Undulating Warriors March 15 - March 21

Disk 34 Chest and Back done! I got started much later than I wanted to, but the stars were apparently not aligned and I had to do a bunch of things first. I also ended up eating a banana before hand. I actually managed all my weights fine and actually went up a pound for the flys just because I find it easier to manage the heavier weight than to wear 4 lb wts on each wrist for that exercise.

I must say that I think I could write a mini novel on what this transition to menopause is doing to me mentally! I've rather sailed through perimenopause and now I feel like I'm on a never ending merry-go-round and constantly flipping through various thoughts, feelings, ideas.... It's really rather disconcerting. It's as if I'm a butterfly who simply cannot decide what flower to land on and I just keep darting about in all directions.

Hope you all have a wonderful start to your week!

Good Morning Warriors

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I am rested all weekend and just did yoga type stretching. I was particularly sore after Friday's Back and Biceps so I have decided to keep things resting until there is no more pain. I am sad but watching myself hobble around on Sat made me realize that I have to listen better and heading into meso 3 with a sore back is not going to work!!!
Anyways, tell me all about your workouts I am going to workout vicariously through you!

Cathy - I know that you are not having fun with your symptoms right now but your description was a very eloquent way to describe them! Does working out help? I am sure that you must have had the same change in weather that we have been having. I am so looking forward to just going outside today!

Janis - I hope you had a good weekend, do you have Chest and back on Tap for today?

Tara -I really can't believe that we are getting close to the end of this rotation either! I can't help but think about what I want to do next before I go back and do STS again.

MJ - Hope all is well out there!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Hi Ladies

The time change takes me a solid week to get used to.

I did Hiit 30/30 and then Chest and Back. I can't believe how quickly this rotation has flown by.

Cathy - Are you sure you are entering menopause? Aren't you a little young? I do know what you mean though, if I don't have a to-do list and a plan written down I am all over the place and never accomplish a thing. I am the Queen of Starting and Stopping.

Heather - Smart of you to take care of your back. It seems like we are crossing the finish line with various over-use injuries. As a good friend always reminds me, we are in it (fitness) for the long haul, so resting when needed is much better than being permanently side-lined.

Tara and MJ - How are ya?

Tomorrow I'm running and doing MMA- kickbox. I am also working on what I am going to do next. I want to keep mixing it up, like we have been with the undulating rotation, but I want to add p90x to the mix, and some full body/circuit workouts. Time for more change. :)

Hi All,

Janis, I think it's another week of "great minds think alike"! I did Chest & Back plus HiiT 30/30 today. Actually, I did half of C&B and will do the rest tomorrow along with MMA Boxing. I actually was thinking this morning about what to do next too. I think I'm leaning towards a mish-mosh of a traditional STS rotation with Shock Cardio included, but I may mix up the leg routines a bit. I've been missing Plyo legs, so I may do it for the first few weeks, even though I may use another Mesocycle for upper body.

What do you all think? Should we all do what we each want to and still check-in? Pretty please say yes! I need you all to keep me accountable with working out regularly! Then maybe we can all decide to do a rotation together in a couple of months or so?

Heather, I think you're totally doing the right thing by resting until your back is pain-free. I hope it will heal quickly!

Cathy, gotta love all that hormone change going on! ;) Some say that flaxseed & evening primrose oil may ease the symptoms somewhat. Ginkgo Biloba is helpful for memory/focus--according to some. I sometimes find I need a memory/concentration boost myself!

MJ, hope to hear from you soon!

Until tomorrow,
Tara

Hey Everyone

Tomorrow we have to leave early for an all day hockey tournament... so I thought I would post now. I went for a brisk walk today while the boys rode their bikes and a lot of yoga and back stretching.

I would really like to keep this check in going even if we aren't doing the same workouts! It is so nice to be talking to people that are working out with Cathe DVD's and pushing themselves. I like to commiserate and challenge each other. It's just really nice to have someone to talk to about your workout and the feeling that you are reporting to the team!

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
Heather

This morning I did MMA Fusion. I really like that workout and it's got great core work. Core work that isn't easy, but I can do it.

I would definitely like to keep checking in even if we are doing different things. We can just change our name a bit. :D

Heather is it unusual for you to have hockey tournaments during the week? Are the kids not in school right now? I do hope that your back gets better soon. But, you are being very smart about taking a break - I should learn from your example because while I had no choice, but to take a break with my leg, in the past I've been very bad about it.

