X'ers 1/3 WEDNESDAY

teddy16410

Cathlete
Morning X'ers... slept in today until 5:15! Thats REALLY late for me!!

Classic/Phase 3 / Week 1 / Day 3
Today: Shoulders & Arms + ARX ....YIPPEE! First time since Ph 1 I get to do SH *ARMs....ITS MY VERY VERY VERY Favorite!!!! Cant wait to see strength increases since 5 weeks ago!

Caught up with all but 1 yesterday afternoon....BUSY board!

Monica: Glad you got some great stuff out of Core Syn... I too think its an amazing non weighted w/o with lots of benefits. Its not on my Most Loved List but it does always give me DOMS in new places.

Great Morning to all!

Hi all,

Classic/Phase 3/Week 1/Day3

Shoulders and arms for me too and I feel the same way as Traci, I love that workout too. Arx is done. I had to keep my leg bent a little on the scissors, but otherwise Ok.

BBL, I have a busy day at work.

Tracy

Well, good morning, Tracy and Traci! Took me a bit yesterday to realize we had 2 Tracies! LOL Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake! LOL

Classic/Phase 1/Week 1/Day 3 Arms & Shoulders and AbRipper X. DONE! Got up at 5:30 to do it and I'm glad it's done! I LOVED A&S. First time out for me for everything so this whole week is a learning experience.

Thanks, ladies, for not laughing at me yesterday when I said PlyoX was easier than anticipated. I'm a bit sore today in the legs and hip areas. HAH! Laugh's on me!

BBL to see how everybody's making out! Thanks for welcoming me here!

Gayle

Hi all in "X-Land"

Class/Phase 2/Week 5 / Day 4

Did Back & Biceps today.. another great workout!

I have started to add the core work ( ARX or other) to the end of cardio days. I find that after the weight workouts, I can hardly do the Core work. Actually subbed 20 minutes of the standing abs from Turbo Jam Abs the other day.

Traci: you are doing so great!

Tracy: Great on doing ARX. The scissors are about the only thing I can handle ( all the Pilates I did I guess!)

Talk to you soon!

Deb

Hi Xers!

Classic/Ph1/Wk1/Day2

Wow, both DH and I slept like logs, went to bed early and all night I could feel my upper back, shoulders and chest all screaming at each other confused as hell as to what shook them up. On deck in just a few minutes will be PlyoX. ARX went well last evening. I do like it better as a PM split. It seemed that I could breath and focus on getting one more rep out. The combo sit up, then V ups are the tough ones for me. Love, love the oblique crunches, perhaps because of Cathe.

Diet went perfectly, perhaps a little short on water but running to bathroom at work all day can get annoying...all that unzipping, snapping and the beeper rolling off my belt!

OK, a little P90x trivia fun: I drilled deep into the site to read and view multiple clips of the making of P90X from initial conception to the wrapping of the filming in March 2004. Fascinating!!!

Did you know that Tony really wanted to incorproate jump roping as he feels it is a critical component of fitness? But at the end of the day, all agreed that it was not a practical piece of equipment for viewers at home standing in front of a TV. Lots of very, very interesting info. Also how they delt with working the back without sophisticated cable machines, ie. the band instaed.

In the clip below, if you scroll down you will see a picture of the infamous Senor Mysterioso who is embedded in each workout!

http://www.beachbody.com/text/content/products/p90x/create/entry21/index.html

Enjoy your X-day!

X

X-GREAT link, thanks for sharing that! I had to bookmark it and force myself to walk away or I could spend the entire day sitting here at my PC! LOL

Gayle

Morning Everyone,

Classic/Phase 2/Week 1/Day 2

Today will be Back & Biceps and ABX. First time doing Back & Biceps for me.

Gayle, welcome to the X. I have found great strength gains and see changes.

Did PlyoX yesterday and with this cold there where quite a few tissues thrown around. Guess I missed the trash a few times :D, but I finished with no problems.

Have a great day!

