Pentagenarians & Beyond: w/b 8/9/10

JoanC

Cathlete
Good morning,

I noticed no one had started a thread. But then realized Deb is on vacation (Hope you're having a good time) and Garance is rehabbing (Hope that is going well).

Official weigh in - 166.6lbs. I lose 2.2lb. Yea!!!!!!

Joan

congrats on the weight loss Joan!
I thought I was going to be gone today but the weather did not clear as predicted so we didn't go hiking. had a very damp weekend here. saturday did disk 34. almost done with STS again. I liked it better this time than the first time.
sunday we tried our new bike shoes and pedals after wrestling with it saturday. DH and I got different pedals and I couldn't get mine to work. could not get my foot/shoe to attach though I tried. I was balancing on the bike while leaning on the car and trying to click my foot in and it just wouldn't, like the angle was wrong. so we bought another set of pedals like DH has and those worked fine. we were only going to ride a couple miles to test them but we kept going and did 25miles with no problems. I know there's a range of different pedals/cleats and some attach more tightly than others. the ones we're using don't clamp on as tightly as others, apparently.
today doing some shopping and will try to get in a plyo leg workout later today.

Lynda, let us know you're doing OK.

I have just found out that I shouldn't do math early in the morning. The weight loss was 1.6lb but I'm still happy.

Hi Joan, Valerie and any later posters--

Yesterday I did 5 miles with Leslie (68 min.), and today, I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

My operation has definitely been a success. I was in a lot of pain for a couple days after surgery last Tuesday and very woozy with Vicodin to keep up with it. I did have the original bandage replaced with a waterproof one so I could shower, and I've been feeling gradually better since last Thursday and have most of my mobility back, but not much strength. I think it will be awhile before I'm allowed to do any lifting, so I will be staying with cardio. Oh, I lost 5 pounds, so I am thinner than I have been for a long time. I just don't have much of an appetite when I am in pain. DH has been doing the cooking, too, but I am looking forward to doing some of that this week.

Went to see the Trey McIntyre Project at Jacob's Pillow on Saturday. Absolutely brilliant dance company, and NYTimes gave it a deserving rave review. The choreography is just plain fun. I was so happy that I was well enough to go, because I have seen this company twice before and loved it.

FIL birthday dinner tonight.

Sounds like next July my older son will finally be getting married--in Napa Valley.

Have a great vacation, Deb!

Garance I like my diet better than yours. At least the strength is supposed to come back pretty quickly after you start lifting again. I'm glad operation was a success.

Hi all,

We got back last night, and after picking up the dogs on the way home from the airport, unpacking etc, I was exhausted. I am so glad I took today off. I wish I could have taken the whole week, but have to go in tomorrow, big client visit.

Garance, glad you are healing nicely. I would think that you would have to wait at least 6 weeks before lifting weights.

Joan, good job on the weight loss!

Josie, I was thinking about you when we were in Los Gatos, all the bikes! It seems like there were groups of bike riders ( the serious types! ) always gathering at some coffee shop or another getting ready for a ride. The town is so great in that way, also a big "dog loving" place. Everyone walks all over with their dogs, sitting at coffee shops with them. All the shops on the streets have big bowls of fresh water outside all the time for the dogs walking by. I could get used to living there for sure, however could not afford it.

We decided that our next family re-union vacation will be in Charleston SC. I have always wanted to go there, so now we are going to do some internet research for a nice place, B&B to stay in etc.

I will be popping in today, since I am home...will check in later...

Did disk 35 yesterday, the last plyo legs. Yes, it's tough but it will get your heart rate up. I actually sweat with plyo legs, and I don't get much impact. I wore a HRM the last two times out of curiosity, and find I get up in the 150's for a short time during some of the plyo sections. I wouldn't do this every day though. I didn't pause the entire workout. the weight disks get paused 'cause my bars are the screw on type, and I can't change weights as fast as cathe does. No matter how prepared I am, I need extra seconds on many of the switches.

Welcome back Deb. I was thinking about you on our first ride with clipless pedals. It went well. too soon to say how big an improvement these will make in our riding but once I got some that fit right it wasn't that big an adjustment. I would NOT add them unless I were riding regularly.

Josie, I bought some new gloves(on sale) with a big pad under the wrist area specifically for numbness issues. I thought they helped immediately, but will need to do a longer ride to be sure. I had no idea that was the spot that needed protecting.

Linda, I don't know anything particular about your surgery but you said there 'd be much physical therapy. the therapist should move you along as quickly as you're able. there's a huge range for post-surgery patients.... those in good shape progress much more rapidly than those who aren't. it's a process....

Welcome back, Deb! and hi to Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Zumba Cardio Party (48 min.). Very humid today and while not excessively hot (80s), I did work up quite a sweat.

Lovely dinner last night with in-laws. MIL made a really nice meal.

I guess I will find out about PT on Friday, when I get the stitches taken out. I vaguely recall the orthopedist telling me that most of the exercises could be done by myself at home, so we will see. I also think he said no lifting for 6 weeks, so you are probably right, Deb.