I still haven't tried 30/30 yet. Or 40/20. I may give 30/30 a try on Thursday. That's the "easier" one, right? Though I think the term easier is being used very loosely there. :p

Janis the average age of menopause (last period) is 51, so I'm really not far off. My last cycle was 40 days and I'm now over 60 on this one. I'm not sure I'm totally done, but definitely dwindling. I've not taken anything throughout perimenopause and I doubt I'll need to. I seem to be coming out of my week of flightiness. Now I just get to wait and see what comes next.

I'm of a mind to start a bit of spring cleaning today - though I think my first main focus is going through the boys clothes with them to see what they might need. They wear shorts and T-shirts year round indoors, and they tend to wear out before they outgrow them. And then there are issues like Nicholas favorite current outfit is a pair of much to short pants and a red T-shirt with holes and stains :rolleyes:

Good Morning Warriors!

So I have finally managed to get myself back on the bandwagon. Work is still a mess, but at least my body is now feeling good again after the food poisoning the other week. Who knew it would take that long to fully recover. Started doing some cardio last week, then finally started weights again on Sunday. I am hopelessly behind on the undulating rotation, so I have just decided to call it a day on that and do a couple of weeks of meso 2 until I figure out what rotation I want to do next. Definitely need to put together a good plan for spring to reach my goals by summer. Also going to finally start taking tennis lessons once a week starting in April. Plus, I am committing to checking in here everyday. I really need all of you to help keep me on track and I find that I miss the friendships when I am away too long.

So Sunday I did HIS and Disc 13 chest/shoulders/tris and yesterday I did step moves and this morning I walked on the treadmill for 30min and did disc 14 legs. Plus I have tennis (finally!) tonight. Lets hope the legs hold up.

Janis- Next tuesday I am heading out to your neck of the woods for 5 days. My brother lives in Roseville, I think is the name of the town, all I know is that I fly into Sacramento. I decided I definitely needed a break for a few days from work to help keep me sane, my boss agreed. lol So I know I will be going snowboarding with my brother in Lake Tahoe for 1 or 2 of the days while the kids are in school and the wife is at work. I have never snowboarded so this will be an adventure. Lets hope I make it back in one piece. ;) So for the other days, any suggestions on what to do?

Heather - Glad your back is feeling better. Please take the time to rest and heal, in the long run it is better. Hope the hockey tourney goes well.

Tara- Way to go on the workouts! I absolutely want to continue the check-in regardless if we are doing the same rotation or not. We can just be the Warriors!

Cathy- I am glad you are feeling less flighty today. Although I had to crack up at your desciption of the butterfly because I feel that way quite often and I do not even have the good excuse of menopause. lol

Alright, back to work for me. Will check in later. Have a good Tuesday. :cool:

I put the rotation I created in a PDF document, so you should all be able to open it. But, I can't find a way to attach a document to messages through this site. :( I had Janis' e-mail so I already sent her one, and if you want a copy just e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

I did try and attach it here, but the file is about twice the size as what it will accept.

Last edited:
Hi Warriors!

I ran today (surprise surprise) to Cardio Coach Press Play. I love that one. Ran 6.5 miles in 60 minutes. Sweating bullets the whole time. The program starts out, after the warm-up, with hill climb to sprint intervals. Love it. It's the affirmations, inspiration, positive motivation, but it's the life story of Jim Maclaren that keep me coming back time and again.

After that sweat-fest, I changed my clothes head to toe, and did Tony Horton's KenpoX (from p90x). It is not any where in the neighborhood of a Cathe kickbox, but it was a nice add on, plus I benefited from the stretching and it added warmth and circulation to my sore chest and back.

MJ- Very lovely to hear from you. I am glad you survived food poisoning and work. Gosh - some of the stuff we have to deal with just to stay on track, and stay fit.... sheesh. Well, what's that saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." Or something to that effect. Sacramento is the airport we use when we fly, a very easy airport - easy in and easy out, so that's a bonus. Visitng Sacramento/Roseville.....hmmmm....I'll have to think. Snowboarding will be a blast, sign up for some lessons, it will make your experience much happier. Will your brother take you to The City? (A local colloquialism for San Francisco used by everyone not just us country bumkins!) Do you drink wine? There are vineyards and wineries in the Sierra Foothills that are worthy of a visit, or you could drive to Napa. It'd be about an 1.5 hour drive. There are nice areas in downtown Sac that are fun to visit, "Old Town", the shopping mall downtown, and the train museum come to mind. There is also riverboat cruises that are nice too. After skiing you might just want to nap, take walks, and hang out with your bro.:)

Heather - how's your back today? How was the hockey tournament? Have your Budokon dvds arrived yet? I ordered two Kettlebell dvds and a couple more kick box. Not that I need any more workouts or anything!

