Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B July 4th

fox2star

Cathlete
Happy July 4th!

I just finished STS disc 37 legs. whew.. good workout, but I had to FF through those rests...too long...

A cookout today at my cousins, we are smoking some ribs right now, the slower the better. Also bringing chips and guacamole..yum.

Not much else going on, more HOuseMax and GardeMax while the weather is still nice.

Later...

Last edited:
Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did disk 28 for chest and back (65 min.). Wow, those 30-pounders have really made a difference. I'm glad there are only 7 reps this week.

Made my raspberry buttermilk cake this morning, took Max to the local parade which seemed to thrill him. He is soooo good--no barking, just trotting happily along.

Today is absolutely lovely, but from what I understand, a big heat and humidity wave is coming our way. DH just thinks weather people like to scare us.

Oh, Deb, panko are Japanese bread crumbs. I find them easily in either the Asian section or just in the baking section. They add a lot of crunch.

Have a great 4th everyone!

Hi all,

I think the boards were down for a while...

It is hot here today, but I don't mind since I am home and loving it. I was sleeping wonderfully until Kelsey decided she needed to get up. She paces between hardwood and rugs and the noise always wakes me up. So it was around 5:30 when I made coffee, and took them outside to drink it in the yard. So peaceful and quiet. Today I did a new Cardio Coach, and the chest work from STS disc 13. I am going to try a one body part per day using STS and the treadmill for cardio. Gotta to something to shake things up a bit.

We went to my cousins yesterday after smoking a bunch of ribs and a roast that we made pulled pork from. It was fun. John loves playing with the smoker. We had to give our neighbors some since they were tortured with the smell from 9:00 am on.

Garance, would have loved to see Max at the parade.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Zumba cardio party (46 min.).

MMMMM, Deb, I love pulled pork. Our chickens were wonderful last night. In fact, everything was good. I didn't do much of anything yesterday because I did my shopping and housecleaning on Saturday and made my cake in the morning on Sunday before it was hot. Max wore a big bow in red, white, and blue around his neck. He seems absolutely comfortable dressing him up, so I am pretty sure we will put him in the reindog parade at Christmas.

Did manage to do some gardening this morning and re-potting my cyclamens in the hope that they will come back from what looks like near-death. Worked this afternoon, finishing up my syllabus for the film course. Quite a stack of readings assembled for copying and binding.

What did everyone else do over the long weekend?

howdy, ya'll. well, the beginning of another busy week, it looks like. my kids went to kansas last friday and they rolled in at 8 am this morning and came here. so, the g/kids and my dil were here all day, so no workout. none yesterday either, so gonna work hard the rest of the week. :)
the people with the 50 acres called and are interested in our offer, so we will see what happens.

i am supposd to do a 60m. c&s tomorrow, so gotta figure out which one.
hope everyone had a grea 4th. i did nothing. laid around and rested all day. it was WONDERFUL! :)

Tuesday

Good morning,

Today I did 22 minutes of a Cardio Coach on the treadmill and the shoulders from STS. Well the long weekend is over and it is back to reality. I think I could get used to working 3 days and having 4 days off. That would be wonderful...mmm...maybe when I retire I can do something like that.

Garance, I have a cycleman that is pretty much dead too. I read about them on the internet, and they supposedly come back. They said to keep them out of sun and do not water. Is yours outside or inside? Mine is an inside plant, or at least that is what I thought when I bought it.

Cathy, what was the offer again? Sounds like you had a nice time with the g/kids.

Hot and humid here, almost looking forward to going to the office....almost...

Take care...

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did the 30 minute P-57 for legs and abs, followed by the Zumba Cardio Express (20 min.).

It is 91 degrees and going up and the humidity has definitely arrived. DH and I stayed up until midnight last night with our friends, so I had a very difficult time getting up this morning and almost did not, so I congratulated myself for being so good about my workouts. The "beer garden party" was really quite lovely--outside buffet with cold salmon, a blackbean and corn salad, white wine for me, a blueberry cake for dessert. We just sat outside and then lit some lovely lamps when it grew dark. It really was a perfect night to do this--still, very warm, the essence of summer.

Deb, I have two cyclamens, and they have always seemed to come back beautifully, but I repotted one of them last year because it looked like it was fast fading, and this year I repotted the other one when it looked the same way. I have high hopes they will return as they have in the past, with a profusion of blooms.

