Trying to Fit Yoga In for Fri May 25

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Gym Style Legs Timesaver Premix (loved the band segment on this one - fun) followed by Coremax 2 (really liked this one a lot better than 1 I did the other day). I also added on Laila Ali's Boxing workout 20-25 minutes. Workout was about 1 hour and 50" and I burned 475 calories. I also did 1 Minute Yoga Session (50" - you hold each pose for 1" according to the descrition, but I don't think it was true with every single pose).

What does everyone put in their steel cut oats for flavor? or do you just get used to them plain? I like mine with brown sugar, but I know that's evil ( . Ugh, I think I scratched my eye trying to see if there was something in it. It hurts.

Have great workouts everyone. I'm going to pick Mom up later this morning!! Yay! (although I wish she was feeling better). I guess it's only been about 2 weeks since she did it.....so I should give it time.
She is coming home but has to go back for outpatient therapy 3 times a week. She's actually not very mobile. She has a walker, a reacher thing (to pick dropped items up - since she can't bend down) and something for the toilet to raise it up higher. She ended up not getting the apparatus for the tub....as she had to pay extra for it and she's hoping she'll be feeling better in the near future and will be able to bathe normally soon. She isn't allowed to drive for a while and she's still in a lot of pain with the severe leg heaviness. Can't lift her leg.

Oh my goodness......little Brookie just goes walking by with a makeup brush hanging out of her mouth!! I can't believe her. She must have gone on my makeup stand and taken it out of the cup!! That's bizzare!! She only has 9 million toys around here.

Jen - AC/DC does that song Highway to Hell or how about Back in Black or Hells Bells? Any of those sound familiar? Re: BPAL - Glitter is actually not technically an LE. It was a catalog scent that was discontinued but she brought it back as an LE. If that makes sense. I've been wanting to buy more Snake Oil soap also. It's $10 a bar though cuz of the amount of oil that goes into it (per Beth). Some of my favorite Catalog blends (since we're talking BPAL) are Dorian, The Hesperdies, Bordello, Dana Oshee, Verdandi, Old Morroco, Harlot, Eden, Alice, Elegba, Snake Oil, Imp, Endymoin, Chimera, Rakshasa, Brisingamen and Blood Countess. I recently sampled Horreur Sympathetique and really like it so I'll probably be ordering it one day soon.

I finally ordered a couple Power Cords for my Pilates Reformer. I've been wanting to (since the resitance is a tad too easy for me) and now I have to figure out how I'm going to fit a day of Pilates in a week (if not more).

Kel - what's up today?

I bet you ladies are happy it's Friday! Hope it's a pleasant one.

Have a great day.

Good afternoon!

Sorry I'm a little late today. Just trying to get everything done before this long weekend. DH & I are also taking off next Friday & half a day on Thursday for a much needed mini-vacation. We're going to Nashville & stay downtown where we can walk around & enjoy the sights & sounds. Have you ladies ever been there? It's a very fun city.

This morning, I did the 39 minute hi/lo & weights premix on SJP. I did a little bit of warming up on my own, since that premix is actually an add-on, & then I added the abs & stretch sections at the end. I matched Cathe on her weights but I'm not sure I really "felt" it today because I was so tired. I stayed up a little too late in anticipation of Friday & the long weekend. I'm really glad I got in a good workout anyway & I'm sure I still benefited from it, even if I didn't really feel "worked out" enough.

I didn't get to do yoga last night because my DH & I had to go meet some new renters at a property & we didn't get back home until after 8... & we still had to eat. I also didn't fit any in during lunch today because I was really hungry & went out for a large salad. At least I was able to do some yoga a couple of days this week anyway. I'm sure I'll be able to do a little more next week too. Hopefully, I'll get to fit in an extra long workout & yoga on Monday since it's a holiday & I'll be out of work. I'll let you know...

