Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/14

fox2star

Cathlete
Good evening all,

I just sat down to the computer, very busy weekend. Sorry about not starting the new week's thread. I went to an agility trial this morning, and totally forget to start the thread.

As for the trial, Keegan was in the best mood he could be in, did everything he was told to do....of course then I screw up and skip a third of the course....:eek:...poor little guy, he was so up, and happy to be out there with me, and then leave it to me to mess up his last leg he needed for his title. Oh well, there's always a next time.

Judy, how long will your SIL be at your house?

Lori, I have a Clarasonic, and love it. You just have to make the time to use it even once a day.

Lynda & Valerie, I tried to watch VEEP on Amazon, but it wasn't free on Prime. :confused:.

Valerie, that method of laying off people was heartless, apparently a company with no compassion. Wow. It's hard to believe. It would be different if you were all caught doing something wrong. You hit the nail on the head too, about the feeling of a job, you don't realize how much of your self worth and identity is wrapped up in what you do. I think I have things to keep me busy, more dog club involvement, I would love to volunteer in some type of reading program at the library..some have a "Reading with Rover" program where the kids read to the dog.

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

Good morning,

Well here we are...another week

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Work, then class tonight,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did After Burn (54:00).

Oh, too bad about Keegan! Hope he's on the next time he has an opportunity to show his stuff. Deb, I doubt Veep will be on Amazon Prime until it goes off the air. It's an ongoing series on HBO and I either watched it on Sunday night or recorded it for later.

A Most Wanted Man is a spy drama, and if you enjoy that sort of thing (I do), it's really well done. Philip Seymour Hoffman is also wonderful in it. It has an ending that is very upsetting/ disillusioning, but probably realistic.

Very chilly last night, but at least it didn't frost! I'm still gorging on our bumper crop of tomatoes. Yum! Love my homegrowns!

Deb-I watch VEEP on Amazon, but I have to pay for it. It's $1.99 an episode or $18.99 for season 3.

Judy

Good evening ladies!

Conference is going great! Everyone seems to be loving it. Today everyone arrived so it was a bit stressful but all went well..

No workout yet but that is fine with me. All the running around has been a workout in itself! I am beat.

Deb...so,sorry about keegan. :). It happens. I can't wait to start using the clarasonic.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

We had a nice class last night, then afterwards, a little celebration for everyone that did well at the obedience trial the weekend before last, with cider and cupcakes, with dog cookies for the dogs.

Lynda, very chilly here at night now too. It really is pleasant for sleeping. I love autumn, at least the beginning of it. You are in the best part of the country for autumn color.

Judy, thanks for the info on the show, I think I will wait for it to go off the air, like Six Feet Under, I watched it 10 years after it was over. LOL.

Lori, glad things went well and it will be all downhill smooth sailing from this point.

Hi to Josie, & Valerie,

Work, then home to relax.

This morning I did Burn Sets ch, ba, sh (50:43).

Lori, I bet it feels good to have that conference going so well.

Anyone watching the PBS documentary on the Roosevelts? So far it has been absolutely riveting. Theodore Roosevelt was an extraordinary character.

Fiction recommendation: Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies. Both funny and serious.

I'm back.. actually didn't go anywhere but had niece and her new DH stay with us, longer than first planned due to some hotel reservation problems that came up sunday. so they left this morning and will spend a day seeing the sights in downtown seattle.

we did two big hikes and a ride. we had a great time with them, the first time to get to know her DH and he is delightful. smart, in good shape, and very nice to talk with. he basically hit it out of the park with us. quite warm and sunny here yet but no big issues with the gray rainy stuff that is coming soon.

Deb, too funny... keegan does it all right and then you screw up!!

I think there are benefits to waiting until an entire series is available before watching.... I don't do this all the time.. I think I'll forget what I wanted to watch! but when the seasons are widely separated I forget details, so the continuity is not as good. plus hardly anyone is talking about the series anymore. so benefits/drawbacks to doing it either way.

we didn't watch the Roosevelt series start, but I think you can get it on PBS, the whole thing already. just heard that, didn't look for myself but we always watch Ken burns ... he makes history so interesting, unlike most school textbooks that take out all the details that bring it to life. thanks for the movie recommendation Lynda.. onto the queue.

we are having an ongoing tomato party. most years our harvest is pretty sad, sometimes none but this year has been great. we are eating cucumber, tomato, avocado salads with fresh basil snipped over the top. so good!!

lori, travel alone takes a lot of energy.... you are so consistent otherwise that a little break is probably beneficial for you.

