Trying to Fit Yoga in for Wed Nov 29

lorajc

Cathlete
This morning I woke up to my alarm and turned it off thinking it was Saturday for some odd reason. I was a bit late getting started, but I did Amy Bento's All Pump Extreme - 3-Day Split Lower Body premix. I did hack squats, curtsy lunges/side lunge combo, deadlifts, bucket squats, hamstring curls with resistance tubing (I need much heavier tubing for this.......must go dig out of basement) and some other things that I can't remember. The core work was tough at the end walking plank to pike ups with the gliding discs. I think the pikes might be a slight bit harder on discs. I burned 300 calories and it took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete with putting my equipment away.

I guess I was a little more tired than I thought last night. I laid down on my ball to watch GH and woke up an hour later and went to bed. Never saw GH -- 2nd day in a row.

Here's a couple of pics from the show. I'm in the crowd shot - on the right - purple shirt with the red eyes. I look like the Spawn of Satan and a dork (not photogenic). My hair is all wavy cuz the bartenders kept spraying us with water (there's a bar right in front of the stage that separates the stage and front row).

http://www.realrock104.com/buckcherry/BC11.27.1.jpg

http://www.realrock104.com/buckcherry/bc11.27.3.jpg

http://www.realrock104.com/buckcherry/bc11.27.5.jpg

August - Yes, nice of you to call it passion and not obssessed!! LOL. I am a very passionate person......and when I like something a lot, I'm VERY passionate about those things, i.e., exercise, Buckcherry, music in general...etc. I've had an extreme love for music my entire life and it's odd that I never learned to play an instrument. When I discuss music with others, I find they don't listen to it the way I do....noting all of the different instruments coming into play at certain times, etc. I'm always shocked when people say they don't listen to music cuz to me music feeds the soul. Yes, I see my favorite bands everytime they come anywhere close. I would drive 4-5 hours for a concert but my DH will only drive 1.5.......so I guess I have to compromise!

No yoga for me last night. I was too tired. I won't have time tonight after work either as I have a dental appointment.

Have a great day everyone.

oops - wrong thread --

Just thought I'd add that the reason I'm not jumping up and down like everyone else....is cuz that shot was actually taken while we were standing around waiting for the concert......and I don't drink!! LOL.

Hi all! I hope you don't mind that I crashed your thread.

I was turned onto Yoga while doing 90x, and would like to continue. I have the Brian Kest Energize/Tone/Sweat, but it is kind of advanced for me. Should I just keep doing what I can? Or, can you recommend some beginnner Yoga DVD's?

Thanks in advance....

Hi Tammy - welcome. Yes we just started this thread not too long ago. I'm at work right now. I'll respond to your question later. I have lots of ideas and I'm usually pretty lengthy....so I best wait until I get home to respond!

TAMMY!!!! Glad you are joining us!! I will just throw in that I love Rainbeau Mars. I have her Yoga for Beauty Dusk. I am getting Dawn, and I have previewed a few of her others. Lora and August have more on that. SHe gives modifications for all her moves too.

Jen- I actually cancelled the BB SLim in 6 WO's. It was like another $45 every 30-45 days. I just didn't want to pay that, and I already had a few of them, so that was enough.

Lora- again, aI really like the pics. Hope you get your yoga in tonight.

Sorry I forgot to get over here and post last night. My WO was a circiut using my TM and focusing on LB. It lasted just over an hour.

I am planning on UB today. Not sure about cardio, but hoping for yoga.
BBL

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Lora - COOL photos!

>standing around waiting for the concert......and I don't drink!! LOL.

LMAO. I don't drink either. You might not be hopping around, but it makes you one of the only ones who looks dignified :p ! And you certainly don't look like a dork. You look pretty. And that's a pretty sweater you're wearing. Anyway, glad you had such a great time (and a fantastic spot!), and hope your dentist appointment goes all right.

Tammy - Hi there, and welcome! I'm also a beginner at yoga, and Lora gave me lots of great suggestions. I'm sure she's making you a list! As Megadoo mentioned (Hi, Megadoo!), I do have Rainbeau Mars (at Lora's suggestion) and I like her very much. The practices are 30 minutes and are really nice as an add-on, or something for pre-bed. I like that it's just her in the workouts (I have the 4 Sacred Yoga Practices), and she's down-to-earth and nice to watch, and the yoga flow is easy to do, and there's nothing about it that irritates me (and I'm fairly picky). Anyway, I'll let Lora tell you more about stuff, since she really knows her yoga.

I think I might order the Rainbeau Mars Dusk DVD, even though her name makes me crazy--lol!

ETA, August and Meggles, do you order your Rainbeau Mars DVD's directly from her or from somewhere else?

Thanks for the welcome...I can't wait for Lora's list!

