Workout Warriors Summer Dazed!

lightening16

Cathlete
Hey Everyone
This morning feels like it should be Sunday... We were so busy all weekend that it didn't feel like a weekend. This morning was my light day for RoP and it is working outside day so I need to conserve some energy!!!
WU: usual
WO: Clean and Multiple presses 5 x 3 assisted pull-ups
CO 200 snatches 9.13 sec.
I was going to do 8 min snatches but when I got to 160 and I still had two min left I decided to go for 200 and see if I could do it under 10 min. I guess I could try doing snatches now with the 16kg.... I have also started lowering myself without assistance today with my pull-up!!!

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great day!

I'll be back later!
Heather

Crazy baseball weekend here! Got our game in Friday night and then it rained all night and into the morning. Took half the games and moved them to the town by us and started at 12:30 instead of 8:30. We were originally scheduled for 6:30, got moved to 4:30. Then he realized that the team we were playing was already going to be at the other towns fields playing, so we needed to go there (5 minutes from my house :p ), though the boys and I were at our field as I was helping out. We get there and find out that one of teams playing the first game was late, because by the time they got the call to come, they couldn't drive it fast enough and there was a whole game that had to be played before ours. So, we finally played at 6:30. Sunday started out cloudy, but by mid-morning it was sunny and beautiful. We were there from 7:45 until 8:30! Long, fun day. They didn't make the championship game, but both age groups had really good final games. Now nothing until tryouts the first week of August.

Today I'm cleaning house and preparing to have a meeting here tomorrow. DH still doesn't know about it. ;) He always gets really stressed out when people are coming over because our house isn't perfect. Less he knows the better. And since I didn't have ink to print him off a calendar for this month, I can just do the "Oh, it was on the calendar - BUT you didn't get a copy did you. Oh, well." This is the third year I've had the meeting here, and no one coming expects it to be perfect or even close.

This morning was Disk 16 Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. I actually had to stop a rep early on those triceps done on the stability ball on my left arm. I've always thought my 1RM was just a tad to high on those. I was also totally struggling on the incline chest presses. Barely eeking out my last rep.

Tonight is likely DH's last softball game. First round of the tournament and they never won a game all year, so that means they have to play the first place team.

Hope you are all keeping cool and enjoying your summer. I can't believe it's less than a week till August!

Hi Warriors!

Heather - I laughed at the title you selected for this week's thread, so true. I feel dazed too.

Congrats on your RoP workout and YOUR PULL UP DECENTS! Yay!!!

I looked at the book you mentioned, at Amazon, and tried to reserve it from the library but it is not available from any of the libraries within in the three counties that share services/facilities. Do you think it is worth buying? Both Pilates and yoga have helped a lot, and of course since I have learned my lesson the hard way I will be incorporating a lot more core work in my rotation from now on.

Cathy - Despite challenging weather and unpredictable scheduling your tournament weekend sounded like a lot of fun. Way to go on STS. I was thinking about you this morning, and how even though this is your fourth or fifth round of STS you keep plugging along. I think the tricep push ups on the stability ball are a recipe for injury! Being careful is smart! You could always do them on the high step.

Hi MJ and Tara - I hope you both are happy and well and staying cool.

As for me, my weekend went by too fast....I'm not even sure how all of the time was spent, doing yoga or Pilates, no doubt, and cooking. I STILL have not heard from the orthopedist. I am progressing with my healing and have seen improvements with my range of motion, so next week I plan on beginning the rehab program at myfit.ca . I am thinking I'll start STS Sept 1. If all goes well, I'll try walking first, and then go for a trial run in October.

In other news I am thinking about getting a dog. I am leaning towards a Standard Poodle, they're such smart, highly trainable dogs with great temperaments.

Today I did cleaning projects while my cleaning lady was here, so no exercise. Tomorrow I'll do a round of Pilates, then I am out of town all day.

Keep posting about your workouts, I need to soak up the collective passion and inspiration.

:D

Last edited:
Morning Warriors
This morning I decided to torture myself... either that or I was deceived at how easy this looked on paper. I had written out this workout a while ago and had been waiting for a chance to do it. Originally it didn't have the sprints but I decided to add them to make it more of an endurance workout. It was pretty brutal and I am not sure that my sprints were very sprinty by the end. For the first 3 rounds I rested 30 sec between rounds and then a min after that... there were a few other breaks to catch my breath too

WU: movement prep stretches
WO: 130m sprint, 50 walking lunges, 50 Alternating Swings, 25/25 Bulgarian Split squats on swing, 50 Mountain Climbers (feet in swings), sprint, 40 walking lunges, 40 Alt. Swings, 20/20 Bul. Split Squats, 40 Mountain Climbers, Sprint, 30 .....down to sprint, 10 walking lunges, 10 Alt. Swings, 5/5 Bul. Split Squats, 10 Mountain Climbers, Sprint. 33 min total.
STRETCH!
I had to wait a while to do the workout so it was about 10:30 before I got started so it was not as cool as I had hoped but still doable. I ran barefoot in the grass and I am not sure really how far my sprints were but hey, they felt long enough! Tomorrow I am getting up early to do my workout no question! By last night I think I had a bit of sun stroke after doing all the yard work. But it feels really good to get it all done. With about 5 acres to do the task can be daunting.

