Trying to Fit Yoga in for Tues May 22

lorajc

Cathlete
I ended up doing Imax 3 followed by CoreMax 1 and then Ravi & Ana's Dance The Chakra's - Yoga set only (30"). I wanted to do traditional "stretchy" yoga, but I figured the Chakra work might help my interview.

I'm following the January rotation and I've been dreading my scheduled workouts. Not sure how long I can stick with this, but I want to see if it works. I'm supposed to do Gym Style Legs one day this week, but I was wondering if Butts & Gutts might be a better workout for me. Opinions anyone?

Last night I fit in and evening 30" cardio workout (moderate one) as well as a 25 minute Classical Stretch.

I'm interviewing at a Nephrology Practice on the side of town the hospitals are on (sort of farther away). It's a Secretarial job.....thank God no transcription. I hope it turns out to be "the one". I hope I get a job wearing uniforms, as I hate wearing dress clothes.

I got a Kristin McGee (of MTV yoga fame) DVD that was put out after her MTV stuff. I previewed it last night and she makes these weird smiling faces (the camera was close up too) that were freaking me out. I hope I can do it!!! LOL. Looks sort of tough with minimal closing poses..........not sure how much I'll like it. I also got Janis Saffel's Beverly Hills Pilates and Yoga. The Pilates looks interesting but the yoga ...not sure. Only one closing pose. I love closing poses in yoga!! can you telle?

Re Mom - Right now, we're hoping to get her out of there by Saturday....but she hopes the doctor lets her go....cuz if not she'll have to "walk out" and that's not really cool. She's still not getting around very well....but enough to be home with all of the proper home health care stuff. I wonder how long she'll need the walker? I'm so proud of her "pushing thru her pain" as I told her to do. She gets to a point where it's too painful to move a certain way, but I knew once she had her body in another position, the pain would subside....so I guess all of my preaching about it made her be determined to try my theory and she seems to be able to do what she needs to ....somewhat....but it takes her long and she does say it's painful. I keep telling her it will only get better, as bone's heal. She also twisted her neck when she fell and she's having bad neck and muscle pain. I told her she can have therapy on an outpatient basis for that and her leg strength, etc.

Jen - The older Shape workouts were not a big hit with me. I still have them and I mostly use the Pilates Ab routines. I haven't done much of the newer ones (are in my virgin box) but I really liked the cardio interval workout I did the other day. The music was half decent but it was very low and you can hardly hear it...but I'm sort of deaf from too many rock concerts in front of the amps!! LOL. The instructors are Tracey York, Michelle Dozois and Lisa Wheeler. I like them and think they do a good job. My virgin box is overflowing....so as soon as I'm done with this Cathe rotation, I better get my butt trying some new stuff. I sent you a PM yesterday.

Hi Kel - how's it going today?

Better go do my neck stretches so I can get ready for my interview.

Hi ladies!

I'm running a bit late on here today & I can't spend very long but I still wanted to check in for a bit anyway. This morning, I did Step Blast. I love that one but I thought it might kill me this morning. LOL! But I pushed myself, made it through the workout, & felt very good about it in then end. Cardio of any kind is definitely NOT a favorite for me but like I have said in previous posts, I really do enjoy that feeling of accomplishment (& the endorphins!) when I'm finished. Tomorrow, I need to do upper body but I don't want to do PUB since I did it last week. I'd like to keep it around 50 minutes & also include at least a little bit of cardio so here are a few options I'm considering.

1. C&W Warmup @ 5 min., 4-6 Cardio "bursts" from Boot Camp, C&W Compound & Heavy Weights P/M @ 37 min., C&W Cooldown @ 4 minutes for a total of 50-52 minutes. I really like the heavy upper body weight work from this DVD so I thought that might be good enough for an upper body workout & since the premix also includes compound work, my lower body would still get a little too.

2. ME Upper Only @ 43 minutes, plus 7-10 cardio "bursts" from BC for a total of 50-53 minutes.

3. PUB Up only @ 42 minutes, plus 8-10 cardio "bursts" from BC for a total of 50-52 minutes.

4. HST Cardio & Upper Body P/M @ 35 minutes & add some abs since this one doesn't include any for a total of around 45 minutes & for a slightly shorter workout too.

5. Another variation of option #1, using only the 18 minutes Heavy Upper Body Weights section & adding the C&W abs & 15 minute Kick Max Boot Camp section for a total of about 45-50 minutes.

What do you think? Do any of those sound especially good? Like I said, I don't really want to do PUB again but I will if it ends up being my best choice.

Lora - I know what you mean about the closing poses. They can be some of the most important & restorative poses in the practice so I think they should be long enough in order to really get the benefit from doing them. Sounds like your mom is still having a rough time but you are there for her & you're giving her very good advice so I hope everything works out for her to get back home this weekend. Good luck with the interview today!

Jen - You've got me pumped to try those Jari Love workouts so now I just need to tear myself away from Cathe for a week or two. I'll let you know what I think when I try them.

