Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B June 15!

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

I never got a chance to post yesterday, with Father's day stuff going on and the little "spitfire" to take care of. Today I took off the morning, ( I am taking the 4 hours that I worked last week while on vacation)..to ease Keegan into being alone. I will go in this afternoon, I sure hope he can make it until I get back by 5:30. It will be the longest he has been left in the crate.

I did MM legs yesterday and and I-Tread this morning so at least I am keeping up with the workouts.

Garance:
Your menu sounds yummy!:9 ..mac & cheese is one of my favorite things! The posting of pics is very strange.. I have no problem on the other thread, only this one..I am almost tempted to write to Chris on the Ask Cathe thread and see if they can find out what is wrong.. I do the exact same thing for both threads and the pics never show up here.

Linny:
Glad you had a good time at the lake..did the hives come back? I don;t think there will be any impact stuff in STS..since there is no cardio, only weight work from what I have read on the Blog.

Josie:
I hope you had a good weekend. Did you get to work out at the gym?

Have a great day!

Deb:)

Hi Deb, Garance and Linny,

We had a good weekend. Saturday was a bit cool for us, but Sunday was warm and a nice day for the beach.

I did get my workouts in. Saturday I did my training with Mimi and then I did the elliptical for 30 minutes. Sunday I went to the dunes as usual then went home and made my DH a big breakfast and gave him his card and gifts. He was a happy camper the rest of the day.

Today, I plan to go to the gym here at work and doing the elliptical and ab work.

My DH and DD and I are going to Puerto Vallarta form July 9th through the 13th. I want to loose at least 5 pounds. Wish me luck.

Have a great day everyone!

Josie

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds HIS with chest and back (58 min.).

Linny, that menu sounds like a "you only live once, so live it up" meal. Lamb and carrot cake--yum! May we assume that there were no hives because you didn't mention them?

Our cookout was fine--no rain. My blueberry cobbler was a big hit, and I cannot get over how easy it was--Bill's Blueberry Cobbler at epicurious.com. I doubled the blueberries to 4 cups--my only change. The crust was sooo crunchy and almost caramelly. Served it with vanilla ice cream. FIL was in 7th heaven. DH loved it too. I will definitely make this again. FIL loves mac and cheese, so he was very happy about that as well. He left the table early to watch the end of the US open, and eventually we were all watching when Tiger made that impossible putt. Wonder if he'll rob Rocco today.

Yeah, Deb is right about STS--it's all weights. The acronym is for Shock Training System I think, which does have connotations of impact (or electrocution!), but I think it's all weights. I am really curious to see how "revolutionary" it is on this old body of mine.

Deb, good luck on leaving little Keegan. Does he have any comfort toys with him?

Hi Josie!

Hi Ladies:

Deb:Hope Keegan was able to maintain till you got home.I didn't get hives at lake but I did get them all over my hands when I went grocery shopping today and yesterday.Its either from the air conditioning or putting my hands in the coolers.Itch like crazy.I still have a little more reading to do on STS.Will I have to buy a bunch of equipment? I really like that pullup bar.
Garance:No hives this weekend but I didn't go into water and only rode in boat when it was well over 70's.I will definitely check out that blueberry recipe.Looks like we are going to have a bumper crop of blueberries this year at the lake.Last year it was the pits not even enough to put into pancakes.I did see that shot by Tiger Woods,OMG,I quess thats why he's the champ.
Josie:Good luck at Puerto Vallerto Farm I wish I had only 5pds to lose.I need to lose at least 20.Have a good time there.
~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy Tuesday!

Today I was up at 4:15, did MM Upper Body split. Keegan was good yesterday. I left him at about 12:40, my cleaning lady was still here so she let him out before she left, ( probably around 1:30) and he was ok when I got home at 5:30! Success so far!;-)

Josie:
Glad you had a good weekend! It sounds like those injuries are behind you and you are getting in some good workouts!:) How exciting that you are going to Mexico! I am sure you will be able to get the weight down, and with all the activities there, you will not gain at all!

Garance:
I will have to go over to Epicurus and get that recipe! :9 Do you have your own Mac & Cheese recipe? I am such a Mac & Cheese addict that I can eat it from those 3/$1.00 box ones and be very happy!

Linny:
So I guess the trip to the grocery store confirms that it is the cold that brings the hives on. How lucky that you are growing blueberries and now you have a good recipe to try with them!

Have a great day!

This morning I did 4ds LIS with shoulders, calves and abs (66 min.).

Deb, I have a very simple microwave recipe for mac and cheese. You melt butter in microwave, add flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper with milk and a few drops of tabasco and then on power 80% gradually make the roux for 4-6 min. whisking every 2 min. until thickened. Throw in a couple cups of grated cheddar or a combo of cheddar and swiss or gruyere and melt, then some already cooked al dente macaroni, stir, and put in the microwave another 5 min. on 80%. Works every time. Sorry I cannot remember the proportions, but if you are interested, I will remember them for you next time.

