Question for you cheetahs...

Calee

Cathlete
I don't want to butt-in here, but I do have a couple of questions that I thought I'd come to the educated crowd for...
I am more of a recreational runner, I don't train hard for anything in particular, I just alternate in running for my cardio with other Cathe workouts. My question is- will running hills make my legs bigger? I need to mix up my runs a bit, and want to add in some hills, but I'm afraid that I'll gain mass in my legs. What are your experiences with this?
Thank you, runners!
Calee

Calee,
I have been running now for about a year and I also do a lot of Cathe workouts. I do 1 speed run a week and 2 moderate to hilly runs and one endurance based long run. I have found that my legs have gotten stronger because of the hilly runs, but not bigger. I think if you did not JUST focus on hills that your legs would not get bigger. It is good to have a lot of variety with your runs, I think. I personally think the only way to really bulk up the legs is with heavier weight training. I am sure some other Cheetahs will chime in here. The one great thing about hill running is it definitley increases your fitness level and you burn a lot of calories and it takes away some of the boredom. Good luck and please join us on our check-in. We are a friendly bunch:)

Susan

Hi Calee...I think I answered you in another thread. My experiences with running hills is that it did not cause me to gain mass in my legs...:)

Hi Calee,

This is definitely something that would depend on an individual's body but for me personally, nothing has leaned me out more than running has--I don't feel as though my legs have gotten any bigger from the running or the frequent hill training. They've definitely made my legs much stronger and more toned, but not bigger.

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.