!!!!! Weightloss challenge for December :)

Hello - I hope you all don't mind me coming into the thread. I need a little help since I gained a little of my weight back. Need to make myself accountable again, and stop eating so much PIE :)

I did LIS - Afterburn - Random Burn premix this morning. Usually I walk on weekends but it was cold and cloudy here today.

Elle

Woke up to snow this morning, so cycling was out. The roads are still snow slicked, so no cycling tomorrow either. I came home from work tonight and DH surprised me with new handlebar tape and a fixed rear tire on my winter bike (he's the sweetest!). I'll be trying out a new spin workout in the morning. Eating has been unbalanced, lots of fruits, not much protein.

Elle, how long is the random burn premix? I've never tried that one. I love Afterburn, it always kicks my butt.

Sue, sounds like a great workout for you today. Do you start Meso 2 on Monday?

Elle's mention of Afterburn had me craving it this morning, so I did that instead of spinning. I added on the step combo and blast from LIC. Nice sweatfest, even in my unheated basement. : )

Isn't funny how much we can sweat in unheated basements?? That's where I work out, too, and I'm usually dripping wet summer or winter ;)

Today, I went for a 5-mile walk - it's cloudy but not cold and I needed to get outside. Sue - do you walk/jog in- or outside?

Afterburn - Random Burn is 55 min, it looks like you found that out :) And you did more on top if it- wow! The lunges to the dixie cups and low lunges back and forth always get me the next day in all the right places! I do skip the second set of burpees toward the end of Random Burn because this workout seems jam packed with different varieties and my shoulder will start getting cranky after awhile ;)

Have a great Sunday!
Elle

Today I did DWP, wow, that's a hard workout! I only tried it once before quite a few months ago and remember not finishing it. My squats weren't so low and the 2nd time through I was very low energy and trying to go low impact as much as possible. You ladies and Afterburn - that is my most dread workout! Do you know what is the difference between HIIT and metabolic workouts? Seems to me like they're very similar results-wise.

Hi Elle! I may have missed it but have you told us about yourself? I hear you on the pie - I'm a bit of a sugar addict in general and this is the time of year for my beloved pumpkin pie! I have had weight loss success going cold turkey off the sweets, usually for one month at a time. I've also abstained Sun-Fri and indulged on Saturdays, with less success than full cold turkey, but moderate success nonetheless. I find that when I count calories I get a bit obsessive and think about food pretty much all the time. What are your goals? Do you have any strategies?

If I'm walk/running it is outside, I don't like to run on the treadmill. I walk slow (1.7ish mph) on the treadmill while working about 2 hours a day, standing the rest of the time. So I get a bit of NEAT activity in.

Tina I don't get home until late Tuesday so I'll start M2 either Tuesday night or Wednesday, depending on how tired I am. Adding on to Afterburn - wow, wow, wow! I envy your unheated basement, I open the window while working out, feel bad about wasting the heat, but I need it cooler than even turning off the heat will go.

Hi to Shereta and Melanie, I hope you're having a nice weekend :)

Sue, what is DWP? I haven't a clue. I'm so bad with acronyms, I read TTFN (a teen book) when my daughter first started texting so I could decipher what in the heck she meant.

I LURVE my unheated basement (except when it gets way below zero), it takes alot to get drippy sweaty lately. I was smart and wore shorts down there this morning, I knew Afterburn would have me stripping off the layers.

I'm being naughty and making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and chocolate cake with cream cheese-coconut frosting. We all skipped lunch, so this is going to be gooood.

DWP = HIIT Pyramid or double wave pyramid. Your dinner sounds yummy, is the cake for a special occasion or just because? Sounds delish! I'll be having falafel and a cucumber salad tonight. Probably be hungry later :(

Monday!

Hi All - Just finished To the Max (no premix) today - was able to keep up and match the weights except for those darn side snatches - my left shoulder is still tender and won't take the weight - ah, getting older bites sometimes.

Sue - I am a sugar craver, too. When I quit my last job and started working on the house I lost 15 lbs without changing my eating habits and working out the same. I track my food with Calorie King, so I reviewed what I was eating and noticed that I wasn't eating the sugary/salty/crunchy stuff that had been available at work. Plus I was moving all day - up the ladder, down the ladder, painting, you get it - and my job involved sitting all day in an office with a ton of stress. Now that the remodel is done I need to go back to work or find another project because the bad habits of being bored are coming back. And the pie :)

My goal is to get back down to 130 - that's about another 10 lbs and is what I weighed when we moved up here. I am down from 155 this past Feb. I can do it, just need a little nudging from peers like all of you!

