Trying To Fit Yoga In for Wed May 30

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Pyramid Lower Body followed by a 20 minute run. Only had to jump on the ellipitcal a couple minutes -- so I did pretty good. I'm not used to straight running. I also did Baron Baptiste's Unlocking Athletic Power yoga 27" and Ravi & Ana's Fat Free Yoga - Yoga Cleanse - Love Your Liver Segment with warm up 30". I'm going to try to do the Yoga Cleanse a couple of times a week because in conversing with Ana via email - she said that the liver is the organ that directly relates to the sinuses......so therefore working on detoxing my liver will help my sinus issues.

This Ravi & Ana DVD was interesting. I've only done the other segment on it before. I liked this segment better. It involves a lot of different breathing techniques, including breath of fire over curled tongue, forceful breathing thru puckered lips, etc. That "cooling breath" brings the toxins out of the liver-- especially when you twist and do it (which you do at the end of this). You even get a metallic taste on your tongue...which are the toxins coming out. I also found it quite interesting that working the liver meridian is actually better than working the liver directly. We did this one pose where you lie on your side, head propped up, grab your foot and pull your leg up into the air (like doing a hamstring stretch) and do breath of fire. YOu have to lie on your left side to do this, as the liver is on the right. We did this 3 different times with different breaths. At the end, we had to sit crossed leg and get up and stand without using your hands. Doesn't sound hard - but go ahead and try it!! It's tough!

Kel - If I look into alternative treatments for my sinuses ....are you talking about something like accupuncture or homeopathic medicine? I'm not sure we have those options around here...but I can check it out. I forgot to mention last night that the doctor also told me I have a severely deviated septum.......which doesn't surprise me given the fact how many times my nose was broken or my face bashed in when I was younger! So - where are you going on your mini vacation? Have fun. Wow - it must be nice to have a hot tub. I wish we had one!

Jen - I think my Mom is just frustrated. I think I talked her into therapy and explained why she needs it. I think a lot of her problem (besides the fact she's so independent) is the fact that she has all of these "old ladies" from the Church talking to her and they tell her stuff like ....when "so & so" had their hip surgery ...fracture...or etc....they were laid up for blah blah blah.....and then they go on with all of this negative babble which is only relative to extremely inactive, overweight people!!!! It makes ms so made. My Mom is not obese nor is she inactive! Then she got mad cuz a Visiting Nurse called her to tell her she's coming over to take her blood pressue.....which my Mom doesn't need. She thought she was supposed to get in home therapy this week. I told her to call the rehab place ....and she says....they don't care about me!! OYY!! It's their job to care and they are getting paid for it!!! (at least they all have jobs!! LOL) Yes, little Brookie is craving attention. She's sort of spoiled ....so she's not getting the attention she is used to. She's really going to have an adjustment when I go back to work.

Have a great day ladies.

I just saw this posted over at VF and thought you ladies might find this interesteting .........if you already didn't know this.

This is in regards to the Mantras in Kundalini Yoga --

"According to yoga" (to quote Ravi) ... there are 84 meridian points in your upper palate. The action of your tongue on your palate when you recite mantras stimulates those meridian points which in turn send messages to glands in your brain (pituitary, pineal) to start secreting hormones which have beneficial physical and emotional effects. Different mantras have different effects, depending upon which meridians in the palate get stimulated by the tongue.

Hi Lora & Jen & all who follow...

Sorry I haven't visited before now but I've just had a super busy day. This morning, I did the 42 minute Cardio Fusion premix & enjoyed it thoroughly since I hadn't done it in awhile. I always take a few extra minutes to cool down before the stretch so I think the whole workout ended up being a little over 45 minutes. For a slightly shorter workout, it sure packs a punch & I always end up completely drenched in sweat.

Still no yoga this week but since I've had to work a little late tonight, I think I may slip out even earlier than I planned & pop in a yoga DVD to relax & loosen up before our trip.

Lora - Great workout! I really enjoy both of the Pyramids & I only regret that it took me so long to buy them. The yoga routines you used sound really good too... especially the Ravi & Ana one. I'm really interested now. The additional information you posted about Kundalini yoga was very interesting too! I was sorry to hear that this doctor was so rigid & required you to do all that testing over again but I hope you can find some kind of treatment that will help. This is a good place to vent when you feel the need. I'm not sure if any alternative treatments will help & I was just mentioning it to think about but it sounds like you may be on to something with this new form of yoga. I hope your mom is doing better...

