Workout Warriors Wounded and Otherwise May 10 to 17

lightening16

Cathlete
Hey Everyone

I just wanted to get us started! I didn't make the cut but I had a great workout and a great time. My muscles are pretty sore today so I think that I am going to just do a run and then something short!
Hope everyone is well and I will get back to you later with my details!
Heather

Hey Everyone
Hopefully the weekend didn't swallow you guys up hole! Happy Mother's day to the mom's in the group and MJ - I hope that you had a great day!
I tried to split up my workouts today so this morning I went for a 30 min run at a fast SS pace. Then I worked for a couple hours and then did a circuit of kettlebell swings and 100 skips and a strength exercise. It was about 30min as well. So hopefully that will burn off some of the damage that occurred on the weekend!

Talk to you all soon
Heather

Great title Heather. :p I'm glad you went to the tryout and it sounds like it was a fun experience and left you sore as a mini momento, too. ;)

I did yoga this morning. Honestly, I think I'm just going to do a week of yoga/stretching. Thankfully, my calf doesn't seem to be nearly in as bad of shape as the other one was. I'm the same number of days out today, as I was when I went to my doctor for the other one and I can easily go up on my toes, which is something I couldn't even begin to do with the other one. I think this one falls more under the heading of pull/strain type of injury. I can walk, but I'm not doing anything beyond that this week and I'll see how it feels next week. DH gets paid this week, so I'm going to get that bike helmet I need and if it's feeling more normal, I'll try and get some riding in next week. Unless it's really cold, since it's light so early, I can get in at least a 4-6 mile ride before he goes to work. Two years ago when I was riding I'd do about a 20 mile ride every Sunday morning and I'd like to get back to doing that again.

Hope everyone else is feeling healthy!

Hey Wounded Warriors!

Too funny Heather!

I know I say this on a regular basis, but really, where does the time go?

Saturday I was going to do my scheduled leg workout, but I opted to do a heavy duty house cleaning project instead. Sunday I ran 6.6 miles with the local running club, which I joined. It was a good run, but towards the last half mile, after a down hill section, my glute/hamstring seized up, I was able to finish running though. Today, I did my Saturday leg workout. This week is hypertrophy splits, I am doing Gym Styles. After Gym Style legs I did an hour of Power Yoga with Rodney Yee. Yoga is where it's at. My new goal/incentive/reward is to do yoga everyday - seriously - for six weeks. Maybe that will keep the injuries at bay. :eek:

Tomorrow - Gym styles Back, Shoulders, Biceps.

Cathy - so sorry your left calf decided to give you a rest week. Better safe than sorry. Cross training is always a good idea, may bike riding be just what your left calf was asking for, that and lots of yoga.

Heather - bummer you didn't make the cut, you are so gosh darn cute, I am surprised he didn't put you in front and center! I'm glad you had fun though and learned a lot along the way. Your workout today sounded fun and effective. I would still love to see the tornado pic, have you been able to down load it? Get this - it snowed this morning! It didn't stick, but c'mon, it's May 10th!

MJ - Tennis? Rollerblading? Driving your spiffy new car? Walking on the beach? Watching tennis on tv? All of the above ? :D

Tara - I hope you had a lovely mother's day with your daughter and enjoyed some much deserved down time.:)

Some more yoga this morning. I was going to do some Sun Salutations, but lunges are apparently not on my list of possibles right now. :( I did quite a bit of walking yesterday in bits at a time. A couple laps around the yard, and I got put in charge of the scoreboard last night which meant walking from the first baseline to the third to put it up. We only really played 4 1/2 innings though because we mercied them and I didn't start until the second so not many trips. In the future though, I'm just going to go into the concession stand and get the numbers and do it myself. It's really hard to keep track of the score, especially when chatting :eek: and it saves me from bugging DH who is keeping score.

Janis I remember reading from before that biking is good rehab for calf injuries. I'm hoping that's true! That's great that you joined the running club! How often do they run together?

Heather are your muscles recovered from the weekend?

MJ & Tara I hope you are enjoying yourselves!

Rainy day here. When the weather prediction is 100% chance of rain, you know you're getting rain because they hardly EVER do that.

