Trying to Fit Yoga in for Frid Dec 22

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

I ended up doing LIC Total Body Sculpt, Legs & Glutes from the Standing Leg Extensions thru the lying inner thigh work with ankle weights (wore both pair of my ankle weights for this), and then I did Mindy's All About Legs Tubing Segment and the Gliding Segment came on next and since I love Gliding.....I ended up doing that one also. I also did Namaste Yoga Firebird. Total workout time was 2 hours and 20 minutes and I burned 460 calories at the end of the leg work.

My legs are feeling pretty worked right now. I'd like to get some cardio in later today and I should try to do some Pilates ...but we'll see.

I also did 1/2 hour of cardio yesterday and 20 minutes of Adrienne Reed's Fat Burning Yoga and 20 minutes of Adrienne Reed's Flexibility Yoga. (I'll continue my review of Adrienne in the next post - I'm doing personals separate to avoid making this post look as long as it really is!! LOL).

I forgot to mention that our house we've been trying to sell for over a year finally sold. We didn't end up making any money on it though, but at least were finally rid of it.

Re: the job I've been thinking about this and the way I'm basically looking at it right now is this way. I'll start this Real Estate job and not get too comfortable and move in per se. I'll see how I like the job. It's better than getting half of my pay like I would get on unemployment. If I end up liking the job and think I'm being paid fairly, I'll stay, but if I end up hating it or even thinking that the job is too much work for the measly pay....then I can start looking for another job. I don't really want to break "my word" if I told her I would not do this, but if I'm unhappy, it's not like I signed a contract or anything and it's my life.

Right now, it seems like the DH is going to resent me forever for taking this job and I don't like that...but such is life.

Last time I listened to my DH and did what he said, I ended up regretting it. He once told me to leave a job cuz I fought with the office manager all of the time, but other than that it was a good, secure job. The only thing I didn't really like is that I was doing transcription (not my favorite thing). Anyway, I left there and took a job closer to home doing transcription and after I was there 2 years, they outsourced their transcription and I lost my job. I often think back that I could still be at that one job and should have never left. I had medical insurance, profit sharing, a 401 K, raises, and a fair wage. Oh well.

Regarding Adrienne Reed - I know some of you here have her one Yoga DVD and like her. Maybe I need to warm up to her or maybe she's just not for me. I'm not sure right now. I'll have to do more of the segments and see....but right now, I really dislike her. I dislike the way she teaches and I'm not really thrilled about the workouts either.

The Fatburning segment I did was basically sun salutations with some pushup/chataranga holds, etc. Maybe a couple balancing postures I couldn't do (arm balances). I'm not allowed to do arm balances due to my shoulder/neck problems. I know these are advanced DVDs but she offers NO alternative to an advanced pose at all (maybe once she did). Luckily, I knew how to modify some of them on my own, but some of them, I just skipped. It seems to me that she's rather "show offy" and I don't like yoga instructors like that. She's not very gentle with her talk and I found her rather irritating. I tend to like gentle, soft spoken instructors like Shiva and Rainbeau and they always stress that if something doesn't feel right, don't do it....don't judge yourself....etc. Adrienne seemed like she went exactly opposite of this. She even at one point said.....you'll learn that I dive right in and get down to business. That's fine and Dandy....but she came across abrasive to me. Maybe I was just in a bad place in my head? I don't know. Only time will tell, but at this moment, I feel like I wasted my money.

The fat burner workout didn't do anything for me...but I didn't expect much since I knew it would be mostly sun salutations. I was more disppointed in the variety of poses in the 20 minute flexibility routine, as well as her not offering modifications for some really advanced poses (and there were a couple that I had no idea how to modify on my own). She was irritating in that she kept going "Pshewwwwww" after a particularly hard pose and I was looking for a mussel by that point!!! LOL. Right now these DVDs might make their way to Ebay. I'll stop with my Adrienne assessment now!

Karin - I've only done Kelly's NYC once so far, but I liked it. I used as heavy weights as I could and it ended up being a decent weight workout. What really surprised me with this DVD was that the leg work is mostly non-weighted and when I previewed it, I thought to myself -- I'll have to use weights on the leg portions or I won't get sore. At the advice of a fellow VFer...I tried it once without weight and was surprised that my legs got a bit sore the next day. I think she only uses weights for the leg work a couple times in the entire DVD.

Step Boxing - you really should get this. It is SO much fun and a real calorie burner. It does move fast and maybe you can't do it right at the moment...but for the future.....it would be great. I just love this workout. There is a bit of a learning curve...but the more I do it, the easier the combos get. I love the way she puts the combos together. There is one in particular that is my favorite.

I also like Amy's Hi/Lo Extreme. I really need to do it more often.

Ripped to the Core was one of my favorite's of Jari's but only cuz the compound moves make your calorie burn slightly better (and you know me and my calorie burn). I still have to do Jari DVDs to my own music cuz I hate the music she chooses and I can't stand her talking.

Where did you buy workout clothes online? I am thinking I need a new outfit. The place I was buying from for a while (that I found on CAthe's site) went out of business. I love Caruska, but they're way too expensive for me .....especially these days.

I live in a small city - so downtown is only 15 minutes away...but it's still the parking and walking thing that I don't like .....plus I'm not sure about lunch options down there.

What did you do to your knee? It might be worth it for you to look into getting an Urban Rebounder. I got mine right around the time I discovered Cathe and I don't know how I'd live without it. I modify a lot of Cathe's higher impact jumps (i.e. tuck jumps, etc) on it and I also used it for my cardio when I had a stress fracture in my foot (that I didn't know I had until after I had it for 3 months and did aerobics for 3 months on the rebounder - long story!!).