Laurie

Classic/Phase 3/Week 1/Day 3

Hi everyone. Wow, it seems like the group is getting bigger. How great is that!! Today is Shoulder/Arms and ARX for me also. I have to tell you that I have major DOMS from Chest and Back the other day. So I hope that I don't have any problems today. Yesterday I did Imax 3, which was easier after all that plyo X, but it was much needed for the fun factor. Now I am ready to do plyo next week.

Traci - I am glad that you were able to sleep in today. I usually wake up at 5 so 6 would be sleeping in for me. I will be curious to see how much strength you have gained with this workout. Have a great time doing it, but I know I don't have to tell you that.

Gayle - Plyo really gets to you the next day doesn't it? I still get sore the next day after doing that workout. For me it never gets easier. LOL on the Tracy/Traci's by the way. I always have to check to make sure I am spelling each Tracy/i's name correctly.

Deb - Good job on back and biceps. I am glad that you figured out what works for you with ARX,

Laurie - LOL on the tissues. And kudos to you for working out with a cold. Did you sweat out your cold with plyo? Have a great time doing back and biceps.

X - Thanks for the link. I have to check it out. I am glad that you were able to get a good night's sleep. I too use to love the oblique crunches, but now after my form has improved and am able to keep my legs straight, it really hard for me. Now I love the roll up/V ups. Have a good time doing plyo today.

Sandra - I hope that you are hanging in there with your sugar withdrawls. I feel for you too! Have a great day.

Jeanette - You used to get up at 2:30am to workout? What time did you go to bed? Ouch. I am glad that you like your new schedule, but sorry that your vacation time is over. Are you posting your 30 day pics? I think that it is amazing to see the changes as we go along. Sounds like you are doing great!

I wanted to say hi to anyone that I missed. Have a great day.

Lea

Morning!

Classic/Phase 2/Week 1/Day 3

Today was my first time doing Back & Biceps. Tough workout, but the first time thru is always tough mentally as I have nothing to really challenge myself against. That's why it's soooo wonderful for me to write down the weights & reps. I was using the Bowflex (lat pulldowns) for all of the pullups and wondering why I was struggling so much. Thought I had it on 55# but had it on 60 instead. I did seem to have more of a challenging back workout today, but am sure I'll improve. I'm still feeling my triceps from Monday's workout of CST.

My niece is coming this afternoon to take pictures. I may or may not post depending on if I see a difference. Some days I do, some days I don't depending on how puffy I am with water. This morning, I am puffy. Sigh. I'll be extra vigilant on the water all day at work.

Traci, I'm looking forward to hearing how Sh & Arms is for you today and if you can up your weights. Glad you got to sleep in. I was wide awake at 3:15 but got up around 3:45, just couldn't sleep. I did sleep like a log last night though.

Tracy, wondering what your experience will be with Sh & Arms today. Glad you got AbX out of the way. I remembered when DH started doing AbX with me on Monday night, he started doing the bicycle move and put his arms in the air like the black guy does. He didn't keep them up there too long and really struggled thru the entire workout. I mean big time struggled. Think he really surprised himself. He's going to work on the Bowflex tonite while I do AbX. Tee hee, funny how they are legends in their own minds.

Gayle, glad you liked Arms & Shoulders today. I like that one too. Next time you'll do even better as you'll have a benchmark to refer back to. I saw lots of improvement with this workout in Phase 1. That PlyoX is a good one. I always feel it's working my legs good.

Deb, I like doing Turbo Jam Abs also. I like doing my abwork at night now. Frees up my mornings.

Laurie, hope the cold is better. What did you think of Back and Biceps? I think it's a tough one but a good one. I don't think I've ever worked my biceps that much.

X- enjoy PlyoX. Jump rope would not work in my house. Heck I have to watch I don't hit the ceiling fan when I do step workouts. I already broke one of the lights a few months ago. Too zealous on a jump move.