I think I am now ready to do the Zumba live party DVD for cardio, but think I will wait until Friday, when it may be a little cooler. I really like the dance stuff a lot.

Cathy, what is a 60 m. C&S? A 60 minute cardio and ? Sorry to be so dense!

Stay cool!

good morning all.

We did a tough hike on saturday. not all that nice either. the forest service requires a paid permit to park there, and the trail had not been maintained in years. we climbed up over (or under) at least 75 downed trees on the way. and a stream crossing on a nasty log with devils club and nettle everywhere. and then I wore the wrong boots and my left foot was killing me by the time to come down. wow, was I glad to see the car, 9 miles about 3000 foot gain.
sunday was garden day and our lawntractor finally died. It's very old had has been nursed along for years. but at the absolute bottom of our lot! we had to rig up a rope to the truck and pull it back up hill, several hundred vertical feet. while I ran alongside the mower, "steering" it. then had to reverse things and get the truck below it so we could run it up some ramps into the truck bed. none of this was easy but we got it done. whew!. no wonder you see old farm equipment sitting out in fields. when it stops, even with wheels, it is hard to move. getting a new one maybe this week. every time we shopped for one before, we'd go home and the old mower would mysteriously snap back to life sso we'd run it another year. this was it, though.

so instead of relaxing on monday after our jerk breath neighbors turned the neighborhood into a war zone sunday night, we went on a bike ride with friends. thought it would be easy, but nooooo. it's a flat gravel trail and they have middle of the road bikes. our road bikes would die on the gravel so we took the mt bikes. Let me say here and now, that no mt bike should be sat on and ridden for 40 miles. with the fat tires, we had to pedal constantly,, furiously, even on the slight downhill parts., while our friends mostly coasted. for some reason there was no water anywhere along the trail, and only one overly full port-a-potty. wowsa. I was so dry when we got done I drank 3 full bottles of water in 10 minutes. no one brought enough food or water and I pulled out a bag of peanuts toward the end and it was like a flock of vultures!
So I'm not really complaining, we just weren't properly prepared and actually don't have the right kind of bike to ride that far on mostly packed gravel. my sit bones were talking to me by half way thru, and my legs were like limp noodles by the end.

but I went to yoga this morning and feel fine after mucho water and a decent nights sleep. and then after the weather being winter-like since may, now suddenly this week it is switching to the 90's, abruptly. so I guess I will complain! no one is acclimated at all, it's been in the 40's and maybe 50's during the day and today will be 70-ish but the rest of the week will be much, much warmer. so whine, whine.

cathy, I don't know what a 60 m is either.
Lynda, that sounds like a lovely dinner and evening.
Deb, you're right boards were down for a while. I assumed maintenance or something. cyclamen are pretty but I've never had one so no plant advice here.

oh, i'm sorry , ya'll. c&s is cardio/sculpt. it is what the firm is famous for. the cardio/weight workouts combined. i love them. they started it way back before it had been heard of, now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, they just call it something else.

so, i did emily's CAWT(complete aerobics & weight training) today and that is such a tuff workout. it never seems to get easier. i think it is the hardest firm there is. i think it is harder than the classics imo, emily does such a great job in this one. tomorrow, is a long tuff cardio, not sure which one yet.
any suggestions???:)

deb, we offered them 335,000. so we will see what happens. they want to talk.

Wednesday

Good morning all,

Very, very hot here now. It is supposed to tie a record of 94 today, with a 96 predicted. I hope they are wrong, but hey, once you go over 90 what's the difference? We had 3 fans going last night in the bedroom, and with that noise, DH's snoring, the heat, I had a crappy night's sleep. No workout this moring.

Garance, How late did you "sleep in"...LOL...Sleeping in for me is sleeping until 6 am Do you water the cyclemens when they are not flowering? Do you keep them by a window?

Valerie, glad you or DH did not get hurt taking that tractor up that hill. Are youir legs bothering you at all after that Mt bike ride? Ouchie...

Cthy, yep, The Firm created the cardio & weights workouts back with
Firm I, the best of them all. Now the copycats call them circuit workouts. I assume CAWT is another Firm? The offer is for their land correct? What will happen to yours again?

Hi to Joan & Josie,

Take care and stay cool!

Legs are fine, no soreness at all. after I watered up ( hydrate or die!) and got my poor sore butt off the bike seat, I was fine. Definitely a few days off riding... mt bikes are not made for that!