Sorry your parents are coming.....sounds like a movie!! Hopefully, you'll get thru it okay. I always hate the Holidays.....(sorry to say -- cuz they never live up to everyone's expectations....or something like that).

Jen - Total Yoga has Ganga White and Tracey Rich (Husband and wife). The woman is the one that narrates and I cannot stand her!! LOL. Here I go again. However, the workouts themselves have good sequencing of poses. So far, they have been a bit slow for me, but I find I'm enjoying them at night. I won't do them in the morning anymore. The music is relatively nonexistant on these and this is also fine by me....as I'll play my own Shakti Rhythms or Jai Utal.

Ellen Barrett has actually done a few newer things - but not on her own. I believe she did a Chose Your Level workout that's in Collage but it didn't really appeal to me (but now I'll probably have to go to a search on Collage and be sure of this!! LOL).

No Yoga today.

Jen,

About the Scorpio....

Scorpio Traits

Determined and forceful
Emotional and intuitive
Powerful and passionate
Exciting and magnetic

On the dark side....

Jealous and resentful
Compulsive and obsessive
Secretive and obstinate

Charlotte~~

So what dark secrets do you have Char??? Just kidding lOL!!

I am cancer. To a T. DH is too. Crazy around here sometimes. Connor is a cancer. Chase is the oddball, born in May lol!

I SHOULD do yoga today. Maybe if I get a quiet moment. Not always likely in this house. i also hope to do some good UB today.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

I AM SO FRIED. I did BM2 double UB. I matched Cathe's weight, except the second shoulder presses I dropped to 10#. I thought the military presses were going to kill me. I managed every bicep one matching her weight (15#) except the last few concentration curls on the second round. I also did the abs. I wasn't expecting them to double each one of those moves too LOL! What a surprise. i thought it would be regular ab work one time thru. NOT! So I am fried, commpletely.
Stuffing face now.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06

Emotional and loving
Intuitive and imaginative
Shrewd and cautious
Protective and sympathetic

On the dark side....

Changeable and moody
Overemotional and touchy
Clinging and unable to let go

That is me 100%. Now add another person with all that in one household, me and my DH. And Connor is cancer too. Oh boy. I am way overemotional and unable to let go of anything...even crap! lol
But I am way loving and imaginative and certainly sympathetic, sometimes to a fault.
Oh well. WEird how your birthdate can cetermine your personality like that.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06

Very tight on time tonight, so I will keep it brief. I did Supersets tonight and really enjoyed it except for those *&%%$ power lunges. My a$$ was still sore today, as well as the shins and calves, but I was determined again not to take an additional rest day this week. I loved the sequencing of Supersets and it is a great Friday WO, tough but not complete torture. I have really enjoyed the heavy cardio rotation and I am thinking of repeating it again.

Everyone-So interesting all this horoscope talk-I love it! :) Do you all know anyone who is the same sign as you are? Do you get along better with them or not? What signs are your DHs? (BTW, Meg are you saying you and DH are the same sign?) All this stuff just facinates me!

I will catch up more with you guys tomorrow! Take care!

Jen

Howdy Strangers!

Yoga, unfortunately, has taken the back burner for me these days as I can barely keep up with my day-to-day workouts. The good news is that Santa has placed a yoga block and Shiva Rea's Fluid Power under the tree:7

I hope to get back to yoga as soon as all of this holiday madness is over. (((Hugs))) and holiday kisses:* :* :* to all of you!

Lora – If I did the workout you did today I don’t think I would be able to walk for days. I have Adrienne’s Power Yoga for Athletes and I do like her personality in that one. She is actually very calm and soothing and she has about 9 people in her class and there are 2 that are beginner, 3 intermediate, and 2 or 3 advanced. It is nice because you can see variations of the pose. I read on the VF boards that Adrienne’s personality was goofy in her latest series and wasn’t like PYA. I remember someone commenting, like you did, about her saying “phew” after a few of the poses and that they thought it was odd and annoying. Also, I really hate it when the yoga instructors don’t give you modifications for different levels. I like the ones that start off with beginner and then progress to the harder ones. I bought some clothes last night from roadrunnersports.com. They had some cute yoga pants (Brooks Zen Flare pants) and I also got some stonewear designs crop pants from amazon. I already have a few pairs of this brand but I love them.

Charlotte – When’s Yoga X going to happen again? Do you do it once a week on P90X rotation?

Megadoo – Are the kiddos feeling better? Wow, Body Max 2 double UB and matching Cathe’s weights. That’s awesome. I really like that UB workout. It is fun and doesn’t go on forever.

Today was another snow day. This is so cool, but I am totally being lazy. I did do Karen Voight’s Total Body Pilates for the first time tonight. This is a lower body fryer for sure. She uses one of those pilates circle things and it works the inner thighs very well. I hope I am sore tomorrow. I still have to do some PT exercises too.

Tomorrow I must get to the gym again and do some cardio. That is the one bad thing about having a bum knee is that I can’t do cardio at home because I can’t really step or jump. Okay, enough whining.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Karin

HI Ladies,

I have been off the boards for a while - my computer is acting up - and I am worried that if I stay on it too long - it will crash on me and I will lose my saved files. So tonight I spent some time backing stuff up - and I will turn it off again - and take it to be serviced.

I finally picked up my yoga dvds from the UPS Store - and I will be previewing them. Will report back my thoughts - I am especially excited to try Power Yoga for Happiness.

So - As my computer is going to be clean-disked - I will be away for a bit...

Just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas - Hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Yve.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.