Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Check-ins & Challenges

Check-ins & Challenges We've created this brand new forums to post all of your Cathe and fitness related check-ins and challenges

X'ers 1-15 Monday

This is a discussion on X'ers 1-15 Monday within the Check-ins & Challenges forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi Gayle and Traci, Traci you always have such good logical advice, and I agree with what she suggested. Gayle, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Cathlete

Default RE: X'ers 1-15 Monday

Hi Gayle and Traci,

Traci you always have such good logical advice, and I agree with what she suggested. Gayle, I'm sort of like you but a little different. I was getting great results from my lower body workouts, but my upper was at a standstill (I've been doing Cathe and running cycling etc.) So I've done the p90x rotation exactly, but added extra weight work for my legs 2x per week and then some running, cycling and step. I've seen great results with my legs too. I must say though that to get the maximum results for the upper body I think that you have to do the rotation as written. It secretly targets the upper body and core even when you think it's not adding on just extra little benefits. JMO. But in the end, I believe that it's all about what works for you and you have to be mentally happy or it is not worth it.

Tracy

Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Cathlete

Hi Xers!

Classic Hybrid/Ph1/Wk2/Day7

Tues- Chest and Back / Body Max2 Step premix + Ab RipperX
Wed- Cathe Friedrch's Hardcore Extreme #3
Thurs- Shoulders and Arms / Turbo Jam 20 + Ab Ripper X
Fri- Cathe Friedrich's Kick, Punch, Crunch
Sat- Legs and Back + Ab Ripper X
Sun- LIC cardo premix + BM2 Bonus Combo
Mon- Rest or X Stretch

Today concludes my second week of 12. It's a much needed rest and/or stretch day. I have realized that a stretch routine has been the missing link for me! I have never devoted any time in my previous routines for stretching. I am appalled at how tight I am in my neck and hamstrings.

Frog Stretch???? Hello! Sorry, can't do this with any respectable flexibility!

On to week #3. I am feeling great, still sore all over but great. Eating took a nose dive Sat. and Sunday. I'm able to eat clean until evening and then I had some wine both nights. Last night was a Patriots football party. Oh well, back to discipline and planning today.

I'm going to spen some time reading this weekend's thread and be back for personals!!

X
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Cathlete
Netta's Profile Fields

Good morning fellow Xers!

Classic/Phase 2/Week 3/Day 1

Today is Martin Luther King holiday so I'm home. DH went out to breakfast with a buddy so I'm waiting to see if he wants to join in on CST with me today. It's a beautiful, clear morning, though cold. Would like to get out for a walk with DH and the dogs later in the day. It'll cap off this nice 4-day weekend for me just right.

I'll check back later after the workout (with him or without).

Jeanette

Jeanette
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Cathlete
teddy16410's Profile Fields

Hey Gang just posting a boring report on my overall improvements w/ Chest & Back as today was my last time doing this workout. Feel Free to NOT read...lol I am VERY happy with end result of strength. I pushed beyond alot of mental garbage regarding push ups for sure. I am very excited to see the Week 1 to Week 11 comparison. Majority of gains happened in Phase 3.
I'm a tracker so I like seeing my start to finish progress and I also need the motivation to do Classic exactly as outlined the next two weeks.
***The numbers are for both rounds
All Pull Ups/Chinups (I use band over door so just trust me that I improved in strength by moving further back & using heavier bands!
;-) )

Standard Pushups:
Week 1: 0 toes/ 44 Knees
Week 11: 22 toes 20 knees

Military Pushups:
Week 1: 0 toes / 43 knees
Week 11: 21 toes / 11 knees

Wide Fly Pushups:
Week 1: 8 toes /25 knees
Week 11: 26 toes / 11 knees

Decline Pushups:
Week 1: 0 toes / 15 knees
Week 11: 15 toes / 9 knees

Heavy Pants:
Week 1: 23 with 12's
Week 11: 18 with 20's

Diamond Pushups:
Week 1: 0 toes / 16 knees
Week 11: 22 toes / 8 knees

LawnMowers:
Week 1: 32 with 12's
Week 11: 24 with 20's

DiveBomber PushUps:
Week 1: 8 very sad looking
Week 11: 15 very low & pretty

Back Flys:
Week 1: 25 with 12's
Week 11: 19 with 15's

Rumi
Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Cathlete

Hi,

X- You should be stretching. The older I get the more important stretching becomes to keep down DOMS and maintain overall flexibility. Yoga works for me because I feel so good afterwards. Have you tried Brian Kest of Shiva Rae? IMO yoga x is not a good example of real yoga (sorry to bash Tony), but it does get the job done. I think that I get more done in less time with Kest.

