Shrinking Violets Check-in for January 1-7, 2007

BelovedHeather

Cathlete
Happy New Year, Violets!!! I love new beginnings and fresh starts. Last year definitely did not go according to my plan, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn from history and face 2007 victoriously with a new game plan. I started last year on New Year’s Day in size 18 jeans at 200 pounds and ended the year on New Year’s Eve in women’s size 22 jeans at 230 pounds. That does not tell the whole story because I actually melted down to size 14 jeans at 180 pounds after Easter.

I have been reviewing my journals, praying, and pondering this week. What happened? The answer is quite simple. I had passion but not perseverance, and passion without perseverance is powerless. In true Heather fashion, I started out like a horse that had just been released from the pen. Being 100 pounds from goal, this race is a marathon for me. I was trying to run it like a sprint. No wonder I kept growing weary and dropping out of the race after a few miles! I believed the lie that someone my size should be able to shed 5 pounds a week. That was my definition of success. When I fell short of my goal, I felt like a failure. I got discouraged, I grew weary, and I gave up again and again. I am not a quitter, so I kept starting over. I am good at starting over. Historically, I have not been good at finishing the race. That is true in every area of my life. I have countless unfinished projects in front of me like organizing my home and completing all the Bible studies and books I started. But that is all about to change starting today.

I am surrendering all my plans for 2007 to the Lord. I am developing a marathon mentality and learning to pace myself. Running the race in record time is not my goal. Running in a way that glorifies God and finishing strong are my only desires. By eating in a way that blesses my body and running the race set before me with perseverance, I can shed 2 pounds a week without losing ground spiritually or emotionally. I can reach my goal by New Year’s Eve! I am surrendering my desire to reach the finish line by the 4th of July because attempting to lose 100 pounds in 6 months has never worked for me. It is possible, but I am no longer willing to push myself to the point of fatigue and depression for the sake of temporary progress.

I prayed and asked God to give me a word from His Word for 2007, and this is my theme: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV).

I need to run with conviction, determination, and perseverance. This race is a marathon that will require endurance. This is not a sprint. There are no quick fixes. I need to learn to pace myself instead of starting with amazing enthusiasm only to grow weary and faint after a few miles. It is important for me to keep my eyes on the finish line and not be distracted by my personal appearance, the number on the scale, my friends, or anything else in my path. Victory will require me to free myself from unnecessary weights and other hindrances and distractions like too much time online and friends who are negative influences or otherwise unsupportive of my goals. The excess fat on my body is an obvious weight that needs to be released, but I still have some emotional baggage to unpack as well.

It is my determined purpose to finish the course. This will require me to keep running with endurance even when I encounter obstacles. I am more than a conqueror, and I will be victorious by putting one foot in front of the other when it is a challenge to do so and never surrendering to feelings of discouragement. I am focusing on Jesus, keeping my eyes on the finish line, and not looking to the left or to the right or comparing myself with others or concerning myself with what anyone on this earth thinks about me or my appearance. Above all else, it is my desire to glorify God and run the race in a way that blesses my body and honors Him. On a physical level, it is my desire to start running this year. I may even run a race before the year is over! My current weight will require me to run in the pool until I am free from the burden of this excess weight. I am dreaming of the day when I can run on land. That future hope represents true freedom to me.

I determined in my heart before the dawn of 2007 that quitting is not an option. I dedicated myself to fighting the good fight and finishing the course. My vision is clear. I am looking beyond the seen to the unseen and walking by faith, not by sight. My present reality is not pretty, but I see beyond the moment to something far greater. As of yesterday morning, I was stuffing myself into a tight pair of women’s size 22 jeans at 230 pounds. I started this journey to living fit and free on July 4, 2003, in women’s size 28 shorts at 260 pounds. I am not where I want to be, but I will get there by the grace of God. I packed my scale in a box yesterday morning and sealed the box. I made a commitment to fast the scale for 90 days. New Year’s Eve “before” photos are stored in my personal photo album, and my measurements are recorded in my journal. I am ready to start running the race.

Love and hugs to all my check-in friends. I am looking forward to seeing all of you at the finish line. By the grace of God, you will see less of me! Yes, 2007 is my year to shine. Glory! Enough talk. It is time to get some restful sleep and double knot my laces in the morning. Cathe is waiting for me. Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Hebrews 12:1 NIV).

Happy New year violets!!

wow, seems like 2006 came and went so fast.

i woke up early to head out for my first group run and it is raining like crazy . so they canceled but i would not have ran out side in the rain anyway. I will hop on my treadmill today and run to CC# 6 (candace). I am so very happy with myself right now. I am not computer saavy at all and i figured out how to download and then put the CC into my ipod. woohoooo!!! it's the little things that count in life.

heather- you should become a writer. seriously you have an awesome gift. be blessed and i know you will will achieve each and every one of your goals.

i hope everyone had a great time bringing in the new year and will continue having a great time throughout the entire year!!