I spent some time on Rainbeau's site yesterday....and I agree w/Lora.;)

Hey Lora - very cool pics. You fit right in. I have been feeling a bit run down but did an interval run the treadmill Monday and a bit o' yoga stretches after then went to a class Tuesday at lunch time although by that time I KNEW I was getting sick. Did well there, the instructor got me into some great positions. Feels great to take a class! By end of day my whole body ached and not from the yoga. So stayed home today (worked from home) and got extra rest, taking oscillo... a homeopathic flu med. Seems to be working. I just hate taking days off from exercise but of course my body needs to put its energy into healing, not exercising. Someone once told me that, and it stuck with me. Therefore, if I exercise I won't feel better. I will know when I can get back into it.

Back to my herb tea and a few deep breaths. Namaste all.

Julie

Hi ladies. I hope that I am not crashing your check-in :). I hurt my knee in Sept and have had to rearrange my workout schedule. Currently, I am not doing any Cathe workouts until this knee is healed :eek:. While this might sound like a bad thing it has actually worked out pretty well. I have used itrain workouts like a mad woman at the gym on the bike and the elliptical trainer. Also, I have started swimming which I never would have done before. Another thing that I have started doing is yoga. I am really enjoying it and most of the stuff doesn't hurt or irritate my knee.

So far I have only done 2 yoga DVD workouts. The first is Power Yoga for Athletes with Adrienne Reed. I love this workout. She is very calm and it is power yoga, but she doesn't go at warp speed. My legs were shaking from all the chair poses. I was sore in places that I am never sore (middle of my back, my obliques, my quads). It was great. Last night I did Rodney Yee's Power Yoga for Flexibility. All I can say is YUCK! I don't think that I really like him that much and I kept watching the clock to see when the torture would be over. His voice is goofy and his workout wasn't really that great. Anyway, at least I tried it, right?

No yoga for me tonight. I do have 40 min on the bike and knee PT exercises to keep me busy though.

Karin

PS - I am also waiting for Lora's list! I can't wait to see your recommendations because I would like some more yoga DVDs.

Finally home from work!!

I'm so excited we're getting more people here. We just started this thread a few weeks ago....and don't worry - we don't do yoga every day...only when we can squeeze it in - although I wish I had more time to squeeze it in cuz it makes me feel so good. I started back doing it again (after being told to refrain from it due to a cervical disc injury) because Mark Blanchard told me how healing it is and I thought I'd try to do what I could and work around my injury.....and I'm making a lot of progress. There are still some poses I can't do cuz of trap spasms, crow and side planks, etc. but now a 10 min stretch DVD just doesn't cut it!!!

I'll go over my fave's. Please keep in mind that I LOVE hip openers, twisting and forward bending, so if a DVD is lacking in those areas, I don't reach for it as much. I also think that with Yoga, you can buy any level and just do what you are able. That's what I do and that's what a lot of yoga instructors will tell you. Don't beat yourself up if you can't do a pose...just do the best you can and rest when you need to and breathe.

I love Rainbeau Mars Dusk/Dawn Series - Yoga for Beauty - especially Dusk. Her other ones are all very good, but Dusk is a bit longer and has a little 10 min bonus one on it to do on a rushed day. I'm happy to say she tells me she is working on new material (conversed with her via email recently). I also love the music in this series.

Yoga Shakti with Shiva Rea and Fluid Power with Shiva Rea. These are both really long practices that have a matrix where you can create your own practice. Music and scenery is breathtaking....filmed on a sand dune in the middle of the ocean....Maldives islands and somewhere else (can't remember). This is a very versatile DVD and worth every penny. I really like Shiva a lot. Fluid Power is a bit of a spin on traditional yoga...more fluid like movements, but it's not so much of a spin that's it still doesn't feel like yoga. This DVD has the absolute BEST (in all of my large collection) forward bending/twisting segment. It gets into your piroformis, hip flexors and surrounding area like NOTHING else. I have been doing it a lot lately. She does moves I've not ever seen on any other Yoga DVD for this section (not many but a couple).

For Kundalini - I'm still trying them - but I love Fat Free Yoga Total Tune Up and Dancin' the Chakras. Kundalini is a lot different than Power Yoga though....more arm movements, breathing differently, holding poses longer and brief periods of meditation in betweeen poses. Not for everyone...but I started practicing it because of how good it's supposed to be for all of the glands, mood, etc.

Altar of the Heart with Tilak Pyle - 75 min's but can be broken into 2 practices, as there is a natural pause point about midway thru. This is filmed in the Blue Ridge mountains and I also like the music. The practice does not have a ton of sun salutations and is less of a flow yoga practice (actually - most of the ones I've mentioned so far don't have tons of sun salutations - with the exception of Shiva's (but you choose the routine) and a couple of Rainbeau's shorter ones have lots of sun salutations). Available at Fitness Organica or on Tilak's website.

Also with the exception of Shiva Rea's ....none of the one's I mentioned so far are really that difficult....they are pretty moderate practices.