Jeaneatte - I'm going for a walk too, later. Thought about a run, but after b&g leg blast premix yesterday, the run might not go too good.

Traci - Your stats are really impressive! I must say that I started out doing way more pushups than you did on my toes and I haven't made that much improvement. My diamond pushups still stink and I can't go very low on my toes. Aren't you kind of sad, last time doing that workout for this round? The time has really flown by.

Tracy
Old 01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Cathlete

Hi to all..I don't have a lot of time to post...so ,I'll have to bbl with personals...Let's see...I did Imax2 yesterday and my low back was fine...did notice the bruise on my butt-ocks was sore when I was jumping LOL!!! But finished respectfully since I hadn't done it in a while! I taught at my DD's school today...she goes to a Montessori school and her class has 3,4,5 year olds + kindergartners..had more fun than I expected since the class was small today for the holiday and I am actually home earlier than expected....which is a good thing because I slept awfully last night due the the cold I am catching and multiple trots to the potty during the night...Something I ate I guess!!! Probably more info then anyone wanted...so I am off to lay down for a bit before my DD's ballet class this afternoon...Then hopefully this evening I will get to Back and Bis which is on the agenda for today.

Hope all is well with everyone...I only had a chance to skim above...but will be back this evening!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Cathlete
Netta's Profile Fields

Good afternoon again ladies!

Classic/Phase 2/Week 3/Day 1

Today was CST. Good workout, though I am a little sore still from KenpoX I'm guessing, in the upper body. Felt more burn in a lot of the exercises today but about 1/2 way thru, started to feel better and stronger. Again, I went up in just about everything. I even got brave and attempted the one armed pushups on my toes and did 15 very shallow one armed pushups on my toes, then dropped to my knees and 9 more. I was shocked I could do these. I'm liking what my upper body is looking like. My shoulders from the front view are rounding out nicely. Have AbX to do tonite. DH came back, but had his buddy with him and so he didn't work out this morning. Will help him tonite on his workout. He's definitely not as motivated as I am, but that won't get in my way. I also refuse to nag him to work out.

Traci, glad you had an awesome time at the bay. Nice to leave, but also nice to get back home too. Way to go on your Chest and Back workout results. I love the whole concept of writing down the reps/weights. This is a must, isn't it, to stretching ourselves to do better. Yep, I was sad it was too cold for the group ride, but got out later. I love cycling. I actually listened to Cardio Coach #6 (Candace). I didn't do it though. It sounds pretty tough. I think one of my new challenges will be to be able to do all of the CC's. I've done up to #4 and it was a doozy for me. #5 and both 6's are long ones and have you working a lot at the higher levels for longer periods of time with little recovery. Tough, tough, but effective for performance.

Tracy, Butts & Guts is a good one. I too will incorporate this one after P90X. I'm sure interested in the rotations you guys come up with afterwards. I don't think I can do choreographed weight lifting anymore if going for strength gains. Wouldn't it be interesting if Cathe did a workout where you pick your own reps and speeds and just work out to the music? She could still give form tips, but also give time to write down our weights and reps.

Laurie, enjoy CST today. Glad your FIL is okay. That must have been scary!

Gayle, sorry that your motivation is waning for the X. Sounds like you've been doing great with Cathe and getting good results. A lot of us that are doing P90X now are doing it because we had plateaued with her workouts, or were overtraining to try to get results. We've learned a lot along the way and hopefully will be using her workouts, but maybe in a different way now to avoid the plateau again. I say do what works and what you enjoy. The upper work is awesome in the X. I'm getting great results, but not so much for my lower half so will change things up on the next rotation. I'll be patient and do it the next time.