Today I had my freshly made yogurt and raspberries with a low fat cheese snack after my workout. Then salad for lunch and butternut squash mac n cheese for dinner.

Have a great day, I'm off to plant bulbs while the weather is SO NICE.

Elle

OMG - life is crazy over here. I'm so glad we're off and running for December!

Saturday's workout was Cardio and upper body
Sunday was 3.5 run/walk on Dreadmill
today was High reps and I plan to do an hour on Dreadmill after dinner. I'm determined to get some weight off this month.

This morning was M2D22 and Cardio Supersets. I'm adding a short cardio after STS this rotation because of the reduced cycling miles. I really need to start spinning more.

Elle, I'd love to have your butternut macaroni recipe. My dad has a stockpile of squash, so any other way to cook it would be welcome. Great job on your weight loss! : )

I'm back on track this morning. After last nights feast and feeling bloaty after, I'm feeling really motivated today. Back to tracking everything on MFP.

Sue, now I'll need to add DWP in this week. I haven't done that one in awhile.

Hi everyone!

Glad to hear you're all keeping on track with the workouts! My weekend was without internet/phone & t.v. It happened Friday night, and wasn't fixed until Sunday. So no checking in for me.

On Saturday my eating was off the rails. Seriously. I kept thinking "why can't I stop eating???" Sometimes I think I need a shrink to analyze why I don't stop myself. Argh!!!!!!

So Sunday I ate really well, and am determined to keep it up all week.

I got my bodyfat calipers and hubby and I figured out where exactly to take the measurements by watching a couple of youtube clips. So according to the measurements we took, I have a body fat % of 27.5%. That ticked me off. The "normal" bf maximum for someone my age is 24%. I used a website's tools to calculate my body fat, and it came up with 34.3%. But they only use your age, height, neck, waist & hip measurements. So hopefully the calipers gave me a more accurate reading.

Anyways, the whole time I'm going through this process, I was thinking "I'm getting way too obsessed with this." Do you guys ever feel this way?

I think that for the entire month of December I'm not going to weigh myself or take my bf measurement. I need a break from the stats. I need to focus on more positive goals like making progress on my strength training etc.

OK, so 'nuf about me!!

Sue I was also wondering which of Cathe's workouts count as metabolic training. Here's an article I found:

Cathe Friedrich - The Benefits of Metabolic Training

It says in part "Metabolic exercises are designed to get your heart rate up while building lean body mass. They involve doing a resistance exercise using weights for a set period of time followed by a brief recovery, usually no more than a minute – and then proceeding to the next strength training exercise. Three to five exercises are usually included in a single circuit, and the circuit is repeated two or three times."

So I think that of Cathe's workouts, the ones that fall under metabolic training would be:
Cross Fire
To the Max
Athletic Training
Afterburn
Cardio Supersets
Drill Max
Low Impact Circuit
Circuit Blast

Am I missing any?

Hi Elle - your recipe for the butternut squash thing sounds good! Hope we can help with the last 10 pounds! What strength training do you do?

Butternut Squash recipe

Here's the recipe for the butternut macaroni cheese recipe. Although it is from Cooking Light, I had to do a bit of tweaking to get the fat down. I know it is less fat the way I made it, but did not do the calculation yet. If you have a lot of squash, just roasting it in the oven and eating it off the tray with the rosemary on it is SO GOOD :) I turned it over halfway thru roasting so it got all carmelized on every side.

Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta Recipe | MyRecipes.com

My substitutions:
- Olive oil in a Misto instead of Pam
- Use your choice of a whole wheat pasta instead of just penne rigata (extra fiber) and cook it just shy of al dente and then bake it for 20-25 minutes at 400. I like my pasta to get a little of the sauce baked into it.
- Use skim or 1% milk for the white sauce base.
- 5 ounces of lower fat shredded cheddar
- skip the bacon, use ham or prosciutto or up the squash amount, but the bacon sure is good.

It really is a tasty recipe. And it gets my hubby eating squash!! And liking it. :p

today was 4DS kickbox cardio only. I love a 30 minute workout :) Had a ton of sushi for dinner, it doesn't happen often so I indulged. I updated my weight loss goal to 139, that's 8 lbs away. If I can lose 1 pound a week I should be at my goal by the end of January. Then I can reassess and decide if I want to lose any more.

