Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B May 11!

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day!

Today I will be doing Legs, not sure which yet. My least favorite workout! I have been switching between S&H, 4DS and Pure STrength. I wish I could find one I want to do today.

Garance:
That Penne ala Vodka sounds interesting! Is it easy to make? I work in the Customs clearance division of FedEx. We are licensed brokers and work pretty closely with Customs and other government agencies ( FDA etc). Customs is part of DHS. I can't imagine a 3 year old that never sleeps, the poor parents!

Linny: Do you have to go in to work tonight?

Josie: Hope you are doing well..

Happy Mother's Day...

Deb:)

Happy Mothers Day Ladies:

Went out with DD and DGD last night for dinner. Had Tarmari Chicken(fresh vegetables and chicken in a tomato sauce) with cilantro rice,food was a little on the hot side.It was good,natural and no preservatives.My DH wasn't impressed,he thought it was kinda expensive for the amount of food we got.He had to have icecream when we got home because he was still hungry.I thought it was a nice change. DD bought me a sterling silver charm bracelet with a nurse,grandma,mother and 2 jewel charms.So pretty,but I think she spent too much.
Deb: Hope your meeting went by quickly yesterday.My DH's niece's husband works border patrol at Canada border.Seems like a risky job.Do you have to get involved in any high risk situations?
According to my MD,women are suppose to have less and less periods until they eventually stop.The problem I have is I'm not shedding the lining at all and it continues to grow.So the progesterone will start the period and the Loestrin is experimental for hives.Fingers are crossed.

Garance: I did tell my MD about what your doctor said about menopausal hives and my allergist thought the same thing.Only my allergist did not suggest a low dose birth control.It makes sense if thats whats causing it.I do hope it works.Your dinner last night sounds De-lish.I'm not sure if I'll do cookout today or what.Its suppose to be in the high 60's.
My DH left to bring RV to lake this morning,only day he could do it because our friend who lives there will be away for 2 weeks and DH wants it down there before then.He's in a hurry for summer to begin.The waterskiing maniac.:)

Josie: Hope you are having a nice weekend with all your family activites.
I'll check in later~Linny~

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds Kickbox with legs and abs (70 min.).

Both sons and future DIL arrived last night with flowers for me. A good thing I made the penne alla vodka, since the steaks were originally intended to feed 3, not five. The penne is enough to feed 6 and is a main dish in itself. It's a really easy recipe by the Italian cook Lidia Bastianich--I love her cookbooks, and almost every week I do one of her scallopine recipes. You can also find the penne recipe at epicurious.com. Tonight we are going out. Both sons and future DIL are playing golf this afternoon.

I don't like doing legs all that much either, Deb. I just have naturally pudgy thighs and it sometimes seems like time wasted, because they ain't gettin' any slimmer from working out. My back and shoulders, on the other hand, really look defined and DH approves my showing them off.

Your DH, Linny, sounds a bit difficult or cantankerous. You must be very good-natured--a patient Griselda. Your charm bracelet sounds lovely. I inherited my sister's when she died, but I hardly ever wear it because it's noisy and I tend to wave my arms about when I'm teaching. I really do like it, though, because it reminds me of my sister and her various enthusiasms reflected in the charms.

Lovely spring weather here today.

Back to some grading before the evening celebration.

Hi Garance:
I'll have to check out Lidia Bastianich's cookbook.I love to cook and really like Giada de Laurentiis's cookbooks.I have 3 of them.Hope fun going out tonight.I also have pudgy legs right now,and seem to carry alot of extra weight on my arms.I can see the muscle definition but also the layer of fat trying to hide it.
You have hit the nail on the head with DH. He can be so sweet,but he can be a real poop at times too.I am a very laid back person and its a good thing or we probably would have killed each other by now.}(
Just to let you ladies know,right now on FitnessFly.com you can get free shipping for purchases over $50 and 15%off if you use MOM code in shopping cart. I bought the 3dvd set with Christy,Rob Glick and Benson for 47.99 plus the 15% off.This deal is only good till 5/12/08.So get it while you can.~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy Monday!

Today I did a 44 minute I-Tread.. very tough, as I upped my speeds a bit and burned 344 calories.

I hope everyone enjoyed their various Mother's Day celebrations.

Linny:
That dinner sounds wonderful! cilantro rice:9 ..Your DH sounds like a "meat & potatoes" kind of guy. I bet the bracelet is beautiful. Don't fret about the price! Your DD wanted you to have something special! Border Patrol is another agency withing the Department of Homeland Security. My job is not dangerous at all. The Customs brokers mostly work with paper, we only see the freight part when we work at a relase office on the border, which I did a long time ago. Before 9/11 things were pretty relaxed and fun. Now it's a different story. I hope the meds work and you get some relief this coming summer.:) I never heard of that website, I will have to check it out.

