Pentagenarians & Neyond: W/B 3/1

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

I feel like a slug today, no workout, and I don;t really care. Today is the one year anniversary of losing our beloved Clancy. I can't believe a whole year has gone by. I remember it like it was yesterday. I did not sleep well either, strange dreams I guess, but I hardly can remember them. Another thing, everyone is telling me how stupid we are for planning to go to Mexico, because of all the warnings about violence etc. Now I am stressed about that. I don;t want to belabor all this, so I will check out for today, hope to be better tomorrow.

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, Joan, and Cathy (Drover?)--

This morning I did disk 7 and feel really worked out on this one (55 min.). I added 10 min. of abs with the 8 lb. medicine ball.

Deb, sorry you are not feeling upbeat enough to work out. Nov. 3 is my bad day--what would have been one sister's birthday if she had lived beyond her 44 years, and the day my oldest sister died in 1999. I think it's always a good idea to remember lost loved ones on a day that particularly quickens the heart. Maybe you will have some good memories, too. As for the Mexico warnings, I think it really depends on where you are going in Mexico. I thought it was just the border area that was so toxic. If it's Cancun or Cozumel, won't you be alright?

Welcome to Cathy--and I am 62. I have been working out with Cathe for well over 20 years now, and no, I cannot keep up with many of the things she does anymore. I love her step, but I just have to eliminate the impact wherever I can because of my knees, and I do everything on a lower step.

Saw the Wrestler yesterday. I thought Mickey Rourke was very touching, but I honestly just don't like Darren Aronofsky's films. He has a gruesome imagination, and is overly symbolic--this time making Rourke--the Ram--into a Christ figure. The "ram of God"?--puh-leeze!

I probably won't be checking in tomorrow--jury duty! Ugh! and more ugh! I doubt I will be seated.

Hi everyone,

Cathy I am 58. I use a highly modified Cathe step dvd. A lot of time I will be seeing Cathe's dvd but using Leslie Sansones movements. I don't have problems with my knees unless I use high impact or too high a step.

Deb What a great picture of your dad and his dog. My mother hates to have her picture taken and I'm afraid we won't have many pictures to show Elliot. I think they are more worried about stupid kids on spring break than adults in vacation areas.

Garance I have never been called for jury duty. Try doing some pushups while you're waiting to make sure they won't call you.:p

Hi to Josie and Linny

Joan

Back again to post wo,

I did both disc 5 and 6 so I could say I finished week in time.

I hope I have a chance to do some cardio tomorrow.

Joan

Monday again?

Good Morning,

It's Monday and the start of another week..ugh. No workout today. I have to go to DC tomorrow, back on Wednesday night. There is some storm over the east coast right now I guess and a lot of flights out of Buffalo today are cancelled. I hope the same thing happens tomorrow! Not looking forward to flying or staying at a hotel right now.

Welcome Cathy! Yes, we are all over 50 here, hence the name! Garance is over 60, so that is the "beyond" we added to the name! I am 55, and have been doing Cathy workouts for about 4 years I think!

Garance, too bad about the jury duty, but at least it will be over for a few years. I agree that the Mexico problems are more at the border towns. There has always been warnings about being careful, just common sense type things, but with this drug situation down there, friends are getting worried and keep calling and telling me not to go.

Joan, get a good picture of your Mom while you can. I have the one I posted pinned right in front of me on my computer desk and love looking at it. It makes me smile. ( sometimes not smile, but I am glad it is there. I can't believe you did 2 sts disks in one day!

Hi to Josie and Linny, hope you had a good weekend!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

Yippee! The snowstorm saved me from jury duty. I called the number at 6:30 this morning and everything was cancelled. So I did 5 miles with Leslie again (63 min.), which includes 10 min. of "boosted" walking--actually, jogging.

I cannot believe I am actually happy it's snowing again. It really isn't too bad here--much worse in NYC and Boston and right along the coast. But it is once again frigid.

Joan, I think disk 7 is pretty tough. I definitely have doms in my shoulders and chest today. I used a 20 lb. barbell for front raises and an 8 pound dumbbell for half of the side lateral raises and then shifted to a 5 pounder for the last seven reps, because my shoulders were definitely fatiguing. Lots (!) of pushups.

Deb, where exactly are you vacationing in Mexico? If you are really worried, maybe you can call someone in the government and find out if there are any warnings.

Any snow for you, Linny?

Hi to Josie in sunny lalaland.

Hi Ladies:
We got slammed with a Northeastern,10 inches total.I can't wait till spring,all this snow is depressing.I was looking at my calendar and realized that daylight savings time is on sunday.I thought it was always in April.
Two fellow employees and myself decided to do a weight loss competition.We'll put in $5 a week and who ever loses the most in 3 months gets it all.My DH already told me if I lose weight he'll buy me some new clothes.I know I have to something,my b/p is getting higher and I've been having an increase of being short of breath.:eek:
Deb:I tried posting pictures over here but I can't figure it out.I have my pictures posted on picturetrail under linnyrn. I'm going to start working daily accept on mondays.Did have fun with DGD this weekend.We went to see Hotel for Dogs,she said she wanted to watch it because for every movie pass the donate money to SPCA.She's so cute! My battery is dying, I have to reconnect.~Linny~

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

Deb must have gone to Washington, D.C.

