RT even closer! Sun June 10

LauraR

Cathlete
Hi, girls. I’ll start us off today.

I’ve noticed a trend that there are the least posts on Sunday. It seems like last Sunday there was no RT thread at all. But usually I have the most free time on Sunday!

I haven’t had time this week to post any personals, so let me get in a few:

Gin—I really enjoyed Step Works. I have the Cardio Hits DVD with SW, Power Max, and Step Fit. I think Power Max is boring, but I like the other 2. They are older, so they’re good in a “classic Cathe” kind of way. But SW and SF are worth having IMO

Vicki—I was so happy to see you post, and re-post, and post again!! I seem to frequently remember something I wanted to say right after I hit “post.” Glad I have company!

I wanted to thank you all for the sympathy and encouragement regarding the Reverse Culture Shock I anticipate!

Tess—you said hearing about Reverse Culture Shock was “interesting.” I think the most “interesting” thing is the FACES people make at us when we haven’t a clue about the most recent technological advances in US society! LOL.

Mona and Vicki—thanks for the sympathy with challenging vending machines and lockers! If I look clueless on the RT, it’d be nice to have some company!

Liann—Yes! What you described is EXACTLY what happens to us. People mention TV shows and singers, and we have no clue who they are talking about. We do get looks like we’re from Mars sometimes.

You all were so encouraging. It helps to know that everyone struggles with fuel pumps, scanners, and those wonderful little devices that are SUPPOSED to make life easier and turn out to be a big headache. The fact that we run into so many new things in such a short span can be overwhelming. But it helps to know that everyone is stumped at some point! I think the worst of all is at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. Everyone is standing in line behind me, and they’ve changed the credit card scanner since last time I was in the States. The cashier is looking at me like, “Are you an idiot? It’s a simple scanner?!” And everyone is line behind me is sighing. I feel so much pressure!! Maybe one of you can fly down to Ft. Worth and hold my hand the first time I have to go to Wal-Mart!!

Liann—I also wanted to say kudos to you for your goal of doing all the GS push-ups on your toes. That’s amazing. I’ve been working hard on big girl push-ups, too, but that is a much more lofty goal than mine!!

Maybe this week I can have a little more time to post so I avoid the enormous week-end catch-up session!!

Laura

PS. I posted a question over in OD. It's called "From Africa: Furlough Fitness Dilemma." If any of you want to hop over there and give some advice, I'd love it!

:)

Good morning Laura and all who follow!

I've had another crazy week at work and haven't even turned on my computer since Monday. I always miss checking in with you guys. I have been doing S&H one body part a day with cardio. I am enjoying it, but it's kind of weird to me doing weight first then cardio. Takes some getting used to. I did MIC hi/lo for the first time this week. This was one I had been dreading. It went better than I expected, but it is tough! Very glad I didn't have to do the step portion that follows.

Laura-Have you read "The Poisonwood Bible"? It's about a family of missionaries in the Congo. I probably won't be much help advising you on your eating while in the states. I have the philosophy of life is short, enjoy! Probably why I'm losing weight so slowly, lol!

I just bought Barry's Bootcamp from HSN this morning after seeing that's it's on sale for $35!! Yea:D Have been eyeing this for a while. My birthday's next weekend so there is the justification;)

Hope you all have a great day!

Kara

Kara--My husband read The Poisonwood Bible (How do you underline on a post? As an English major, I cringe every time I type a book title without underlining or italicizing it!) Because so much of it was negative, I've never been inspired to pick it up.

If you're looking for GOOD Africa reading, try The #1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. They are wonderful and have hit the bestseller list. They're about a lady in Botswana and will give you all kinds of cultural insights into Africa. But they're not heavy. They are a fun and relaxing read. Everyone ought to pick them up!! :) The 8th one just came out. They have fun titles. The first is simply The #1 Ladies Detective Agency. Then come Tears of the Giraffe, Morality for Beautiful Girls, and The Kalahari Typing School for Men.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!

:)

Good Morning RTers!

Today was the start of Cathe's June rotation so I did PUB and did same weights as Cathe except no 20# chest fly for me. I had not done that one in quite a while and it went by quickly.

Laura--Thank you for the review on Step Works. I don't hear about that one very often. Will you coming to Ft. Worth right after the RT?? I guess I told you that I live in Ft. Worth, so I can hold your hand and take you to WalMart!!:D How long have you been living in Africa?

Kara--Was The Poisonwood Bible on Oprah's list a few years ago?

Mona--I forgot that you are in Houston. I will be there this week, but will be taking care of my nephews, so not sure I would have nay free time.:(

Have a good day all!
Gin

Gin--I thought I remembered your mentioning you lived in Ft. Worth. Where (it's big!)

I will be in Ft. Worth July 31-Aug 4. Then I go on a big US tour (including the RT), and will be back on Aug 22.

It'd be nice to have shopping buddy! :)

We'll be living north of the loop, just west of 35. It'll be in the NW ISD.

Hi again!

Gin-Yes, that book was from Oprah's book list. I read a lot of her suggestions.

Laura-I agree it is not a fun, light read; but I found the cultural & historical parts interesting. I will definitely check out the books you mentioned. They sound like ones I would enjoy. I like reading about anything though:)

Talk to you guys tomorrow!

Kara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.