Trying to Fit Yoga in for Mon Nov 13

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Amy Bento All Pump Extreme Legs & Core Premix. The DVD stated this premix was 55"....but it took me 75" minutes to complete?? I did pause a few times to get my band or weight adjusted ...but it didn't equal that long of a time!! I wasn't expecting that. This was a good premix. Started out with multijoint weights segment and moved into 2 large sets of legs followed by core. We did one legged balance squats, hack squats, curtsy/side lunge combos and more. The core work is done standing with a dumbbell and then she goes to the floor and does plank walks with pike ups with gliding discs, as well as plank, side plank and crab combo followed by slide outs with the gliding discs on our hands (this may have strained by shoulders). I wore my HR monitor and burned 430 calories. My HR stayed moderately elevated throughout. I actually enjoyed this workout a little.......I hate to say that....cuz I really hate to work my legs. My legs are fatigued.

I had planned in my head what I wanted to accomplish this week with working out and had my mind set.......and then I remembered I have a doctor's appt Wed and I can only work out for 20-25 minutes on Wed. Now I'm all screwed up!

I also fit some yoga in last night. I did Kundalini with Ravi & Ana 1.5 segments from Beginners and Beyond. I first did the 5 Tibetan Rites and this was a bit strenuous for doing late at night. I wasn't expecting that. We did washing machine for the liver (twisting), going up and down from table pose continuously, leg lifts, going from down dog into up dog continuously and camel pose with breath of fire, as well as some other stuff. The 5 Tibetan Rites are believed to keep you healthy and help you live a long life.

Jen - I'll have to watch that Shiva DVD. The audio soundtrack is called Yoga Shakti and it's available at Amazon. I also found the soundtrack that Rainbeau uses in her Dawn/Dusk series (thanks to the email she sent me). I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. It's a double CD by Jai Utal: Kirtan - The Art & Practice of Ecstatic Chant. You can preview the songs at Amazon to see if you like them. I can't wait to try my other yoga DVDs to my new music I wish it would get here already.

Have a great day ladies - I'll try to check in from work.

Hiya, urgh, I hate leg day. But I sure do love DOMS in my legs. Or like when I squeeze the muscles in my legs after leg day and I feel a rush of blood through them, and then for a moment I feel exhausted and then suddenly really energized.

Jeez, that Amy workout sounds killer. Pikes with gliding discs? Good gawd!

You know, Lora, every time you talk about the Kundalini workouts, I get more and more excited! I want to do the washing machine! LOL! Gosh, I wonder when my Kundalini will arrive. I can't remember the last time I've been so excited to get a package.

Well, I did Total Yoga Original, and wow, it did not take long for me to take a liking to this series! I totally loved the workout. I really needed it, too. There were a bunch of new poses that were really awesome - the one with your knees over each other (is this camel?) and twisting, and the one with your legs up and over your head (I think it's plow?) And the shoulder stand was totally great. A lot of this workout didn't have any music in it, and I was surprised to find that I didn't miss it. I was so much more easily able to concentrate on my breathing (and snorting during down dog LOL).

I also loved some of the advanced moves they showed, and tried them out just for fun - the really twisty ones where you twist your arm around and through stuff. Love it!

I was kind of nervous about the spinal rolls at the beginning - not sure just how much force to put into them and how far back on my neck to roll.

I also feel that my breathing in and out takes longer than the instructor (also with Ivanhoe) and I wonder if I need to be breathing as full, but more quickly? What do you guys think?

August - my breathing is different also, as I have asthma so I have a shortened exhale. I need to breathe differently for pilates also. Just try to relax and relax your diaphragm and really relax and breathe deep in the poses to get that stretch working. You'll get used to it. Lots of twisting, huh? Sounds like my kind of workout. I totally love twisting, forward bending and hip openers. .....if it has a lot of those, I'm all over it. I think the Water one is the Total Yoga one I have, but I haven't done it yet. I'm off to work.

Morning, all! Just catching up from last night. August-OMG! I was not expecting a visual on the outfits and almost choked on my oatmeal from laughing so hard this morning!