Tara- Hi honey, I am happy your a.m./p.m. workouts are working for you. :D How was your back workout? One of the features on the workout manager allows you to enter the workouts you have and it will configure a rotation for you, have you used it?

Cathy - Thanks for the rotation. I didn't realize the average age for menopause was 51. Is that starting or ending? I'm 46 and I just assumed 'it'
would not occur for another 10 years. (keeping fingers crossed, and kegal-ing like crazy:eek:)

Well - tomorrow is PLYO Wednesday for me. (Saturday is squat rack.)

Ciao:D

Hi Everyone,

Today I did the second half of chest & back; then did MMA Boxing, but skipped the abs. ;)
Tomorrow will be Squat Rack legs--last one for awhile! Glad to see that we all love checking in with each other. It would really feel funny not to have ya'll to check in with. I guess that means you're stuck with me for a long time! :)

Cathy, I'm looking forward to seeing your rotation. I'll be emailing you soon to get it. Let us know what you think of 30/30 on Thursday.

Heather, enjoy the hockey tournament. I definitely feel the same way about checking in. It's just nice to have friends who love Cathe & understand how exercise has become part of our normal daily routine!

Janis, I didn't know about that feature in workout manager that would create a rotation from your recorded workouts. That sounds wonderful! I'll play with it & see if it works for me. Thanks so much for letting me know!

MJ, Glad you are feeling better. Looks like you started up again strong! Sounds like next week will be a fun one for you. :)

See you all tomorrow!
Tara

No workout for me today. :( I was awake for quite awhile during the night, and just didn't have enough energy. I'll be home all day tomorrow, so I'll do STS in the morning and try and do cardio in the afternoon to get back on track.

Heather how was the hockey tournament? And how's the back. Sitting at games can be really rough on the back.

Tara it's great that you've found a way to get your workouts in and good luck with squat rack legs today. I'll be doing that one Friday. Shall I crack my whip a bit on those ab workouts girl! :D

Janis sounds like you had a great run and more yesterday! And, I believe I read that on average the cessation of menstruation is 51 years. But, averages have to have thing on either side and some woman stop before they are 40 and others over 60.

It's another beautiful sunny day here and should be near 60 again! We'll be going to the park this afternoon, though I'm thinking we'll be at the playground since there's no snow for sledding.;) And with warmers temps comes - baseball. Coach sent a message yesterday that Nicholas' team has a scrimmage Friday - right before the cold front with colder temps and rain arrives on Saturday.

Hello Everyone!!!

Yesterday was a very long day...but our team won all three games and won the tournament. It is quite a feat considering that they have only won 5 games all season. So I was very happy for them. Me... well it was alot of sitting and we really didn't think that they would make it so I did not pack food for dinner so we ended up eating some junk. For the last game I ended up standing as I couldn't sit anymore!

My back is feeling alot better but I am going to stay away from weights till it is 100%. So this morning I went for a run and tonight I am going to do a body weight workout circuit. It's funny my back seems better but now my butt is really tight and sore too now. Must all be connected.

Yeah... I am so glad that everyone is going to keep going with the check-in. My plan is to try and get back to weights by next week and finish the rotation but we shall see. Then I want to do some more circuit style workouts. I have a bunch that I have downloaded from Cathe that I have never tried yet.

Janis - I am hoping to do press play next week when things are back to normal with my back. I haven't got any of the DVD's that I ordered yet. I am a little worried as I ordered them from Total fitness dvd's. It hasn't been two weeks yet but DH leaves for Australia tomorrow and I want to get trying them!

Tara - That's great that you have found a system that works for you! I think any time you add in a second workout (especially well spaced from the first) you are adding a big kick to your metabolism. Not that I have the scientific evidence!

MJ - So glad that you are back. Have a great trip and it is a good idea to get away! I am trying to get my Dh to do the same as he is totally stressed out at work but he is the boss so that makes it a bit trickier!