Hey Everyone

I think that I need a rest day tomorrow!! I couldn't get up this morning which is not like me and I am feeling sore and tired... The workout on the weekend was killer hard and am still sore and I have not taken it easy since then.
This morning I just did an intense circuit of 30 sec work, 10 sec rest for 6 rounds of: one legged touch and jump, each leg, then half burpees with push-up, 10 high knees and then drop to ground, reverse crunches with lift, side step ups onto chair and pull-ups. 32 min of work total. I was supposed to do ninja tuck jumps but when I got on my knees to jump up onto my feet my body was totally bewildered and did not know what to do.

Cathy - Sounds like you are doing the right thing and keeping things low key for this week. Hopefully the recovery time will be shorter for you seeing as it is not as injured. This may sound crazy but I have been doing my kettlebell workouts without shoes and doing some of my circuits (including jump rope) without shoes and it feels like things are strengthening... who knows! Hope you get to go biking. Today is just windy and yucky, looks like rain is on it's way.

Janis - That's great that you joined the running club but sucks about your knee. It snowed here all day on Sunday. We actually had accumulation on the ground and when we drove to DH's mom's it was like a blizzard! Crazy weather. Have you done Insanity lately? I am trying to convince myself that I need to do it again but I am having some dread and some concern over the potential for injury....

Tara and MJ - Hope you are doing well!1!!!!!!!

Off to clean the house (youngest is home today) and maybe some yoga tonight... maybe CC tomorrow??? or just nothing!

Heather

Good Morning Everyone

So I didn't do yoga last night and this morning I didn't rest... but I did a "lighter" workout. I did 6min Reverse lunges with kick, 5 min pull-up/ Close push-up, 6 min Prisoner Squats and then 5 min Turkish Get-ups and 2 min bicycle abs. We think we have the treadmill fixed so I might do a shorter CC workout later today just for fun... or if the sun comes out I will maybe do an outside Bootcamp circuit like the one that Cathe has on her You Tube vid's. It's pretty yucky here today but the sun is supposed to come out later.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Talk to you soon
Heather

I did a bit more yoga this morning. No rain today, but still very dreary. Nicholas' scrimmage for tonight is canceled because the field is still too wet and no sun to help dry it off. I'm just hoping it does dry up before the weekend. We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow before the nice weather arrives on Friday.

I really need a good dose of sunshine to pep me up!

Heather I'm really not sure I want to know but what the heck are Turkish get-ups?

Enjoy your day everyone!!

Hi Wounded Warriors

I went for a run today. I found a great trail to run a steady state. It is a 1.7 mile loop, so I ran it 3x. For some inexplicable reason my left calf cramped up. CATHY! are you doing voodoo up there in the Michigan woods? :p:D:p In the year and a half I have been running and doing Cathe workouts, I have never experienced a cramp.

I wonder if I was slightly dehydrated?

Any way, it was a really pleasant run and there was another runner out there, we crossed paths twice for every loop. We were grinning and laughing every time we saw each other.

Afterward I took my yoga things to a sunny, thorn and weed free spot, and did about a 1/2 hour of yoga. Ahhhh. Felt great. Still have the calf cramp though.

Heather - Insanity is fun, and given the workouts you have been doing, I doubt you would get injured. Cathe has youtube workouts? Did I read that right? OK - listen up - TAKE A REST DAY!

Cathy - Between your calf and the weather, I am sorry to hear you are needing a lift. :D:D:D:D Turkish Get-ups would be too hard to explain. Here is a youtube link. (shhh - I think I have a crush on this guy - Steve Cotter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRBvom4Zrw

Tomorrow is Gym Styles Back and Biceps (I did CST yesterday - my tri's are crying today.)

Have a good one,

Hey Everyone

This morning I am actually taking a rest!!! In the middle of the week! Anyways, I think that my body is happy that I am taking it easy today. Thanks for the extra push Janis! Yesterday, I did a CC run in the afternoon for 27 min and I did not feel my usual energy rush afterwards so I knew it was time!