We had a terrible thunderstorm yesterday afternoon with hail that literally covered the ground. Scared the cows and made a mess of my hanging plants and our gardens. Very disappointing after all the work.

Wow, Linny, you have really aroused my curiosity about those hives. Are hives a vascular problem (blood vessels) or a neurological issue (nerves)? Or is it the skin reacting to some irritant like poison ivy? It just seems very mysterious.

Lucky you, Josie--off to Mexico. We'll be heading off to the Jersey Shore in July for a week to 10 days. My workaholic DH cannot seem to drag himself off the farm for more than that.

Hi Ladies,

I will be taking the hard core class tonight and might get on one of the machines for 30 minutes.

Linny, My DM and I get hives when we are stressed. I have not had an episode for years now, but my poor DM has them all the time.

Garance, That mac and chees recipe sounds great! I will make it for my DD.

Deb, It seems that you are having a great time with your new baby.

Josie

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:

I had another nurse to work with last night.Yah!Its nice getting out on time in the morning.We had a little potluck at work and I brought in a chicken spinach lasagna which was a big hit.
Deb:Glad to hear things are falling into place with little Keegan.Kelsey getting warmed up to him yet? I can't wait till blueberries are ready. They are the little wild ones that have alot of flavor.Yum.
Garance:Sounds like you had quite the storm last night,we only had rain. Ihate driving into work when its raining,those windshield wipers put me to sleep.The doctor says I have chronic Urticaria,which are hives caused by either stress,cold or heat(excercise).They still don't know if its a hormonal thing or what.My mother don't me she got hives about 3 years ago from getting the flu shot.She said it lasted about a year and only happened when she showered or exercised. That mac and cheese recipe sounds like a great on eto make when I'm working this shift(easy)
Josie:Does your mother have a trigger for the hives? Weird isn't it.Glad you haven't had any attacks.They are so painful and itchy,drive me crazy.Good luck with your hard core class tonit.~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Hump Day!

No workout for me today..I have to be at the office by 7:00 to meet up with a group to go to Niagara Falls to do a seminar for clients.

It was so funny yesterday...I got home for lunch and Keegan was frantic to be let out of his crate. He hears me come in the outer door, and before I can get the alarm off, he is making all kinds of pitiful sounds, crying etc. I let him out and all is well, after he calms down. Well last I got home expecting the same thing...no noise, no crying, uh..oh.. what is happening. I open the inner door and am greeted enthusiastically by 2 Dogs! WTH?? I know I put him in the crate. The door was still closed..?? Well the back side was not hooked up right so itcaved in and he climbed over and out! I am not sure how long he was out.. did not see any damage ( except he may have done some wetting somewhere, not discovered yet ..we'll see) I guess he had a good time...Even Kelsey didn;t seem too upset by him being around..maybe they bonded when I was not around.

Garance:
Yumm for your mac & cheese recipe..please give the amounts! We also had 2 hail storms the day before yesterday..and the first one dented my carx(

Josie:
That Hard Core class sounds great..is it all weights?

Linny:
You had help at work..Yeah! It sounds like your hives may run in the family..maybe yours will go away like your DM's did. Does hyrocortizone cream help?

Deb

This morning I did Leslie's 4 Fast miles (50 min.).

It was really hard for me to get up this morning because I stayed up to watch the Celtics obliterate the Lakers. Yay!!

I promise to bring in the measurements for the mac and cheese recipe tomorrow. It is the easiest recipe, believe me, and tastes wonderful.

Keegan must be very clever if he has already managed one Houdini escape. Maybe Kelsey helped him??

I will have to look that up--urticaria. Sounds exotic.

Josie, do you have to pay for the personal trainer? How much do personal trainers cost these days??

Hi Ladies,

I went to the gym during my lunch hour and did the elliptical for 35 minutes and abs, tonight I plan to do the stairs some squats and lunges.

Garance, I pay my trainer $50.00, but the going rate at my gym goes from $65. to $85. depending on how many sessions you buy. I pay her under the table and she usually trains me for 1.5 hours.

Deb, In the hard core class we use the rebock hard core board, bands, hand weights, heavy ball and the jump rope. The instructor makes it fun, because she does something diffrent every time.

Linny, When my DM gets the hives is because she is under a lot of
stress.

Have a nice evening ladies.

Josie

Deb: So cute about Keegans Great Escape.Maybe Keelsey helped him out.Have you found any Keegan "accidents" yet? Hope your trip to Niagara Falls went well.I have tried hydrocortisone before without luck.I've been thinking of wearing gloves while shopping. I've decided to buy the STS series,I think I'll be more likely to lift weight regularly than do cardio.
Garance:My DH stayed up past 1am watching interviews after game.Too bad I missed it.I bet it was pretty exciting.I found out last night when I went into a patients room to give med and saw Celtics dump bucket onto coaches head.
Josie:OMG you must be one buff mama.I wish I had the energy to workout on the days I work third shift.Does your DM get hives all over or just on specific areas?
Well tonite I have a float nurse so I hoping for a quiet night.Going down for my nap now.Have a good night~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy Thursday!