Deb, we replaced our furnace a few years ago with a heat pump. works great in this climate and has air conditioning as part of the system. we only need to use the air a total of maybe 2 weeks a year but it was worth it. I have a major allergy to grass and tree pollen and it helps give me a break and stay off allergy meds. Our workout room is in the basement so it's always cooler down there. in fact before we got the air we used to sleep down there when it got hot. we put a futon down there so we could get some sleep... when I was a 16 yr old kid the first thing I did with my money when I started working was to buy a room air conditioner because my room at home was beastly hot, so it's a long standing issue for me.

Taking the tractor in today for a trade in on a new one. we want to get rid of the old one rather than let it rust in the bushes somewhere. but need a mower before the grass is knee high.
Did disk 22 yesterday and will do 23 today. we have another 5 day vacation but it's gone from being too cold and snowy and raining, to too blasted hot in the mountains. It's like from winter to high summer in 2 days. not sure what we'll do. at least it isn't triple digits like so many people ( all of you?) are catching right now but when we get this kind of weather pattern it's hotter in the mountains than down lower and definitely unpleasant. plus run off makes the streams too high to get across safely.

I've been having ongoing grief with internet explorer locking up for no reason, not even letting me shut down to restart, had to just turn off power. switched browsers yesterday and am giving firefox a try but it seems I need to re register at every site I'm visiting. I hope that's normal.

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Another scorcher here, although it looks like it will be a tad cooler over the next couple days. I wish this weather had arrived when we will be at the Jersey shore. With our luck it will suddenly get cold during our week there.

Deb, I water my cyclamens thoroughly once a week, whether or not they are blooming, and they do sit in a western facing window, so they get late afternoon sun. I have had both of them for several years now--one white, the other a deep pink. They seem to really go wild with blooms around Christmas.

We had something like epoxy for tile grout put into the crevices between our patio stones, and boy, is that stuff great. No more weeds and then pulling them up and tearing out all of the stone filler.

Valerie, I wish my husband would replace ANYTHING--but he is a farmer and he makes things run and work until they literally groan, "Please, let me fall apart and die a good death!" Of course, it is also an advantage to have a husband who can fix almost anything and does all your car maintenance.

Cathy, I have a bunch of old Firms on VHS. I have not bought any, though, in years. My faves were the originals--Susan, Janet, Jayne, and Sandahl.

Hi to Josie and Joan!

Must go get my car inspected and a new sticker!

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not posting all of last week. I took a few days off to spend with my grandkids.
Their mother picked them up on Monday. We had a lot of fun, we went swimming, and the park and I took them to get new pictures. I did not workout all of last week and I feel like a big blob. I need to get back on the wagon.

I will be back later.

Josie

deb, i WISH the offer was for our land. it is for a place we are looking at. ours appraised at 235,000. our school district is buying our and the 90 acres all around us to build a hi school. :(

yep, you're right , deb, that is what they call them today. cawt is complete aerobics & weight training. now, not to be confused with vol. 6. it is a newer one w/emily leading. and , it is the classic AWT, very difficult. super workout. if you like the old ones, you would probably like it. it came out with maximum cardio sculpt, (allie, she was there way back), and total sculpt w/jen carman. allie and jen both were in super cardio. and allie was actually a cast member in some of the real old ones. i think in the classics, but i dont' do them anymore , so i forgot. but, i'm pretty sure she is in firm strength and firm cardio. she did not have her boob job back then. i was a bit disappointed when some of them had boob jobs. that is kinda false advertising, i think.

today i did tracie's new staying power. i forgot there was some weight work. so, my muscles are fried. i did a heavy cardio/sculpt yesterday and then this today, but did not go anywhere near as heavy as yesterday, but still fried.!

josie, did you have fun with the grands??? they are so fun, but working out is pretty impossible when they are around, that is for sure. if i do try, they all want to workout w/me. LOL!! my 5 yr. old g/daughter has been working out with nana since she was big enough to walk. :) i have a picture of her on the transfirmer . it is so cute. she has on one of my w/out tops and it swallows her. she was born the year the TF workouts came out.
actually, i did one workout, (can't remember which one) holding her when she was about 6 months old. it included tall box climb. it was quite interesting. LOL!

oh, garance, i cold NEVER stomach janet jones. she just rubbed me the wrong way. :) i really like sandahl bergman and i like vol.4 & 6. 5 was ok, but not crazy about it. i don't do them anymore. i kinda think they're boring. but that is just me.