Shereta nice workouts :) how is your eating, are you still paleo-ish?

Tina are you doing weights and cardio at the same time or 2x/day workouts? DWP fried my calves!

Hi Melanie! How did you survive the electronic outage! Yes, I'd use "obsession" to describe the attention to food, measurements and exercise sometimes. I looked up calipers on amazon but haven't bought them yet. Did you need hubby to take the measurements? I'd prefer to do that solo. The only metabolic video I own is Afterburn and I have a huge dread factor with it. I think that's one where I'll have to make the shorter premixes and build up to the whole workout. I've done the whole thing (poorly) a few times and have had DOMS for many days.

Elle good job on the weight loss so far! with results like yours I would find it hard to go back to work if I didn't have to! Maybe you can find a job that mimics your home improvement activities? Do you make your own yogurt?

Travel day for me tomorrow, I may do M2D13 when I get home. Have a good day ladies :)

Tuesday morning :)

Hi All - I did 4DS Double Cardio today and will do more gardening since the weather is holding out.

Melanie - while I have STS, I found that it and others like Gym Styles just wasn't for me. One morning I found myself yawning during STS and it wasn't because I needed oxygen :) I like the cardio and strength together - like the Body Max, Drill Max, Boot Camp, 4DS.

Sue - yup, I make my own yogurt. I bought a Salton for like $10 on clearance and have been hooked ever since. It's really easy to make and so tasty. I'm taking some time now to figure out what the heck I want to do - I knew it wasn't what I was doing :D Safe travels, today!

Gonnabea5 - you made me laugh with the 'dreadmill' :)

This morning was Spinervals 2.0. Sweat factor was incredible. This workout features football star Ray Lewis. I wish someone could bottle this man's positive energy!

Sue, I can't wait to hear how you like Meso 2.

My nutrition motivation is really high this week. I hope it lasts through the holidays. Elle's recipe looks great, I'll be trying it next week.

Hey, Yall Happy Tuesday . today I did cardio SS and tonight I plan to have fellowship with the dreadmill. Really trying to keep calories at bay and drop a few this month.

I see why I don't loose. EVen though I workout in the am, I stopped monitoring what I ate and the eveneing is spent on the sofa and the pantry. Even when I monitored what I ate, i didn't limit it. I just eat whatever, whenever

But, today, I have caloried out my meals today and I'm sitting at 1515. We'll see if that's all that goes into my mouth. I've gained only a few pounds, but it feels like 6!!!

Hi everyone:

This morning was 4DS Higher Intensity with weights. I'm on my final week of 4DS and am thinking of doing a couple weeks of STS Meso 2 then a couple weeks of STS Meso 3. Someone just lent me Insanity. I'm contemplating starting it, but a little hesitant cause I love Cathe so much and I've heard that Insanity is really hard on the knees.

I'm so proud of myself these past few days I've really kept on track with my eating, and eating within my carb/protein/fat ratios. I haven't had any processed foods in the past 3 days and I haven't mindlessly snacked in front of the t.v. at night. If I'm hungry at around 8:00, I try to eat raspberries or blackberries rather than a processed carb (which has been my habit for as long as I can remember).

Sue - yep, I needed hubby to help me with the calipers. The booklet recommends taking the measurements in four places, two of which I couldn't reach (just below shoulder blade and back of arm).

I did surprisingly ok without internet/cable & phone for the weekend. I did miss the internet the most though - I realized how much I rely on it for recipes, directions, news etc. Plus I like to Skype every weekend with my mom, so I missed that.

I'm glad to hear you modified your weight loss goal to 139. From those calculations you listed last week, it sounds like a more reasonable goal.

I used to dread Afterburn too, but once you conquer it, its fun (like IMAX 2/3 - it took me forever to conquer those, but once I did it was such a great feeling!).

Hope your travelling went ok.

Elle - the reason I asked about weight lifting is because some people say that if they've been on a plateau for a while, they start lifting heavy, doing less cardio, and it helps them to break the plateau and drop the last 10. But I totally hear you on the circuit-type strength workouts - I LOVE 'em!

Tina - Keep on cycling!! Is Brenda in spinervals? Someone posted about Spinervals on the Open Discussion, and they said that its 5 hours long???

Shereta - sounds like you've got a good strategy to help you this month. You know from doing WW how important it is to track every single thing we inhale. Hopefully this will help you keep on track this month and maybe even drop a few pounds.

Have a great night girls!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.