Janis - I wouldn't recommend buying the book because they have so much available online. http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/hip-injuries.html If you look for movement prep and pillar or strength exercises they have tonnes of video and stuff about how to do them etc. It would be nice if your doc would get back to you so that you could move forward. With something as serious as what you have gone through, it makes sense to have some guidance from a physio to make sure that you are strengthening what is needed. Glad to hear that you are able to keep up with the yoga and pilates! Good luck on your dog hunt!

Cathy - Hope you get a little baseball reprieve and some relaxing holiday time with the boys. I have found that even though we are off it seems that every day is filled with tonnes of sports activities!

Hello to MJ and Tara

Talk to you soon
Heather

Crazy day. I did get in LIC Timesaver Cardio first thing this morning. My lower back has been bothering me again, so I didn't even try and do abs. :( Then I cleaned house for a couple hours before be descended upon by everyone coming to the meeting. During the meeting my Dad called to tell me my Mom had had her colonoscopy and that things didn't look good (no real definition of what that meant) and that they were going to do a scan and a biopsy and then surgery as soon as possible. So, I may need to go down there for a couple days. She does not handle anything to do with Drs. and hospitals well at all, so she's going to be a wreck. My Dad who is usually pretty calm about things, is pretty upset, so it's going to be a fun week. :confused:

This morning I did the yoga warm-up and then Stretch Max with the ball. My lower back is really tight, so I'm ditching the weights for a bit and doing extra stretching. Today was supposed to be legs and there was just no way. Normally, I can bend forward and put my palms flat on the floor - pretty much anytime I want, but today I was lucky to get even a little beyond level at the waist. :(

My Mom is meeting with the surgeon tomorrow morning. Still waiting on the biopsy results.

Hi Everyone

Cathy - I am so sorry to hear about your mom and your dad's struggles with all of it.

Take care of your back - a rest day or two or three is definitely the way to go. My back is so much better from doing yoga and Pilates...core strength is the answer. I also found useful information in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Fr...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280330408&sr=8-1-spell

Maybe your library can get the book for you.

Here is a (long) youtube video with Esther Gokale, which is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYJ4hEYudE

Heather - I bookmarked Coreperformance, and read all the information posted about hips and recovering from injuries. Thanks. 5 acres of yard work!!!! Holy crap, you deserve to take the week off. You are the Warrior Queen.

MJ - How are you? How are the tennis lessons going? Have you signed up for camp again?

Tara - Are you back from your travels? When does your daughter return?

I don't have much to report. Yoga/Pilates. Rehab. I need to start lifting. Looking at dogs. Oh and I'm facing 2/3 of an empty nest soon and it is making me sad. Plus my youngest will be at camp for two weeks during the time the older two move out. I haven't been alone - a l o n e - in twenty years.

Am I crazy to be thinking about dogs? What I like about Standard Poodles is they shed very little, do not stink, are highly intelligent and are easily trainable, and they make great running partners. Here is the link to a pic of the mom and dad - scroll down to the middle of the page to the red dogs.

http://marquisdiamondstandardpoodles.com/PupsAvailable.html

Why do poodles have such a bad rep?

I'm off to do Hip Helpers and Core Integration, both Jill Miller yoga conditioning dvds.

Ciao
:D

Last edited:
Hey Warrior Woman

I am going to be at my sisters for the next couple days so I decided to make today a really good workout because I know I won't be doing anything while I am gone!
WU: movement prep, dislocates, pumps and around the body
WO: Medium Day C&P 4x4, 1x3 assisted pull-ups
Swings 10 min 40 sec on 10 off. Reps ranged between 26 and 15 (mostly 24 or 20) total 236.
CO: 3 Rounds 15 hamstring stability ball roll-ins alternating legs, 8/8 sit and stands, 8 close-push-ups (from knees), 10 Side V sits
Then 100 band walks, 100 Fire walkers

My butt might be crying tomorrow! Here is something funny, I tried to a band that we have with handles to help me with my pull-ups... well it was too loose so it didn't do much but when I took one foot out, I forgot about the tension and just about took my head off! A bit of a near miss!

Cathy - I know that this is a really stressful time and your body will react to all the stress and SURPRISE you!!! My Dad went through colon cancer recently and did very well. His was not found in a scope.... so it was pretty advanced. There is alot they can do. I hope that everything goes well and Janis is right - Yoga, Yoga, Yoga. Keep us posted!