I was going to fit in some yoga during lunch today but I was too hungry so I just went downstairs & ate instead. Maybe tomorrow. Well, I wrote WAY more than I intended & I need to head out for another jobsite meeting... outside in this hot weather. Like Jen said yesterday, UGH! So I better get going. I hope everyone has a great afternoon & I'll check back in a little later...

Kel - what do you do for a living? what city are you in? Step Blast is one of my favorite Cathe step workouts. I like the step parts in Imax 3 also....but I need to brush up on them. If you want to tear yourself with Cathe.........do what I did to make me tear myself away. I did a large number of Cathe rotations after discovering her and becoming obssessed. Then I burned out on her and gosh....haven't used her workouts until now for a long time!! I really feel my body needs the variety of multiple instructors. I seemed to get used to every Cathe workout. I still think nobody else does weights like Cathe. Oh...and regarding Jari Love, I need to listen to my own music when I do her DVDs. I can't stand the music or her constant "coddling"......."you can do it"......blah...blah ...blah. Not much grates on my nerves, but she does for some reason.

Not sure how the job interview went. I swear that I hate those "text book" interview questions all of them ask you (sorry Jen!!...I know you're in HR). The one good thing is that I knew the lady that interviewed me (and she would be my boss). I worked at the one hospital (my first hospital job that I started working at 20 years ago until I was downsized after 10 years). I really like her also. I can see getting along with her and heck, she's a Libra....so I'm sure she's fair!! I was the first person she interviewed and she has interviews for the rest of the week and then they will be calling back the finalists for second interviews with the Director and a Clerical Staff member next week. The one downside of the job is the fact that there may be travel required to the Satellite offices that are about 45 minutes away from my home in the future. I wouldn't turn the job down because of that....as it's only a possibility....not certain.

Gotta go take care of some stuff around here. Hope to fit a Classical Stretch in tonight, as well as work out some of my horrid spasms on the foam roller.

Yoga Ladies - just got the newsletter from Yogajournal.com. Thought I'd share this tidbit......

Aligning Your Efforts

You work hard at your practice. But are you aligning your efforts off the mat to get the most mileage from your yoga?

Yoga serves as a purification process for the body, mind, and spirit. In your physical practice, you?re stimulating the lymphatic system to remove toxins from the body. To sustain this cleansing effect, a little consciousness about what you put in?and on?your body goes a long way.

The most obvious consideration is diet. To keep both your body and the planet cleaner, try to eat organically and locally as much as possible. Also this week, learn to be watchful of the beauty products you use, and see how yours measure up on a toxicity meter from the Environmental Working Group. Shine naturally with some Ayurvedic beauty enhancers, and sleep better knowing you?ve banished the chemicals from both your household cleaners and your bedding.

Namaste,

I like Ayurvedic skin care, but I hardly have time to shop for organic foods. Do any of you?

Hi again, Lora. I wanted to pop in here one more time before leaving so I could answer your questions. I do something that most people have never even heard of before... I design special shaped brick for a large brick manufacturer. They are units that would be located above or below windows (arches or sills), custom corner units (like bay windows), step tread, wall caps, & various other features in brick construction. I also design brick structures like mailboxes, signs, & other types of special brick features. Today, I had to go out to a jobsite to make some field measurements for a brick fountain feature located at a fossil site owned by a local university. I live & work in Northeast Tennessee. I like what I do (most of the time;)) & truly LOVE where I live, in the hills of the Appalachian mountains. I'm originally from California, though.

Anyway, I'm not at that "burned out" point with Cathe... yet. I'm still at the stage where I can't wait to do one of her workouts & I have to literally force myself to do the others, even though I usually enjoy them once I get started. I have previewed at least one of the Jari Love DVDs, though, & I can totally understand what you're saying about her. But I have heard some good things regarding results from her workouts so I definitely need to give them a try sometime. By the way, you've really got me wanting some new yoga DVDs! But I guess I should get back into using the ones I have a little more before I buy any more. I definitely want to get some Eric Schiffman, Shiva Rhea, Eionn Finn, & maybe some Ravi & Ana too. There are so many good ones out there, I know.

I hope you get that job opportunity if you want it, Lora. So what's it like where you live? What kind of things do you enjoy doing in your spare time (I know you don't have much of that right now because of the situation with your mom)? I've seen you mention music & concerts quite a bit. My DH & I love to go see live music & we enjoy a huge range of different types of music too. One of his favorites of all time is Black Sabbath (seems like you mentioned them in a previous post?) & we saw them in a reunion tour at one of the Ozzfests a few years ago. We also like Buckcherry but have never seen them live. We also enjoy many other "heavier" bands, classic rock, the music of Jimmy Buffett, blues, & bluegrass too.

Thanks for the information from your Yoga Journal newsletter. Great information & true, I'm sure. Like you, I don't have the opportunity to shop organically most of the time (probably mostly due to the fact that this is a smaller area population-wise) but I will choose those types of products when available. This time of the year is great, though, because there are lots of farmers markets with lots of fresh produce everywhere you look. We also plant a garden of our own & don't use any kinds of pesticides or anything on it.