Good morning,

It's Hump Day for those that are slogging their way through the work week!

Lynda, do they have the episodes on line to watch through PBS? I put in a request for that book, ( the E-book version) and I am number 164 in line...it must be very good!

Valerie, sounds like a nice visit with your niece and her DH. I also like to start a series that has all the years available, something to look forward to while you are watching, and you are right, it makes it easier to not have to wait and try to remember what was going one. With The Good Wife, there was a while for me between seasons 4 & 5 but I found a Season 4 recap on line that helped a lot.

Hi to Josie, & Lori,

Work, then home to hopefully get to bed early. I have a 5:30 am flight tomorrow to DC, ugh... but John has a board meeting for the dog club, will probably be out until 9:30-10:00...will come home all wound up...and of course will need to vent about it.

Take care,

This morning I did Dancin' Abs (58:00), and last night I took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, I have cable, so I just watch PBS or DVR it. Didn't you watch Downton Abbey on line? It really is incredibly good. In so many photographs, Eleanor has her head down. FDR on the other hand has his nose up, and was apparently well-known for this arrogant habit. Teddy Roosevelt is the one who I am now fascinated with and will probably have to read a biography. I also just received the final installment of Ken Follett's 20th century trilogy, The Edge of Eternity, and it's hefty. I pre-ordered it and forgot about it. I would have preferred to have it on my IPad. Yes, the Big Little Lies is a bestseller. I finished it yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I don't envy you that trip tomorrow. Sounds tiring.

Valerie, was this the wedding you went to last year? Good that you have some relatives who you enjoy.

As they say on Game of Thrones, "winter is coming." Where did summer go? As Shakespeare says, "Summer's lease has all too short a date"--a good reason not to compare your lady love to a summer's day.

we did a 25 mile bike ride yesterday. going to yoga this morning. I've forgotten if I posted about DH backing the truck into the garage with the mt bikes on it. He is usually so careful but just a second of inattention is expensive. we got them back but when we were checking them out on the rack ( he will never live this one down) I noticed a small defect in the sidewall of a tire. so looked a little closer and both front tires are developing small bubbles in the side walls. so glad I noticed this! not obvious but potential flats. after yoga, need to get replacements. these are 11 yo tires so just wearing out.

we are rewatching the good wife 4th season on Hulu. these are even better the second time so much detail and subtlety. getting close to the end of orphan black. I'm finding it's getting tedious but DH likes it and gets annoyed when I say I've had enough of it. feels like "Lost" to me with nothing getting resolved.
Yes, Lynda, this was last falls wedding..they spent their first anniversary with us! our favorite niece and our first chance to get to know her new husband.
Deb a 5 ;30 flight means not much sleep.. have a good trip if possible.

This morning I did Athletic Training (56:00).

I grew tired of the endless complications in Orphan Black, second season, as well. I don't think the writers really know where they are going with what was originally a great idea. I think season 6 of The Good Wife starts on Sunday. Last season ended with an interesting question, so I wonder if we will have an answer at the beginning.

We are out to dinner tonight with friends. This is a place on the top of Mt. Greylock called Bascom Lodge. I hope we have some great views up there. Sounds like it might frost tonight. Brrrr!

Good evening ladies!

I am back home and exhausted!! Was a really great conference. Tons of work but I did have fun. Never had a chance to work out so not too happy about that. I did run around the entire time so I feel I did get some movement in. I am off tomorrow and so glad to be. Need a ME day. Going to do Cathe's live from today. Cario strength blast. It looks like something I need right now.

Lynda...been a while since I have done Athletic Training. I like that one a lot. I have been to Mt. Greylock but it was years ago. I remember the views were beautiful.

