Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beg June 1!!

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

It's June and I can cound on one had the nice days we had in May..I certainly hope June has better weather. I still have not put my winter parka away, because believe it or not, I was using it early last week to walk Kelsey in the morning when it was 37 degrees!

We did get some needed rain yesterday.

Today I did 4DS, the warm up, weight work and 22 minutes of the kickboxing. I always use the "Weights First" pre-mix. This way if I get too tired to continue, I have the part I feel is important
done!;-)

Well DH thought the bunnies had moved on...NOT! He was mowing the lawn in the yard and one kicked up and started running around the yard. We couldn't get him to go outside the fence, he ran under something and we lost him. So much for them being gone!

Garance:
Oh..I now remember you getting the furniture. You will have something nice to look forward to when you go back in the fall. How great that your DH would "volunteer" to go see the movie with you. I really didn;t watch the show, I think I saw a few reruns when I was stuck in a hotel one night with nothing to do.. they had a SATC marathon. Other than that, I have no interest in it.

Linny:
Yes Happy Anniversary...you are newlyweds! :D ..DH and I are going on 24 years.

Have a great day and start to a new week!

Deb:)

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did the 4ds Kickbox with Legs and Abs (70 min.). I must be just the opposite, Deb, because I like to get my aerobics done first and out of the way and then settle down to the weight work, ending flat on my back with the abs.

DH and I both really enjoyed the Sex and the City film. It was a bit long, but seemed necessary to work out so many different relationships with the four women characters. Lots of laughs and the usual raunchy stuff with Samantha (Kim Catrall).

We finally did get much-needed rain yesterday afternoon and last night. Sounds like it will be steamy here by the weekend (a Bermuda high headed our way).

Heed my warnings, Deb: those rabbits are NOT going away. Why would they if they have found pleasant digs with no danger? They will be fruitful and multiply, I guarantee.

Well, May is finally over and the mass exodus from campus has begun. Yippee!

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:

Celebrated anniversary last night.Went to The Ashworth on the beach.We had our reception there when we got married.I had the filet migon and DH had the lobster newburg.Both were very good.I made a rasberry buttercream cake for dessert.It wasn't a WW recipe.The frosting had a pound of butter in it.EEK! DH bought me a chocolate diamond necklace from Jared's.Very Chic.
Deb:Sorry to hear your bunnies are still there.I think you're going to have to get them traps.It was very warm here today.It actually hit 80.I also worked out today,did stepblast and tris from PUB.
Garance: I also do aerobics first.I liked to warm up muscles before I lift weights.That was so nice that your DH went to Sex and the city with you.We went and saw The Visitor,it was ok.I don't think I'll buy the dvd when it comes out.
Well gotta go do some internet shopping for fathers day.~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Monday!

Not so happy for me this morning..no workout as I had a really awful nights sleep..:( Not sure what did it to me last night..it may have been that I fell asleep on the couch about 8:00..then went to bed and could not get to sleep..then dozed and woke up about 50 time! ..finally turned off the "workout" alarm at 2:00. Could it be that sponge candy I ate around 7:30? ..Well I paid for that one!

Garance:
Funny how everyone is differnt when it comes to doing the workouts.. I think your DH must be a gem, first for actually going to that movie with you ( was he one of the few men there?), then enjoying it too! Glad you got the rain you needed.. your DH must have been smiling about that :7 ..I am really mad about the rabbits... wait until we are gone for the weekend, they will have a party back there and when we get back, it will be overrun!

Linny:
It sounds like you had a nice anniversary dinner! You deserve it!..and..oh I would love to see a pic of that necklace! Can you put in a link from their website to show us? I don;t think I have ever seen Chocolate diamonds..

Hi to Josie: hope all is well with you!

Have a great day!

Deb;-)

Hi Deb and Linny and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds HIS with chest and back (58 min.).

It's beautiful today and I am off with FIL to pick up my big zinnias, two new perennials to replace the mildewed phlox I gave up on and tossed, nasturtiums, and three tomato plants, and maybe more basil, since DH's early plantings of these are not doing well.

Ooh--I'd love to see those chocolate diamonds too, Linny! DS bought his fiancee's ring at Jared's too.