Lea, yep, I was crazy and got up at 2:30, vegged with coffee and reading on the computer and then worked out from 4:30. At 4:30, DH would get up and want to watch the news. After that, it was all about getting ready for work. I would go to bed at 8:30. I don't seem to need that much sleep. Was raring to go this morning at 3:15, but waited a while to get up. I do like the weekends and sleeping in a little. Hope your DOMS eases up. I've had DOMS on these workouts but never enough to have them interfere with the next scheduled workout. Seems like the next workout always incorporates different muscles so it works out okay. Hopefully, you can really bring it today with Sh/Arms.

Must go now,

Jeanette

PHASE 1 / WEEK 4 / DAY 3 / CLASSIC

Good morning everyone! Today was Kenpo X. I gotta say my back and upper abdominal musles were slightly sore this morning from Core Synergistics. I feel like having that little bit of soreness was a reminder all through Kenpo to keep my core tight. I got a lot more out of Kenpo this morning than I normally do. It was also great only having to work out for one hour before work. That seems much more managable than 1.5 hours.

Although I really enjoy Stretch X, I am not really wanting to do it tomorrow. I feel like I want to keep going strong and do something more challenging. Boy - by the time next week comes around I'll be dying to take on Phase 2!

GAYLE -- Glad that you enjoyed Arms & Shoulders -- as others mentioned, I think that you will get more out of it next time if you wrote down your weights and reps. Are you going for 8-10 or 10-12 reps? I am doing 8-10. Let us know how Yoga X goes! It is my favorite P90X workout!

DEB -- I am excited to hear that you enjoyed Back and Biceps. I will be trying that one next week when I enter Phase 2. I also look forward to trying Cardio X next week as I attempt Doubles.

X -- I hope that Plyo X went well this morning. I was laughing when I read your post because we are exact opposites when it comes to ARX. The combo sit up / V ups are my favorites and I'm really getting more form good on those, however I despise the oblique crunches. Honestly, I think about them all the way through ARX and how much I dread getting to them because they are so friggin hard for me! I cannot keep my legs straight either like Tony says to do. Let me know if you have any pointers on those. Also -- I checked out the link that you posted -- that was good stuff!

LEA -- How exciting that you have entered Phase 3. Glad that you enjoyed IMAX 3 -- I already miss my Cathe workouts. I will get to do them again in 9 weeks or so!

JEANETTE -- Good luck on the pics. Keep in mind that even if you cannot see the changes on the outside yet, there are changes going on. Everyone's body changes at different rates. I have read from several others that they saw a lot of changes in Phase 3.

Everyone have a great day!!

Monica

Hi to all....Sorry I haven't posted lately, but with my DH home haven't had much time...Just wanted to drop by and let you know I am thinking about you guys and will be posting regularly again starting on Saturday. I've read some posts...but haven't had a lot of time to catch up!

I am kind of off of my schedule with my DH here so I did Step Blast this morning...should be able to get to Chest, Shoulders and Tris tomorrow if all goes as planned...

Sorry, no time for personals now..Just wanted to drop by and say keep up all the hard work you guys!

Take care!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Quick Note:

Okay - as the day goes on, I am feeling the effects of Core Synergistics from last night in my upper abs more and more. Every time that I have to get up from my desk and walk around I can't believe how sore I am. I rarely get DOMS in my abdominals, so I am excited about this!

Monica

Hi again. Really had a great workout with Shoulders and Arms today. My stregnth has really improved. Doing 20# mostly on the shoulder and bicep exercises today, when I was doing 15#. Yay. As for ARX, I think I put so much energy into shoulders and arms, that was a flop. Oh well, can't have great days all the time.

Jeanette - You are so a crazy woman. Doing 60 instead of 55#. Have a great day at work.

Monica - I am glad that Core Synergistics did it's job. It's a great feeling. Enjoy X Stretch tomorrow, even though you have the energy to do more. Those rest weeks are important.

Debra - Glad that you are able to do workouts with your schedule all up in the air. But it is worth it having the DH home. Thank you for dropping in.

Yoga X tomorrow, which as always, I am really looking forward too :). Until next time.