Cathy - Hope you had the great weather we had yesterday! I am going to wear capri's today!! It is soo hard not to keep working out when I am injured. It is this terrible guilty feeling and I really miss the cardio high. I think too I am afraid that I will loose my roll and gusto and just not get back into it the same. However being able to stand up right when I am 60 is important to me! I'll send you my email so you can send me the rotation! Thanks for sharing!

Talk to you all soon!
Heather

Happy St. Patty's Day!

I did the last plyo legs in this rotation. The one-legged squat thrusts are getting easier on the right leg, which is a good sign, and the squat turns, I used to only do as a 1/4 turn, today I was able to do the 1/2 turn, so yay me!:) I had planned to do MMA-Boxing after wards, but I am going to go work in the garden instead. The birds are singing, the sun is shining, the grass is green, the air is warm....just too nice of a day to stay inside.

Heather - how long will your dh be gone? I'm really attracted to body-weight exercises, what are you going to do?

Cathy - Bummer - I am sorry you had a bad nights sleep. I hope you had fun at the playground though. Enjoy your rest day....can you catch a nap?

MJ - Have you gone rollerblading yet?

Tara - How was squat rack legs? I'm doing it on Saturday or Sunday.

Tomorrow is running - maybe at the vineyard....HILLS! :eek:

:D

Last edited:
Good morning Everyone

Yesterday I felt really good after my run and did some body weight/cardio. A circuit that I got off Bodyrock. It was good but now my back is a little stiff again. There was skipping on one leg, push-up's with a clap, plyo jump then step ups on a chair, jump lunges and a pike off the chair with tricep push-ups. Maybe it was the jumping???? I tried to do the cardio kickbox (Tracey Stahele) but my back was pulling this morning so I had to quit, so I think I will just stick to running for now.
Sad.

Anyways, it is March break here and the weather has been gorgeous. The boys wore shorts yesterday and hopefully can today. I'll have to get more bandaids for those knees though!

Cathy - I hope you had a good rest day and were able to get some sleep last night. What workout did you do today?

Janis - I got some of my new DVD's yesterday after I checked in. Shiva Rea, Jill Miller Athletic Stretch and The Cardio Kickbox challenge. I am going to try the post run stretch after I go from my run today.

Tara - How are things going?

MJ - Did you have your tennis lesson yet? How did it go?

Talk to you soon
Heather

Hi Warriors!

I ran this morning, but opted to do a steady state run on the treadmill rather than go out to the vineyard. I just didn't feel like doing hills today even though the weather is absolutely gorgeous. Ran 6 miles in 55 minutes, then I did the kickbox cardio only pre-mix from 4DS. I forgot how fun that workout can be - it was a nice 30 minute add on.

Heather - I meant to congratulate you and your boys on the hockey tournament win. I bet your husband was glad to still be in town to see it. I got my two Kettle bell dvd's yesterday. I'm just waiting for the kettle bell to arrive. I have never tried this form of whole body workout, I am almost giddy with excitement. I'll definitely have to preview.

Cathy - Did you get your STS workout in? I feel like everyone is dropping like flies, or more like injured athletes, at the end of this undulating rotation! Don't bail on me girl!!! I am sticking it out to the end!;)

Have you noticed that the longer, warmer days are a huge mood improver!? Phew - we made it through another winter, it's time for a celebration!

Oh - when my guys were younger we had first aid kits and band aids of all varieties in all vehicles and in the kitchen cupboard.... good times.:D

Tomorrow is STS M3 W4 disc whatever -the last Shoulder Bicep Tricep workout of Meso3.

:D

Hi all! Very busy day here. We left early for a class at the historical museum - excellent one on woman in Michigan from 1900-1970. The docents were great and all dressed for their period and in character. Then we stayed after to discuss what we'd like for next year with the staff. After that to the library and then went in search of new cleats for the boys, as they have their first outdoor practice tonight. Then I needed to clean up the house and now I'm taking a break before I start supper. We have to head out again just after 5:30.

Anyway, I did Disk 36 Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps and went up on a few things. Concentration curls, cross body kickbacks and barbell front press. My night could have gone the way of last night, but I salvaged it. DH has sleep apnea, but can't use the machine - he tried, and so he snores really loud. I go to bed first and as long as I'm asleep I'm fine. But, if I wake up to go to the bathroom and he's in one of his snoring fits, I can't go back to sleep. The night before least I waited to long before moving to the couch and my brain kicked into gear and wouldn't shut off. Last night, I made the switch much quicker and fell back asleep.