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

Just wanted to pop in and say that I hope you all have a great day & great workouts! I will BBL tonight after my WO!

jen

Yve - does the Seane Corne DVD have a lot of twisting, forward bends, and hip openers in it? Which one do you have? What's the music like?

So, I have this Cardio kickbox video from Jillian Micheals, (Biggest Loser) and I had never done it. SO I threw it in today for something different, and surprisingly I worked up a good sweat, and it was only 25 min. I liked all the moves. BUT, I was irked when we had to stop in the middle so she could pull her hair back. I was like WTF?? She actually made everyone wait! That and I swear her pants keep looking like they will fall off any minute since she wears them so low. But, hey, she can! SO, I like it for a quick cardio WO.
I then threw in Jari's RTTC, and did 9 of the 11 segments. Atleast I think it is 11. I skipped 2, since I was focusing more on UB. I got a real good burn going. Good WO.

August= I loved the pic yesterday! HIlarious. OUt of curiosity, do you like Star Trek? I am a Trekkie! LOL!!! And yes, I hope you get the Kundalini's soon, so we can start it somewhat together.

Lora- just in case you missed it in the other thread, I sent you mail today. I also really seem to enjoy the hip openers. I seem to have decent flexibility there. I need to work more on my hamstring flexibility though.

Jen- no more choking lady LOL!!! I agree, I cracked up too, luckily I wasn't eating!!

Netta- what do you do during the winter in place of your bike riding? I bet Yoga really helps with the legs huh?

Hi YVE and everyone else!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Lora - Yeah, I'm all over the twisty moves! The Original Total Yoga was really nice and twisty, although of course this is the only other yoga workout I've tried besides ones by Sara Ivanhoe, so comparatively speaking, whether or not there's a lot of twisty stuff in it or not, it's hard to say. But I really enjoyed the practice.

Jen - So glad you enjoyed the picture over oatmeal. I went over to Collage and watched the preview again just so that I could get another glimpse of The Thunderbirds in action LOL.

Megadoo - The woman stops mid-workout to...fix her hair? How odd! Is that supposed to be kept in there to give it a "natural" feel or what?! As for Star Trek, I love the original series and have seen them all many times, but I'm not familiar with stuff outside of Kirk and Spock. What an awesome show. Are you an all-series Trekkie?

August- yes, I like them all. The Next Generation and Voyager are my favorite. I used to watch the original with my mom all the time.
Yeah, Jillian Micheals has her own style. Did you ever see her in the Biggest Loser last year? She is a tad annoying for me, but it was a decent WO, something different. I will just remember to keep doing jumping jacks next time LOL!!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

I live overseas so I don't get that TV show, but I did see a couple episodes off of a video a friend sent me, so I have seen Jillian Micheals once or twice. And of course, there were suddenly all these new workouts by her on Collage, but from what I remember, the reviews weren't all that raving. Maybe it's because she had to take breaks to fix her makeup? LOL

Evening, all! Tonight's workout was Drill Max Cardio Blast Premix and GS Biceps. I completely ran out of gas right in the middle of GS Biceps-my stomach started growling fiercely, I swear I heard it say "you expected me to do this on a snack of an apple and a rice cake with natural peanut butter, NOT!" I think the Drill Max burned up my snack and I had nothing left for the weight work. My tush was already slightly sore from LIC yesterday- I know I will be feeling it tomorrow! For me, Drill Max will be a DVD to grow with-that's for sure. I am starting to wonder whether growing with it is a good thing or not.

Lora-What!?! There is an enjoyable leg workout out there? This I must experience! I have previewed some of Jai Uttal's music. Even though I love the music he did on Shiva's DVD, his albums alone did not speak to me as much. Just didn't feel ready for some of it. I ohly have one chanting CD I love. It's by Donna DeLory and it's called the Lover and the Beloved. It has a 'pop' base to it and some beats to it, which it makes it a little catchy and mainstream listener friendly. Her website is www.donnadelory.net.