Garance:
I am going to go over to that website and see if I can find that recipe. It sounds like you had a nice day with your DH, sons and future DIL. We had rain later in the afternoon, but were able to do some work in the yard before it came down. Just enough to make it ugly for DH to cook on the grill!

Have a great day!

This morning I did a Leslie Sansone 4 Fast Miles with the music only (50 min.).

I just ate my leftovers from last night. I had my Manhattans (2) and a crabcake appetizer and a Provencal Sole entree. Very nice. Everyone's meal was excellent and we had a nice leisurely dinner before sons and future DIL drove back to Boston. Yesterday was so gorgeous, while today is incredibly windy and much cooler. The rain that we need passed to the south of us. I should not complain, though, because it seems like every day there is a tornado disaster in the southeast or midwest, and today a massive earthquake in China.

I bet your job has really become intense, Deb, post-911. It seems like everything has a darker tone these days. I guess it's the never-ending war that makes so many people pessimistic about the future. Even my students seem less than their usual carefree selves this spring.

Back to grading. Blech!

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:
Well tonight starts another week.Deb to answer your previous question,I only work Mon-Thurs night.Which each more than enough working this shift. I hope you were able to check out the website on dvds.
Garance:I hope grading is done soon for you.Too bad about the rain yesterday.We actually didn't get any.But its looks like tonight we'll get some.
I'm going to lay down for awhile before work.So have a good night ladies~Linny~

Good Morning!

Today was upper split so I did the Chest & Back from Pyramid Upper Body. I wish Cathe would come out with another pyramid style workout! This is one of my favorites. What workouts does everyone have planned for today?

Well I am up another pound! . No more sponge candy for me! I put the last 4 pieces in DH's lunch. Now I won;t have that around to tempt me.

Garance:
Don't you like when you have good leftovers to use the next day for a meal? Yours sounded great, for those that like fish. I am not too fond of it, although I wish I did like it, because it is so healthy and low calorie. Not too sure about the 2 Manhattens though! LOL:D I would be celebrating too if I was off for the summer! Yes, 9/11 changed our whole lives. Being in the business I am in, I guess I see more sides of it. Everything we do has security as it's basis now. Customs used to be about making sure all duties were being paid but now it is all about preventing another attack, or intercepting shipments of weapons of mass destruction. I guess we should be glad that this is what they are doing. You would be surprised at the things they find.

Linny:
So you actually start your week on Monday evening, over Tuesday? You don;t have to go into work on Sunday evening? That is a nice schedule for that shift. So you only work 4 days? I didn't get to the site yet, still trying to not purchase any more workouts until STS is over. I know I will be buying extra equipment for that one. I caved and bought one of the P90X + workouts that looks like a killer. I haven't tried it yet. ARe you still doing WW?

Hi to Josie!

Have a great day!

This morning I did Jari Love's Get Chiseled and Ripped (62 min.).

I am so trying to be good about not buying stuff, too, Deb. When I'm grading I have a tendency to feel very sorry for myself and go to the internet and begin to shop. It's terrible! I also get these e-mails saying 15% more off your next purchase, or free shipping, or new styles of Clark's, and then I get tempted. It's just too easy to shop online.

Four days of that shift sounds like plenty to me, Linny. Are you compensated more for being willing to take that shift?

Watched DWTS last night. I think Marissa should be the next to go.

Student interviews this afternoon, then more grading. Mantra: DO NOT SHOP TO REWARD YOURSELF!

Deb:I agree with you on the pyramind series.Its one of my favorites,especiallt since I like to do one body part per workout.
Yep,still doing the WW.Actually down 5pds since I started.I'm good watching points and then the weekend comes and all h*ll breaks loose.What is sponge candy?
My third shift hours are going in at 10:45pm on monday then last night is going in on thursday night at 10:45pm.I try to sleep a few hours friday morning then up rest of day till regular bedtime.
Garance:I know what you're saying about those tempting emails.They always seem to suck me in.I can't resist a deal.As you can see I bought the 3 dvd set with the 15%off Mothers Day deal. I do get an extra $3 hour for working third shift.Which is better than some places I've worked third shift.Good Luck with the grading,hope it goes quickly.
Josie:Hope all is well and you are staying safe.~Linny~

Good Morning All!

I slept in this morning, no workout for me. Last night at about 12:30, DH was doing his bad snoring, so I went downstairs to sleep on the couch. This is the room where the parrot ( Fritz) is. Well I was just getting back to sleep when Fritz fell off his perch and of course all the bells and dangling things in his cage woke me up.. back to sleep again, and he does it again..I'm thinking.."what the heck is wrong with him?"...when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see this "thing" swooping around the room A BAT! I rushed back upstairs, woke up DH and we got him to fly out the front door.. now this is about the 5th bat we have had in 23 years in this house..we can't figure out how they get in.. ugh..I hate them, they give me the creeps..DH and I are professional bat removers, so if you get one, give us a call! ..Today I am calling Fritz "Bat Bird"!