This morning I did disk 8 (55 min.). These STS workouts just seem to fly by because of the variety. Boy, did I ever bomb on those straight arm flies on the incline bench. I took 8s, but next week I'm going down to 5s.

Linny, they changed daylight savings a couple years ago. For some odd reason, they think it's an energy-saving change. I don't really get it. Just when it's beginning to get nice and light in the morning, it goes dark. I guess the idea is to have more light in the late afternoon. We got 8 inches of snow here, but it never worked itself up to Nor'easter blizzard strength. I'm just happy that I didn't have to do jury duty. Money and new clothes are excellent reasons for losing weight, so go for it!

Back to my writing!

Hi Ladies,

Today is my cardio day and I'm feeling much better. I spent my weekend on the road and did not get to workout at all. I was tired.

Cathy, welcome to our group. I'm 52 and have been working out to Cathe for 4 years.

Deb, I hope that you are having a good trip.

Garance, I get called to jury duty every year. I work at UCLA and they know that our emplolyer pays us a full day, so they keep calling us over and over again.

Linny, That is a good incentive to loose weight.

Have a good day!

Josie

Hi Ladies:
Deb: I quess you must be in DC.today.Hope you get a chance to do something fun while you're there.Have a safe trip.
Garance:I thought daylight savings time it was ealy last year too.But this year it seems even earlier.Glad that you didn't have jury duty.If you do hopefully it will be an interesting case.Tomorrow is day one of weight loss.We will be doing a percentage not actual pounds loss.There are 3 of us,2 in our 50's and 1 in her 20's. We will be putting in $5 a week and winner at end of 3 months will collect it all.
Josie:Money and new clothes are a great incentive.I haven't bought any clothes I really love in a long time. Lately I have just been buying for comfort and to cover up fat.I did get on the on elliptical today and plan on doing it tomorrow too.
JoanC:How's those tax returns coming?
~Linny~

Hi ladies--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Kickbox (53 min.).

So what are your strategies, Linny, for losing weight? Any special diets--Weight Watcher's, South Beach, the Zone? Or just cutting down on the culprits--sweets and chips, butter and flour?

I was really depressed the other day listening to the woman doctor on the Today Show (Nancy Schneiderman I think is her name.) say that post menopausal women need to go down to 1200 calories per day just to MAINTAIN their weight. A couple days later they have on this other woman doctor with three "problem" women in terms of their weight, and of course, one of the "problems" is menopause. The woman had gained 40 lbs. since menopause, went from a size 10 to a size 18, couldn't exercise much because of 3 ruptured discs, and the doctor is telling her the weight gain is "normal" and further, it's mostly fat around the middle. She, too, recommended a radical reduction in calories. Meanwhile, she looks like she's in her 20s and petite. The poor woman just looked rather dolefully at her and shook her head. The other two had a problem with a plateau and with hormones. All they had to do is 1) shake their exercise up a bit; and 2) take a medication for the hormonal problem.

Well, that's my rant for the day. I still want a miracle weight loss cure.

Hi Ladies:
Late night at work,late admission came in.Got up early again today and did elliptical.
Garance:Today was weighin.I couldn't believe I weighed the less.We all want to lose about 25 pds by the end of 3 months.I do plan on increasing exercise and watching my intake of junk food.I'm going to start writing everything I put in my mouth.I lost the last time I did that,hopefully it will work again.
Have a great night~Linny~

It's Thursday, almost the weekend!

Good morning all,

No workout this morning..the trip was exhausting. First the endless flight which takes hours to get ready for, wait for, and is really only an hour flight. We flew into Baltimore, much cheaper than flying into DC, but had an hour car ride from the airport to the hotel in Reston Va. Meetings until 7:00...so many talking heads I wanted to scream by that point. Of course a horrible night sleeping, because I can't sleep the first 3 nights in a hotel room, then meetings again until it was time to get in the car again and start the return home. All I can say is I am glad to be back. Today I have to go to Toronto on a sales call...:rolleyes:...another 2 hours in the car to get there etc...I should not complain, I have a job.

Linny, good job on the weight contest! I hate when we have to turn the clocks ahead...just like a kid, it feels like an hour of the weekend was stolen from me!:rolleyes:

Garance, lucky you on missing jury duty! Do you have to go again or are you done? Sometimes they use a call in system, do they do that where you are? I have really not done a good job with STS...I may put this aside for now until I am in a better frame of mind. I have the Chalene series, which is like STS, but the workouts are only 1/2 hour. I don't agree with that DR. about the 1200 calories..I think that is too low, regardless of age, etc.

Josie, glad you are feeling better about doing your workout...send some of that my way please! I took a whole week off!

Joan, we can see you peeking out from under those returns!

Have a great day!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did disk 9, including the bonus (55 min.). I really like STS now, chiefly for the variety in this first mesocycle. Gone are the days of Leaner Legs, which were just endless squats, plies, and lunges. Some very nice bonus floorwork on this disk.

