Trying to Fit Yoga in For Sat May 12

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

I ended up picking a workout out of my "not yet touched" box. I did The Firm Ultimate Fat Burner. It's 40" long, but I only did 30" of it (skipped a couple of the light weight sections) and then I did Xflowsion Live in Hollywood 1 hour and 23". I added a bit more impact to the cardio and burned 190 calories in the 30" and then I left my HR Monitor running during Xflowsion and at the end of Xflowsion, it read 480 calories.

I also did Calm Down Dog 27" last evening before bed and I really liked it. I think I like the music slightly better on the non-live ones (which are Calm Down Dog, Body Blast and Ab Blast).

I was pleasantly surprised with this Firm workout. It was fun. Easy coreography so next time, I can listen to my own music, but the music wasn't terrible.

Xlfowsion - Well, it's different and I'm sure the reviews will be mixed. I liked it but I was a bit uncomfortable doing it in front of my husband when he came in the house after his run. He was standing there watching the TV and it was a free form dance segment and I was embarrassed. He asked "what is this....dance yoga?". Anyway, if he wasn't walking thru, I'd have liked it a lot more (won't do Trance Dance in front of him either).

It had a good mix of yoga, martial arts and dance. I liked the one dance segment where we jumped around and played and there was one where we ran with high knees and one spurt where we just grooved and danced (actually a few of those). I sweated thru most of the workout, however, my HR only elevated to around 110-115 until the jumping and running parts when it elevated to about 140.....so all in all, it would burn a few calories, but not be a "cardio" workout per se.

The one thing I really liked was how you "wag your tail" in table position. Felt really really good on the spine. He has you move around in different yoga postions like Chair pose (dancing chair) and up dog which felt good. I basically listened to him and did "my own thing" versus watching the screen and following anyone else during those segments. I did what felt good to my body and then later in the workout, he said that you should be doing exactly that! He does chatter non stop, so if that annoys you, you won't like him. He's like Bryan Kest....but his chatter goes a little beyond what Bryan talks about. It's all stuff we need to hear....but I'm not quite sure everyone will WANT to hear all of that.

The other thing that might bother some is the fact that he wears an awfully large turquoise pendant in the Live in Hollywood one and it's sort of gawdy. I believe we all have the right to express ourself with our jewelry and if that's what he likes, more power to him. I don't judge people based on things like that. We are all unique. I like his philosophy so I look past that.

The one thing that I did not really like is at the end when we're in Shavasana, he broke out a guitar and sang and played a song (inspired by his daughters). I couldn't help but think he had an alterior (spelling??) motive for that....being that it's Live In Hollywood...however, again, I do not judge. That being said, I think it would have been better to concentrate on relaxing my muscles.

Oh, and I had time to add plough and shoulderstand into the end of the practice....as there is a brief pause where you squeeze your knees into your chest and stay there for a few breaths, so I was happy about that. I liked that he held a few of the stretches long at the end. My hammy's needed that. He also held some balancing postures, side angle, etc during the active part ...sort of long and my legs were already fried. OKAY...was that a mouthful or what?

Anyone with pets get any of those new toys they have out with microchips in them? I guess it's the latest thing. We have a mouse that squeeks when you bat at it and a bird that chirps when you bat it. I always crack up when I hear Brookie playing with them. It's hilarious. She goes crazy with them.

I'm so excited cuz my Mom gave me a Mother's Day card (from my cats) and she had a couple pic's of my Dad blown up to 5x7's. They are old black & whites. One is him in his school football uniform in the hike position and the other one is him at age 30 doing what he was passionate about ....fishing...with a bunch of fish hooked on a line at a State Park in Ohio. My Dad was so handsome and I miss him so. He died when I was 17 back in 1977. I already purchased frames for them and can't wait to put them out.

Have a great rest day or workout everyone. I think we're going to see The Invisible today. I have no idea what to expect. I wish I had to list stuff on Ebay today, but no can do since they banned decants. I'm not really making money without selling on Ebay...need to think of some alternatives.

