Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/5

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did workout #1 from Muscle Definition. Good workout. DH bought a new car yesterday so we were driving around most of the evening, then went out for Thai food, yum!

I have a christening to go to today, my nieces son, then lunch afterwards. I bought a dress at Kohl's for $15!!! Not sure if I like it that much, but for $15, I could wear it today and toss it if I really don't like it.

The weather is sunny, but cool, around 63 degrees. What is everyone up to today?

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did P-57 upper body (30 min.) and followed with 20 min. Cardio Express Zumba. Did the first one with 5s and 3s and seemed easy and not to bother my elbow.

Great minds think alike, Deb. After I went to The Girl Who Played with Fire, DH met me and we went to the Thai Garden for dinner. Sushi appetizer and pad thai and hot sake. Yum! What did you have? What kind of car did your DH get?

I really liked the film, but I wonder if it would be too hard to follow for people who have not read the book. One of my friends loved it, as I did, because it's a thrill ride, but she had also read the books, and my other friend--who has not read the books--found it disjointed, I think because there are so many pieces to the puzzle. It will be interesting for me to see what the American versions are like.

Friday night went to see Richard 3 by our local company, Shakespeare and Company. Wonderful actor in the lead role. Magnificent villain!

A 15-dollar dress! What does it look like?

Sounds like you both had a good dinner out. Since I have been trying to stay on this diet 100% we haven't gone out to eat as much. Did you ever notice how much of entertainment involves food?

The wo blender is supposed to be available Sept. 25 or was it 27. I don't know if it matters if you don't have downloads. When I got the nutrition site with it you got so many free downloads. I can't remember how many.

Not really "spring" cleaning but trying to find all the stuff I have kept for the last 40 years that I really don't want. My brother is having a yard sale and I want to get rid of everything.

Joan

Monday

Happy Labor Day!

Today my cousing and I plan to do another walk/jog at the track. She is taking an hour long Pilates class first. She said she will still be able to do the walk/jog with me afterwards. I hope so.

Garance, we had Green Curry and another dish, which I forgot the name of, and spring rolls. Yumm...I love Thai food too. My $15 dress is a black, cranberry, white print with a wide black stretchy belt. Short sleeved, kind of a round bodice. It is not quite empire,the belt sits just above the waist line. Made from that kind of polyester that never wrinkles.

Joan, all entertainment involves food, you're right! Very hard when you are trying to diet. I wish someone I knew would have a yard sale so I could purge some junk from here.

Time to do some HouseMax stuff before my cousin calls...

Hi to Valerie, Cathy, & Josie,

Take care and have a great day!

Thai food... I love Thai food. thought we were going out to lunch today with some friends after cycling first but it's raining so not sure if anything will happen. too early to call and decide. I'd vote for Thai food in a second though DH is not a much of a fan. It's a chance for me to get my "hot" fix in without having to leave all the seasoning out of his portion, like at home.

Did GS back/biceps saturday and Yardmax. more Yardmax sunday and no other workout. thought we were going to cycle but we got too involved in yard stuff and suddenly if was too late to go. we're leaving on vacation next weekend. long list of stuff to do.

we also were talking about "decrap-ifying" the house. so much stuff not used in ages. need to redo our master bath and closet and it needs to be purged first. It's been 20+ years and the tile and grout are toast. clothes.. so easy to pile up. always think I'll wear it again, or too good to give to Goodwill, and it fills up the closet. DH is the same so the closet is FULL. a $15 dress ( sounds very cute) is probably good. if you don't wear it you won't feel guilty about passing it along, but expensive suits are tougher.

Rented "Broadcast News" and watched it last night. Love that movie but the hair and the fashions were awful. How come we all thought frizzy hair and over-sized, dropped shoulder stuff looked good? talk about unflattering! then flipping channels we saw the end of 'Rabbit Proof Fence" and I was reminded of what an interesting movie it was.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.). I am actually a tad sore in my tris and sh from those little weights I did yesterday. A looong road back.

Love green curry, Deb! There is a recipe at Epicurious.com for Thai Green curry with linguine, shrimps, and scallops in a coconut milk sauce, cilantro, and the green curry paste--very easy. There is one hot pepper and some scallions, too. I know what you mean about hotness, Valerie. DH doesn't like it anymore, while I could go as hot as possible. Love Szechuan and Hunan style Chinese food, too. I piled on the wasabi with my sushi.

I would love to have a tag sale, too. There is a local consignment shop, though, where I take nice clothes and split the sale money with a hospital charity that runs the place. Just made $83 on my summer stuff that I no longer wear--a couple dresses that I only wore once each for special occasions. Always glad to clean out my closets.

