Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/G 4/27

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did Total Body Cardio Fix from the BB 21 Day program. I am surprised that I didn't blow this off, the alarm company called around 10:45 last night and John and I had to go to the new building to check things out. It wasn't an actual alarm, it was because the alarm was not set. I kept telling the person that we have a 24/7 guard right now because the alarm is not working right, but that didn't matter. :mad:

So, I guess we have pointed out the 2 benefits of menopause! Right. LOL...I think I'll give those benefits back and get rid of the other things that come with it. :)

Lots of HouseMax to do today. I kind of was lazy yesterday, went to lunch then shopping with my cousin, then out for Thai food. Today is going to be all the stuff around here that needs to be done.

Take care, and have a great "rest of the weekend"!

Hi Ladies,

Double spin class today. My DD joined me at body pump yesterday and then we went to lunch :). She really liked the class and was impresses by the instructors going around and making sure everyone was doing it right.

Deb, thank you so much for posting the pictures. I hope that it was not to much trouble.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Josie

getting in siome kind of workout this morning, then going away for a couple days. mt biking and hiking. talk to you all in a few days.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Barre Conditioning. I finished the first workout (37 min.) and did 20 minutes of the second one before stopping--some of the Pilates like moves were bothering my knees. I bought this after reading about Barre3 at Videofitness.com. I went to Amazon, and saw this workout for 10 dollars by the originator of Barre3 and thought, Why not? no shipping with Amazon Prime. I previewed yesterday and thought, hmm, this looks kinda easy. SO WRONG! My legs and butt are really sore. She is a very good instructor and tells you precisely how to feel each move. My legs were trembling. Very isometric as opposed to multiple repetitions. Anyway, I will try to rotate this in with LLA and GG.

I had my annual checkup on Friday, and my doctor noticed that I have not had the over 65 pneumonia shot. So I did that, and it was fine yesterday, but today my upper arm is pretty tender.

Deb, good for you not blowing off your workout. So you are the guardian of this new building? Hope you don't have to patrol the perimeter.

Josie, I loved the pictures and am so glad Deb could post them for everyone.

Lori, I had to read Killer Angels again (just finished it and found it soo good again) and decided to read Gods and Generals because I was fascinated again by the personalities--wonderful portraits of Longstreet and Chamberlain. I also decided to read Battle Cry of Freedom which won the Pulitzer. The other book on my must read list is Ebony and Ivy about the complicity of major northern universities in slavery. I still remember going to the faculty club at Princeton after I gave a lecture there and was shocked by the all-African American serving staff in full dress uniforms. My host said, "Princeton may be the only Ivy League school still living below the Mason-Dixon Line."

Hi to Judy and the hiking/biking Valerie.

Good afternoon ladies!

Yesterday I used workout blender to make a 35 minute premix of gym style legs. Wanted a good weight routine that was not an hour long that would work well with all my barre work. I then did a dream body workout that had 30 minutes of toning and 25 minutes of Barre. Today was BarreAmped. Like you Lynda...I expected this one to be a little easier than the others and let's say I am humbled. Talk about feeling the burn!

Lynda...I looked at Barre Conditioning but went with the BarreAmped and the bootcamp one. Amazon was offering $5 off if you bought both. God's and Generals looked really good then there is a second in the trilogy I have been eyeing. I just put Battle Cry of Freedom in my wish list. Right now I am half way through Jefferson. Once I get through the Presidents I have in my line up then I will skip to Lincoln's era and read Killer's and Angels. Wow, unbelievable story about Princeton!

Josie...I loved seeing the pictures too! Nice that your DD did body pump with you. When I get thru 60 minutes of spin I am spent. Can't imaging doubling one. Great job!

Deb..that stinks you had to go there so late! That would have thrown my Sunday off. Good for you working out!

Hi to Judy and Valerie!

Good morning,

No workout today, Bad night's sleep. Sorry for the long excuse.