Valerie....that is terrible about the bikes! Hoping all was easily fixable. Other than the ties was there much damage to the frames? I missed the Roosevelt's I would have liked to have seen the series.

Deb...I agree with Valerie about the early flight. Last sunday my flight was at 8am and I needed to leave the house by 5:15am which meant getting up at 4:30am. You must have gotten up so early for 5:30 flight.

Hi to josie and judy!

Hi Ladies,

I went to body pump on Tuesday, spinning on Wednesday and body pump today. My leg is 85% better and it does not bother me while working out :). Now I'm really afraid to run again, I guess I will stick to cycling.

Welcome back Lori, glad that things went well and that you can get back to your workout routine. I turned down my DH on a trip to NY in early October because I've had so many fun interruptions to my workouts :)

Garance, I love tomatoes and wish I had some home grown ones. I envy you and Valerie :)

Hi to Judy and Deb.

Josie

The bikes had forks bent, one had pedals broken. I needed a couple cables replaced, DH needed a new seat, so it ran up to $400 for both but not all was due to the "incident". the bikes are 11 yo so some things, like the tires, were a little close to the end of their useful life anyway. still, DH screwed up .... the truck with the camper, when you reverse and then go to drive, lurches a little further back before going into "drive".... it rolls back a couple inches before it goes forward. when we park when camping , I always allow for this because I'm in the back directing things. unfortunately DH got too close to the wall and the "lurch" of a few inches caught under a brick overhang on front of the garage. so he didn't 'back up into a wall" but was too close for comfort. I would have been out there if I'd had the slightest idea it would be important. oh well, live and learn.

finished orphan black the second season. not sure I want to continue if and when there is more. getting too weird for me and feeling like someone is making this up as they go along. the actress is great but just getting too contrived for me.

Josie, you may have just gotten some "over use" after going right up to 3 miles. It might be fine if you back off and reduce mileage until the soft parts get used to it again doing it once or twice a week until you're hardened up again.
Deb, hope you get some sleep tonight. I'd have to get up at 2 to make a 5:30 flight.... start of a rough day. Lynda, hope dinner is lovely. Lori, catch up on sleep and get in a workout. sometimes forced time off is a good thing.

I am getting tired of this big flap about football players being aggressive and (potentially) violent. I don't want to excuse them for taking it out on wives and children... they should be prosecuted .... but aren't these the exact traits they are being big bucks for?? passive, non-physical unaggressive guys don't do well at football, do they? seems they are being punished and rewarded simultaneously........ seems like society rewards the wrong things and then wonders how this kind of thing happens..... rhetorical questions here

Hi Everyone,
Things are slowly getting back to normal here. SIL goes home in a few days so I might be able to get back to home workouts next week. I'm going to the gym every morning and get something done. Today I did a full body circuit then I used the elliptical and watched Cathe's live spinning class.

Lynda-The Roosevelts looks really good, I might have to look into ordering the DVDs if I can't stream it on Amazon.

Josie-sorry about your leg, hope it is better now.

Hi to Deb, Lori & Valerie!

Judy

Good morning,

The trip was uneventful. I just went for a meeting at Treasury, an hour and a half meeting...up at 3:00 am for the 5:30 flight, arrive at the ITC building at 6:45 and sit around killing time until the meeting started at 9:30. The meeting ends at 11:00, then I am back in a cab to the airport where I kill another 3 hours until the flight at 3:40..back home by 5:00...

Valerie, it's always something right? I bet your DH was upset with himself. Why starting the Good Wife at season 4? I just finished it and now want to see season 6, but will have to wait until next year when it comes out on Prime. Agree with you on the football players and how they are on the field, but shouldn't they be able to differentiate between the game and real life? I am not so sure about the one that they just suspended or whatever for alleged child abuse. I did not read the whole thing, but supposedly he threw a shoe towards the child ( not sure why) didn't hit the child, and this happened in July...now the mother is bringing this up?

Lynda, how was the dinner out?

Lori, you definitely deserve a ME day. I like that term a lot! LOL.

Josie, smart that you are going to stay away from running, at least for a while, but that is too bad since you seem to like it a lot.