Did everyone do to much partying last night? LOL! I had a fire call at 6:30am, woke me out of the best sleep dangit. So I snoozed on the couch for a bit after. I have some good DOMS in my legs. I hope to do cardio and UB today. SHould do some yoga to for stretching.

SD- have a good run. I am hoping to download some CC soon. It was rainging here too, but icy!

Heather- you are such an eloquent person. You should be proud of yourself with your attitude alone. Good for you. I have no doubt you will reach your goals. Realizing and accepting that it doesn't happen quickly is the hardest part IMO. I look foward to hearing about your continued progress, and we will be here with you every step of the way!

Good morning to all the Violets.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Good morning to all on this bright shiney New Year's Day. Time for renewed resolve and cleansing (both my eating and my house, LOL)

Heather, sounds like you have set some very realistic and obtainable goals . You know what you want. You know what didn't work for you and you are preparing your new path. You have the most positive attitude that I know of, but if there are times when you want to falter from you path, know that we support you here, and are with you on your journey.

Wendy, congrats on the successful download. I'm alot like you. I will tell my DH, "Look can you believe I figured it out myself?" and yes, he usually is amazed.

Maeghan, sorry about the early morning call. At least it wasn't earlier considering it was New Year's Eve and all. (the night craziness thrives). I haven't seen our news today to see what kind of car wrecks happened around here.

No major partying for me last night. Went to a friend's house who had several people over. We couldn't stay til midnight because DH had to be at work at 6:00 this morning, so he needed some rest. Me, I slept in and am getting ready to go for that jog/walk I promised myself I'd do. Trying to start 2007 off right. HR monitor was not cooperating and I messed with it for 30 mins so I'm getting a much later start than I would have liked. Took measurements and am hoping for some changes this year. Going to try to get dh to participate.

Hello to Kim, Kali, Sunnydelite and everyone else who stops by.

Jean

Happy New Year Ladies!

Hope everyone had safe and happy night! I have a terrible sinus headache that is kicking my butt!! It will go away soon and then I will start my first exercise of the year. I am still deciding on the June 05 rotation of strength,cardio and flexibility or May 06 5-daysplit rotation. Right now it is not wise for me to do Cathe's Jan rotation with all the cardio in it while still babying my foot. I can only get by with only a few days of high impact cardio.

As soon as I get rid of this headache I will talk back with you ladies.

Hello to all the violets!!

kim

Hey girls,

Where are you violets at? I know some of you are eating those blackeye peas for supper huh? I just decided to do FitnessFreaks building muscle and staying lean rotation. First day was GS chest&tri's and that is a killer for me whom hasn't lifted weights in months. I have B&G abs left to do and I'm finished for today!

Back to work tomorrow after being out since the 21st!x( :-( x(

Have a good night!

kim

Hey guys! Well, what a day. I took down all the Christmas stuff. Then the boys really wanted pizza so I sent them out with DH to get it and pick up a few groceries. WEll, they never made it. DH swerved to not hit a deer adn wound up in the ditch and hit a telephone poll. THANK GOD it was on a sharp curve so he was going slow so the impact was not bad. They are all fine. Chase was shook up but calmed down. The damage to the car (my car) is minimal. They are all fine. My sister had just brought home Pizza Hut pizza, so she gave it to the boys so they had their pizza.

SO, that sucked, but I am of course very thankful no one was hurt.
Oh and no one was really hurt at that fire call this morning either. Just some black ice. My core is quite sore and I have that annoying cough so that feels great!
I am thinking of a TM run. Don't really feel like step tonight. Just want to do something easy.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06

Shrinking Violets Check-in

Good evening, Violets! I enjoyed a restful day. After my Bible study, I started my fitness journey for 2007 with Rhythmic Step. I was tempted by Cathe’s January rotation. It looks very similar to the rotation I planned for the first 8 weeks of the year. In keeping with my desire to pace myself, I decided to change my game plan and gently ease back into intense workouts instead. I reviewed the rotation Cathe planned for me when I first joined her forums and was inspired to put together a 3-week rotation with some of her less intense cardio workouts and gentler circuit training workouts. I only worked out once last week, and I was going through the motions the week before. With all the sugar and junk in my system and the extra weight I am hauling around, I decided to bless my body with a gentler approach. I am so glad I did. Rhythmic Step kicked my butt this morning, and it is not as intense as some of Cathe’s more challenging workouts. My commitment to running with perseverance was tested on the first day of this new year because I was wiped out by the second combination. I kept pressing on until it was accomplished. My mind was foggy, and it was a challenge for me to focus on the choreography this morning. It amazes me to realize how dramatically the food I eat affects me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I took a long nap this afternoon then went to the grocery store and stocked my refrigerator with plenty of food that will bless my body. I am taking a break from animal protein for a few weeks. I know my body well enough to know when it is time to return to a plant-based way of eating for a season.

