Trying to Fit Yoga in for Fri 1/19

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Karen Voight's Sleek Essentials Strength Effect (total body workout) followed by Mindy's Gliding Beyond the Basics with Tubing. Total workout was 75 minutes and I burned 375 calories. The Karen Voight program uses a foam roller. I never used one before, but you lie on it long ways to work your chest and your abs fire like crazy to keep you balanced and stable on the roller. It felt different. Not sure if I'll be very sore tomorrow. I used a lot heavier weights than she did.

Have great workouts everyone.

I just ordered a few things from Bryan Kest's website. I got his 3 newer DVDs (as I only have the older ones) and 2 audio practices, one Live and one Deep and Slow - both 90 minutes long. I was feeling sorry for myself.....so I did what I do best....order more DVD's!!

Hi all! DH & I did Boot Camp last night. Yikes, what a workout! Still having home computer problems, so I will try to peek back at lunch today or before I leave.

Lora-It's finally FRIDAY! I hope you can take some comfort in that! That is so neat that you got Karen Voight's Sleek WOs-I have been eyeing them but waiting for more reviews to come out. Sounds like you liked it. How was the music on it?

Megadoo-You got in an AWESOME WO yesterday! I like that combination-I think I will go back and write it down so I can try that one out. About how long was all that? Have fun on your walk today. You're going to do that AND the planned WO! All I can say is WOW!

Kel-What WO are you planning for today? Hope you see yesterday's post.

Tammy-I'll have to try the McCann's-I am pretty sure I saw it last time I was at the store. I think mine are Red Mill, Old Mill, something like that. I am such a sweets freak that maybe the McCann's should just be a treat only for me too.

Char-How was yoga X? Are you buying any oils lately with all the BPAL events going on?

Meant to ask you all-Is Turbo Jam slower than Tae Bo? I am trying to find some cardio DH will do but it can't have a lot of jumping around and he seems to like kickboxing moves.

Jen

Jen - the music sucked bad!! I hated it!! LOL! Once I know it, I'll listen to my own music. Overall, I didn't think it was a real tough workout, and that's why I added on. I did like the effect of the roller - which when I bought the system - I thought was a total sales gimmick.........no use thingie. This workout mostly focused on upper body....but then again this is meant to be done as a system, and the Sleek DVD focuses on abs/butt and legs. I'll have to search VF to find the 3 week rotation a VFer followed. I could never follow it for months as its only 3 workouts. I did the cardio one a long time ago when I first got it. It was moderate. I used to do a LOT of Karen before I discovered Cathe. You didn't say anything about my Bryan Kest shopping spree!!! I think I'll do Kest yoga this weekend. I could use some shorter practices as I've got lots to do this weekend. Have to do my hair....colour and highlight....and that's an all day thing!

ETA - to specify....the music is jazz/instrumental like she has in a lot of her other programs. I hate it. The only other music I like besides Cathe's (most of the time) are the Evolution studio soundtracks, CIA soundtracks and most of the stuff produced by Greg Twombly isn't bad in my opinion.

Lora-Tee Hee Hee :) about the Karen Voight music-yep, I think it mostly sucks, too. Did not mean to neglect the Bryan Kest-have just been assuming that the newer ones were not as good as the older ones, so let me know what you think. I have not heard anything about the Bryan Kest Live DVD, so I am curious about that, too!

Any input on the Tae Bo vs. Turbo Jam intensity/safety/skill level or any slightly lower intensity kickboxing DH & I could enjoy together?

Jen

Jen - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Turbo Jam.....most fun workouts ever!

Re: Bryan Kest, I thought that also....but I read the reviews on Collage and they aren't bad. I think a lot of people just love the original series and are not being open minded. I needed some shorter yoga practices and his DVDs are just that. However, the one 90 minute live is not a DVD, it's an audio! So is the long and slow stretch one....but it comes with illustrations and I've done Eion's audio's just fine. Also, Bryan has MP3 downloads on his site for $9.99......and Eion.....doesn't charge for his ...although he does ask that if you'd like to pay something for them, to please contribute to one of his favorite charities or something like that....he's into the environment. It's almost time for lunch!! Yay....best time of the day....besides quitting time.

Jen,

Yoga yesterday was very interrupted and I will leave it at that. I need to go off in the woods...if it were only warm enough again.

Just bought some more sample oils from bpal....
Queen, VanVan, Dove's Heart, Hecate, Bastet and Pannychis (sp?) Waiting on my inquistion oil and shirt to come in. Did you submit to the inquistion? I want the ecstasy one. Hoping for the passion or true love one. The first one would be my last choice and I hope I don't get that one.

Lora,

Did your valentine inquistion stuff come in yet?

Charlotte~~

WO done. I did LIC lower body circuit, then added DM lower body moves, DM stretch, and then 10 min bonus segment of Rainbeau Mars Dusk Yoga. Felt good. Plus our 2 mile walk this morning. I worked my shoulders and biceps in some of the LIC moves. nothing to bad.

Jen- it took me 90 min only cuz I was waiting for DH to give up the LR tv before I started DM. So really about 75 min or so?

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Hi flexible ladies!

Lora - I hope things are going better for you today. Hmmm... that workout sounds interesting & different. Let us know how you feel tomorrow. I've never tried Bryan Kest but I've heard good things about his first series so I've been interested in trying those. Right now, my collection includes Baron Baptiste, Yoga Journal, Crunch, Sara Ivanhoe, Rainbeau Mars, & a few others. Any good suggestions for others? Especially more challenging routines.