Janis - I read on the VF forum that Steve Cotter DVD's are on sale for 50% off at groundfighter.com using the coupon code FIFTY at checkout. Which workouts of his do you have? I am not sure that I will buy anything else right now as I need to get the 12Kg kettlebell and that will be costly. How I get myself into needing more workout things seems a little crazy. My DH says well at least you use them! So maybe you need to give your legs a break for a little bit so that they can get better???? It seems like you are on the brink of an injury voodoo or no voodoo. Hope you knee and ankle feel better today!

Cathy - Hope you are enjoying your yoga time and not pine-ing for STS. Have you got your bike ride in? It has been incredibly windy here for the past few days which is never fun for bike riding!

MJ and Tara - Hope you haven't fallen in a hole!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Enjoy your rest day Heather! I'm actually enjoying my rest break and hoping that I don't come to enjoy it too much! No biking yet. Still have to get the helmet and it's just too wet and cold. Been in the 40's and cloudy, rainy for days now. Plus I'm not sure my calf is up to it yet. I did do a few rounds of Sun Salutations minus the down dog this morning. I also did 5 calf raises with no pain. Still felt it a bit when that leg was the back leg in lunges.

We've had storms moving through since early morning and more coming and I'm playing musical animals. Though thankfully they've all stayed put for a few hours. I have to sneak the cats in and out of the bedrooms while the dog is distracted and it's much worse on rainy days. Especially early morning when the boys are still sleeping. Dog wants to bark and I have to put the cats in their room.

Then during a break in the rain Sparty went out in the backyard and came back with his paws, especially the front ones, covered in mud. So, I decided to give him a bath. He loves being out in the rain, so baths shouldn't be a problems, right. Wrong! :rolleyes: Apparently, they are not high on his list of things to do. I managed to get him into the tub and to spray down his feet and get the mud out. No shampoo because I had to hold him with one hand to keep him from escaping and I only did his feet, but at least I got rid of the mud. If he goes out again, he'll be confined to his kennel, where hopefully he can find minimal dirt!

Oh, and since he woke me up about 5:15 throwing up - never did find it as dogs tend to be self-cleaners. :eek: Then the cat chorus started and I never got back to sleep. So, I'm planning to nap and maybe a hot bath this afternoon. Other than doing the dishes, I did the rest of the minimal house stuff and I'm off duty after the boys afternoon school stuff.

Hi Warriors (wounded or otherwise) ;)

I'm still buried at work! I been so busy that I haven't even visited the website in over a week! I hope all of you are well; sad to say, I haven't read all the posts, but the title of our thread implies some hinderance in working out lately? I hope it's nothing to serious and healing is underway. :)

I also wanted to pop in & say that I passed my fitness test today! Yippee!!!! I did 40 push-ups on my toes in 1 minute; 40 full sit-ups in 1 minute and my 1.5 mile run took 16 minutes, 3 seconds. I wasn't too happy with my run time; last year I ran it right over 15 minutes. But it was 45 degrees today & I think the colder temps slowed me down a bit. Last year, I ran in June in 70 degree weather. Anyhoo, I'm glad it's over for another 6 months!

My clinic has a major inspection next week. The last 2 weeks have been crazy with last minute preparations and projects. But by next Friday, it will be over! I plan to resume exercising regularly the week of the 23rd, if not sooner.

I miss you guys! It really seems like my day to day life is missing something when I don't read your posts and chat with you all. I have missed doing my Cathe DVDs too! I downloaded Shock Cardio & look forward to downloading a few other workouts too soon.

I'll try to pop in again over the weekend (if I'm not at work!). :)

Tara

Hey Everyone

This morning I was ready for a workout after yesterdays rest. Funny but yesterday didn't feel all that restful! Anyways, this morning was a kettlebell morning and I did a myomytv workout that was great. 3 rounds of kettlebell strength moves and swings and then a Jump rope tabata at the end. I might do something else at some point today too or just garden. The whole thing was 27 min plus warm up and cool down. It was pretty good, I was dripping even before the jump rope tabata.

Tara it is so good to hear from you. Congrats on passing your test!! Sorry that you work is taking over your life but that does happen sometimes!

Janis - I have watched some of the Steve Cotter you tube videos and his instructions are great. I would love be able to get my body to have the range of motion that he has! How are you kettlebell workouts going?

