Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/26

fox2star

Cathlete
Morning all,

Trying to get stuff done around here with this stupid boot on. The usual drill,
dishes.gif
laundry.gif
..put the spelt bread in, DH and I went to the coop to get more flour.

No workout, I guess I could have hobbled through and upper body one but I was not in the mood. I keep thinking of wearing this thing to work tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

Good morning,

Today is another Ram's football game.

Wed. the plumber came to put in tub at 7am. Contracter opens tub box and tells me there is blue marker writing on tub. I say it has to come off before they put it in place. We scrub and scrub and while top layer comes off there is still a blue stain. So then we have to go exchange the tub. But at least I was there. The men would have just installed it.

The new drywall is now up and by Tuesday we can paint. The marble solid wall tub surround goes in Friday. I found a light I like but no flooring yet. I am thinking of just going with vinyl. I am so sick of grout and I don't want carpet.

Because my part of the bathroom was finished (until painting) I started pulling off dining room wallpaper. I got top layer off and now am slowly getting backing and glue off to paint next weekend.

Inbetween time I started cleaning out garage because I need a place to paint the trim we took off bathroom and dining room. I still can't see why dh thinks I start too many projects.

I put a 4ftx6ftx4ft pile of stuff out. Stuff I had saved because it was good but I would never use. I can't throw away anything. I put a free sign on it and it was all gone this morning. There is a mesh "dumpster" you can get and they will haul away. It is a giant mesh bag 4ft x 6ft and holds 3300lb. I will be getting rid of old broken treadmill, the tub and the toilet and anything else I can find.

I wish I had had this energy all summer. I didn't feel really good until Sept. 1 and now I have to get everything done by Sept 30 when I babysit full time.

Deb I went back and read about your toe. It hurt just thinking about it. I hope you heal quickly.

Garance What happened you are so good about not catching colds? I think the recycled air on plane is just too concentrated with germs. I've already had my first cold so I feel for you. I bet I will be sick all fall since Elliot is in preschool 2 days a week.

Hi to Josie, Cathy and Valerie.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie (if you are back)--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness (70 min.). First time I have had my step out in ages.

Ooh, Deb, I went back to read about your toe. I bet that hurt bigtime! I had to wear a boot for several months when I fractured my ankle--after the cast came off. Awkward, but I did manage to get around okay. I might try to have the heel replaced on the chewed shoe, but it's such an odd shape heel I have a feeling it's a lost cause. Yes, we do put up with a lot. Max was so excited to see me when I came back from England that when I sat down on a loveseat, he went flying into my arms, knocked over a lamp, and the lamp is okay, but the lampshade definitely needs replacement!

Yesterday was Convocation and the Induction of our new Pres. followed by a party, so I was pretty busy from 3-7. I did Housemax and watched Vertigo, which I am teaching this week and then went off. My cold seems to have pretty much disappeared, which is great, because those Cold-eez lozenges were beginning to upset my stomach.

Joan, you sound like a whirlwind of energy. Not sure I could keep up with you and all your projects. I take it DH is a passive observer??

Back to the grindstone here--lots of reading to review for classes. Another wretched meeting tomorrow afternoon. I am sorely tempted to bring my knitting along out of sheer squirmy impatience. Grrrrr!

I'm almost back... haven't had time to read the last two weeks threads to catch up on what's going on. we had a fantastic vacation. it was lovely! hiked like crazy, great weather, mt biked plenty and only fell off twice. I'm pretty relaxed, just rolled down the hill. Deb, a boot? I'll go back and find out what happened. Lynda, guess what..... I HATED Vertigo. blech. Joan, I also need to go see what's happening in the bathroom.

I think almost everyone gets sick after ( especially plane) traveling. all the surfaces are contaminated, plus the air is recirculated. I use loads of hand sanitizer and hope for the best. Joan, little kids are like culture plates ( laboratory reference) . unfortunately you can't submerge them in sanitizer!

Fortunately Dh doesn't want to pick out anything so I can do what I want. I'll ask him so he can think I want his opinion then do it my way.:p
He helped clean the garage but what he wanted to do is set a date in Oct when he could take a day, empty the whole garage sweep and put it all back in. My idea is to start taking stuff out and stop when I feel like it. We don't put cars in the garage so it just gets to be storage. I haven't had shredder truck out since last year so I have 12 boxes to be shredded. I like to have more because they have a minimum charge.

Dh was surprised how much we did in a couple of hours and now I have a place to paint trim.

Dh will paint the ceiling in bathroom and probably walls. I'll do dining room but I would like the ceiling in the living room and dining room painted so I guess I'll mention it to him. I've almost got the babies room cleaned and organized. It's just been used as a guest room so crib and all the other baby stuff had to be brought out.