Janis - Glad the site helped out a little. I am scared for when the empty nest stage starts. With both boys so close together there won't be much time when there is just one! I can see why you are thinking of a dog! I really like German Shepards as that is what we always had. I guess the poodle thing is more about how they are groomed and shown than the dog itself...

I had better run here! Hello to Tara and MJ

Cheers
Heather

Janis I think the poodle thing may stem from how often in the past they are portrayed as something wealthy women have and as sort of dogs that are just objects to be cooed over. Sure you don't want a Sparty type dog - certainly never boring with him around. :p I don't think you're crazy to want to get a dog. Sounds like you would have time for one and be able to give it plenty of attention. I must say though that over the years I've come to most definitely favor males animals over female. At least with dogs and cats, they seem to be much easier going while females, even spayed, can be rather bitchy in personality.

My Dad is supposed to call me tomorrow after Mom's appt with the surgeon, so I'll know more than. They still don't have the info from the biopsy yet.

Heather, I can't imagine that much yard landscaped. We have a little over a yard and probably a third of it is just left to do it's own thing. In the 13 years we've been here, it's become a meadow with trees courtesy of the birds and little animals. The rest is pretty low maintenance, too, as we just aren't into yard work.

This morning I did the back exercises out of my "Pain Free" book. Hoping to avoid going in for an adjustment. It certainly felt better after I did them, and it was VERY stiff/sore this morning when I got up. Even though I slept a good portion of the night with my knees up on 2 couch pillows and flat on my back.

My library has two of the Core Performance books and I got "Core Performance Essentials" yesterday. I have a hold on the other one as it's checked out right now. Definitely am going to have to start taking my body more seriously and doing more than just cardio/weights. I'm quite sure my slacking off on ab work hasn't helped at all.

Shopping day! I've done the back exercises morning and night the last two days and gotten a lot of improvement. Doing them again before I leave. I think I'll be up to doing a cardio tomorrow. Yay!

I was discussing STS on Facebook the other day and a realization that should have sunk in before, but I think I'd been denying it because I like doing things as they are meant to be. STS has worked great for my upper body, lower body not so much. So, when I start back up again in about a week (my goal) I'm going to do STS upper body, and try alternating Legs & Glutes and the Butts & Guts premix that uses light weights/no weights and tossing in the bonus leg work from STS once a week, too. Definitely more cardio and getting in at least a short core workout nearly every day. My abs definitely respond best to 6 days a week.

My Mom is having surgery Tuesday, so I'll be going there that day and DH is staying home with the boys. It is malignant, but the dr. is pretty confident that it is contained and that he can just take out the segment and reattach. If it goes the way he thinks it will, her recovery will be no different than if she'd had hernia surgery. And she'll need no further treatment. SHE is a drs. worst nightmare as a patient though. Total and complete white coat phobia and has freaked out on them a couple times. She finally got something for her nerves yesterday. Thankfully, Mom and Dad decided that it would be best if I met them at the hospital on Tuesday and not go down Monday night. Though I did ask Dad if she'd behave better if I was there. Truly don't envy him having to deal with her through all this.

Wow Cathy you are going through alot right now. I hope your mom's surgery goes well, it sounds exactly the same as my Dad's! He did have to have chemo though as the took some lymph-nodes from around the area and there was one that showed cancer. That was 3 years ago and everything healed very well. Too bad your mom is a bit skittish but it must be done.
I think that I am with you on the STS for legs. Some of the exercise were great but others were not so good and did not work well with my back. Hopefully you can get the Core performance for women book. I skipped alot of the diet info etc but the body stability stuff was very interesting!
Hope things go well for you!!!

Janis - I hope things are going smoothly for you?? Heard from the doc yet? Can you call them and jog their memory?

Yesterday I was exhausted from my week. I had audits 3 mornings in a row and then very little sleep. I had to have a wee nap when I got home but then did a short myomy.tv workout, I actually did some close-push ups off my toes to I was very proud of my self!
WO:16 rounds 50 sec work/10 sec rest
burpee with push-up
rear lunge with kick R
rear lunge with kick L
Hindu push-up
one legged half squat R
one legged half squat L
close push-up
Mountain climbers

This morning was light RoP day:
WU: Dislocates, sumo stretch and wall squats
WO: C&P 3x5 and 2x4 (5 ladders total!!!) with assited pull-ups, one clean
CO: 8 min snatches 5/5 with 16, 10/10 with 12kg - 5 rounds total for 150 snatches!

Wow you can really tell when you start to get tired from the snatches with the 16!!! Fun though. I am trying a new protein powder today... I am a little nervous. I am celiac so I can't have wheat and I am also lactose/casein intolerant so I have always avoided whey protein. My sisters bodybuilding BIL is also celiac/lactose intolerant and can have a special whey isolate protein so I am trying it out today. Could go either way but if it works out it would be great if not... it will be a bad day!

Anyways, all the best for everyone!
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.