I'd forgotten when I missed my cardio the other day, that we'd be too busy for me to do it today, so I'll try and fit it in tomorrow afternoon, and if that doesn't work, I'll do something short Saturday before I go shopping, since I already rested this week.

Gotta go make supper! More tomorrow.

Good Evening Everyone

Just a quick drop in to say that I fit my run in an did the Jill Miller stretch after and my back feels alot better. The cool thing about my run today was that I actually was able to push myself. I usually get lost in daydreams and thinking through problems that I usually forget to push myself (that's why CC is so awesome for me) but today I did my usual run in 31.3 minutes. Usually I am between 33 or 36!!! That is a really big difference for me. I am going to be going up to my MIL's this weekend so I won't be around. SO have a great weekend everyone! I am going to run again tomorrow and hopefully do something on Sunday when we get back.

Cathy -your museum visit sounded really fun for your kids. I am the same way about sleep. If someone wakes me up and I get too awake... or even worse talks to me then I can't get back to sleep. Hope you can manage to get some more sleep.

Janis - I will come back to STS. I have to finish this thing!!!! My parent's came back to Florida so I finally got my Athleta clothing! It all fits but I haven't really got to investigate it yet. Kettle bells look awesome!!! Let me know how it goes! Who's DVD's did you get?

Tara and MJ - Hope you are holding up out there!!!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Disk 40 Squat Rack Legs - done! Hard to believe we only have two weeks left! I have to start thinking about what I'm going to do during my weeks off from STS. It's funny how when I used to do the FIRM circuit workouts were my favorite and now they just don't seem to really do anything for me. I'm thinking I might do one body part per day and cardio/abs. I just have to decide where I'm going to get the one part per day exercises. Which DVD's to use. So, I think I'll do 1 weeks of cardio/abs/stretching after STS and then 3 weeks of one part per day.

Heather that is wonderful about your run time!!!! And I'm glad your back is feeling better, too. Have fun this weekend.

Nicholas was supposed to have a scrimmage tonight, but they practiced last night at the field and it got canceled because the field is still too soft. They didn't even use the diamond at all, stayed way out in the outfield. The coach that runs the club is super protective of his fields and they are the best. We rarely ever go somewhere that has fields as nice and never better. They have optional indoor batting practice tonight and mine don't recognize what the word optional means when it comes to baseball. :)

Well I'm taking another rest day. In large part because my inner thighs are killing me and I can't imagine any cardio that wouldn't be very painful, but also because I'm just tired. My sleep this week has been really messed up. Not just because of cats and snoring DH, but because I've just been waking up far more often than I normally do. And while they wouldn't keep me from doing cardio, my triceps are still super sore from Thursday.

Enjoy your weekend!

Hi Everyone!

Work got a bit stressful mid-week, so I ended up not exercising on Wed, Thu & Friday. Thankfully, today I did not have much planned so I had time to do both Squat Rack Legs & Shoulders, Bi's & Tri's. It is amazing that we are almost done! Next week, I'm get to go back to the good ole USA for a few days. I'm going to a conference at a resort in the vicinity of Las Vegas. I fly there on Tuesday & won't get back until Sunday. I'm going to see if I can do both Meso 1 legs & one of the upper body workouts on Monday & then do the other upper body workout on Sunday when I return. If I can do that, then I should be ready to jump right in to Meso 2 with you the week of Mar 29th. I know the resort I'll be staying at has a fitness center, so I think I'll take the running rotation that Heather sent me & start that on the treadmill there. :)

Cathy, I think you will have to keep your whip handy when it comes to keeping me on track with the ab workouts. :) Just not my favorite thing to do, but I know I need it! I do have Abs on the schedule for tomorrow, though.

Heather, Glad your back is feeling better. Great timing on your run! :) Hope your weekend at your MIL's is enjoyable.

Janis, I see you are making great time on your runs too! :) It'll be awhile once I'm brave enough to tell you what my running speed is! ;) You and Heather inspire me. I think after the rest week, I'm going to do 4DS cardio +weights for a week or two. That is one of my favorite series & I love how both cardio & weights are tackled in right around an hour. :)

MJ, hope work is giving you a breather. I know how hard it is juggling everything else when the job is stressful. Enjoy your weekend & look forward to hearing from you soon!

Tomorrow, I'm planning Step Moves & one of the ab circuit routines. I'll see you all then!

Tara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.