No workout again for me today:( ..I was so tired, and fell asleep early. DH was at a club meeting and came home around 10:30, woke me up and had to tell me all the "news" about the club goings on..

I'll bb in a bit

This morning I did 4ds Bootcamp with bis and tris (62 min.).

Okay--here's the recipe for mac and cheese.

Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in microwave for one minute on 100%.

Whisk in 2 Tbsp. flour, 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. salt, 4 drops Tabasco, and 1 1/2 C. milk.

Thicken in microwave at 80% for 6 min., whisking occasionally.

Stir in 2 C. cheese. Sometimes I do all cheddar, sometimes half cheddar and half swiss or gruyere. This should melt easily.

Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 lb. macaroni, already cooked al dente, and cook on high for 5 min. I sometimes wait until shortly before the rest of the meal is ready to do the final 5 min.

Linny, if you wear gloves to the grocery store I bet you will make a real impression: "Is she a germophobe?" "I wonder what's wtong with her hands?" "Is she trying to be a la-de-dah LADY?" "Weird!" You will have to let us know how many stares you get. I did see the gatorade poured over Doc Rivers' head. One ruined suit! Bill Russell was there, hugging Kevin Garnett, and Pierce was ecstatic. It's been a long time. Did you follow the Celts in the 80s? Pure gold.

Interesting Josie on the personal trainer. My younger son works for a gym called CATZ--an acronym for Conditioning and Atletic Training Zone--and puts together whole conditioning plans for teams, individuals, etc. I don't think he gets paid as much.

What kind of club does your DH go to, Deb?

Deb:You must be busy with that new puppy.Hope everything is ok.
Gaance: Thanks for the mac and cheese recipe.Looks like a good quick meal during the week.About the glove~I thought maybe I could put some rhinestones on it and tell everyone I was related to Micheal Jackson;-).I finally did it.Bought STS today.So now I can complain about muscle soreness with all of you.}(
Josie:Keep safe.~Linny~

Good Morning & Happy Friday!

So sorry I did not get back to post more yesterday..We are trying to get a good schedule down for workdays so that we give Keegan every opportunity to " do his business" before we go to work. DH says I am obsessed with it. I just want a clean happy dog.

Garance:
Thanks so much for the recipe. I may try it this weekend. It sounds like you are enjoying your rotation of 4DS again. I still think this is one of Cathe's best series..and I don't even do any of the step or Bootcamp cardio parts. Very interesting that your son has a career in fitness.. I wonder if he got that from his Mom:7 ..Did he ever put a fitness regime together for you?..The club I was referring to in my post is our dog training club. It is an AKC affiliated club that has been around for 50 years! DH is the treasurer, I am the Training Coordinator.

Linny:
Yea! You bought STS! I am looking forward to doing this with each other ( if it ever gets here!)I think I will purchase that pull up thing that Cathe will be selling. I read that it won;t be ready when we first get STS:( ..and we will have to make do with bands or a door pull up bar ( which I have but still can't even do one!). Not sure about any of the other things she recommends like the "Perfect Push Ups" or weighted vest. I would be happy to finally get the STS series.

Josie:
I am sure you are getting those workouts in. Have you gone to the gym and done the Hard Core workout again this week?

Have a great day!

This morning it was Cackle and Shriek (just under 60 min.).

Yes, Deb, I think 4ds is one of Cathe's best and it came at a time when I wanted some shorter cardios. Next week I won't be doing any Cathe. I've been alternating weeks of 4ds with a week of Jari Love, Christi Taylor, Leslie Sansone, Ellen Barrett and Cardio Dance Fusion by The Firm.

So you think . . . dance was really good this week. I think it would be interesting some time if they did same sex couples. It might transform the choreography in some interesting ways. The guy who was eliminated last night was very athletic and balletic, and matched with a Miami salsa dancer he just didn't do that well.

My younger son says that he has worked out conditioning programs for women LIKE me, but he's never done more than cheerlead me on with my early morning endeavors. He was a soccer and basketball star through high school and college. My older son was a wrestler and track star. Both sons very athletic. When I was in high school, I hated P.E. and was so happy when I no longer had to take it in my senior year. All I wanted to do was dance on weekend nights and go to the beach in the summer. I belong to the pre-aerobics generation.

Linny as Michael Jackson! Love it!

Have a great weekend. I might get DH to go see the Get Smart film. Looks funny.

Good Morning Ladies,

Today is my day off. I do not work out and I eat what I want.

Tomorrow I will be training with Mimi and doing a spinning class.
Suncay I will be doint the dunes.

Deb, I did go to the hard core class yesterday and the instructor was so hiper that we had a very hard workout. It was great!

Linny, My DM gets the hives only where ther is elastic touching her skin.

Garance, I grew up with 7 brothers and I was a tom boy, so I was very athletic growing up. I'm also the oldest.

Have a great weekend!

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.