Jen - You asked where we swim. We have a pool & try to use it as much as possible but life doesn't always permit. I don't actually swim "real" laps but I do swim back & forth & also around the pool with a noodle, alternating the use of my upper body & lower body. So I try to get in some exercise while I relax & enjoy... but sometimes I just "veg out" completely - LOL! Great job with the home projects! I had a feeling you had gotten involved in something that used up all your time over the weekend. Hey, since you seem to know a lot about the Ripped series, I want to ask your advice. I'm thinking about doing a couple next week & I think I'll start with the Ripped 1000 on Monday since it's supposed to be more of a circuit workout. Tuesday, I'll probably do a Cathe cardio but which Ripped would you suggest for Wednesday? Which one do you like the best... RTTC or S&L? Not sure what I'll do on Friday... maybe I'll save that day for yoga or pilates for a change!

Well, I better scoot on out of here. We have a lot of laundry & some packing to do. We're heading to Nashville for some much needed R&R & I can't wait. I'm only working half a day tomorrow but I'll try to pop in for a bit if I can find the time. If not, I may not be back around until Monday.

Take care!

Hi Kel - Not Jen....but I'd do Ripped to the Core. It's my favorite. It uses compound movements so it burns more calories (thus the reason I like it). It was also in Shape as one of the Top 10 workouts of the year. So was that DVD Intensati with Patricia Moreno. Has anyone here tried that? I have it but I've only done part of it once. It's a combo of martial arts, yoga and sculpting moves and you repeat positive mantras to "get your head right". Have fun on your mini vacation if I don't talk to you again. What will you guys do for fun? Do you have an outdoor hot tub jacuzzi? I've always wanted one. You sound like you have a good set up ....a pool also. I'm envious.

Hi Jen - got your PM. You didn't have to send that much!! I apprecite it and now I'm nervous that you won't like them!! Just remember to keep an open mind and have fun.

Just got home from the doctors a bit ago and I'm eating my salad with cranberries, apples and lite Raspberry Vinagarette dressing. I made that Kashi 7-grain Pilaf that Diane Sue recommended for me for protein....and it's really good....chewy texture (sort of like barley) only they are bland. Any ideas on what to use to season them?

Hi ladies! Tonight's WO was Ripped Slim & Lean, 1000 & original shoulder segments. I actually chose 4 segments and did them twice through. The rotation did not call for cardio, but my body does if I want to see progress, so I added the 20 minute Turbo Jam workout.

Lora-Neat information on the Kundalini. I think that is so cool you talk to Ana by e-mail. Very interesting about the liver and sinuses-I never would have put those two together. I have got to get back in to Kundalini-I was on such a roll for awhile there. I still do the relaxation exercise I was telling you about (from Gurmukh's book) when I can't sleep some nights, and it still really helps. Don't worry, I think I will really like the DVDs. I wanted to send that much-thanks for thinking of me and being very generous about it! :) Wish I had some seasoning ideas for Kashi but I am season-challenged! LOL! I like cooking but it does not come naturally to me...I have to follow a recipe...no dash of this or that experimenting! Speaking of Kashi, I am enjoying the Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal mixed with Organic Grape Nuts cereal as my afternoon snack these days. I used to hate both of those cereals, but with all the awful tasting (but healthy) crap I have tried in the recent past...I actually think they taste good now!

Kel-Have a nice time on your vacation! I think I would second Lora's suggestion on RTTC. Both are good, but with RTTC you work your abs in most of the exercises too, which gives results almost as good as pilates, in terms of ab sculpting. BTW, I think I read an open forum topic about people generally thinking Jari's DVDs are a little weak on abs (particularly the ab segements at the end). I absolutely agree-Jari's ab segments do not compare in any way to Cathe abs, but Jari's philosophy is a bit different about training them. I have seen more articles lately (consistent with Jari's philosophy) about not exercising abs as much as watching diet to get results and the fact that it may take less training than people think to get their abs in shape. I think I am actually middle of the road on this debate. With any bodily improvements, I think it's a combo of both diet and exercise that get the results. OK, got off course on a bit of a tangent there! It's so facinating to me to go back and read up on Open Discussion topics after I get the DVDs, so I can see if my opinions match those of other exercisers on the boards.

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.