SORRY this is SO LONG!!!! You ladies should know about my transcriptionist fingers by now!! LOL

ETA: the martial arts segments were a bit slow and I sped them up and then he actually said to go as fast as you want.

Hi ladies. Woke up sick this morning. The stress of the week has finally taken its toll. I could tell it was starting last night while I was fighting sleep previewing those workouts. I probably will rest today-I can tell my body needs a break and tomorrow will be a busy family day from start (buying presents, cooking) to finish (lots of driving both ways).

So, the DVDs I previewed.....I previewed the Bootcamp one first. Wow...Alison talks very fast. The workout was alternating segments of cardio, plyo, and compound weight exercises. The choreography looked easy to follow and it seemed like the range of options was good-you can make this one as easy or hard as you want to. There wasn't anything particularly unique to the workout. I thought the music left a lot to be desired. It's sorta house, jazz, dance, but with more of an easy listening feel to it that was a little off putting to my listening ear. I am looking forward to doing this workout because I think it will be a good, non-complex choreography fat burner. There are just days when you need those and I don't have nearly enough in my workout collection.

Janis Saffell's WO looked pretty good as well. It's amazing that someone with a great body like hers can look so bad in the wrong outfit. She is very tiny and her hips are the biggest part of her. She was wearing some bright red skinny pants that tapered to the bottom and they were not flattering on her. (Not that that is a big deal-it is more about the workout she offers, but it is a bit distracting.) I typically don't care for the music Janis selects and there was no exception here. The workout itself looked a little faster paced than most of her other workouts. I think it will provide a very good sweat. She doesn't give as much instruction-there is the expectation that you have kickboxing experience coming in to this workout. There were quite a few moves I had already seen from her 10 min QF Cardio Kick workout. I like that one and wish it were longer....I think this workout just might fulfill that wish.

Lora- "That being said I think it would have been better to concentrate on relaxing my muscles." LOL! Very well said! Sounds like xflowsion is good. Like yoga but for those who want to feel like they are working a little harder. I really like Bryan Kest (the talker) and Steve Ross (encourages dance in chair poses, etc.) so I bet I would like the DVDs a lot. Great review! Thanks for taking the time to post all the details. Nope, no toys with microchips-my dogs would have that apart in about 2.6 seconds. My bigger dog gets obsessed with anything that squeeks. He is not satified until the squeeker has been removed! What a touching Mother's Day gift from your mom! My aunt recently gave me all the family pictures that she had in her garage. I need to go through them and put some up. Do you have a special place in mind to hang those pictures of your dad?

Have a great day everyone! I am going to try to relax and nap as much as possible today to give my body a fighting chance. Hate to spend the weekend sick!!!!! I'll check back later.

Jen - I meant to tell you to post on the Hardcore thread with your question about muscle mass and fat loss. I know I've heard the ladies there talk about working on the 2 as separate rotations. For instance, doing a "bulk up" muscle building rotation and then afterwards, doing a fatloss. I just read an article in Oxygen about this very thing...but the end of it made no sense. The results from the studies only showed that it's easier for overweight people to lose a large percent of both at the same time and the less you have to lose, the harder it is to do both at once (which wasn't good for me to hear). I seem to just become a smaller version of myself when I lose weight. Too bad you can't arrange your body the way you'd like it!! LOL.

Lora-Thanks for the tip on the Oxygen Magazine article. I will check it out......assuming I have finished boycotting/pouting over their February issue. :D I will be going to Target to shop tomorrow, so I can pick it up while I am there. Is it the May issue or the June issue? Just want to make sure I am getting the right one.

Just woke up to eat so my metabolism doesn't get screwed up with skipping meals. Back to bed....will check back later!

Jen

Jen - sorry...but I am behind in my reading. It was the April issue. I love Oxygen so I read everything in them and they take me longer to read than a lot of magazines. I would pick it up anyway, as it always has good stuff in it. Forget about being mad at them. It's not worth it. You can tell I did Xflowsion today. Sorry to hear you're sick. I feel for you. When you're feeling better, I need to talk to you about something.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.