Good evening,

We worked all weekend cutting down branches from some really big trees. We ended up with 48 lawn and leaf bags. I also started painting the wood beams in the family room. The previous owners had painted them white. The dark brown makes them look a lot better but the rough wood is really soaking up the paint.

I have been on treadmill but haven't started meso 3. I have been pouting because I used a record high 2497 calories on Sunday and had a calorie deficit for the whole week. AND I GAINED 2 POUNDS. I'm not even recording that, something has got to be wrong. It may be a delayed gain from vacation. I could accept that but I know I was good last week.

Joan

Thursday

Good morning all,

Today I did STS triceps & biceps. Skipped the cardio, I opted to get all body parts in, even if it means only 3 cardio this week. That's what happens when you skip a day. Hot and humid already and it's only 5:23 am..ugh.

I spoke with our facility guy at work, and he told me about a "split system" air conditioning unit that they can put in houses that do not have duct work. I am going to look into it! DH is on board too, hopefully it is not too expensive.

Valerie, we have no luck with window air conditioners, buy them and they die. The latest one we had lasted about 3 summers. Maybe we don't care for them right or something. I hate them anyway because of the noise. Until you mentioned it here, I never really thought about why you see rusted out tractors and farm equipment on farms, too difficult to move them out..duh! Some people I know tried Foxfire and were not happy with it either. Maybe you have a virus?

DH is going to Rochester this morning for a seminar so we are on an even earlier schedule...I have to go get dressed....I will be back in a bit...once he leaves!

Hi, I'm back. Shower, breakfast, and dogs walked. It's 72 degrees, the high will be around 91. Ugh...

Garance, thanks for the tips on the cycleman. I have totally ignored it, now I hope I didn't kill it. Will start watering with the other plants, hoping it will come back in December. You got the Epoxy grout? Love it!! That is what we put in the bathroom, and so far so good. It is a very, very light grey, almost white. I cringe at the thought of it not working like they say. It is supposed to be stain resistant. My DH is just the opposite of yours. He is pretty good fixing some things, but not cars. My favorite Firms were the original 6 as well.

Josie, I don't think you are a big blob, after only one week of rest. You might be surprised how good that week did for you when you start back up again.

Cathy, do you have all the Firms's?

Joan, weight fluctuates all the time, so don't worry. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will surprise you. You may be retaining water for some reason. I like to go by how my clothes fit. Don't get me wrong, I am a slave to the numbers on the scale too! :rolleyes:

Stay cool!!

This morning I did disk 30 for ch, tris, bis (64 min.).

Deb, we have epoxy grout on our kitchen tiles and have never had a problem with stains. But this stuff is for patio crevices, and it seals them to keep the weeds from getting hold. I just hate it when weeds sprout between the stones. I hope this works. Max is getting neutered today--10 months old and pretty much full grown. Hope all goes well--he will be back this afternoon.

Joan, do not despair. Deb is probably right about weight fluctuation and bloat. How do you like your results on the laser treatments? Do you still have another round?

Cathy, you sound like a real "Firm believer"! DH always stopped what he was doing to look at Janet. His favorite complaint about workout instructors goes like this: "She looks like a piece of gristle!" So, when he looked at Janet, he would always say, "At least SHE doesn't look like a piece of gristle."

Welcome back, Josie! Hey, you deserve some down time after all that cycling. I'm sure you will hurtle back into your workouts with new energy.

Hi to Valerie!

TGIF!!

Good morning,

Today I did 25 minutes of an I-tread, plus STS Back from Meso 2. How can I do this and only burn 164 calories in 44 minutes? I still think something is wrong, but cannot get any info to support it.

It is still hot as hades here, supposed to cool down a little this weekend. Sunday we are going to Hamlin NY to a dog show where Keegan will do his first Rally showing. It is outside, so this could be interesting. It will be his first outside show. All the smells and distractions may be his downfall. I know when I was showing Kelsey, I did one outside show, and she was so distracted by the smells and what was going on outside the ring that I never showed her outside again.

I have called 3 air conditioning companies, have 2 estimates lined up and waiting for a third to call back with a date/time.

Garance, I remember you mentioning the weeds coming up through the stones before, yes it is annoying. We had Unibrick for our patio before we did the yard over a few years ago and it used to drive me crazy. With the dogs we did not want to spray anything in those cracks and I was so tired of "weeding the patio" along with all the other weeding. I'm sure this will do the trick.

What does everyone have planned for the weekend?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.