Lea, hope you had a nice time with your IL's. You are close to the end on this rotation too. Great to see the improvement on Chest & Back. I can't wait to get to that one in a couple of weeks. Wahoo! Next week is my rest week!!! Then Phase 3! Military pushups are hard for me too. Plange pushups today were hard. I do them on my knees. So many times I feel the exercises in my shoulders more when my arms are close together.

X- you're reminding me that I didn't stretch yesterday and I think that would have helped with the stiffness I felt this morning for CST.
Frog stretch is tough for me too. I kind of flop a lot getting out of it. I'm back to discipline in my eating today. Really went off it on Saturday with GS's birthday party and yesterday had popcorn and trout that my DS had smoked. Plays havoc with my water retention.

Traci, nice improvements on C&B! You are exactly right about the mental garbage to push thru. I'm glad I tried the one armed pushups, even though they were pathetic. I have to train myself not to be defeated before I even try something.

Debra, glad the teaching went better than expected. Sorry you weren't feeling well last night. What did you eat that caused it? Hey, bring it good on B&B today!!!

Must go now,

Jeanette

Jeanette
Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Cathlete

CL/PH2/WK3/Day1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps; Ab Ripper X

Hi!

Okay, I woke up this morning and realized that the honeymoon is over with Tony. I NEED MY CATHE STEADY STATE CARDIO!!!! I am in full PMS power mode, and I have more energy than I can stand. I start to feel like a caged animal. And I do so miss Cathe's fun cardio. Tony has no steady state cardio, and I need that for stress release. I find his workouts are stress-inducing, which I think is what he intended. But I can't do that kind of workout for 90 days straight, without balancing it with some nice heart pumping cardio. All this rambling to say that today I prefaced Ch-Sh-Tri-ARX with the warm up and step combos of BodyMax2. OMG it felt delicious. Just loved it; had a blast. Wish I could have done the whole workout. I kept the step at 6" because I only wanted a nice sweat to loosen me up and calm me down for the weight work. I've never liked Tony's warms ups. They don't seem to actually warm me up very well. And they come off as rather haphazard, IMO. So, this was the perfect solution. I got my Cathe/SS fun cardio fix, got to skip Tony's warm up, and did my P90X scheduled workout. Ch-Sh-Tri went pretty good, too. I went up in weight in some spots, but also noticed that this fatigued me more for some of the other stuff, so my push up reps decreased in spots too. I'm not concerned about that. I worked my muscles to fatigue, focused hard on proper form, and can feel a big pump in all the right muscles, so I think it's all good.

I'm going to continue to add 30 min Cathe cardios two or three times a week. Probably before the weight workouts. I'm thinking of subbing IMAX2 for PlyoX tomorrow, because I need a break from that. And I think IMAX2 gives an overall better workout, with lots of plyo moves. I guess I'm going to take an approach similar to X: stick with the P90X weight work, because they're golden, but be less stringent on the P90X cardio, because Cathe really out-does Tony in this regard. Just MO.

Traci - Taxes?! You've started your TAXES?? Don't you know it's only JANUARY?! Who's the accountant on this check in? She's gonna LOVE you! I can't believe you're only 2 weeks from the end. You've done a super job with sticking with it. I might check out that WBWW book. I think I've seen it in the bookstore before. Thanks! And how sweetly *aggravating* was that kiss LOL!! It's not like you can get mad at him for that - as much as you may want to! I want some of that Texas Tart! By any chance is that the name of your basketball cheerleading squad? You have made phenomenal gains in your chest and back work! Those stats are very inspiring! What is your P90X goal? Where do you go from here?

Tracy - Thanks for the PMS vitamin/supplement suggestions. What do you think about subbing IMAX2 for PlyoX? Do you think I'm sacrificing anything by doing that? I'll do PlyoX tomorrow if that's the case. But if not, then I think the change would be refreshing. I love Butts & Guts, but like you, I also hate floorwork. That's a bonus of P90X in my book: no floor work! I've always wondered what its purpose is. It's physically impossible to "spot reduce", and I seem to manage to live quite a full life without needing to lie down on my side and lift my leg 50 times with extra weight on it (maybe if I was a male dog with a large territory I would appreciate this stamina...).