Garance:
I also have a problem with "shopping" on the internet! ZAppos is one of my favorites. Do you use Ebates? That is another thing that makes you buy more! They give you 6% back on Zappos purchases, and there are a lot of other sites that they give you money back on..eg Teleflora is what I use to send flowers, and you get 10% back through Ebates on any purchase from them on line. DWTS was pre-emted here for some crazy guy on a city highway, out of his car waving a gun around and threatening to kill himself..It was a 3 hour stand off..cutting into the first hour of DWTS. So needless to say, my taping was all messed up.. though the local station decided to start the whole thing from the beginning and show it in total.. I missed the last hour.. I will watch last night's tape and see which dances I missed.. they usually replay most of dance anyway..

Linny:
Cudos to you on the 5 lb loss! Here is a link that shows a good picture of sponge candy:
http://www.spongecandy.com/..it is addictive for sure! An extra $3 per hour is pretty good for working 3rd shift. We pay 15% of the base pay for those on that shift. Did you see the WW blueberry scone recipe someone posted on the Open forum? I copied it and will try it hopefully this weekend. I wanted to add protein powder to it.. but not sure if I need to also add more liquid to compensate for the extra dry stuff..

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb and Linny and Josie--

This morning I did Cardio Dance Fusion (45 min.).

Your bat encounter with the snoring, the parrot falling off his perch, etc. sounds like a sitcom episode. It really cracked me up. But I am also sorry you didn't get any sleep. I would be a basket case today after such a wild night.

Gosh it's beautiful here today--sunny and going up to about 77 degrees. I didn't have to put on a jacket this morning when I left.

Hey Linny, that's great about losing 5 pounds. What happens on the weekend--is it going out to dinner that does you in?

Marissa did get eliminated this week. The best part of the show last night were the youth couples. Sooo cute! Now I suspect the one woman left on American Idol will get eliminated tonight, and it will come down to the two Davids.

Back again to grading!

Hi Ladies:
Deb:What a night! I'd be freaking out.We had a bat in the house a few years ago.My DH thought it came down the chimmney.I ran and hid in bathroom till DH got it outside.Good thing you had your guardbird to warn you.Went to the sponge candy site,looks yummy.Does it have a soft or crunchy center?I'll have to check out that blueberry sconce recipe.
Garance: It was only in the low 60's around here.Thats the one thing that stinks with about being close to ocean,takes forever to warm up around here.I think my biggest problem on weekends is the drinks,then I let my guard down on my food choices.Usually saturday night I spurge on the meal,then I feel guilty later and say the hell with it and pig out.I need to stay focused on the goal.Good Luck grading.
Hi Josie!~Linny~

Good Morning!

Just did the shoulder, bicep, tricep work from PUB.. I forgot to hit the "start" button on my HRM, had the wrong shoes on, I must have been still asleep when I started.. but at least that is done! It's rainy here today. I wish we would get some nicer weather!

Garance:
I think I mentioned that this was the 4th or 5th bat we have had in our house.. we have a church a few blocs away that has a belfry...you know the saying..I love the young couples on DWTS...these will be our future Pros! I think the older couple was the best..I guess Marissa was the right one to go, however, I don;t think Jason should have made it this far, or Christian either.. they don;t seem to have the same high dance qualities that others at this point have had in past years..like Mario, Drew, etc..

Linny:
Yes, Fritz the "bat bird" finally contributed to the household ! He has been here for going on 30 years and I has never earned his keep until the other night! The sponge candy is crunchy on the inside. What city do you live in again? If you have one cheat meal a week, you will be ok.. I actually plan my cheat meal! the problem with me is that I sometimes have 2 or 3, which is why I am up 3 pounds right now!

Have a great day!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt (46 min.). It's a really nice change of pace--done barefoot, continuous movement, a lot of dynamic stretching, good abs. Felt really good after this one.

A bit gloomy here today, but barely a sprinkle this morning. DH is getting very worried about hay. Everyone thinks rain is a bother, but we really need a soaking here, or the grass won't grow, and the horses won't have much, and the price of hay will go up. (Just voicing the first things out of DH's mouth this morning. Weather is a really BIG topic all summer in my house.)Speaking of DH, last night I'm folding his wash (he did it) and notice this peculiar smell. It turns out he spilled diesel fuel on one of his jeans/shirt combos, so now ALL of his shirts and jeans smell yucky. He should have washed them separately with some febreze. Duh!

Just a few papers left to grade, and then exams, which go by fast.