Jen - Yes, I saw your post from yesterday but I don't post from home b/c my DH feels neglected. Great workout! Boot Camp is killer & lots of fun & I love it too! Today, I did a mixed up workout b/c my upper body is still sore from ME. So I did some lower body from L&G, abs & cool down from KPC, & some yoga on my own. It left me feeling very good & ready for my day.

Charlotte - Sorry your yoga session got interrupted yesterday. I know how frustrating that must have been for you. Hopefully, next time will be much better.

Megadoo - Great workout! I have a couple Rainbeau Mars DVDs but not that one. How do you like it & is it very challenging?

Well, my friend couldn't make it for yoga last night so DH & I just enjoyed a quiet evening at home instead. That's why I tried to fit in a little yoga this morning. Hopefully, I will be able to do more next week.

I've been real busy here today so if I don't get a chance to check back in I'm wishing you all a nice afternoon & a great weekend.

Take care!
Kel

Kel- I LOVE Rainbeaus Dusk one. I am going to get her Dawn one too. As for challenging, well, she does show modifications and stuff. I can do most of it, probably not perfectly on alot of stuff. I can't do that thing where she jumps foward and her legs fly threw her arms and she lands on her butt. I think that is really impossible LOL!! I guess I would say that it is just perfect for me challenge wise. I really like it alot. SHould do it more.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Megadoo - She does that same move in both of the DVDs I have too! That must be her signature move (what the heck?) but I agree... I think it's impossible too... at least for me! LOL!

Kel

Nope -- you ladies are wrong.....not Rainbeau's signature move. They do that in most of the more intermediate/advanced DVDs I have. She just explains it a bit differently.

My favorite Rainbeau is the Yoga for Beauty Series - Dusk and Dawn. They are not that challenging, but when I've had a bad week and need something to cheer me up .....I love that one.

Kel - I'll let you know how I feel after today's workout, but I doubt I'll be sore, as I haven't been getting sore from hardly anything lately. ...except for when I did Gliding last week and really pressed my legs into the floor. I used to really love Bryan Kest a long time ago and was introduced to Power Yoga on his first 3 DVDs. They are pretty challenging. However, IMO ..the Cathe of Power Yoga is Mark Blanchard. He is tough! Most of his DVDs are 90 minutes or so and I remember doing one of them after doing Kenpo X when I was doing P90X and he did so many balancing postures, sun salutations and jumping switching warriors that my legs were shaking like crazy. I really want to start taking a "recovery weeK" every month or so and doing a week of Yoga/Cardio/Pilates and Gliding. Mark's website is www.progressivepoweryoga.com.

I also just purchased the new set of Adrienne Reed DVDs and I've not yet done them, but they look pretty tough. I need to warm up to her...as I'm sort of having a problem "liking her" enough to do my new DVDs. She's not soothing at all. I need the real kind, compassionate instructors like Eion Finn, Shiva Rea and Rainbeau Mars.

Other FANTASTIC DVD's are by Eion Finn. He's one of my favorite instructors. HIs Power Yoga for Happiness is available at Amazon.com and has 6 premixes on it. Magically Hips is a must do if you do lots of Cathe aerobics, etc. Eion is so cool. He has that hippie vibe like Rainbeau. He's from Vancouver and his website is www.Vancouveryoga.com and he also used to have some free MP3 downloadable practices. I think he used to have Tragically Hips in the downloads, as well as a good 40 minute routine. He's due to come out with a new DVD any day now. Rainbeau also has new stuff on the horizon (as I chatted with her via email recently and I CAN"T WAIT for both of them).

Shiva's the other fave of mine. I love Yoga Shakti and Fluid Power by her. Fluid Power gets into my piriformis spasms like no other yoga DVD. Love that one, but it has a learning curve cuz it's a slight spin on yoga, thus the name Fluid Power.

I also like Altar of the Heart with Tilak Pyle. It is a 75 minute yoga practice that is not REAL tough, but it has a little bit of everything. It makes you work a bit...but you still feel calm and relaxed. It has great music and has lots of hip openers and twists (which you'll find that I'm addicted to and I tend to gravitate towards liking those practices the most - guess I really need to detox my body from all of those stress toxins storing in my hips). You can either get this DVD on Tilak's website or at FitnessOrganica.com. I think you can preview it also.

I have most all of Baron Baptiste's stuff, but he doesn't tend to do a lot of hip openers, so I find I don't gravitate towards them that much.

I'm sure I forgot some -- but if you check in here a lot, I'm always buying and doing new practices....so stay tuned. I actually have Yoga on Demand coming from CD Universe and now the Bryan Kest's are coming.

I'm supposed to force myself to take a rest day tomorrow, but I'll probably end up practicing some new Rebecca Small step coreography followed by a Bryan Kest DVD and maybe a bit of Kundalini. I've got a busy day tomorrow. My hair needs coloured and highlighted and it's an all day affair!! Plus I have Ebay business.

Charlotte - Heck no.........not a word on either my huge BPAL order from Jan 2 or my Inquisition Order from Jan 3. I emailed Sara today about something else and I asked her if she knew when my package would ship, as I'm in need of some BPAL lovin'!!!

Kel - if you wonder what oils we're talking about......I've got a huge addiction to these wonderful perfume oils from www.Blackphoenixalchemylab.com and I've turned a few ladies here on to them. You'll also find I've got a www.Lush.com addiction and a soap one to www.villainess.net. I'm a beauty product freak... besides being an exercise fanatic....so if you ever need any beauty advise....please feel free to ask!! LOL.

I best go catch up on GH before I get too tired to watch it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.