Did any of you take advantage of Cathe's presale? Just curious. It seemed to me that many of those participating are relative newcomers to Cathe--or at least to the open forum--because they don't have many posts. I also read over at the videofitness forum that people have had problems selling the shock cardio dvds and no luck at all selling STS.

ttfn

Lynda, good luck with the PT, home or otherwise. Great that you can be exercising already. and congrats on the weight loss! that's one tough way to lost 5 lbs though.

I'm curious about the new DVDs but not curious enough to pull out the Visa card. I need to see clips before I can see if they'd work for me. I've in love with STS, I can't imagine selling it, but to each his own. I've done the first half at least 4 times and then I had my 6 month layoff of upper body work. I've done it twice since last November. I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy a 'different workout every day". DH is finishing it for the first time right now and wants to restart it in a couple weeks. I never did do the 1RM testing... might actually do it just to make my workout cards print with close to the correct weight.

Hi Ladies,

My DH and I went played hooky and went to Las Vegas for the day on Monday. I came back with $500 in my pocket. I will be doing my weight training plus a 30 minute run on the beach.

Garance, I'm so happy that everything went well with your sugary. I know where your 5 pounds went and where Joan's 1.6 pounds went. They are now residing on my behind :)
Did you get a chance to look at my blog? It has been updated.

Valerie, I'm glad that you changed the clips on your bike. I'm so used to mine that it’s second nature.

Deb, I know what you mean about those small towns. I want to go back to Pismo Beach and Cayucas. These two little towns were so beautiful and bike friendly.

Hi to Cathy!

Josie

Wednesday

Good morning,

I "slept in" again this morning, got up at 5:45 with the alarm. Not sure why but I do not feel like doing any workouts. In that slump again.

Yesterday I went to lunch with my cousin and we looked at Pandora bracelets. Has anyone seen those? Kind of like the "new" charm bracelet, but very expensive. Back to work today, but at least it's a short week for me. :rolleyes:

Valerie, you must be good at modifying if you do not get much impact from plyo legs. I think I did one, or viewed one once, but that was it. I could not do any of Cathe's workouts without stopping for water.
Doesn't she take any breaks in the Plyo ones? Kelley Coffey-Myer never stops in her 30 minute ones, she says that she has to pack a lot into 30 minutes, so no time for breaks.

Garance, glad you are doing so well! :). I did not do the presale, like you and others, I would want to see clips first. Even the descriptions did not get me to want to buy. I think I would like the STS full body one, if it had some good premixes. Too bad they are not selling them individually, I probably would have caved for that one. I think I like STS about the best out of all her weight workouts, then 4DS would be next.

Josie, good for you for playing hookie! How far is LV from LA? did you drive or fly?

Hi to Joan & Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did 4 Fast Miles with Leslie (56 min.). Also picked up my knitting needles, and was delighted that I could knit again! I know, I know, it doesn't count as exercise, but believe me, I couldn't maneuver those needles for quite awhile.

Deb, I have heard of Pandora charms. There's a shop over in Albany called Wit's End, I believe, and they advertise regularly on TV. I don't have a charm bracelet of my own, but I do have one of my sister's bracelets, which you would probably appreciate, because it has a charm for each of her dogs--one springer, two dachshunds, and one schnauzer.

I like STS for the upperbody, but don't do the lower body stuff anymore, and never, ever the plyo.

Sorry, Josie, you will have to remind me of your blog address again. I wrote it down and watched you on your bike trek, but have not been back since. Glad my 5 lbs. ended up on your butt where it will serve you well as padding for those long bike rides.

Valerie, there are some "vidiots" (not my slur--that's what they call themselves!) over at the forum-that-will-not-be-named (regarded as Voldemort by some Catheites) who never even opened some of the STS materials and are trying to sell it on ebay. Also people like Cathy who bought the entire set of Shock Cardio and can't get rid of the workouts they don't like. I think STS may be hard to sell at a decent price because it's pretty expensive to begin with. I spent a lot of lurking time over at the other forum while I was groggy with painkillers because they had an interminable thread about the presale that was pretty wild and addictive. I'm not registered over there but every now and then I like to see what they are talking about because they seem to know every new workout to be released.

Hi to Joan and Cathy!

Thursday

Good morning,

Still in the slump, for some reason I just want to sleep in and not get up. It's not like I have any intention of getting up, I decide right when I am going to bed that I am not getting up. :confused:. I think I will just right this week off and get my mind ready for starting out again on Sunday.

Garance, Is knitting good for your recovery? Is that repetitive motion ok to do at this point? I like the new Pandora charms because they do not "jangle" unless you buy the dangeley ones. They have things called clips that you can put on to keep them in place, and spacers for in between charms. Of course that means you spend a lot more money! I would love to have a charm with our dog breed, but the only dog they had was a Bull Terrier ( The Spud's Mackenzie dog). I forgot to ask, how was Max when you came home? He must have been so happy! I too got hooked on that thread at Video Fitness. Boy there are some nasty people over there, but some also had some good points.