Joan, I find it very hard to be "good" when I go out to a restaurant. If I can get boiled lobster with plenty of lemon, that's what I choose. Or, sometimes I just get two appetizers, one a salad, the other a small portion of something I love--like mussels in a wine broth or a crab cake. It's hard, though. Can't help you on the workout blender. I like to just pop in a workout and do it so this would be wasted on me.

Need to make something for lunch so should NOT be talking about food right now... DH never liked hot stuff. not even mildly warm, things I don't think even register on the heat scale he complains about. so restaurants are when I can get incendiary. wasabi ...don't care for, so far not a sushi fan. Food textures of most seafood and meat, I dislike. If I can have it with tofu, vegies, or maybe chicken then OK.... bring it on. wasabi seems to go up my nose unpleasantly. Our niece has promised to take us for sushi next time, she does it regularly, so maybe I've done it wrong. I love chili paste, and other hot seasoning . Love curry too . If I could get the smell out of my kitchen faster, I'd make it at home but it seems embed itself in everything and a week later I can still smell it. I don't want to smell anything I made a week ago, curry or otherwise. If anyone has a secret to getting the order gone faster, let me know.

Did 20 on the stationary bike, and 35 on the treadmill this morning. enough for today.

Good afternoon,

Official weigh in 165.4lb Yea down another 1.2lb.

I did basic step yesterday.

Slow going, I should have started earlier to get all the junk out. It may take longer than a week.

I have both kids tomorrow so son and dil can do things together.

Joan

howdy ya'll,

i had my g/kids yesterday and today. so, i'm wore out.
wed. i leave for grapevine, tx for a conference i'm going to. did i tell ya'll? can't remember. so, gotta workout hard tomorrow and wed. cuz don't know when i'll be able to w/out again. maybe i can get to the pool or the gym. hope so.
but, i did kinda make up for being sick.

sat. was defining shape & i added a 30m cardio

sun. calorie killer, and then i made the mistake of adding lisa's lower body sculpt 1.
LBS1 is way tougher than i anticipated. i just got it at blockbuster for $3. i was caught totally unaware.

Tuesday

Good morning,

Today I did 30 minutes of a 40 minute I-Tread, I could not finish for some reason. Maybe the 2.5 mile walk/jog yesterday did me in for some reason. Whatever. It's been a great 5 days, now back to reality.

Valerie, the dress was markded down so many times, I could not get down to the original price! Never saw Broadcast News. who was in it? I don't like sushi either, at least not the raw stuff. I never get it straight..which one is raw and which one is cooked?

Garance, may have to go see that recipe. We always have enough for leftovers so we will be having Thai for dinner tonight.

Joan Good Job on the weight loss!

Cathy, what is the conference for?

Hi to Josie, did you have a good holiday weekend?

Take care,

"Broadcast News" Holly Hunter, William Hurt, James Brooks, Jack Nicholson (small part) Joan Cusack. A very funny and true(?) look at the inside of network news and about how superficial, contrived, and unprepared some much admired anchors are without someone feeding them info. on the other side though, the unprepared guy ( Hurt) can present what he knows nothing about... in a cool and straightforward way that moves him up the ladder quickly. a semi-romance triangle too but nothing squirm producing. It's from the late 80's. very enjoyable movie. Lots of frizzy hair and over sized, drop shouldered styles which look so ridiculous now. I hadn't seen it in a long time and there's a big kernel of truth in it. Hunter is perfect! I love her character.

I've only had a glimpse of the sushi world.... california rolls with fake crab. I took Parasitology in college,my degree is medical technology ( lab) it will take a lot to feel comfortable with raw. I like to find something I can enjoy in almost every kind of restaurant and I've heard so many raves about sushi I'd like to go sometime with someone who knows their way around the menu. DH will barely eat a few kinds of cooked fish so he is NOT a candidate.

Congrats Joan on sticking with the program.

Cathy, you certainly snapped back in a hurry. you really stick to a program.

gotta go to yoga, more later.

This morning I did not work out because of early morning preparation for advising. The semester has truly begun, and, as usual, it feels frantic during registration with people changing their courses, trying to get in courses that are closed, navigating the registration on internet. Total craziness, especially for the first-years.

Good for you, Joan, on the weight loss! Maybe you can get Elliot to help you with the junk removal tomorrow. I wish my sons would move some of their stuff out of here--baseball cards, cds, clothes and shoes and sports equipment.

Cathy, are you getting rain from the most recent hurricane? What's the conference about?

Back to work here!

Good afternoon,

I had Luke all morning and thought I would have Elliot this afternoon. They did get to play tennis but looks like rain all afternoon so they decided to keep her and stay home. That's ok I have been putting off work that I need to finish.

Garance will you miss this "start of a new semester" after you retire?