Lora - This may sound strange but I mix Naturally More peanut butter & a little honey into my steel cut oats. I just got into them during this past winter but I usually don't eat hot cereal during the summer so it's been awhile since I've eaten any. During the summer, I eat yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, & fiber-rich dry cereal for breakfast. I'm glad your mom is coming home today & I hope she starts to feel better soon. She has really been through a lot but like you said, it's only been 2 weeks. I'm sure she'll improve considerably in the coming weeks. Oh my gosh... I'm LOL at Brookie taking your makeup brush! Skippy has tons of toys too but his favorite thing to do is mess our bed up & wallow around in the pillows, sheets, & covers. Our furry children are a mess, aren't they? Good luck fitting in pilates too. I have several pilates tapes/dvds but haven't done any of them in awhile. I always liked it but I've never used a reformer. Is it very different from just doing a mat routine? Oh yeah... great workout, as usual. Is your eye okay?

Jen - Thanks for the comment about my workouts being intense. I've only been doing these kind of workouts since about the first of the year, I guess. I think doing Cathe, getting more of her DVDs, & frequenting this forum have created more of a drive within me & I strive to do more & more. But I still don't think of myself as intense so thanks for the nice description. Thanks for the information about the Ripped workouts too. I'll have to keep that in mind when I actually try them out. Your doggies sound SO adorable! I know exactly what you mean about them creating chaos too... & I only have one. LOL!

Well, I've still got tons to do so I better get back to it. I hope everyone has a great Friday & a nice weekend too. I'll be back later if I get the chance.

Take care!

Kel - I had a Southwest Salad from McDonalds with a Yogurt and Fruit Parfait (only 130 calories for the yogurt)while visiting my Mom. It was really good. I just got home from there. I wanted to spend some time over there so she felt comfortable. I made sure everything was arranged in her reach, etc. Brooklyn is being a little bad lately, as she's not been getting her usual amount of attention since i've been busy. I could just see me going crazy trying to find that brush after she batted it under something where it would never be found!!

So - you and your DH own rental property? That's nice. My DH & I just bought a foreclosed house to flip (we've only done it one prior time) and the people aren't getting out.....so we've been struggling with the Court System trying to get them out of there. We bought it back in February and just got the deed last week. Talk about RED TAPE.

I don't really like Peanut Butter, but honey might be an option for the oats. I usually eat either Shredded Wheats, Grape Nuts or Oatmeal with yogurt and a banana or some dried cranberries with my cereal- I know dried cranberries are a bit sugary....but I can't help it, I'm addicted to them.

The Reformer is different than a mat routine in most ways, but similar in some, for instance - you do Hundreds on it with your hands looped in the resistance cords to add resistance to the move. You also do Shaving the Head (triceps - like a mat session with weights) with the resistance cords & Hug A Tree. Mermaid is done on the moving carriage part of the apparatus and you also have the resistance cords set to add resistance to the move. Leg Circles are done with your feet in the resistance loops, etc. You get the idea. I guess I must be at the age where I need to start paying more attention to my mid section, as I never used to put any weight on there and lately, my lower abs have been looking bad....so I'm determined to fit Pilates in.

Lora - I almost went for that salad because there's a McD's right around the corner from where I work. But as I was pulling out, I decided to go make my own instead. I love those yogurt & fruit parfaits too but I usually can't resist using the granola.

Yeah, we own a few... & our own house was a foreclosure so I can totally relate. That's really cool that you & your DH have already flipped one foreclosed house & are in the process of doing it again. Most of the people I work with think my DH & I are crazy for doing that. I do hate you're having to deal with all that red tape but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Hmmm... I've never tried cranberries in my cereal. I bet they would add a nice sweet-tart flavor. Do you use milk in your cereal? If so, what kind? My DH was raised right next door to a dairy farm so he absolutely will not drink anything other than whole milk... & he still says it tastes watered down to him. So that's why I usually just eat my cereal dry. I was usuing light vanilla soy milk for awhile, though, & it was really yummy. Maybe I'll get some more next time I go to the store & change up my breakfast routine for awhile.

Okay... so the reformer actually adds resistance & I'm not getting that at all with the mat work. Well, other than the resistance of my own body weight I guess. (?) Oh, I'm sure it's still beneficial for me but I can see how the reformer would make the work much more intense. I know what you mean about the lower ab area too. For me, it's more of a pooch & it's always a problem area for me & I've never had any children. You know, I was wondering recently if adding weight to abwork, as Cathe does in several of her DVDs, might actually create some bulking in that area like it can with the butt & legs? Is that possible?

Glad I popped back in for a few minutes!