I just bought two new cookbooks by Fuchsia Dunlop--both Chinese (Szechuan and Hunan cuisines)--recommended by Jeffrey Steingarten (my favorite food writer), and really great reviews at Amazon. They look terrific! I love cooking Chinese.

Aren't you off to pick up Keegan this week, Deb? Sorry about the sleep issue. I have some bad nights, too, but most of the time it's because I am thinking about something too much and cannot erase it from consciousness. Last night I dreamt that I was a turtle in a big fight with a tiger and woke up with a start at about 2 A.M. I was so delighted NOT to be a turtle OR in a fight with a tiger that I went right back to sleep. That was beyond weird. I have never dreamt I was an animal before.

Ladies if you go to Jared.com and look at the LeVian collection you'll see some items with chocolate diamonds.I couldn't pull up my necklace though so I'm not sure if its a journey necklace or not.
Deb: Sorry to hear about your bad night,maybe you're excited about getting puppy and that is causing lack of sleep.I had a bad night too.I haven't had a panic attack since last summer but last night I woke up and it was pitch black.I started freaking out,I had to open the bathroom door to let some light into room.It feels like I'm suffocating and I can't take a breath.I never had these attacks until last summer when all the hive stuff started.Is Garance right about this week being puppy pickup time?
Garance:That is a pretty weird dream,maybe you should get a book what dreams mean.I got a book today too it is Ten years thinner by Christine Lyons.I heard it had great reviews.We'll see.I love Chinese food too,never really cooked anything but stir frys.Tell us if you find a good one(no sushi,please);)
Well older DS finally admitted that he is dating his roommate.He says she is older than him.I already knew this from younger DS.I figure she has to be at least 50.She has a 14 yr old grand daughter.My granddaughter is 14 and I'm 51 so what do you think?Cougar?~Linny~

Good Morning...

Another bad night of no sleep and no workout this morning.. What is up with that? I think I need a sugar/chocolate INTERVENTION! ..again I ate those darn sponge candy at lunch time and after dinner. I drink only decafe coffee once I get to work, then pummel myself with chocolate during the day and after dinner.. WHAT WAS I THINING?? Enough whining..

Garance:
I am so envious that you have big zinnias! I can;t find them around here. We are growing some from seed but we started them too late. Those cookbooks sound interesting... our resident chef! Very strange dream...what do you think it means? ..or do they mean anything? lol!

Linny:
Sorry about your panic attack! I had those regularly about 12 years ago..long story.. it was work related. I'm a little stressed about work right now, ( not like before!) and only 2 days left. We got an e-mail asking for some performance reports on all our managers and all of their non-hourly people and we have to have it in to my boss by June 12.. I am only here today and tomorrow then off to
Chicago, and "supposedly" on vacation next week.. not sure how to get it done before I leave.. needless to say, the managers that work for me were not too happy yesterday at 4:00 when I dropped this bomb on them. So the today and tomorrow will be h@ll! How old is "older" DS? He is dating someone your age? mmmm...interesting! I guess it's a good thing he felt he could tell you about it.

Gotta run!..have a good day!

Deb ;-)

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did 4ds LIS with shoulders, calves, and abs (66 min.).

Sounds like you are overloading on caffeine from the chocolate, Deb. Or, it could be stress-related, which is usually why I cannot sleep--too much on my mind.

Wow, Linny--how old is your son? She's not a cougar, she's a pentagenarian. I, too, get the occasional panic attack if I feel claustrophobic. I have to sit on the aisle in airplanes or I begin to feel trapped.

Bought three perennials yesterday, my big State Fair zinnias, this creeping annual my FIL recommended, two little climbing annuals for the bottom of my wisteria trellises, nasturtiums, tomatoes, and basil. FIL is an enabler and I always end up with more than I intended to buy. Oh well!

Have you seen that Youtube video on the STS series?! It looks like Cathe is going to turn us into superheroes.

Well another 11-7 nurse bites the dust.Friday night she called out sick,then last night she was a No Call No Show.She lasted about amonth.I heard that another 11-7 nurse that was hired last week and just finished orientation quit yesterday.
Deb:Sorry to hear you're had another bad night.I tossed and turned today but I think it was just too hot.Your company doesn't give you to much time for performance reports.Hopefully someone can do your part while you are on vacation.Hope your day wasn't too crazy.When you had panic attacks did you have to take medication?
Garance:Your quite the little gardener.I have good intentions at beginning of season and then we are at the lake so much nothing gets done around here.I did check out the STS series on YouTube,they look pretty buff.My DS is 33 and she is 50 plus.My younger son thinks she is in her 60's.Quite the age difference,don't you think?
Going to lay down for my nap before work,have a great night~Linny~

Good Morning!