So here's the question to everyone: floorwork!! What is it good for?!

Laurie - How terrifying was your FIL's fall! Glad he's okay, and you all had a great trip.

Gayle - I was wondering what happened to you. Nice to see you today! That's ambivalent news about your son, isn't it? I hope it gets sorted in a way that is best for him and for you. Your weekend sounds luxurious, IMO. I used to read thick novels within a couple of days, way back when I could shut everyone out. I love a good novel. I'm always sad when I come to the end, because it means I no longer have the joy of reading that book for the first time again. About your P90X dilemma. First off, I'm curious why you are doing P90X in the first place, when it sounds like your Cathe/running combination works so well for you? If you have a specific reason for wanting to do the entire P90X rotation, then I would suggest you tweak it to suit your needs. Need more Cathe or running? Sub some of the cardio. That kind of thing. BTW, during the middle portion of ANYTHING is the toughest time to stick to something because the novelty has worn off, there's a familiarity that makes you dread certain elements, and you're far enough from the end that it seems like you're going to be doing this "forever". In P90X they continuously tell us to just "keep pushing play". I take that to mean: even when you're not feeling motivated about doing the workouts, just start them anyway. That's the only way you're going to get to the end. But of course, doing P90X is a completely voluntary program. If you're truly unhappy, and have no good reason to stay with it, then do what makes you happy......Oh, hey, I see you and Traci already had this conversation. Well, I spent time typing all this, and I'm not deleting it LOL!!! Yes, please keep checking in with us.

Lea - NICE progress on the push ups!!! And don't feel pressured to go back to all those days if you don't have time. Just pick up where we are. You might be reading and writing for days, otherwise LOL! If I wasn't already writing a tome here, I would do a quick synopsis for you. But my carpal tunnel is starting to quack. Is it a surprise to anyone that I have CTS? :P If we were "live", I'd have Carpal Tongue Syndrome LOL!!

X - funny, we were both thinking along the same lines today: BM2 cardio with our upper body workouts. I find frog stretch uncomfortable, too. I have seen improvement, though. Stick with it! (I know you will). I didn't do XStretch yesterday and really missed it. I am going to try to do it tomorrow. Stretching is so effective.

Jeanette - you have a nice day planned. Enjoy!

Debra - Ooh, a bad night is a terrible thing. And you must have been rather worried about how your day would go as a result. How nice that it went so well! I chaperoned my DD's kindergarten class last spring on a trip that turned into every parent's nightmare. It was awful. The funny thing was, DD thought it all went spectacular! I mean, it was so bad the kids didn't even get to their planned destination LOL! But because Mommy was chaperoning, my DD could have cared less. She told me it was the best field trip ever :+

Well, have a good day everyone,
Sandra

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Cathlete

Jeanette - we posted at the same time. That is AMAZING that you did those one-armed push ups!! Woohoo!! I'm also not seeing the results in the lower body that others have mentioned. I think Cathe (and stepping in particular) tones my booty best. Is cycling good for the butt? I would think so?

Cheers,
Sandra

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Cathlete
Netta's Profile Fields

Sandra, is cycling good for the butt? Yes it is. I know those muscles are down there somewheres. Just got to get the fat off of them. It's butt glue and doesn't want to budge. Think I put it on in the 6th grade and it's like country music, here to stay LOL! Actually, my legs are probably a bit more toned and a bit smaller now with P90X than while doing all of the heavy squats and such. Think the best they looked was the short time I did a Slim Series rotation. Think the DVD is called Firm It Up that really works the lower body. It was a killer. I think probably, freestyle works best for my legs for slimming. I tend to push a pretty big gear when I cycle so I think I get bigger legs than others, plus they are short muscles too so the look isn't elegant at all, nor will I believe it ever will be. I just want to get rid of the jiggle on top. If riding a hundred miles doesn't slim them up, I don't know what will. But I still love cycling anyways.

Jeanette

Jeanette