Welcome back, Deb! I'm done until I get another notice in the mail for jury duty. Then you can either postpone within the following year or call the day before to find out if your panel will or will not be seated. If not, then you are done. This was a weather call, so they just cancelled everything. I don't really know how they choose people for jury service, because I seem to get called every other year or so, but I know people who have never been called. I did have one long stint of jury duty (3 weeks) on a civil case several years ago that convinced me I never wanted to do that again. Bloviating attorneys, endless repetition of the same questions in slightly different forms, and infuriating fellow jurors.

Off to lunch at the local Thai restaurant with one of my Jacob's Pillow buddies. We are choosing our programmes for this summer.

A request from the Fulbright committee to direct a doctoral thesis on Sylvia Plath by a Chinese graduate student. Not sure how this works, so I will have to check around this afternoon.

Good luck on the diet, Linny! I hope Deb is right about the 1200 calories being too little. I think I eat about 1800-2000 and my weight is stable at 137.

TGIF!!

Good Morning all.

I am starting a new week of exercise ( hopefully!) this weekend, after a week off.

Garance, glad you are liking STS! I have not been called for jury duty for about 7 years. I got called when I had a Mexico trip bought and paid for and was the association for work I belong to, their annual meeting. I got a postponment and was never called back. I hope they lost my name!

Anyone have exciting plans for the weekend? Nothing really exciting here, my friend and I are going out for breakfast tomorrow, to talk about her daughter's wedding shower plans...nothing else for me..

Have a good one!

Hi Ladies,

I only worked out once this week, but hope to spin tomorrow and a friend invited me to yoga after the sping class. On Sunday I will be walking with some friends and then breakfast at a French Cafe that we love.

I will start on my PUB/PLB and running again next week. I hope that I don't get sick again.

Have a nice weekend!

Josie

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did AOS Providence (50 min.).

Deb, you will have to tell us about Chalean Xtreme (sp?). I am definitely not buying anymore DVDs right now, but give us a review or two when you get started.

No plans for the weekend, although I might go to a movie matinee. I'd like to catch up on my chick-flicks--Shopaholic and He's so not into you.

I am not happy about losing an hour this weekend and waking up in the dark--just when things started to lighten up in the morning.

Tomorrow I sleep in and do Housemax. Pretty humdrum.

ttfn

Hi everyone,

I've logged in 260 returns with 217 finished.

I've kept up with reading forum but not much to say. No wo this week yet. We may see if I can do all three discs Sunday.

It was 80 degrees today but I didn't get out until 5:00pm to pick up my car. I've been working 15-17 hours a day. I don't know why I thought I had an hour a day to wo.

Dh and I will go out to eat tonight. The rest of the weekend is work.

Deb sorry to tell you but my 83 year old mother can only eat 1000 calories.:( Just another reason to keep exercising. I was eating 1550 calories a day when I was losing 1/2 lb per week and exercising. Without exercising much and eating the same I'm not losing anything. I like sts but I know I need cardio to lose.

Joan

Hi Ladies:
TGIF!! So glad the weekend is here.Starting next week we do PCC training so every week for the next 6 weeks we will be doing computer training.Next week 3 out of 5 days I have 3-4 hour classes.I wonder how much other work I'll be able to get done.
Deb: Glad you make it back safely to us. Too bad about all waiting around and sleepless nights.I bet you were something happy sleeping in your own bed.Tomorrow we'll do our usual movie,DH wants to see The Watchmen.Tomorrow night we are going out to dinner with DH's daughter and her boyfriend.It's going to be a Mexican night,Margaritas,Nachos and guacomole Oh My. Have fun with your friend tomorrow.
Garance:Shopaholic was cute,I didn't see He's so not into you.I've heard different things,some like it some don't. You're right about 1200 calories,that doesn't seem like much at all.Did you see the cover of Shape magazine? Julie Louis Dreyfus(Seinfield)was on the front cover.She looks great,can't believe she's 48 yrs old.
Josie:Have fun this weekends with your friends.Sending you Do not get sick vibes.
JoanC:How much longer till those taxes are done?Sounds like you are putting mucho hours.I think I need to send you Do not get work vibes too.
Have a good weekend ladies~Linny~

Yay! It's Saturday!

Good Morning!

The weekend is finally here!
yahoo.gif

I will be meeting a friend for breakfast and talking! Lots of talking! It seems like breakfast is my best event!

Josie, glad you are feeling better.!

Garance, I will tell about CLX, hope to start tomorrow. I am so upset with myself, not sticking with any plans. I thought STS would help me get beyond this, but it hasn't. CLX is sort of like it, with 3 phases, each a month long. There are 3 workouts in each phase, and you repeat them each week for a month before you go to the next phase. The workouts are only 30 minutes, so maybe I will stick to this better.. we'll see. I am not happy about the hour loss either, and it seems to have come so fast, since we did the turn back..

Joan. 80 degrees? where are you again? I can't believe how many returns you have done!

Linny, I did see that Shape mag with her pic on the cover, she looks great! How is the diet contest going?

Have a great day ladies!...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.