No workout again for me.. ..I think my body is telling me something..like REST! Not sure what is going on..I woke up at 3:30, turned over, slept again until the alarm went off at 4:15, then just layed there until 4:45 and got up. No desire to do any workout..even Grace's Woo Hooing could not get me down there...I guess I am resigned to taking a rest week.

Garance:
I think you were right on the caffine from the chocolate..I did manage to stay away from all chocolate yesterday! I had my WW ice cream bar as the only snack, and some almonds, which I eat every day. Wah...I want my Zinnias! Your FIL sounds like a nice gardening companion! Yes.. I saw the YouTube of STS..could they make it any shorter?? I hate to complain but this is taking so long, I almost forget that I ordered it..I am starting to get interested in trying a kettlebell workout, and I have to keep reminding myself that I have STS coming so no more workouts until after that!

Linny:
Wow sounds like you may be the only one left at night..where do they get these people from? When I had panic attacks, the dr prescribed a mild sedative that would calm me down and let me sleep at night..that was my problem, I was worrying so much, I could not sleep, and it just snowballed into a terrible time for me..once I got back on track with the sleeping the attacks subsided and went away. I can't believe the age difference in DS and his friend! It's funny though because we "accept" this when a man is much older, but when it's the woman, we have a hard time for some reason..and I bet it's a lot harder when it's your own son.

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did Cackle and Shriek (59 min.).

Deb, I agree about the STS taking a long time. Did you read the May 2 blog? Sounds like a really complicated process. I would like to get these during the summer, because if I have to wait until school starts, it's going to take me a long time to absorb them, I have a feeling. All these communiques about how to figure them out has me a bit rattled, I guess.

Sorry about the sleep problem. I take trazodone (prescribed) for sleep. It's pretty effective and no side effects.

Linny, that is a real May-December romance. Is your DS looking for a mother-figure, or is she HOT and irresistible? Another one bites the dust on the 11-7 shift. It must really take a toll. Maybe they should really up the pay to compensate for the pain.

Enjoy your day, ladies!

Hi Ladies:

Well another night I had to work as the only nurse.I told supervisor that I was not happy about this and she told me I need to say something to Director.So I did,and she said well the other unit has one nurse and 2 aides for 24 patients at times too.Well this is the reason everyone is leaving.We'll see what happens tonite cause it looked like I would be alone again.Worse comes to worse there are plenty other jobs out there.
Deb:I think you're right that your body is trying to tell you something.I'm sure you'll get plenty of excercise next week chasing after that new puppy. I probably will see about getting med for panic attiacks.They leave such a unsettling feeling after having one.I'm not thrilled about DS's age difference but he does seem happy.
Garance:Have they given any idea about when STS will be out?I didn't order it but I'm interested for some day.Maybe I should sell all these bins of clothing and buy the set:) Do you take trazodone every night so just when you are having trouble sleeping?
I think that he is looking for someone to take care of him.She is a surgical nurse and makes mucho money.My younger DS met her and said she is attractive for her age.Also he could tell that she takes good care of herself.My ex husband and his brothers think she's hot,they are in there 50's. I like your way of thinking on the wage increase.But this company is a Fortune 500 company and I think the way they got there is penny pinching.~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy "Keegan" Thursday!:)

I am off to Chicago today to pick up "Keegan"...first we have to take Kelsey to the dog sitter's, then we go to the airport. It's supposed to be up to 90 today here..( go figure, the first hot day and we are out of town!)..DH watered all the plants last night, I hope they can survive until Saturday night without any rain or watering.

I hope you keep up our thread...Not sure what happened to Josie...I hope she is ok...I will post pictures Sunday!

Garance:
I agree about STS being a very complicated series to produce. Maybe they went a little overboard this time? I really wanted to be doing these before summer, but no luck there. I am also starting to dread having to order and wait for equipment for it too..Do you take that sleep med every night or only when you are having a hard time getting to sleep?