We have had a very annoying person, ( think it's a woman but can't tell) calling our house over and over and there is a lot of laughing and noise in the background, like its from a bar. She never says anything when you answer...I thought it was someone "pocket dialing" at first. Saturday night it was around 9:00-9:30..she called about 5 times. Last night she started around 1:30, kept calling, and then started leaving laughing sounds on the answering machine. We got up around 2:00, I called Time Warner to see how to do the call blocking function, and finally got that set up. I had not gone on and activated the "My Services" on line, ( I usually don't care to have another user name and password to jot down), but this was necessary to get her number blocked. Finally got back to sleep around 3:00....so no workout this morning.

Josie, no problem with posting the pics from the ride if you want to send a couple to me when you get on the road, I will post here.

Valerie, have a safe and fun trip!

Lynda, how does the new barre workout compare to P-57? That is the only barre workout I have done and it was a killer for me. I guess you could say that I am the "guardian" for the building by default, because I have the most people in there...the whole first floor reports to me.

Lori, sounds like you made a great leg premix! Can you save these and use them again?

Hi to Judy

Work, then class tonight. Another long day for sure.

Take care,

No workout for me this morning. I went to have my lab/blood work done, and was told the lab tech called in sick. Very irritating. Now I will have to go back again later in the week.

Deb, this is quite different in terms of instruction from the P-57 workouts. Tanya drove me crazy at times on those. This was voiceover instruction, and very precise, with one-on-one, just the instructor, doing the moves. Outdoor setting, soothing music. I also think there was less repetition for repetition's sake, and these very effective one inch moves that I now have doms from in my butt and thighs. There are two workouts on Barre Conditioning, each a little over 30 min. long, which you might like. Sheesh--how irritating to be called in the middle of the night! Any idea who the prankster might be?? Sounds very adolescent.

Lori, you continue to amaze me with your multiple workouts. I will have to take a look on Amazon at the other barre3 workouts. I don't want to OD on them until I see how effective this one is.

Sounds like today will be the only sunny nice day this week. At least we don't seem to get that awful weather hitting the states in tornado alley.

ttfn

Good evening ladies!

This morning I slept in and no workout tonight. DH is leaving tomorrow on a four day conference. He is finishing up packing and I am typing here. We plan to leave in a few minutes to have dinner tonight at our favorite mexican restaurant. Going to feel terible in the morning but so worth it.

Lynda...I love multiple workouts. I am sure you all have noticed by now I get really bored doing the same type of workouts. Saturday I have a ton of time on my hands since DH leaves at 7:00am and gets home about 10pm. So might as well get some good workouts in! Those tornados were just terrible.

Deb...that is insane having a jerk call you like that. How could someone possibly think that was funny. Some people are idiots. Once I create my workout on the blender I burn it to dvd, label it and then it becomes part of my collection. I have created some great Cathe workouts doing this.

Hi to Judy, Josie and Valerie!

Good morning,

A late night last night, but thankfully no annoying phone calls.

Lynda, do they only have one lab tech at the place you go to? I go to Quest labs which is so convenient, and fast. You make an appointment on line, and it takes about 10 minutes. I can even go on my way to work, if it isn't one where you have to fast. No idea who was calling. We didn't get any yesterday so I guess the blocking worked.

Lori, you do mix up the workouts for sure! No rut for this girl! :).

Hi Josie, Judy and the vacationing Valerie,

Leaving this afternoon for Toronto. We are doing a seminar for about 75 prospective customers. Joy. Staying the night and coming back tomorrow afternoon some time.

Take care,

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41:30).

Deb, they have only one lab technician at this medical practice, and if she is not there, you have to go to a hospital for the lab work. Major problem now is that the local hospital just closed, so it's quite a trek either to Pittsfield (25 miles), or Bennington (15 miles), which I don't feel like doing after fasting and getting to the medical practice when they open for taking blood, which, you're right, really takes only about 10 minutes.

Went to see Grand Budapest Hotel. It's entertaining and beautifully composed shots, but as usual, I just don't think the quirkiness works for me. Sorry if you are a Wes Anderson lover. I thought Nebraska was 10 times funnier and more real than this.