Now - if you want the Cathe of Power Yoga, I'd say Mark Blanchard (www.ProgressivePowerYoga.com). Not everyone likes him cuz of his lack of instruction at times, but I like him. I can only do his practices when I have a lot of time and I'm not going to lift weights or do a lot of aerobics beforehand....as most of his are 90 minutes (he does have a few 40-60 min ones in the Sedona Series). When you do one of his 90 minute ones....you don't really need another workout for that day. I remember shaking and being like jelly one day after finishing a 90 min one of his and having done P90X KenpoX prior to it.

I think my absolute fave would have to be Eion Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness - 75 min with 6 premixes varying from 30" to 75". Magically Hips premix rocks on this and is really good if you do a lot of aerobics (which makes the hips tight). I just love Eion. He's quite a character. Available at www.Vancouveryoga.com or Amazon.

Karin (like your name - by the way) - Re: Adrienne Reed DVD - I have been looking at that one and wanting it....but haven't been sure if I'd like it. Does it have a lot of twisting, bending and hip openers in it?

I'm sure there is something I forgot....but that should be good to start with!!

(The Girls over at www.Videofitness.com know their stuff about yoga. Some of them practice daily....check out the forum for more suggestions and opinions from them).

Oh - I forgot - for restorative practices, I love Rainbeau's Pure Tranquility! and Yoga in the Garden of Serenity (available at Fitness Organica).

Lora ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!!!! I have been struggling with piriformis and hip pain, so you unknowingly made some awesome suggestions for me.

I have some mild scoliosis and I see a chiropractor for maintenance once a month. I am really hoping Yoga can help.

Thanks again!

Good morning everyone!

It's nice to see so many people over here!

Michele - What a nice surprise to find you here! You know, my Japanese friend is getting interested in yoga, too, and I happened to be able to find Rainbeau's Sacred Yoga Practices here, with Japanese translation, so I bought mine at Japan Yahoo. The Dawn and Dusk series are so new that there aren't any translations of it yet (I wrote and asked her :) ), so I plan to get those from Amazon as soon as my other friend figures out his order.

I like Rainbeau for a few reasons (course, this is talking about Sacred Yoga Practices) - people say she has a hippy vibe (and that sort of scared me) but actually, I don't find she has a hippy vibe, but rather a peaceful vibe. Her practices are short and there is no dread factor in them whatsoever. The series is not trying to be hip, or cool, or different, and it has a relaxing tone to it. There are no background exercisers (which I really like).

Anyway, now I can't wait to get the Dawn and Dusk series! The woman has a thing about saying "enjoy your breath" but personally I kind of like hearing her say it (which is a good thing because she says it a lot LOL).

Karin - Did you get past the first 25 minutes of Rodney Yee? I had the same initial reaction as you - I kept watching the clock and wondering when the heck it was going to end. I pulled through and was pleasantly surprised and happy to find some great things after all those sun salutations from the 25 minute mark. And by the time I was finished, I felt incredibly...incredible.

...looks around...eyes wide-is this the same thread?! What a nice gathering going on here! :) I am tired after tonight's WO, so I will spare you my usual ramblings! I did The Method Precision Sculpting (Pilates) followed by Yoga Sculpt with Karen Voight. I'll review Yoga Sculpt tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Hi Michelle, Karin and Tammy! Welcome Back Julie! And last but NEVER least, Hi to Megadoo, Lora, August, and Yve!

Hope you guys have a great night!

Jen

I have that Rodney Yee one also and the dude with the Mohawk and shorts freaks me out! LOL.

I just wanted to say what 'till you see what Rainbeau does in Dusk. I crack up every time I do it when she does this one part. I think she's probably really cool and a good person........seems most yoga people are very decent people that are very compassionate. I like compassion....I think we don't get enough of it from others. I try to be compassionate to everyone - total strangers included!!

I'm off to bed...........see you ladies in the AM.

Hello everyone,

Wow! What a nice turnout today!
Welcome Tammy, Michelle, Karin, and welcome back Julie. Hello to Lora, August, Maeghan, and Jenn.

Today I did vinyasa at my studio - and I didn't think I was going to make it. It was a dang hard instructor...and my gosh were we all feeling it!

I also have a confession ladies! I went a little amazon.com crazy today....The truth is that I only had 2 yoga dvds....and hence rationalized that I NEEDED variety...so - cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching....

I am now awaiting the following dvds:

Eion Finn - Yoga for Happiness

Ana and Ravi - Journey thru the Chakras

Rainbeau Mars - 4 dvd set: Beginner, Pure Power, Pure Sweat, Tranquility

and two unknowns (to me) but got carried away by the great reviews.

Litsa Kapantais - Yogatopia, the art of Vinyasa Flow Power

Vincent Corry - Yoga Radiance

I don't know quite what got into me... but oh well!

I have really backed off of the cardio lately - I am not sure why as I do love cardio workouts... but for as hokey as this sounds, I feel like I am needing the yoga. So - will follow it for now.

Good night everyone.
Yve

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.