Brother and sil just came so bbl.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

I did not go anywhere this weekend. My dear neighbor died on Sunday night. I heard the ambulance park in front of her house and I ran to her house and saw her on the floor where the paramedics were working on her. This was on Saturday around 2:00 PM. I got to give her a kiss before they took her to the hospital she was such a great lady and I will miss her very much. She was there for me when my DS left to join the Navy and when my DD left for college. I will miss our food exchange and her wisdom. She was 94 year old.

I will be back later. I keep thinking of her and can't stop crying.

Josie

Josie, that's so sad. but if she was 94 and died suddenly of a heart attack or stroke in her own kitchen with caring neighbors nearby, well, she was a lucky lady. sounds like you were a great friend and neighbor to her.

I need to do a short cardio session and then GS chest/ triceps. we plan on cycling both wed and thurs so my legs will get enough.

LOL! traildoggie, that is so funny. i am a bit anal.:) i hate not staying on a schedule.

oh josie, i'm so sorry about your neighbor.

well, did we ever get rain today. that hurricane went right over the top of us, well, the winds were gusting at 60mph. so, it was not full hurricane strength. but, it has done some damage and rained like crazy. good ole' south texas. it either floods or droughts. we can't ever just have nice rain in normal intervals.

today i did the firm's complete aerobic & weight training w/emily. i think that is the hardest firm ever. and, i went very heavy on wt. and added some extra heavy upper body to it, for a total of about 75 m. tomorrow i will hit it hard again , cuz don't know if i'll get much done while i'm out of town.

lynda, i am going to a CareNet conference. it is for the work i do at our crises pregnancy center with women who have suffered thru an abortion. but, the conference covers all aspects of crises pregnancy center work. it is a nationwide conference. and it is in texas this year. first time ever in texas.

Wednesday

Good morning,

No workout today, the power went out around 7:00 last night and did not come back until 10:30. WoW does it get really dark when there are no street lights and all the houses are dark. I was reading in the living room by flashlight most of the time. DH went to class with Keegan, it was pretty creepy. If he wasn't entered in the trial this weekend, and needing to practice, I would have insisted that he stay home. How strange when we were in bed and at 10:30 everything came on, including the TV and all lights. DH never even woke up. :rolleyes:

Josie, so sorry about your neighbor.

Hi to Garance, Cathy, Joan, & Valerie,

take care,

Did GS chest triceps. Haven't done pushups in a while and that capacity disappears quickly. the mean & nasty drop sets. the knee pushups are no work at all, but toe pushups are hard unless I do them weekly. I did some pushups at yoga in the morning and did about half of the toe pushups. Did lighter weight (15's rather than 20's) than in STS but these were mostly 3 sets of 12 so seems right to me.

ahhh... power out season. Last year was not bad for power outs.the year before was awful. we're well prepared and we usually have warning. generally if we get much wind with leaves still on the trees, we'll have outages. we have our camper, can go out there for heat and light and cooking. Yep, when everything blinks and beeps and comes back on its a definite wake-up. we try to turn ioff everything that was "on" but always forget some things. Never realize how heavy the garage door is until you need to use the manual method.

Hi Ladies,

I did my weight training last night plus 30 minutes of intervals on a stationary bike for the cardio. Tonight I will be spinning. So far I have lost 2 pounds since I started my diet. I'm back at 166 and my goal is to go down to 150.

We have been very lucky this summer regarding blackouts. The weather here in LA has been very cool. It is 63 here at work and will only go up to the mid 70s today and for the rest of the week.

Have a great day!

Josie

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Joan, I will definitely not miss the beginning of the school year when I retire. The summer is always so quiet that it lulls you into believing you have all the time in the world to do your own research and writing. When the fall semester hits, it's like a freight train and everything is suddenly so busy. This year is especially confusing for everyone because Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown today, so classes that would ordinarily meet on Thursday are meeting today, and organizational meetings for tutorials and seminars that would ordinarily be held on Thursday night were held last night. Both of my classes are on Friday, so I was not affected, but my freshman advisees were very confused because a lot of elementary classes meet on MWF, and since today is "Thursday" they could not understand why they were not meeting on Wednesday. Kafkaesque!

Josie, so sorry about losing your friend. It sounds like you had deep affection for her.

Cathy, so Hermine just blew through and left. Love those hurricane names now that they include men.

Deb, we have a generator for when the power goes out because DH has all kinds of freezers and other farm equipment that can't be allowed to languish.

I'm reading the new Jonathan Franzen novel, Freedom, right now. It is very funny (sometimes laugh-out-loud funny) and just as good as The Corrections. I am going to try to finish it before I go to England next week, because I would prefer a paperback on the plane.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.