Judy, I would think that the Roosevelt's series would be available right from PBS? Or maybe they want people to purchase the DVD's. Glad you are getting your home gym back soon.

Work, then agility class,

Any plans for the weekend?

I saw the Roosevelt DVD for $69 at Costco. I'd want to see part of the series before buying it. we like dvd's to watch when we're camping (no signal ) and historical things are good but need to test it out first.

Deb that seems like a lot of expense and time wasted. can't they set up some kind of teleconference?

we haven't seen season 5 of TGF ....on the way from Netflix to watch on disk while camping. we were going to look at a season 4 summary but decided since it was on hulu, we'd watch and see how much we remembered. turns out not much! there's enough content in each episode , almost like we hadn't seen it before.

Oh yeah DH is upset... so am I. it was careless and caused a bunch of unexpected difficulties. everyone gets relaxed after driving for so many miles. it's been my "job" to stay alert to potential issues and mostly I do well, but I have to be there. our own driveway isn't high risk. oh well. got our new tires and put them on and doing some cooking and loading today ( rainy) so we can ride tomorrow when it's sunny.

In agree that they should be able to tell real life from the field. still, it must be hard to turn on/off the aggression and most sports select out for people who are naturally physical and aggressive.... football probably more than most sports. it seems men who make a lot of money get a free pass to do things that a average joe would go to jail for. the women who are involved aren't blameless. I'm trying not to "blame the victim" but doesn't seem there's incentive to change behavior if it continues without any apparent penalty, like her reporting it or leaving him. maybe that will change some now if sponsors start withdrawing money and there's continued bad publicity and a few people get fired.

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (44:39).

Welcome back, Lori! I think the final episode of the Roosevelts is on tonight. I recorded the last two episodes, so I have some watching to do. You definitely deserve some time for yourself after the stress of planning and executing a conference.

It was a beautiful drive up to the top of Mt. Greylock, but very foggy toward the top. Some nice views along the way, but too foggy at the Bascom Lodge. Very yummy dinner--flatiron steak, gratin, salad, sourdough bread, and crème caramel--prix fixe and just two choices. I don't know how they manage to get their food up there on a daily basis for breakfast, lunch, dinner. I would like to go again in the summer when it is clear.

Deb, what do you do during all of that dead time? I guess I would just read, but I get so restless waiting around in airports.

Valerie, I totally agree on Orphan Black. I probably won't watch it again next year with the new season. I don't know what to say about football. I'm not a big fan, but I don't think you can blame domestic violence on a game, or that there is a necessary causal connection between aggression on the playing field and abuse at home. DH thinks there might be a problem with steroids, which do make men more violent, so if there is a lot of steroid use by football players, that might play a role.

Josie, glad your knee is feeling better. Maybe a shorter run just to see how your knee reacts? Maybe the surface you run on is also causing problems. Pavement is a lot worse than a dirt road.

Judy, I bet this documentary by Ken Burns is either already or soon to be on dvd. I bet you are counting the days until SIL leaves.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Good morning,

No commitments this weekend, just the kind I like. I have my "list" of to-dos, but those are optional. LOL.

Valerie, we have asked to be able to take the meeting via conference call but the guy who chairs it will not allow anyone to be on the phone for the meeting. His reasoning is that if he does that, no one would come, it would all be by phone. I said but what if you just allow anyone that HAS TO TAKE A PLANE to participate do it by phone and he still will not. It's unbelievable. You will like season 5 of TGW..lots of good stuff happens and some not so good stuff too.

Lynda, your dinner sounds great. It is a far drive from where you are? usually I read to kill time, but I forgot my Nook Ugh! I was so upset with myself, I guess at 3:00 am I was not really awake when I was getting ready. Also forgot my flat shoes to use in the airport, and walking around DC, my feet were killing me when I got home. I went to a coffee shop a couple of blocks away from the ITC building, killed time eating and doing e-mail on my Blackberry, then when I went to the airport to go home I bought Real Simple magazine and read it cover to cover. Still had time to kill.

Looking for my next series to watch...any suggestions?

hi to Josie, Lori, & Judy,

Have a great weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.