I have an offer from Harrah's for free airfare and hotel to Reno Oct 29th thru Nov 2. I'd really like to go but dh isn't sure if he can get off. Should I go by myself?

Joan

Monday

Good morning,

No workout, I couldn't even walk the dogs this morning, DH took both himself. This is getting old. Did you see the spotlight on STS Total Body DVD? I can't wait to get this one! The pre-mixes are great!

Joan, you are really moving fast with this work. Too bad about the tub, but good thing you were there. I was thinking of ordering one of those shredder trucks too for DH's files that are in our attic and can surely be shredded by now. As for the trip, I am not one to go by myself, unless it was a spa type thing.

Garance, even though he knocked over a lamp, I bet you had a big smile on your face when Max greeted you! I don't plan on wearing this boot for months..hopefully just this week. I'm not sure how you tell if it's healed or not. I've been pretty lucky on not getting sick from flying, but I have never been on a plane as long as you were this past trip, that may have something to do with it.

Valerie, Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time. I will save you some reading...I broke a toe Friday night..

Hi to Josie, & Cathy,

Take care,

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Just Dance (50 min.).

Yes, Deb, Max is a real loverboy with me, and a serious farm dog with DH. You can't help but feel good when your dog is so thrilled to see you he runs in circles and jumps in your lap to lick your face. Hope your toe mends soon so you can get rid of the boot. I will have to take a look at the STS dvd, but I'm really off Cathe of late.

Joan, I like your technique with DH. Wish that would work with mine. I tease him about being a Libra because he weighs choices endlessly and insists on analyzing every darn one that I make. I also like the "stop when I feel like it" strategy on yucky tasks. Better a job half-done than not done at all.

Welcome back Valerie! Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Deb, so sorry about your toe. toes heal pretty easily, sometimes they buddy tape them to the toe next door but depends on foot anatomy. I broke my tailbone a couple years ago and (was trying to imagine what kind of cast I'd be in ??) but if the bone is not out of place things heal back without fuss. when I started walking or stepped up it was unpleasant. once I got moving though, it wasn't hard to keep going. I think yours will be the same. the first few steps ( post boot) will be a "reminder" and then things loosen up and it will be ok. I'd be looking to modify workouts though, and maybe concentrate on other areas for a couple weeks.

Travel is so miserable, it feels like punishment. my FIL is nearing the end of the road and we are already moaning about having to fly there. it's not even a complicated trip. He's just been diagnosed with a kidney carcinoma, and needs to get a whole string of docs to sign off on approval for surgery. It may not happen, he's very frail and a poor risk.

anyway, the endless lines, the crowds, the cramped seating, rude people, crying babies, and then the worst, the car rental companies. OMG I hate it! and then the almost inevitable headcold that follows for another week of unpleasantness.

We didn't go where originally planned, weather marginal. went to the west side of Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Absaroka Beartooth mts. weather was lovely, cold nights warm days. sunny. dry. lovely fall color. If you've been to Jackson, it's a lot like it but without the crowds. the elevation is from 6500 to around 11,000 feet so things are hard at first. we both have trouble with dry /congested noses. DH gets nosebleeds from the dryness. saw moose, bears, bison, elk, deer, hawks,owls, etc. we love the area.

I need to follow the bathroom remodels more closely. Ours needs doing... DH wants to do a lot of work himself. takes longer and is cheaper but I don't like being out of that room very long. It's carpeted and we'd like to change that but what we do there will affect the entire upstairs so need to think carefully. I want the tile and grout gone. our water deposits a hard white film on everything and nothing cleans it. nothing. and cleaners take the shiny surface off the tile, the grout gets gray/black, oh, it's a mess.

Last day of vacation, doing a bike ride. in about 5 minutes.

Hi Ladies,

Summer has finally come to LA! It is 106 degrees at UCLA, I went to lunch and I thought that I was going to faint from the heat. I will not be working out today!

My DM is going to Loma Linda for a second opinion regarding her heart surgery; I hope that there is something else they can do for her.

The weekend was very hot also and I'm glad that I worked out early in the morning.

Joan, there will not be anymore remodeling at my house for a while. I hate the mess!

Deb, I had a broken toe last year and it was because of dancing. I did not go to the Dr. I just taped it to the next toe and it was fine. I called it a "party injury".

Valerie, I'm glad that you had a great vacation.

Hi Cathy!

Josie

Forgot to mention, I got my replacement Bootcamp disk. I'm pleased cause there were a couple disks DH bought from Amazon before I knew about buying from cathe. It was quite a few yrs ago, no way I could tell which disks they were. good customer service to replace it for me, though. I'm happy.