Hi to Josie, Cathy, Valerie & Joan

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (50 min.).

Deb, I don't know if knitting is bad. I guess I will have to ask tomorrow when the stitches come out. Hope I don't look like Frankenstein! So, are you going to buy a Pandora bracelet? I know what you mean about jangly charms. I very seldom wear my sister's bracelet because it is so noisy. Max was thrilled when we got back. I was in too much pain to be kissed and licked, but he just ran in circles when we let him out of the car on the farm. He has a whole new brood of chicks to watch over, and since we have a fledgling hawk (boy are they noisy when Mom and Dad stop feeding them) who might find this easy prey, he has his work cut out for him. Yep, that thread was mesmerizing. I thought with your new KCM workouts you'd want to go gangbusters.

Anyone going to see Eat, Pray, Love? Did anyone read the book? I did not, so I don't really have an opinion.

I've had a great couple days. Finished STS tuesday. Whoopee! DH finished it too. he wants to start again immediately but I may take a week off and do some different workouts. we have a 5 day vacation starting the 21st so I'd barely get started and would be interrupting.
I'm not trying to talk anyone into plyo moves but there are only a few moves that bother me. I jump, not as high... no wide or high jumps over the step. I modify by jumping to the top of the step and then down, etc but I keep the same speed as they do. I often use 1 less riser. They're hard but don't find the impact an issue. I'm not sure I'd want to do them all the time but as a small part of the program it's kinda fun.

It escapes me why anyone would "invest" in STS and then not try it. Maybe it's my penny pinching attitude. anytime I spend that much $$$ on something I check it out thoroughly before tossing in the towel. I was concerned about doing it without doing the 1RM testing. I was not familiar with most of the exercises and could not convince myself it was a good plan to do as many reps as I could of a move I wasn't familiar with. so I did it MY way and learned the exercises and recorded weight used, and wasn't in a hurry to get to my maximum weight. good results, no injuries. I never really considered shock cardio because I get pretty much cardio as it is but that one seems to have disappointed a lot of folks. .

Yesterday we did an 8 mile hike, 3000 feet gain, 6 hours. It was lovely, gorgeous. today we did our 35 mile bike ride, 2.5 hours. DH fell twice when he forgot to unclip, but I made it thru unscathed. he got a few scrapes, nothing serious. we did the ride in our usual time so it didn't make a difference in speed/time yet but they are comfortable.

Josie, the gloves I bought are a HUGE help with my wrist numbness. The brand is "bg" for Body Geometry. they were $25 on sale for $15 at a local bike shop. they have a large ulnar pad and it dramatically helps my numbness. this ride was the test, it's where i usually get very numb.

I used to be quite the knitter, but I started to develop a misshapen pinkie finger long ago, and thought it was from the tension of holding the yarn. I used to enjoy it but quit because of the finger and never restarted. It turned out to be something else, not the knitting. I used to get sick of everything I made before it was done anyway. Mostly, I liked it because it kept me from snacking while watching TV etc. Lynda, do you fine that the case? I never even thought about eating when I was knitting away. I used to work graveyard shift and it helped pass the time when things weren't busy. I still have all the supplies.

can you tell me what video forum you're talking about? inquiring minds want to know...

Hi,

Well, I caved and bought the new STS DVD, pre-ordered it. :rolleyes:

Valerie, you asked about the other website, it is Videofitness.com..here is a link to where the threads are:

http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

It;s funny because I went over there to get you the link, ended up reading again and that is where I found out that you can now pre-order the new DVD's separately! go figure...

Deb

hello all, whew! busy week. had a presentation at a private school on tuesday and today spent the day in austin at a training seminar. worked on monday, and g/kids were here yesterday before i left for austin yesterday. i spent the nite w/ a friend in austin last nite. i am so tired. so, did not workout tues. or today, but i am just too tired. tomorrow i gotta hit it hard and heavy.

garance, what are you recovering from? i have been absent almost all week from here.

Deb, you caved! nothing motivates more than a new workout. there were some answers on the Ask Cathe forum about which are cardio and which are weight workouts.

Thanks for the info on video forum, I found it without trying too hard. How much is the one DVD? the STS one is what I am considering now that I hear you don't need to buy all 4.

deb, you can go to tracie long's club while you're in charleston. how fun. and i was born in charleston, but have never seen it. left when i was 2 weeks old.

Hi,

Valerie, the one by itself is $19.99 plus shipping. It was a little hard to find at first, now I see that she has it right up on the title page..You can now select your method for shipping too... I opted for the First Class Mail, because I have an adversion to using UPS..( since I work for FedEx! ;))

Cathy, when I was a big Firm user, I used to want to go to Charleston to see and work out at the Firm gym, or whatever it was at that time. I forgot that they are there...I guess I thought that when they split up, that was all gone. I may stop by there just for old times sake...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.