I am hoping to start the 8-week rotation I planned in 3 weeks. I am treating the first 21 days of this year as preseason training to increase my endurance and strength and restore my body after all the celebration indulgences last month. I fasted during the day today. I ate a banana tonight, and I am ready to enjoy a bowl of steamed steel-cut oatmeal with natural peanut butter and raw honey. Yummy! I am starting to feel better tonight. I look forward to the abundant energy that will be my reward for eating clean and blessing my body with exercise and rest.

Thank you for all the love and encouragement. Y’all are treasures! I am amazed that you are so positive and patient with me after watching me start over so many times. I love you more than words can say.

Maeghan, praise God your husband and boys were not hurt!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Hebrews 12:1 NIV).

Hey girls,

Finished B&G abs with ankle weights and I sucked at it! I couldn't come up in a crunch holding weights when just finishing weight workout. That one will really kick my butt for a while!

Maeghan-I am really glad everyone was okay in the accident. I am so paranoid when it is the season for the jokers to come out! Glad everything is okay!

Hello to all you violets!!

kim

Maeghan, thank goodness everyone is OK. How scary. Too cute that the boys still got their pizza. That was sweet of your sister.

Kim, yep, I ate my blackeyed peas. I figured, what could it hurt and we all need good luck in the coming year. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow. I hate starting back with weights after a slow period. Oh the burn. I'll be starting back tomorrow(I've done like only 1 or 2 weight workouts since Thankgiving) so I know I'll probably have some burn going on later in the week. My joints are already feeling the affect of my jog this morning.

Jean

RE: Shrinking Violets Check-in

Heather, you snuck in on me. Sounds like several of us are in the same boat starting over or starting to refocus and recommit. I know my endurance has flown out the window. If we all hang in here together and support each other, it will make the journey more bearable.

Jean

Hello violets,

I am so late being my first day back to work and I am hating it!!x(But there is nothing to wine over huh? Well I have BM2 on the rotation today and will have to sub.for it when I decide what I will do when I get home from work.

Will talk to you this afternoon ladies!!

kim

Good Morning Ladies.

Meg, Sorry to hear about the accident but I'm glad no one was hurt.

Well I am planning to hit the gym for some kind of TM run today. I will be starting my first P90X rotation soon so I will be exercising with no true purpose except to burn calories until then!:p

Morning ladies. i didn't WO last night. Had a headache and was really tired. Will get one in today for sure. Not sure what yet though! Maybe LIC, that one is fun, or DM.
Have a good run WEndy.

Heather and Jean and Kim- sounds like you all have a good plan. I wish the best of luck with your journeys and hope you have funtoo! I love the support of all you guys!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06

Good morning all. This morning was SJP. Don't know if I will actually follow the January rotation, but will probably use it as a guide. Back to work. I'll try and check back later.

Jean

Good afternoon Ladies!

Meg, I'm so glad your family is ok. Deer can be such a hazard! Hope you're feeling better.

Wendy, did you have a good time this weekend? We just hung out at home Sunday night and spent the day yesterday up my DM's w/ her family. It was a nice day. Glad it's all over now tho. How's Joey feeling?

Good workout Jean. I'm thinking of following the rotation or using it as a guide too. I like the format of it. Today will be Imax2, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle that one yet after just getting really getting back into my workouts last Friday. We'll see. I'll definatley get a good cardio in tho regardless of what I choose.

Kim, hope you're having a good day. Let us know what you decide to do.

Heather, you too are an inspiration. And we don't start over. We just keep going. ;) The only one who fails when they fall is the one who fails to get up again.

Being it's already after noon, I suppose I should get my butt in gear and pick a cardio huh?

I will be back.

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

Hey ladies,

Just got home from work and taking my car to the shop to get a tire fixed. Boy am I tired! But I am still exercising girls!! I think I will do Powermax in the place of BM2 with no risers on my step. My foot probably won't let me make it all the way through, but I can atleast make it thirty minutes. Oh! My chest is so sore from GS yesterday! Dang that is rough!!

I will be back after my workout. Hope all the violets have a wonderful night!

kim

YooooHooooo! Where is everyone at? Just wanted to check in and have completed Powermax,which I love! I only did over thirty minutes cause I was getting exhausted! My foot actually held up fine. I may do a stretch at the end of one of cathe's tapes,there is not much at the end of Powermax.

Hey Wendy,Jean,Kali,Maeghan,Heather and any violet I may have missed!

kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.