LInny:
Yes..one good thing about nursing I would say is that there is definitely a shortage! You should be able to get another job if it keeps on like it has been with you being the only one there!...YES! sell all those bins of clothes and get STS! Then we can all do it together and post about our woes and results! Maybe DS is going through a "phase" and this will be temporary..

Have a great day and rest of the week! :D

Deb

Hi Deb and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds Bootcamp with bis and tris (62 min.).

I take trazodone almost every night because I feel pretty wide awake at 11. My doctor started me on it when I was waking up with night sweats and couldn't get back to sleep. It's the only medication I take and my doctor, a woman, said it's a lot less expensive and with no side effects compared to meds like Ambien.

Yes, yes, Linny, get STS so we can do it together and share ideas . . . or whine about the difficulty . . . or throw up our collective hands in woe over what Cathe is now inflicting on our over-50 bodies.

Linny--DS sounds like he's found the perfect woman--she takes care of him, she has enough money to support both of them if need be, she's a hottie, she won't get pregnant. Nice!

Deb, I cannot wait to hear all about Keegan and your trip! you will have to post some pics of him in his new home.

I'll keep the thread going, do not fear.

Well another night as the only nurse.But the Director did try to fix problem.She called in a nurse to float between my unit and another but we had a No Call No show so...she had to stay on other unit the rest of night.It looks like tonight I'm the one and only.Thats one thing about all these nurses leaving,the ones left behind end up being screwed.
Deb: It would be nice doing STS with you ladies.If not sale of bins of clothes maybe I can use part of my bonus from work. Have a safe trip to Chicago.Give that little Keegan a kiss for us.He is just too adorable.Looking forward to pictures of Kelsey and Keegan playing.I heard we are actually going to be in the 90's this weekend.So it will be to the lake with us.
Garance:I may go the trazodone route.I told a woman at work about trazodone.She was complaining to me about no sleep and being anxious.She has tried zoloft and welbutrin but no luck.She also has been menopausal for about 6 mos.
I laughed about your description of DS girlfriend.I was actually thinking the same thing about the no pregnancy.~Linny~

Hi Deb and Linny--

This morning I did Leslie's 4 Fast Miles, minus the cackle and shriek (audio-only option). About 50 min.

Boy, did I want to sleep in this morning. It was pouring rain and very dark. They keep talking about a heat wave, but so far it hasn't gotten into the 60s here.

I am almost done with my plantings, and just in time for all that lovely rain.

Linny, I read those articles on HRT in More, but there's not much new information in them. Just the same recommendation to talk it through with your doctor and individualize your options. I swear by the trazodone. Last night DH was all excited about the NBA playoffs, but I went to sleep before the game was over and let him stay adrenalized (word?).

If you get STS, Linny, we can be the over-50 guinea pigs on them and give a report on what kind of impact they have on OUR bodies.

Looking forward to hearing from Deb next week about Keegan and Kelsey's reaction to him.

Bye for now.

Hi Garance,Deb and Josie:

I wonder if Deb has Keegan by now.I can't wait to see some pictures.
Had another night of being the only nurse on unit but at least we got a float nurse to go between units.
Garance:Thanks for the update on info in More magazine.There is an article in AARP that I'm planning on reading this weekend.I wish I had a trazodone for tonight.I usually have a restless night after working all week.I'm off to the lake tomorrow morning so I probably won't be checking in till monday.It suppose to be a hot one.Sunday having birthday party for granddaughters.
Had to smile about your DH being excited about game.Thats one good thing about working nights I don't have to put up with the restless movements of DH when any play-offs are going on:)
I'll seriously check about getting STS.Hope you have a great weekend.~Linny~

Hi to anyone who shows up (doubtful!)--

This morning was my day off, so I cleaned house, just finished watching Hillary, and now I am in my office.

Definitely a scorcher here, so I am just trying to stay cool. Reunion weekend at the college, so the town is overrun with alumni and I try to hunker down in my office so I don't have to run into former students I don't remember anymore. It's odd how I remember the names of the students I taught the first few years, but the more recent ones, I just draw a blank.

I think Deb said she was returning today with Keegan, so maybe we will get a puppy-update tomorrow.

I'm going to watch the Belmont stakes with a vodka and tonic when I get home. It finally feels like summer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.