Trying to Fit Yoga in for Sunday Nov 12

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I have to go into work for a few hours so I'm taking a forced rest day. I only did Rainbeau Mars Yoga for Beauty - Dusk series followed by Amy Bento's Stretch #1. I want to try to get some Kundalini in later today.

I was able to do a couple segments of Kundalini last night. I did Fat Free Yoga - Lose Weight & Feel Great - Low Impact Aerobics Segment and Your Life is in Your Own Glands Segment. We did some alternating knee ups with hand movements and breathing, cat with breath of fire, cow with breath of fire, piston pose, and then some breathing and arm movements as well as a few other things that I can't remember.

August - Did you find your language button? I was thinking about it and I think you set ours by pressing the program button?? Just a thought.

Megadoo - Doesn't Rainbeau crack you up on that DVD when she's cradling her leg and rocking it and she tells the other girl to kiss her foot!! That girl's so funny!! With a name like Rainbeau Mars - do you think her parents were hippies??

Jen - I have been working out daily for about 19-20 years. I got clean around that time and it became a big part of my life. I need it for my sanity and to stay clean today! Videofitness is another Forum I frequent besides Cathe's. I've learned an awful lot from the ladies over there regarding Yoga. Some of them are pretty heavy into yoga and that's the only form of exercise some of them do (besides cardio). I've never watched that bonus DVD in Yoga Shakti. I suppose I should. However, Rainbeau Mars does a flow practice before and after her classes on DVD and she is pretty amazing also. I always let the DVD play when I'm finished cuz it's intriguing to watch her and I love the music on that DVD (I keep saying that -- don't I?). Do you like the music on Yoga Shakti? I really like it ....especially the music during the Dancing Warrior segment. I've got the CD coming from Amazon also so I can listen to it with my other yoga practices. I also have Sara Ivanhoe's Beauty Makover Yoga Set (or whatever it's called). My favorite one is the Power Beauty Sweat one. I've never done the one with the hand weights.

Well - I've got to go get ready for work. I'll be back later. If I missed responding to anyone's questions, I'll answer later cuz I've got to get my butt in the shower.

ETA: Here's what I forgot - Amy Bento's Website is www.NRGfitness.net

Hi, Lora and everyone,

How's work going? Are you able to log on from work?

Yes, tonight I was finally able to figure out my DVD player LOL. I'm used to seeing a language section on the menu, but this DVD doesn't have one, and I needed to use the "switch language" button on the remote control. Is that what you mean by the program button? If it is, then you were right!

And so I tried my Total Yoga Earth. Now, the only thing I have to compare it to is Sara Ivanhoe, so needless to say I found it a bit dry and flat. I had a harder time following it for the first time than I did with Joy of Yoga, but then there were a lot more new things in it, too, and I was concentrating on the breathing more. I liked the detailed breathing instruction at the beginning.

One thing I realized about my apartment - I have no wall space! But I was able to put my legs up against a counter.

Anyway, Earth was relaxing, but I think I'll need to do it a few times to really get into it. I found myself surprised a couple times still doing a move that had finished before I got a chance to glance at the screen again.

Still no luck with the Kest one :-( .

But it's great to be able to be doing other yoga than just the Dummies one! :p

All right I'm off! Have a great Sunday everyone!

Good morning,

I did Shiva Rea's matrix, a mish mash for about 30 minutes. This is a beautiful DVD, her voice is soooo soothing. Felt good to open my hips. I wish my hips on the outside were as tight as they are in the joints. I just need to do more.

Lora, hope you have a good day at work and hope you don't have to stay there very long.

August, glad you've gotten to do some of your new yoga tapes. Hopefully, you'll get Bryan's working. Wish I could help you.

Must run and get ready for my bike ride.

Jeanette

Hello Ladies,

Hope everyone is well.

I haven't been doing any yoga - or exercise the last few days -
I have a cousin who just flew in from overseas - and she is staying with me.. So I've been doing the tourist thing for the last few days.

Its really nice getting reacquainted with her - and doing all of the social type things - but boy - I am already worrying about all the eating! I'm feeling the apple-cinnamon-bun-for breakfast guilt today.

Lora - I believe you asked me about Seane Corn the other day...I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I bought her tape through amazon.ca. She leads a vinyasa workout.

She also has a website - Seanecorn.com

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. I will do my best to check-in later.

Yve

Yve - Yes, I found both....but can you tell me what you like about her and what sort of poses you can expect. Someone on Amazon says she moves slow and is a nervous person. Can you comment?

Lora- yes!! I thought it was hilarious that she kissed her toes!! The question...do you kiss yout toes???? LOL!!! Isn't that such a good one. I can't wait to get Dawn too.

Hello to everyone else!! I haven't done my WO yet. Just did a 30 min STEEP incline fast walk on my TM last night. Wanted to give the joints a break from any jarring moves.