Lori, what's your favorite Mexican food--aside from a Margarita, of course?

Good evening ladies!

Slept in today...after my meal last night no way could I get up. Think I was still full. Tonight I needed a good workout so I felt like SuperCuts then followed up with Lower Body Blast leg conditioning drills. Been ages since I have done Supercuts and it just flew by. Really enjoyed it.

Lynda...you are going to laugh at this...I love Chimichangas! My DH cracks up that I get the chicken one as frequently as I do. For apps we do mix it up a bit with the fresh guacamole and salsa bar..delicious! I bought 3 groupons for this restaurant because we go there a lot so might as well save money when they offer! Each groupon was 40% off dinner for 2 not including alcohol. I have not heard of that movie.

Deb...glad the phone calls stopped. I was watching the news today where someone hacked into a baby monitor and was watching a baby sleep then started yelling at the baby to wake up. The parents heard and thought someone was in the room when they discovered the person was watching them over the monitor. Freaking creepy or what? Why do people get there kicks put of stupid stuff like this! Hope Toronto turns out better than it sounds! :(

Hi to Josie, Judy and Valerie!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did High Step Training, Medicine Ball Abs, and part of Stretch Max.
This morning I did a 45 minute indoor cycle workout then had a deep tissue massage, as I am still having some piriformis and hip issues that I can't seem to get rid of. The foam roller helps but it is not enough for whatever I have going on.

Deb-that is awful about the phone calls. I am glad they have stopped.

Josie- I love double spin classes! I used to do them regularly when I was going to Gold's Gym.
Great photo of you and your grandchildren! Thanks for sharing it.

Valerie-have a fun trip!

Lynda-That is irritating that you have to go back again to get your blood test. It looks like they should have another tech available.

Lori-you are really good at doing multiple workouts and using a variety of programs. I like long workouts but I tend to get into a rut and keep doing the same workouts over and over. I'm hoping that Cathe streaming will help me get into doing some workouts that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Also, the new KCMs should be here soon so that will be something new and different.

Greetings from Toronto! The seminar starts in about an hour I hope I can get out of here before the traffic hits It's crazy up here! I don'y know how these people do this every day I love my little city even if it is behind the times and not as sophisticated! ;)

Take care, will check back later

Hi Ladies,

I took a CXWORX on Monday which is a 30 minute class that concentrates on abs, gluteus an back. It was a great workout and will be adding it to my weekly routine. I did not workout yesterday, but today I will be spinning.

Judy and Lori, yogurts a great at mixing up workouts. I like other people to do the thinking for me ;)

Garance, do you go to your office every day?

Hi to Valerie and Deb!

Josie

No workout for me this morning, but I did get my blood work done. In and out, first in line.

Lori, I have had burritos, but never a chimichanga, which is like a burrito, but fried? My favorites are fish tacos and this grilled shrimp quesadilla with a creamy cilantro sauce they make at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I think of Supercuts as similar to Flextrain, but shorter. I like it too.

Josie, yes, I try to spend a few hours every day in my office, writing or doing research or just reading. Yogurts are great at mixing up workouts?? Did you mean "you girls"? I'm with you--I just like to have a dvd do my workout planning for me.

Deb, I remember Toronto being a really cosmopolitan city--a lot of ethnic diversity and great food. Did you drive from Buffalo?

Judy, my niece has piriformis issues and does some PT exercises for them--mostly stretches. Is it painful or achy?

Gosh it's ugly weather here today--feels more like early March than May starting tomorrow.

Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. My DH is gone till friday so I do not sleep well alone. I get creeped out with every noise. Tonight was an upperbody triset premix from the LIS series followed up with my mix of the band work from LLA and Flextrain. Then I finished off with 50 rep bicep challenge. Was suppose to be 100 but I was good with 50.

Lynda...yes chimichanga is a burrito but fried. Oh the calories! A creamy cilanto sauce sounds really good. DH likes fish tacos. Glad you were able to get the lab work out of the way.

Josie...I chuckled at the yogurts to. I just figured you were hungry. :). That class sounds great. Have you done it before?

