PYGFO Check-in for Friday, January 25, 2008

BelovedHeather

Cathlete
PYGFO Sisters:

Good morning! Happy Friday! I only lost 2 pounds this week. I say “only” because I was on target for another 4-pound drop based on my Wednesday night weigh-in. Yesterday was a roller coaster day for me. After a stressful day at work and 8 hours of unplanned emotional/stress eating, I started over again last night at 8:00 p.m. I ate 980 calories of processed organic food yesterday instead of what I planned to eat. I was tired after work and went to HEB for Amy’s organic broccoli pot pie (with broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and cheddar cheese sauce in a whole wheat crust). It was cold and dark outside, and comfort food sounded better than salad or steamed veggies. I also ate a small candy bar from the health food store yesterday afternoon while running errands as well as an individual organic cherry pie last night. Yesterday was not supposed to be a free day. My eating stumble was not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but I knew that I was in serious danger. I sent an e-mail to the guy who is leading our Biggest Loser challenge and my T-12 sisters then took a drive to get out of the kitchen. I went to Academy and bought a lime green tee shirt for my Biggest Loser team. Green in general is not my favorite color, but I love and look pretty in lime green (like I am wearing in my avatar picture). I was delighted to discover a lime green V-neck tee shirt. Of course, it has spandex in it. I hate that clingy stuff. I wish I could find 100 percent cotton tee shirts. Oh well.

As of this morning, I am 10 pounds lighter than my New Year’s Eve starting weight. I am delighted in light of my run-in with processed food yesterday.

When I filled out my Biggest Loser time capsule, there was a question about why I am fat. I wrote an eloquent answer as always, but I decided to e-mail Brett last night and ask him to amend my response. Why am I fat? It comes down to the power of sin and the fact that I am a hedonist. That’s it! Yes, I was raised in a Southern home. Yes, I believed the lie that food is love. Yes, I am an emotional comfort eater and stress eater. But the bottom line is that I use to satisfy needs God never intended for food to fill. The exercise part of this journey is easy for me. Even the super challenging workouts are “easy” in a sense because I love Cathe and look forward to working out with her. Fitness is fun. The food stronghold is not just going to be hard to overcome. It is going to be HELL to overcome. I have been running to food for comfort since I was old enough to walk to the refrigerator, and that is a hard habit to break. I do not need a diet. I need deliverance! This is war! I need to contend faithfully for a healthy body weight in 2008. My living room is my war room now. My war room is my prayer closet, Bible study nook, and workout area where I take on hell and fat! I added a few pictures of my war room to my PictureTrail:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18887636&uid=3778596

Trainer Laurie kicked some Green Team butt Wednesday night! This Biggest Loser challenge is so not going to be a walk in the park! We met in the basement of the church at 6:00 p.m. for a 30-minute boot camp workout. Yes, she is a Cathe girl! She tortured us with a move called get-ups that wiped me out. Terminators just might be easier. Laurie loves push-ups just like Cathe. God have mercy on my team because I am the only one who can do push-ups on my knees. The rest of the team started with wall push-ups. They were struggling with those, and Laurie asked what they are going to do when she puts them on the floor too. Oh, she expects me to do big girl push-ups by the finale. Our team is the fattest of the 5 teams, and we came in 4th place. Our team’s starting weight was a combined total of 3,528 pounds with a loss of 39 pounds the first week.

I hope to catch up with personals this weekend. I am reading and praying for y’all throughout the week. It is time for me to get to the office. I had a rough night and still felt queasy when I woke up this morning. After my quiet time, I called my boss and told him I would be late. Cathe kicked my butt and helped me sweat it out with the Body Max 2 cardio blast premix. Mercy! I wore my matching Road Trip tee and smiled knowing that Cathe was stepping in Jersey with me. :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Hi Heather,

Congrats on your 10 pounds!! That is a great way to start 2008. I'm sure your Biggest Loser Teammates are so jealous of you because you can do all those push-ups and Terminators!