Lea

Hi! Such great info and input on the workouts. To answer a question above (sorry, forgot who asked) and to add to the input....I am going for the longer reps (funny, cuz I thought is was 12-15 for the upper rep count). I did use the worksheets that came with the workouts. I am such a prude that I HAVE to write every single thing down. I was able to instantly identify which workouts I could increase weights on for the 2nd time through, so my second sets were heavier than my first.

Now, a question (2, really)....we are going for close-to-failure, right? I was using 15s on the biceps, but could have pumped out a few more (even if it would have been just 2 or 3 more with good form), so should I use heavier? The last 2 should be hard, really hard, but with good form, right? I just want to make sure I understand. It seems so wierd, after doing so much Cathe weight work, that I am picking up 15s and 20 to START AND FINISH with, as opposed to all the endurance work and maybe having to go lighter. Scares me a bit, but it's proven to work, right? LOL

Other question....pull ups. Assisted. How, where, what do you use? I'm going to use my high step placed on several risers. Do I place it directly under my body? I can not even do a pull up with out using my legs A LOT! Tell me they do get easier! lol

Gayle

Doubles/phase2/week 4 (recovery)/day4

Don't have much time, but I'm interested to see what kinds of answers Gayle gets to her pull up and "work to exhaustion" questions. As for my answer on the pullups - I don't have very high doorways, so I bought a pull up bar from a website somewhere on the net (couldn't find one at Walmart or Dick's - both the salespeople in those stores looked at me like I just walked out of a gym in the 70s - "pull ups?!?! so retro!"), mounted it in my very low doorway, and I use my high step (I have the Firm boxes) for assist. I have to admit, I can't even do one unassisted. I think part of it is weakness and part is me being a scaredy cat. Anywho, if I were to do a pull up unassisted, I would HAVE TO bend my knees. Even then, I'm almost touching the floor. The only pull ups I do with the band are the switch grip. That's just too much for me on the bar.

Tonight is Stretch X. Soooo excited. Finally, a break. I find my left hamstring is REALLY tight from these workouts. Anyone else find that they're experiencing muscle tightness in areas they normally don't?

Sorry for any spelling errors. Everyone have a fabulous day and I'll be reading!

Oh, and just thought I'd mention that I am using some subs for the P90X supplments/bars, etc. Using Sandra's (I think) recommendation and comparing the numbers from the nutritional info on the P90X recovery drink and bars, I went grocery shopping in the health food section. I ended up with the Harvest Bars as recommended, but for the drink, I compared the Boost to EAS' brand of AdvantEdge drinks and I bought EAS shakes. It's 11 ounces, so it's close in size to Po0X's 12 ounce drink, and the numbers are VERY VERY close. I got them on sale also, so that made me happier. Just thought I'd mention it since I was the one asking about it the other day!

Gayle

Quick post w/o check in:

I was very disappointed with my energy level for PlyoX, only finished half! But I'm not discouraged. It's interesting how I was able to do PlyoX in its entirety when I was trialing the Lean Rotation (Core Synergistics being the w/o 24 hours before)and feeling wiped after doing Chest/Back/ARX the day before. My quads were actually sore....? from ARX?

Anyway, I am very focused on fat burning and am thinking hard how I can best modify Classic while working out together with Hubby. I am going to focus on 12-15 reps for weight work. I am thinking of switching Kenpo and Yoga days so that I have more time on Sunday to do the Yoga.

I am going to TRY to do a post Legs/Back run on Saturday and stay with clean eating all the way. By the way, I returned to my weekly WW meeting today after 3 weeks hiatus and was up 5lbs! Next year my goal is to work right through these holidays instead of excusing myself. Kudos to all of you Xers who kept bringing it! Bet you feel better than me right now!

X

Hi to all!

CL/Ph 3/Wk 1/ Day 3

Just finished Sh & Arms after not doing it at all in Phase 2.... OMG! I am JAZZED!!!
Increased Weights for Shoulders by 3#s, Biceps by 5#s, Triceps by 4#s I really am in disbelief at the gains! I am soaring high as a kite as shoulders & triceps have always been fairly weak for me. All of you in phase 1 & 2 STAY WITH IT! There really is "magic" in the increase in weights you will be able to lift in Phase 3.