Deb...hope your travels back were uneventful. I do not think I have been to Toronto. I remember going to quebec when I was 10 years old. My mom packed all 5 kids up in the station wagon and we drove pulling a pop up camper. Bless her. Don't think I would have had the patience to do that. I'll have to talk to my brothers where we went in canada as I just only remember Quebec.

Judy...I have the medicine ball abs that I have yet to try. What is piriformis? It sounds painful.

So I am about to sign off and just looked under the table. Chester our yellow lab just chewed a canister of the little packs of crystal light. He managed to open two of the packs and has made a mess of himself. Obviously I was not paying attention to what he was doing...off to clean....

Good morning,

The trip was good, uneventful. The seminar went well, lots of questions from the invitees so we must have done something right.

Josie, love the "yogurts are great at mixing up workouts"! Computers have a mind of their own sometimes. :)

Lynda, yes we drove to Toronto. It's about a 2 hour drive when traffic is normal. It can get really long if you hit it at the wrong times. They had an accident on one of the highways yesterday morning with a diesel spill, so a lot of the people that registered for the seminar didn't make it. We heard that people were stuck on it with nowhere to go. We are getting the same weather here, cold and rainy. Happy Spring.

Judy, there is one really good stretch for Piriformis issues that really helps. I am sure you are probably doing it. I Googled it when I had some pain there and found some stretches.

Lori, how is your brother doing? Canada is about 5 miles from my house. When I lived on the West side when I was a kid, we used to take the bus to an amusement park in Canada. Bad boy Chester!

Work, home to relax. Travelling, even by car is tiring for me.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a Spinerval. Today I think I will do a core workout and cardio this morning and go to the gym with DH tonight.

Deb-We live about 25 miles from Canada, but I've not been there yet. One of these days we'll get there.
I try to do the piriformis stretches regularly. I've had issues with that and hip bursitis ever since I started running 20 years ago. This most recent issue I think was exacerbated by some of the leg work I started doing with the Cathe workouts. In particular, high rep lunges and leg presses on the high step. I love doing those moves but I must have done something wrong or over did something. The deep tissue massage helped. I am going to go back in 2 weeks or so for another massage.

Lori-the piriformis is a small deep glute muscle that can get very tight and can also press on the sciatic nerve and cause sciatica. For me it was the worst when I was running long distance and the pain was constant. Now it only bothers me when I do certain moves otherwise I don't notice it much.

Lynda-I had PT for it a few years ago and it helped somewhat. I also went to someone who did active isolated stretching, but that was very expensive, about double the cost of a massage so I didn't keep that up. The stretches in Stretch Max using the band are helpful for this too.

Josie-Thanks! I've gotten better at making my own workouts since I moved to Michigan.

Hi to Valerie

Judy

Hi Ladies,

Went to body pump this morning and increases the weight on the squats and now my legs feel like wet noodles. Sorry about the typo, but I guess I was hungry at the time :). It is already 81 degrees here and it is supposed to go up to 97 and the fire season has started.

Deb, I'm with you on traveling, it takes me 90 minutes to go see my parents and I hate it. I'm not used to driving far anymore.

Judy, I'm going to go and get a deep tissue massage before my ride to get all the kinks out :). They hurt but it feels so good after.

Hi to Garance and Valerie!

Josie

This morning I did Athletic Training (56:00). Have not done this one in a long time. The cardio for the first half certainly gets my heart up. AT is a bit like Flextrain in touching all the bases, but the cardio on the step is definitely longer.

Josie, I heard that it was going to 98 degrees in LA today and even San Francisco reached 97 yesterday. Too bad California can't catch some of the rain flooding Florida.

Deb, glad your seminar went well. You really have been busy with work for awhile. Maybe things will settle down now.

Lori, I know what you mean about house sounds. I get very jumpy as well when DH is not around. Is Chester a good guard dog? Nilla?

Judy, leg presses bother me if I go above 4 risers and try to do 5. On Muscle Max I remember being so grateful that Cathe did them with only 3 risers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.