Taking my thesis student out to lunch, then a dept. meeting to decide honors, awards, and then a reception where they show off faculty publications (I will have a few things there.).

I've heard parrots need a lot of work--with preening?

Planning a cheat meal is a very good idea. Do you decide on how many calories you will give yourself or is it the menu?

Have a great day!

Deb: No rain here today,but sure looked like it was going to this morning.I live in Hampton,which is a vacation town in the summer.The traffic is starting to pick up on the weekends now.We lose our town till september now.How long does a parrot live anyway? 30yrs sounds pretty old.That sponge candy almost looks like a Butterfinger.
On weekends sometimes my cheat meal turns into a cheat day.
Garnace:Its a good thing your DH didn't wash your clothes with his.My DH has been doing more of the laundry since I started 11-7.I quess he got tired of waiting for clean underwear}(
I hope you had fun going out for lunch with student.Did you have something yummy?
Well tonight is last night of my 4 day stretch.Yippee!I hope you ladies have a great evening.~Linny~

Good Morning,

It's Finally Friday! I am not working today, so I have not done any workout yet. I will be having some coffee, then will do one of my new I-Treads, after DH leaves. I have 8 more days of vacation left, supposedly to be used before June 1. That isn't going to happen! I will use 3 of them, then carry over the other 5. So next vacation year ( Starts June 1) I will have 6 weeks to use.

I am getting so excited about getting our new puppy. Three weeks from today we will be in Illinois picking him up! We have been communicating with the breeder almost every day. Last night she send a list of instructions about what to bring with us etc, and what we will need to do once we get him home. Mostly basic stuff, but she is so caring and responsible. You can tell that she wants to make sure these little ones that she has "raised" will be getting good care once they leave her home.

Garance:
That workout sounds almost like a bearable yoga type workout. I hope the weather improves for your hay crop. I can see why your DH would be worried! I can't believe he washed those clothes with others! That's a man for you! Congratulations on having your publications shown off!;-) Parrots are pretty easy, there is no preening to do or anything. You just have to trim their nails about once a month. They are messy though, and if you go away for more than one night, you have to have someone come to your house to feed and check on them once a day. My cheat meal is whatever I want for one meal.. so if we go out for Mexican food for example, I eat whatever I want, chips, etc. Because portions are so big in restaurants, I usually only eat half of the meal, then take the rest home for another dinner later in the week. ( I know that sounds like I am getting 2 cheat meals, but since I only ate half, it's ok!..that's is my rule anyway!:7

Linny:
You should be on your way home right now, getting ready for your weekend! Hampton in Virginia? A parrot can live up to 50 years! I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I have had him for about 28 years, and he was about 1-2 years old when I got him so he is almost 30 now. The funny thing is, they don;t change at all...he looks exactly the same as he did when he was 5 or 10! Don;t you wish we were like that.. like maybe we could stay the way we looked at 20? :7 The sponge candy inside is like a hard sponge, it's hard to describe the taste but it is delicious!

Hi to Josie!

Have a great day!

Deb

This morning I did my cackle-and-shriek Leslie (just under 60 min.).

Oooh--look at those puppies Deb. I thoroughly understand your anticipation. Do you have any idea what you will name him? It sounds like the breeder really wants to be sure every puppy has a good home.

Linny, I thought you were in New Hampshire (?). I think DH and I have driven by Hampton a million times on our way to see the older son who went to college at Bates. I know what you mean about a town being taken over during the summer. From September until June, our town is taken over by students, and the summer is dominated by out-of-towners who go to the summer theater, the art museums (3), Tanglewood, and Jacob's Pillow.

Tonight is the President's annual party--food, casino, and a swing dance band (yippee!). I'm puttin' on the dancing shoes for this. Tomorrow is the end-of-year shebang for Rural Lands, and DH is getting some kind of surprise gift for being on the board and its Pres. for several years. Busy weekend.

Still have 3 papers left, and then it's exams. Gettin' there bit by bit.

Hi Deb,Garance,and Josie:
I'm dragging,only 3 hours of sleep today.I don't dare sleep too much because I won't sleep tonite.
Deb: Thats wonderful having 6 wks vacation time.I only have about 2-3 days.It seems to take forever to accumulate any earned time at this new jobx( Oh those puppies are so cute.I wish I could get one too.I'm so happy for you.
I actually live in Hampton,NH.Its a nice town,except the driving during the summer months.You have to time your grocery shopping or you could be stuck in traffic for hours. i didn't realize parrots lived that long.Can you train BatBird to talk?
Garance:You are right about me being in NH.Sounds like you have quite the evening ahead.I really liked doing swing when DH and I took lessons.I hope DH and you have great time.My DS's birthday is tomorrow,he'll be 21.So tonight he has some friends taking him out at midnight to buy his first drink(scary).I hope they act responsible.~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.