Megadoo-What!?! Pause for putting her hair up?!? Only Cindy Crawford gets away with that one! (Hope you get that reference! Did you have her exercise DVDs with Radu? There's a part where she pauses to put her hair up, so you can better see what she is doing. I must confess I still love them-improper form and all-the music is still great today. Those 2 DVDs are my exercise guilty pleasure!) Is Jillian's personality that obnoxious on the DVDs. I had them in my Netflix queue but people spoke about her so negatively, I deleted them off. Should I give her a chance? What is the music like in her workouts?

August-What!?! I have to say that when you mentioned Ween, I did not know who they were, but the image of DEVO came into my head. Is that far off the mark? As far as the yoga breathing goes-here's my take on it....I generally just breathe naturally and at my own pace at first and master remembering to breath and not hold my breath in each pose. Once I can breathe comfortably throughout all the poses, I try to extend the inhale and exhale more. I don't attempt to force my breath to coincide with the instructor-if you think about it, forcing the breath causes you to breathe unnaturally and causes a slight "stress" register in the body. Of course, in some yoga styles, poses are linked with the breath and it is important to try to connect them for a more deepened practice experience, but any stress you create is counteracting the relaxing effects of the practice. Relaxation should not just be at the end of the practice, it should be thoughout the practice. It's awesome when you get to this stage because then you are truly in the present and not anticipating what "dreaded pose" comes next. It doesn't matter because you feel like you can handle it. If I keep up my practice, my breath naturally deepens over time and long inhales and exhales get more comfortable. I wish I was back to the level I was before, but that was when I was doing only yoga and nothing else. You will figure out what works best for you.

Hi Yve, Charlotte, and Jeanette! Yve-Have you started working off those Cinnamon Buns yet?

Jen

What!?! (LOL) An apple, a lousy rice cake and some peanut butter before all that work? You're nuts! You know, I've often read that you should do your weight training before you do your cardio. Maybe that would be good? Either that, or actually EAT something LOL.

As for Ween, no, they're not like DEVO. They're more like...well, they're hard to explain, but to give you a hint, I can't write any of their song titles here because I might get kicked off the board.

Thanks for the breathing advice. I tend to want (need?) to breathe in and out deeper and longer than the poses are held...and my understanding is that the moves flow with the in and out of breath, so when the instructor is moving on to the next pose while breathing, I'll often be in the middle of a breath. I guess after I start Breath of Fire and Kundalini, maybe my breathing will naturally speed up ;) .

All right. I'm off to work.

Have a nice day! (or night...)

Hello ladies,

Hope everyone had a nice day. I managed to get out for a walk today - as I my cousin is still with me - but I will be able to work out tomorrow night. She will be visiting with another relative.

Lora- the Amy dvd sounds like a great workout. But I especially liked the review for Ana and Ravi. The music in Seane's dvd is very calming. It is light instrumental with some vocal operatic type singing in it.the music in her instructional dvd is very soft - as her voice somewhat drowns it out. During the breath session, you can hear the music more bc she doesn't speak. I have both dvds (bought them as a 2-pack) - But generally only do the instructional - not the breath work. Her dvds do have forward and back bends - also some twisting. Lots and lots of sun salutations. Very plain back
ground - Its quite no-frills in that regard - but enjoyable nonetheless.

August - Tks for the review of Total Yoga Original. It sounds like a great dvd. I have a hard time with breathing in the sense that - after several vinyasas - I am quite out of breath - or at least breathing heavy. It's hard to follow the proposed pattern.

Maeghan - that is too funny re the instructor stopping in the middle of the tape to pull her hair back. Can you imagine if we did that at the office - in the middle of a presentation or some such thing....But its great that you got a great workout.

Jen, Jen, Jen! Mangia signiorita! Rice cake does not cut it for Drill Max. Thanks for your explanation of breathing technique. I really like what you have to say about allowing the breath to come naturally - and to avoid causing stress on the body. You raise a very good point. And I cannot tell a lie - those cinnamon apple buns have found a new home on my hips.

Hope everyone has a great evening.
Yve

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.