I did the Step Only Premix from Cardio Fusion this morning. Very similiar to your workout.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with your eating. I find it harder to keep on track when it is cold and nasty outside. I just want to wrap up in front of the TV and eat comfort foods. Spring can't get here soon enough! Take it one day/one meal at a time. Focus on your goals and you will get through this and you absolutely will be wearing your size 12's on the next road trip!:)

Hello to everyone.

Carolyn

Hi everyone. I am still here and alive. Seems our checkin thread has a few active days per week… maybe we could start a weekly thread instead of a daily thread? That way no one feels intimidated to start the thread each day. Just a thought.

Yesterday I did my first 20 minute non stop run on the couch to 5k program. It felt great and it actually feels easier for me this time around than last time – maybe because I’m already in good cardiovascular shape from spinning and kickbox. Anyway, after my workout yesterday I was doing some plank work and felt some strain in my lower back. I figured I was being a wimp and just kept holding on but afterward, the pain kicked in. I had to go to the chiro last night for an adjustment and I iced it last night. Feels a lot better today but that was a close call. I blew out my back about 2 years ago from running on the treadmill without warming up properly. It’s been tweaky ever since then. I do have some degenerated disks but I manage it pretty well with chiro visits. Anyway, I am so scared that I won’t be able to run anymore on my TM so I need to be very careful. No workout this morning, didn’t want to aggravate anything further. Staying in shape is hazardous to your health. 

Heather, I am sorry that you are having trouble with your eating. I know this is a struggle for you as it is for many of us. I too feel like I have the exercise in the bag but it’s the eating that gets me. I’m really trying to do better. The one thing that I would say to you, and this is in Tosca’s book – is that if you slip up on one meal, you don’t have to feel like the rest of the day is blown. Just get back on track the next meal and don’t fret over your slip up. She points out that the mistake a lot of people make is they make the one slip up, then figure the whole thing is shot so they figure what the heck and just have a party. That’s when you can get into trouble and end up feeling worse in the long run. I like comfort food but to me, the regret makes it so not worth it. One meal occasionally isn’t going to hurt you but letting it get out of control can derail the best laid plans. Hugs to you and great job on those 10 lbs!

Carolyn, well our snow was short lived wasn’t it? I was hoping to have a snow day this week so I could stay home and veg out. No such luck. It’s still pretty cold though. Did you take some “before” pictures for your BFL transformation?

Everyone – I talked to Vicki today and she sends her love. She is the lead in a play her community group is doing and was very behind on learning her lines. She has backed away from all the time on the computer so she can get her lines memorized and get “in the zone” with her part. This is a big deal for her so she’s just really focused on that right now. She misses you all and said to tell you she’ll be back in a few weeks after the show is done.

Hi Teresa,

I did not take any "before" pictures. I was going to have my DD take
some but it seemed like everyone was using my camera for other things and I surely didn't want those to pop up on the screen for all to see. I wish I had used a polariod camera.

Snow was fun but disappointing. The kids were dying for a snow day but to be honest I glad we don't have to make any days up.

Are you going to Jodi's? I'm looking forward to it.

See you then,
Carolyn

Hi PYGFOers.

Heather, good job in overcoming your urge to eat. You and I both know it will be a struggle every day for the rest of your life. (Mine too) I'll keep you in my prayers if you keep me in yours.

Tess, whoo hoo with the running. I had to give it up because of lower back pain. I still run a couple miles every now and then in nice weather, but it used to be my exercise of choice. Thanks for the update on Vicki. Please tell her I miss her, but certainly understand what comes first.

Hi Carolyn. You guys are so lucky to have a group of Cathe fans close.

Hi to any others who show up.

After a roller coaster ride of a week, I'm all set for surgery on Tuesday. If you missed my other posts, my EKG for preadmission testing was abnormal and the doctor had me take a stress test before he would clear me for surgery. I was afraid I'd have to do a chemical test because of the treadmill maybe being too hard for my knee, but it went well and I heard from the office today that I was cleared. Next, I was suprised when I got my forms for medical leave back from the surgeon to find that I'll be off work for 4 - 6 weeks. I thought it was only a week! I had to do some scrabbling to get things in order there. Now I'm all set for sometime on Tuesday. I will be so glad when this is all over and I'm stepping again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.