TRACY: Hope you too find great gains!

GAYLE: Thanks for additional ideas on BB subs! YES on form ?...Go to failure for last 2-3 reps BUT never sacrifice form... Its ok to pause & drop/increase wt load part way thru exercises too. I use band for pull ups so I'll let the pull up queesn answer that one!

DEB: I do Abs on cardio days as well OR I do them in evening of my wt days... I found my form greatly improved by doing it too!

LAURIE: Hope you loved the bulge in biceps after todays workout! Some of us were even measuring the bulge! lolol

X: Glad you arent discouraged about PLYO X... Usually week 3 of each phase I fade out and cannot complete all reps.. I guess my body is just really ready for a recovery week then. It truely is challenging! On switching Kenpo/Yoga days... Probably fine I personally feel Kenpo in my Shoulders and back quite a bit so I wouldnt do it after a shoulder or back workout but try it & see how it feels.... Also on YOGA X...it is long for sure. I split it into 2 46 segments (my attention span is aweful!) Those 5#s will come off...its all water under the bridge- its a new year and a new you! You are the BEST for providing that link to making of P90X... What a gem that is! I was all excited AGAIN after spending close to an hour on the site! Thanks!!!!!!

LEA: 20#s on shoulders is AWESOME! You are officially a P90X star!!!! We're in home stretch girl!!!

JEANETTE: lolol on the poundage on bowflex! How great you know you can lift heavier tho! Hope the photo shoot goes well! I so understand about the bloat! My next round I'm timing measurement week with my Skinny/Lean 10 days of the month!!!

MONICA: So happy you are getting more out of KenpoX... Core engaged is really a key for me as well. LOL are you able to move any better this afternoon?

DEBRA: So happy to see you pop in! I am very happy you are spending every moment you can w/ DH. When is he scheduled to go back to Russia?

DB: My hammys are always tight too... I do find that the more Yoga/Stretch X I do the better they are getting tho. I also try and throw in at least 1 cathe stretch max each week in evening just before bed. Seems to help.

Off to start some fabulously healthy dinner!
:7

CL/PH2/Wk1/Day3 (I love being able to write Phase 2!)

Hi all,

Wow, this board is too busy to even attempt personals for all! It's nice to see the renewed enthusiasm for fitness.

Today I did Back & Biceps for the first time, and ARX. I gotta say, I really like BB! It works you quite hard and thorougly, doesn't it?

Does anyone else get rock-hard forearms during the P90X workouts that focus on biceps and from pull ups? At one point today I thought my forearms were going to explode. I had to take an extra long break just to let them relax a little. But when I was done the workout I still couldn't put my palms flat on the floor to support myself during the ARX In-and-Outs. I cracked myself up because due to the severe pump in my forearms, I actually did the In-and-Outs with my arms straight in the air. I never would have attempted that, if not for my arm situation. Too funny. Nice to see improvement with ARX! I actually did extremely well with that one today. Must be because I didn't wear out my core doing push ups and leg work. Who knows. Maybe just a good day.

Traci - oh my goodness you made me laugh y-day when you said you did a Cathe workout just so you could put a sticker on your calendar!!! I am so with you on that one! I ordered my calendar late, so it hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered extra stickers and you can bet your booties I'll be doing something just so I can use one. Or two. Or maybe three...You said you have a problem with getting your butt out of the air during SL push ups. How are you at doing straight-legged, straight-arm planks? I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you frequently throw in a plank or two at the end of your workouts. I think it's the Slow and Heavy Series that has a rather long plank section - but they're not the super hard kind that has you lifting a leg off the ground. Planks are an awesome, awesome way to strengthen the entire body. I was perturbed by the lack of planks in the first three weeks of P90X; was very happy to see them in Core Syn. What's with the lazy sleep-in this morning? ;) Are you coming down with something?