Fell this morning during the ride. got caught going around a gate and tipped over at about 0.1 mph so nothing too damaging. sore bruised left hand is about it.

Watched the tim burton version of Alice in Wonderland" and really enjoyed it. watched it before vacation, and kept it and watched a second time. we both liked it a lot. I remember bits of the disney animated version from when I was a little kid and of course "white rabbit" kept running thru my brain. also watched "Marley & Me" which was not great, but not bad either. I love dogs and it's hard to watch an unruly but sweet dog like that. he looked and acted just like my aunt's golden lab. especially eating everything. I was stunned to see Kathleen Turner in there, not looking very good. wow. age has not been kind to her. I wouldn't have known her except for her voice.
Tonight is 'Date Night". Hope it's good, end of vacation.

Joan, can you recruit a friend or family to go with you if DH can't? I don't mind traveling alone but I don't like spending time at a destination with no one I know.

Tuesday

Good morning,

It's pouring rain out there now and DH could not even take the dogs for a walk. This is not good. I tried to shove them out the back door so they could do their "business" before I have to leave and they would not go. This could be ugly when I get home for lunch. I'll try again before I leave.

Garance, take a look at the blog entry about the new STS dvd. It looks really good, especially the pre-mixes.

Valerie, yep, they did the buddy tape thing and gave me the boot! Literally. They didn't tell me how long to keep the boot on, or tape. I guess I have to go back and read all the paperwork they gave me..:rolleyes: I had the same problem with the tile and grout in our shower area, so I had a solid surface put in and it is wonderful! This is what we did, no grout except for where the tub meets the panel...and we added a decorative panel trim to the top part...not this color though...
http://swanstoneproducts.com/mm5/me...P&Product_Code=SSIT-60-3-AC&Category_Code=TW6

Josie, LOL at your "party injury"...how long before it was normal again? Keeping your DM in my prayers.

Hi to Cathy & Joan,

Take care,

This morning I did P-57 upper body and 2 miles with Leslie (60 min.).

Josie, I heard it's going up to 113 degrees today in L.A. Agh! Now I won't envy you anymore for your year-round warm weather. We are getting some much needed rain here. It's been so dry this summer that some people have had their wells dry up. Not our problem, but I sympathize with some of our friends in the valley.

Deb, I did look at the blog description. I am still not all that interested. I feel like I have an absolute glut of Cathe weight workouts and I haven't even been using them lately. Maybe if the clips are good. I took Maxie for a walk in the rain when I got home yesterday and he came back soaked. Put him in the boiler room to dry off while I made my squash soup (lots and lots of chopping!) and DH was off at a referees' meeting. At least my meeting was blessedly short and we did not beat yet another dead horse. Bodes well for Thursday's meeting (she prays!).

Big afternoon teaching!

Hi to Joan, Cathy, and Valerie!

I had typed up comments this morning and then Poof, it disappeared. Hate that!

Went to yoga this morning wearing a wrist splint. couldn't do anything in "push up"wrist position, but got thru most things by making a fist. skipped a few moves. it's sore, not swollen, and purple-ish. should be Ok in a couple days. I'm not convinced I'm going to keep using the clipless pedals. when your foot gets caught, you fall. I'm not convinced they help enough to offset the risk. I like the stiffer shoes though.

Joan, we used a combination product called Duraceramic on some floors. I'm forgetting who makes it, Armstrong? Congoleum? a big company. it comes in large squares, 16 inch, and can be laid edge to edge or grouted. it looks a lot like ceramic tile but light & easy care. ceramic tile needs a floor reinforcement cause it's so heavy. You might want to look at it. we like it better than vinyl. I like wood- look laminate but I don't know about in a bathroom.

"Date Night " didn't win any awards here. comedies are better with a group cause laughing is infectious. we didn't care much for it. nothing gross out in it, but just didn't hit the right notes for us.
Wow, 113 degrees. one gal from yoga just got back from LA and said it was HOT. That is meltingly hot!

Hi Ladies,

It is supposed to be at least 20 degrees cooler today. Thank God! Today I will be doing my weights and 30 minutes of cardio. I'm wearing a dress that did not fit a month ago :)
I'm happy with the steady weight loss and toning.

Deb, my toe healed in about a month. All I did was tape it to the next one and it worked.
I did not have to wear a boot. If I had, I would have had to buy the boots in every color to match my clothes.

Joan, did you tear down any other room yet?

Valerie, I'm glad that you did not get hurt.

Hi Cathy!

Josie

hi ya'll, sorry to be awol.