I will come back later after my WO. Not sure what to do yet.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Hi All! Tonight's workout was Low Impact Circuit Cardio Timesaver Premix. I only did it with the platform since it was my first time through-still worked up quite a sweat. The choreography was not as scary as I thought it would be-what a relief! :p I followed it with GS shoulders, twice through, changing it up on the second time through by lowering the weight slightly and omitting the bandwork. My abs were a slight bit sore today from the Pilates yesterday. I was caught off guard by this, since it was only 10 minutes-again, I think it's just because it works it so differently than the traditional crunches. I really, really liked LIC-it was actually very fun and I hardly ever say that about cardio. ;-)

August-Awwwww shucks! Still no Kest! I think he owes you a private lesson! (Just make him wear a wig-anything to get the long hair back!) So there are Star Trek puppet clothes on the Iron Yoga DVD (LOL)! I thought I had seen everything...I better look at the preview again with my glasses on! I may have to set my phaser to stun on that one! :) I do have a small humidifier in my house, but it is not in the workout room when I have the heater on. I don't heat the room up as high as Bikram temperature, but I do set up the heater about 30 minutes before I go in the room to let the temperature come up a little. It really helps you go deeper in the stretches!

Jeanette-How was your bike ride? How far did you go? I hope you had beautiful weather to enjoy it!

Megadoo-Hope you had a good workout!

Yve-I am sure I have never met an Apple Cinnamon Bun I didn't like! That sounds delish! I say go with the flow-an overseas visit doesn't sound like it happens too often-enjoy yourself! Heck, I give you permission to have another one for me!

Lora-WOW! 19 to 20 years! That is awesome! No wonder you have such a fitness library built up! You have to have a ton of variety to keep up the motivation for that long. I can't believe you have any worries getting on the scale! I am so surprised you haven't watched the bonus footage on Shiva, are you in for a treat! Her solo flow is facinating enough, but it also contains interview clips with Jai Uttal, Ana Forrest, and other BIG yoga names. Some of them are way, way out there! I do really, really love the Shiva music. Is the CD called the same thing as the DVD? The music really sticks with me for a long time after the workout is over. I would definately purchase the CD. Have you seen the CD for the music for Yoga Trance Dance? I love that music, too!

I spent a long time on Netflix today trying to find more cardio to try out. I put a lot of Christi Taylor and a couple of Seasun's DVDs in my queue based on what you guys have talking about. I also put in some Kundalini yoga and other types. They did not have Rainbeau Mars Dusk, but they had some others of hers.

I forgot to ask-Does anyone have the Ali McGraw DVD Yoga Mind and Body with Erich Schiffmann? It is one of my very faves!

Jen

Jen! I figured out the show that reminds me of the sample from Iron Man.

It's not Star Trek, it's this:

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/thunderbirds.jpg

LMAO! This is totally what I see when I see the snippet at Collage!

As you know, I don't have either of the yogas you mentioned : McGraw or Schiffmann, though I've read so many reviews about how so many people love them. I saw a sample of the McGraw one and from that I wondered if I might not like it. I've gone to Schiffman's homepage, but since he has no samples up, and he looks like a guy in a Ween album liner notes, I haven't looked much into him. Recently I've been reading a lot about someone named Mark Blanchard. I think that's his name.

But before that, I've got to get this Kest to play! LOL.

I did do Fat Burning Yoga (Crunch) last night and liked it a lot.

ETA : I posted the link, but it seems the actual photo was pasted! ROTFLMAO! This is a photo of the classic TV show, The Thunderbirds Iron Yoga LOL.

Hi Lora,

I like that this DVD is very instructional in nature. She explains in alot of detail about proper form - for every pose. She also spends a great deal of time talking about the spiritual side of yoga. She is somewhat slower than Shiva Rea - but I wouldn't say she is easy.

I am still at a point in my practice where I need the instruction from her - especially when I am doing yoga on my own at home. What I like is that I can listen to her dvd, follow what she says - and not look up at the screen/strain my neck - I only double check to make sure my alignment is correct.

Her 'talk' is quite spiritual and uplifting - she is actually teary at the end of the dvd - But it is not the kind of 'experience' you would get doing Yoga Shakti as the waves come in from the ocean and the spirituality is felt in the silence - the soothing tone of her voice - and the sound of the water.

But having said all that - my experience with vinyasa has been either in a class setting - or with the 2 dvds that I own.. Shiva and Seane. I don't have a huge basis for comparison - but I do enjoy her style.

Hope that helps - Yve

Oh Jen - Just twist my rubber arm then!
The buns are dang good! :9

Thanks for the review of Low Impact Cardio...it sounds like a great workout. Gym Style Shoulders twice!! - yowza - That is amazing. I wish I could burn these calories vicariously through you ;)

Have a great evening.
Yve

I just reread my post about Schiffmann and realized that many people probably have no idea what Ween is, and so then it sounds like I might be dissing the man :-( .

So I thought I would come back to say that what Ween is, is a really bizarre, sort of underground music group.

Which I guess still makes it sound like I'm dissing Schiffmann! It's not intentional if it sounds that way.

Anyway, I agree wtih Yve. Any workout done twice in a row is yowza!

And uh, no comment on the sticky buns. :9

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.