Tracy - ooooh, I'm sorry your back is causing you such grief. But at least you're listening to it, and taking good care of yourself. I'm impressed that you could still do so well at ARX. You're amazing!

Gayle - I did laugh at you yesterday; but I was laughing WITH you :) Like I said, we ALL said that about PlyoX the first time. I think it's Tony's private joke on us all. I did PlyoX y-day too, for the 4th time. My whole lower body was stiff from that this morning. My understanding is that the last three reps should be HARD, but that you should be able to maintain your form. If you feel like you have to "cheat" to get out another rep, then you're done. But if you're feeling like you can do another 2 or 3 with good form, then you should either increase your weight, or do the extra reps. Keep going until you can't go anymore. By the time you get through Week 2, you'll have a better sense of what that feels like. You're right - it is an adjustment from Cathe's approach. There's a number of ways to do assisted pull ups. I'm using my high step with all my risers (8) set out about 2 feet in front of me. Long enough that I can put my heels on it and have my legs straight. I'm still working on doing one unassisted pull up, but I honestly don't even worry about it anymore. For me, the point of doing pull/chin ups at all is to work my back, and I know I do that very well with my feet assisting me. The women on the Chinners Check In gave me a terrific link on how to progress to unassisted pull ups. Check it out:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=51 I'm glad you found some supplements that work for you! The HB are pretty good, aren't they? Believe it or not, I've actually stopped using the supplements, as of this week. The Sports Nutrition book I read over the weekend basically said that real food works just as well. She's not negative about the bars and drinks; just says it's less costly to use real food (but gives the bars and drinks kudos for being convenient).

Deb - I find the scissors in ARX to be the easiest, too. I often wonder if I'm really doing it right, but I appear to be. Maybe it's because I have very flexible hamstrings? Are yours really flexible, too?

Laurie - ooooh, the dreaded bug! High-five on doing PlyoX. That should have sent those bugs running for cover.

X - thanks for all that great P90X trivia!! I'm going to go snoop around and see what you're talking about. I wish Tony had kept the jump-roping in. I did it quite a bit in one of Cathe's rotations, and just loved it. It's quick and dirty cardio. Your poor body is going to spend the next 12 weeks in that land of confusion. Nice to see you back at it! ARX hits my quads quite well. I always feel it in the hip flexors and down to the knees. In case you haven't done YogaX yet, I thought I'd let you know that I always feel that one in the glutes and hamstrings really strongly. I don't know if that will influence your decision to swap it with Kenpo or not. I'm glad you're not discouraged about PlyoX. You have 11 more weeks in which you will definitely see improvement.

Lea - I am buoyed to hear how well IMAX3 went for you yesterday. Please remind me - have you been doing additional cardio during the first two phases? Super-dooper news on the strength gains! You Phase-three-ers are so motivating for us farther behind you! I'm feeling a THOUSAND times better today, thank you for asking. Man, sugar-overload is really as bad as an alcohol hangover.

Jeanette - "legends in their own minds" LMAO! That's hilarious. So, you're stronger than you thought, hey? 60lbs! I hope your photos show the improvements you've made! BTW, I looked at your pics a while ago, and was quite impressed with your starting point. If you've improved on that, then you will be looking quite awesome!

Monica - By the end of the "recovery week" I was chomping at the bit to get on to the second phase. But frankly, I think that's what they want to have happen. Try and be patient. Your body needs the rest. I'm impressed with the DOMS in the core! I didn't get that from CoreSyn last week (got stiffness, just not outright DOMS). You must have really "brought it."

Debra - so glad you're having a great time with DH around. When does he leave again? Or does he? Is he home permanently now? Step Blast! I'm so jealous! That's my favourite Cathe cardio, hands down. It's always my go-to workout when I just can't face anything else.

DB - my understanding is that doing pull-ups with knees bent is easier than with straight legs, so perhaps it's good that you have a low bar? I also have to bend my knees a bit if I'm going to keep my feet off the floor. But, since I usually have one or two feet on my high step the whole time, it doesn't matter at this point.

Have a great day!
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.