'bout killed myself yesterday, did tracie's endurance for movement & the 30m. kickback. i am purty sore today. :) and then, i had to work for 4 & 1/2 hrs. my body was aching yesterday. didn't know i was gonna work that many hours or i probably would not have done such a hard workout.
today was express cardio. only 30m. then, we went and walked the 28 acres we're buying for a couple hours.
think i'll go to bed, got a busy day tomorrow.
nite,nite
cathy

Wednesday

Good morning,

How is everyone this week? I am still in the Toe Boot so no workout. I think I will wait until Saturday and try agility class. My foot is all black and blue, now turning yellow and green. It is cool here this morning, only 56 degrees, with the high only going to 66. Fall has finally arrived.

Garance, your squash soup sounds good, does it take long to make? Have you been watching DWTS? I think voting off Michael Bolton was a good choice. Who is your pick for the winner this year? It looks like Jennifer and Brandi will be in the finals for sure.

Valerie, ouchie! I guess you won't use those pedal things anymore. LOL, when you said , "tonight is Date Night" in a previous post, I thought you were referring to you and your DH! I was thinking, "how sweet is that?"...Now I find out it's a movie. :eek:.

Josie, I got the basic black boot, so it goes with everything!:D. Good job on the weight loss.

Cathy, are you building on the new land or is there an existing house etc? Renind me again, what big city are you closest to?

Joan, where are you? we need a remodel update!

Have a great day! ;)

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

We certainly have had a lot of injuries lately! At least I did not hurt myself in England like I did when I went to Oxford in 2007--damn cobblestones! Deb, you must have really whacked that poor toe to have such bruising. I have not been watching DWTS so I don't really know who is good, who is bad. I watched City Island last night--from Netflix. It was pretty funny. My squash soup is easy to make, but the initial chopping takes awhile. It's at epicurious.com as the squash soup with cider cream. Leeks, carrots, celery, apples in addition to the squash, and that takes awhile because it's out of our garden. I think you can find it cut up at the stores now. Just ordered my Ryka Studio Flex at Planet shoes with a 15 off coupon. Set for another year.

Cathy, you will have to describe your new place for us. Is it as much acreage as where you are living now? We have 135 acres with a big pond, lots of trees and limited pasture.

How is the remodel going, Joan? When do you start the babysitting? Hope you get everything done before that starts again.

Hope your wrist is mending, Valerie.

Wow, Josie, you are a fashion plate. I wore my boot with everything--just plain old blue and clunky.

Good afternoon,

Only exercise has been on Wii but it is fun.

Bathroom is drywalled and tub is in but we are waiting for them to make marble surround. They said they could install Friday but then called and said it would be next Wed. That was ok because dh would have to paint after work and now he can paint on weekend. I have almost all wallpaper off dining room and hall. I did pick out color. I had wanted to tackle kitchen floor. That is all that is left in that room. The white tile is in good shape but again hate the grout. At the same time I was going to have contractor cut back island so I could put in bar stools. I will leave that for another time or never if contractor ever retires.

I remember why I hadn't started to take wallpaper off before. I hate it. It's not hard but messy and not very satisfying. When you paint you get instant gratification.

I took dm out for lunch today since it is the last day of freedom. Babysitting starts tomorrow.

Joan

well lynda, it is old farm land, so there are not alot of trees, which i don't like. we have some beautiful trees on our place and i am gonna miss them so much. there are a few oaks. it's just that down here trees are precious. they don't grow tall, cuz we don't get alot of rain. and it takes them a long time to grow, so we are gonna plant some this winter and hope we get alot of rain. why do ya'll have 135? don't ya'll raise cattle? we don't really need 28 acres, but it is a great price. the people are in trouble and need to sell this piece, so we are getting a good deal. our ponds down here are called stock tanks, and there are not any, but there is a perfect place to put one in. most of our "ponds/tanks" are man made here. we have very few natural ponds. we have rivers, lakes. our water is precious down here.

but, anyway, here we are, at our age ,starting over. not sure if i wanna. the good thing is we will be about 15m from the g/kids rather than 40. so, that is nice. but, we are not moving for at least a year.

Thursday

Good morning,

Still not ready to do a workout, but woke up early and could not get back to sleep. Decided to just have some coffee and relax.

Garance, I bought the best knife for chopping..it is made by Cutco and it works wonderfully, We have a lot of Cutco knives, this one is a little different, the shape makes it perfect for chopping vegetables. We got the 5" blade: http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=1766

Joan, you will have to post pictures when the bathroom is complete! Are you watching 2 grandkids now?

Cathy, the new place sounds nice, how is the house/buildings? will you have to do a lot of work? Any idea what to get a 3 year old boy for a birthday present? We are going to my great-nephew's party Sunday and I have no idea what to get him.

Valerie, hope the wrist is getting better.

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.