Kel - the dried cranberries are called "Craisins". They are 130 calories for 1/3 cup. I usually use a fourth cup sprinkled over my shredded wheats. MMMmmmmm good. I also love them with lettuce, apple pieces and Raspberry Vinagarette Olive Oil based dressing as a salad for dinner.

I don't think weighted abs add bulk to that area. For the longest time, I used 10-12 pounds and only saw good results, however, lately I've been working them almost daily and not adding resistance. When you use resistance, I think you can only work them 3 times a week. I did read an article in Oxygen recently that said overtraining your abs can cause them to look bloated. I'm always bloated though, as I have irritable bowel syndrome and I take Advil daily for my neck/shoulder pain which also causes some water retention. I'm trying to cut down to only one Advil a day though.

I've also practiced Pilates with ankle weights on (also do ab work with them for lower body resistance) and holding lighter dumbbells and it is more effective. I just bought Sexy Body off of the Yogilates website...it's a new PIlates workout using weights.....ankle and dumbbells. Haven't previewed it yet though.

I drink Skim Milk ....if you want to call it drink. I HATE milk so I only put a tiny tiny amount with my cereal and then I don't really try to scoop it up when I actually eat it and I actually even pile it up out of the milk so it doesn't get saturated.......I know....weird, huh?? I couldn't drink a glass of milk if you paid me....nor could I swallow a piece of meat!

Lora - Thanks for the tip about the dried cranberries. They sound like a delicious addition to both cereal & salads... & probably some other things as well!

Regarding water retention, I have that problem every month & my weight gain is usually around 5-6 pounds. I prefer not to take anything for it since I know it's natural so I just deal with it. But it still makes me feel so huge for a few days.

Hmmm... I'll have to try pilates using weights. I never thought of that!

I don't think it's weird that you don't like milk. I work with a guy who uses milk on his cereal much the same was as you do. He doesn't care for it either... & he hates cheese! He remembers his grandma making cheese when he was little boy & he says it was gross. I love cheese, though! So you must be vegan or vegetarian then?

Kel - I'm a vegetarian. Have been for about 20 years or longer. I always hated meat growing up. My parents forced me to eat it. Basically, when I was old enough to turn down both meat and milk, I did. I was a Tomboy growing up and my Dad was an avid hunter. Since I always liked to be around him, I'd sit and watch him skin & gut animals that he brought home. Maybe that has something to do with it....but I've always disliked meat and hated to have it forced on me.

I don't know how old you are (I'm 47...soon to be 48) and I noticed (especially the last few years) that I retain water when I'm midcycle. I can pretty much count on a 4-5 pound weight gain between days 10-14 (or longer) of my cycle. I weigh myself every morning at the same time. It is the only way I feel comfortable with making sure I don't get too much over my accepted weight.....although - right now, I'm about 2 pounds over the "do not go over" weight that I have set for myself. Time to buckle down.

Rotation Question - My rotation calls for a "brisk walk" tomorrow and a stretch. Would you follow that if it was on your rotation or would you do more??

Hi Lora - Posting from home now & a little late at that. My DH had a meeting right after work so when I got home, I put in my Baron Baptiste #1 DVD & did some yoga. It was a nice ending to the day & week. Since I still don't feel like I can sleep, I thought I'd come & see if anything was going on here before heading to bed.

I'm 39, in case you were wondering. I tend to naturally eat mostly veggies & some fish the majority of the time but I still enjoy the occasional steak, burger, sandwich or breakfast meat. In my younger days, I made some attempts at going completely vegetarian but I guess it just didn't come naturally to me like it has for you.

Hmmm... you know, if it were me, I'd probably feel like I needed to do more than just a brisk walk but I'm sure it's on the rotation you're following for a reason. What do you think? Maybe a steady state cardio coach or something of that nature? Or do you live someplace where the "brisk walk" could include lots of hills? You know, something to make you feel like you've gotten in some good cardio but still nothing too intense? Then follow it up with a nice long yoga session.

Well, I better get to bed. I hope you see this message... & I hope Jen pops in sometime too. I may not be around again until Tuesday but I'll try to check in if I get a chance. So I hope you ladies have a nice weekend & try to fit in some yoga if you can.;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.