Jen - I hope you have (had) a good day! Maybe we'll get a chance to "talk" more tomorrow...

Take care!

Kel - organic is downright expensive too! I just bought some Kashi 7-Whole Grain Pilaf online, as Diane Sue at Hardcore said it was good for dinner and is an excellent protein source. I also ordered a box of the Go Lean Crunch cereal. Hope I like it. So - you design bricks - that's quite interesting. Are you an Architech? Do you get to wear jeans to work?

Tennessee? I'm in Northeastern Ohio - Youngstown. It's sort of a "depressed area". We were huge with Steel Mills back in the 70's and when the Mills all pulled out of town...this down became somewhat lacking in the job market. It is a small city....not small town, but small city. We have a concert arena that holds about 8,000 peeps and a State University, etc. There are 2 major hospitals in the immediate area. The weather stinks here. It is always cloudy, rainy or dreary. We go from extreme cold Winters to extremely hot/humid summers. I hate the humidity.

I think you would enjoy trying those yoga DVDs. If you go with RAvi & Ana, I'd get one to start, as Kundalini is VERY different than traditional yoga. I would recommend trying Yoga Beauty Body or Yoga Bliss Hips as a first try. You can get one of Eion's DVDs at Amazon and Shiva's at Amazon or better yet, CDUniverse which is even cheaper. Eric's are only available thru his website.
Besides working out in my spare time, I love being on the computer, mostly fitness forum's and the Black Phoenix perfume oil site. I also sell my sample pack oils on a couple Forum's to make extra money for what else?....more oils!!! LOL. I'm addicting to them. The aromatherapy helps with my depression. I like reading, playing with my cats and my DH & I enjoy going to the movies every weekend. It's part of normal routine. We also enjoy Vegas! (however, after our last trip.....I have no clue as to why!! only gained weight not money last trip).
Gosh.......music is (and always has been) a huge passion for me! I should have probably played an instrument, as I don't listen to music like the average person. I really get " a lot more" from it! I've been into hard rock ever since my first album, Black Sabbath - War Pigs....the one I bought when the parents thought I was into Devil Worship. I used to love the Stones and Aerosmith, but now my fave's are Chili Peppers and Buckcherry. I also really like Seether, Nickelback and a few other newer bands like Shinedown. I LOVE LOVE LOVE going to live concerts....however, my DH is turning into a real stick in the mud. He says we're too old to go to concerts and he never wants to go! Bums me out BIG TIME!! He also doesn't like me to go alone or go with anyone else. Buckcherry is THE BEST band to see live. The best way to see them is right up front so they're in your face. They are wild, a bit raunchy and always pour their heart and soul into their shows. Have you ever seen what they look like? I share pic's over at hardcore a lot.. ....let me go find a couple pics of the lead singer for you. I'm sort of bummed that they are touring with Hinder on the next leg of the Tour and they are starting to play Amphitheatres versus the smaller clubs they were playing. No more front row.........."in your face Buckcherry!!".

Hi ladies! Chatty today! I guess I will be the short poster. Tonight's WO was Ripped shoulder track (both lateral raise and front raise). That's all the rotation called for but I really feel like I need cardio at least 5 days a week, so I added Body Fusion and bumped up to 2 risers on my step. That felt really high, as I normally use the platform or 1 riser on the more advanced WOs. My triceps are sore from the back work yesterday. The track I picked used back but also used triceps as a stabilzer so I am really feeling it. I thought about adding yoga to the end of the shoulder work, but my "friend" cardio won out this time.

Lora-Haven't checked the pm yet, but I will read and get back to you. Good to know about the more recent Shape WOs-I will see if Netflix has them. Good news about your mom! I am sure she will recover so much faster at home. Good luck with the Nephrology practice job-sounds like a good prospect. Don't worry about the interviewing. I know the questions are tedious, but they really tell a lot about a person and a good company will spend a lot of time during the hiring process. (Don't forget you can grill them, too! :) You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.) Hope the benefits are good. Any idea if they will reimburse mileage for your travel to the satellite locations? That is funny about Kristen's weird smiling faces during the video...I can totally imagine that!

Kel-The first time I previewed Ripped, I was so turned off I did not do it and sent it back to Netflix. Some people were talking about what a good workout it was, so I requested it again and actually tried it and that's when I got hooked. I think of the options you have listed, I like # 1 for the same reasons you wrote....good, strong upper body work on that one. The others are good also, so you may just have to let your mood dictate your choice. It sounds like you and your DH have a great time together and enjoy many similar interests. How long have you been married?

Have a great night everyone! Off to put my calories in Fit Day before I go to bed. My co-workers tried to convince me not to eat my usual lunch because some rep is bringing in Macaroni Grill tomorrow. x( }( x( Macaroni Grill is certainly a "worth it" cheat, but my weigh in is Thursday and I don't want to blow it.

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.