Cathy - Glad your yoga sessions are getting you through and sorry to hear about the dog barf! Good times! It great that you can do so much already with your calf. You'll be up and going in no time!

MJ - Are you living out of your car again!!!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Tara YAY!! on passing your fitness test!! 40 push-ups in 1 minute. I bow to you. :D

Heather sounds like you got a great workout in today! Hope the sunshine we are having has made it to you, too.

:eek: Me bad. I started a book this morning and grabbed it to read a chapter when I got up and ended up finishing it. So, I'm taking a full break today.

It's finally nice here and we have three whole days with no rain in the forecast! Lots of baseball coming up. Varsity game and Derek's practice today. Nicholas has two games tomorrow and Derek two games on Sunday. I get to push junk food at the concession stand both days. Makes lots of money for the team, but is sure never ceases to amaze me how much crap people will eat.

Janis and MJ - hope you are having great days!

Hi WWW!

Let's see - yesterday I did Gym Styles Back, shoulders, biceps, some light yoga and later in the day B&G.

This morning I was going to run 4 miles and do Ilaria's Powerstrike 5, but my calf cramp returned, so I ran 2 miles and Powerstrike at a moderate level.

Tomorrow I was planning on running with the running club a pre-race 10k on the scheduled route, the actual race is next Sunday, but with my calf cramping - I don't know what I am going to do. The plan is to get hydrated and take my mag/cal supplements, and then see how it goes.

Heather - I have Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Lifting dvd series, which I am making my way through, and I just bought Extreme Lifting. Unfortunately I paid full price for both:(:( , thanks for the coupon code at Groundfighter.com. I have been doing hypertrophy splits this week with Gym Styles; I'll resume KB-ing next week, it's coming up in my rotation, then it's strength splits with Slow&Heavy. Your short tabata workouts sound fun and effective, way to go. How's the treadmill? Are the repairs going to hold?

Cathy - Ahhh, there is nothing like spring weather and baseball. Just as tulips pushing through the snow are a sign that spring is on the way, baseball games in evening's twilight mean summer is on the way. YAY! So, what book were you reading. (Voodoo 101? LOL!)

Tara - I too want to congratulate you on completing and passing your fitness test. EXCELLENT! High fives ^^^ to ya, girl. :D Work sounds brutal.

MJ- Tennis???

Gotta hit the shower
:D

Janis I sure hope that you figure out how to get your calf to stop cramping soon! We all need to get back to full speed!

I was reading "A Promis of Hope" by Amy Clipston. It's the second in her Kauffman Amish Bakery Series.

Time to take the compost out and get the mail. Sunny and warmer it is, but these days that always seems to come with crazy winds.

Hey Everyone

This morning I did my SS run in 30min!! I am very happy with the time and the workout! It was so nice this morning I just couldn't stay in bed. No clouds, NO WIND (It has been crazy windy here too - like Cathy). Just peaceful and serene... and sweaty! Now I am going to do a Bodyrocktv circuit of bodyweight exercises that should be very challenging. 1 min for each exercise with no rest just do as many as you can. It ranges from elevated push-ups, divebomers, pull-ups, squat with kick etc. 20 min total. I have to say that I like these shorter workouts... we'll have to see if they are as effective! So far so good.

Cathy - My over extending has come back to bite me in the butt... we have soccer, karate and baseball today. Last night was the only night last week that didn't have something on and it was SOOOO nice. What have I done!

Janis - The treadmill is fixed... we broke the rest of the blades off as apparently the fans are not that important. That's what the repair guy said when I called. But then again he also SELLs treadmills.... We shall see. Does the Steve Cotter Encylopdia give you ways to put the moves into a workout or does he just show you proper form etc?

Tara - 40 push-ups in one minute is incredible. I'll let you know how many I fit in to my minute today!

MJ - Hope you are doing well!

Heather

Hi Ladies,

Quickly popping in to say that I managed to get in Step Moves today! It felt so-o-o good to be doing Cathe again! I didn't realize how much I've missed it until I did it today. :)

Thanks all for your congrats on my fitness test. I'm still sore from the push-ups & sit-ups!

I'm going to strive to work-out some this week and hope to get back to reading your posts and participating more!

Have a great Sunday,

Tara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.