo-X once per week for more challenge and variety in the Lean rotation.

Could anyone tell me what they think of CardioX? It is not in the Classic rotation, but I am considering doing Doubles when I reach Phase 2. Any opinions on Cardio X?

Monica

Stephanie - You've got me all curious about the lean rotation now. I want to go look at my manual and see what it's about, but that's just another way for me to procrastinate, so I'll resist. I'll try and do it tonight, perhaps. My ears twiged up when I heard X say there's a lot of leg work in the lean rotation. Leg work is a big calorie burner - very, very effective even if it's not high impact. I would think low impact, but deep, is probably even better than high impact. I just started Week2 of the Classic rotation, and while it's the exact same workouts as Week1, they feel harder this week. Last week I wanted to add Cathe stuff. This week I want to nap. Maybe Week2 of the lean rotation will feel the same way for you? CardioX is not in the Classic rotation at all. I'm very curious about it, and might give it a whirl one of these days.

X - talk about metabolic afterburn! I've got it going on today, I think! I did PlyoX this morning, and was ready to eat my house by lunch time. Put a bit of salt on the baby, and she'd have been gone. Since PlyoX felt more challenging today, I'm anticipating KenpoX will also feel more intense on Saturday. That's a good thing :) You're going to do all three rotations in a year?? Wow. That's a whole lot of Tony LOL!! I'm not even sure I'll be able to get through 12 weeks of doing the same workouts repeatedly. I get bored very easy. Even with Cathe, I rarely did any of her workouts more than once a month. But I think I need to get over that. There's probably some very big benefits from repeating a workout frequently. I'm glad you're joining us a bit early! I was going to wait until Jan 1 to start, but my enthusiasm got the better of me and I started Dec 1. This is probably good for me, as I'm very enthusiastic about the eating plan right now, and this will keep me from gaining those holiday pounds.

Okay, I need to go find out if Toys R Us sells Moon Sand.

Cheers,
Sandra

Sandra,

Low salt babies are far better than salted but you need to think about the high fat content in one of those adorable creatures!

I am very knowlegable about afterburn and the confusion that so many people have comparing Cathe to P90X. It's like apples and oranges. It's a tricky slope to slide when all you do is count calories burned on the HR monitor as a measure of intensity...although the temptation is always there.

Cathe is a wonderful prelude to P90X but this is the real deal for physique transformation.

X

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.