Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/3

Good morning again,

I did KCM'sTrim Down #1 this morning. It is very hot and sticky here. We have been having rain off and on since last evening.

Josie, welcome back!

Valerie, thanks for the link for the shelving. It looks really useful for a lot of things, including a rack for DB's and workout DVD's as well.

Lori, that hike sounds tough!

Hi to Lynda, & Judy,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. :)

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got a good walk/hike in and last night I did 30 minutes of Horizontal Conditioning. This morning I did my old favorite, Muscle Endurance.

Welcome back Josie! Thanks for the photos. It looks like you had a great trip. Sorry about the return flight.

Valerie-Thanks for the Amazon link for the shelving unit. It looks like it would work well for me.

Lori-Great job on the 3 hour hike! That is awesome!

Hi to Deb and Lynda!

We are going to spend time with FIL today and run some errands.
I'll check back later,

Judy

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness (70:00) and last night took Max for a 3 mile hike.

Welcome back, Josie and thanks for the pics. What a bummer on that cancelled flight. Travel these days by air is more of an ordeal than a pleasure.

Lori, that sounds like a challenging hike. Max pouts if he cannot go somewhere with DH in the truck.

Judy, I imagine visiting your FIL will not be such a chore with him close to you and DH. I loved Muscle Endurance when I was doing the Intensity Series. It's a great all-round workout.

Hi to Deb and Valerie!

Josie, thanks for the pics... when things settle down tell us more about Spain. Flying has long ceased to be glamorous or even convenient. customer service is nonexistent. I hate flying now and avoid if I can.

those shelving units come in many sizes and at least in silver and black. Hopefully the quality is still the same. I can't say whether the amazon price is good... I'm pretty sure I bought mine locally probably 7 +years ago. I've seen the product at Costco too but they were too large for what I needed.
I like the wire shelves because they don't collect dust and you can vacuum the floor thru the lower shelf without having to take all the weights off. I hate spiders and dust bunnies flying around! I keep most of my workout disks and small things in plastic shoeboxes.

we did a 25 mile ride this morning and will hike tomorrow. yesterday ended up being a rest day.... humid and thunderstorms threatening.

Good evening ladies!

Today I did cathe live hardstrikes followed up with cardio kicks punching drills. Did both on the heavy bag. I have done this Live workout the most. Can't imagine ever tiring of it. Chester and I also went for a 2.5 mile walk. Was very hot this afternoon so he was thrilled to go for a swim too.

Valerie...I looked up the shelves and I think they are a good price. I may purchase a couple of them. Good job on the ride. My son and I are enjoying our hikes. I told him I would buy him a good pair of hiking boots if he is planning to continue. Hoping he does because I will not go by myself!

Lynda...that KCM is a long workout. I have only done her 30 minute ones. I forget she has longer ones!

Judy...Horizontal Conditioning intimidates me! Deb.....good for you getting one of these.

Got to run....i am coloring my hair as I type this and my timer just went off. :eek:

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

I did the Sprint 8 workout on the treadmill and the first workout from the "Getting Started" horizontal conditioning DVD. That is tough. I could only do 1 set, you are supposed to circle back and repeat the 7 excercises 2 more times. Something I will need to work up to. It's a great core workout.

Judy, how you do that HC for 30 minutes is amazing! Did it take you a while to work up to that?

Lynda, that is a very long KCM...she posted a presale that starts tomorrow...she is starting to do workouts for young athletes, one of the news one she is doing is geared to teens, and a little older. She is also doing a kettle bell workout, which I may be interested in if she puts in her regular music. All the kettle bell workouts I have are horrible when it comes to the music. They are not motivating at all, so I find myself never going back to them.

Valerie, good point on the shelving being easier to keep clean! I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes sense now that you mention it. Our basement gets really dusty and so do all the things on shelves.

Lori, you would like the HC workouts, they are supposed to be great core workouts, but work upper body as well I think.

Hi to Josie,

Taking Keegan to the groomer and meeting my friend for breakfast.

Take care,

Deb, I hate dusting and mostly prefer to use a canister vac with a crevice tool to get webs, dust, hair etc. the open shelving makes it easy to "dust"without taking everything off and moving the shelving out. if that's required, it doesn't get done often. think we're going to try kayaking this morning so maybe more later.

Hi Ladies,

I think I'm back to normal now :). I went spinning two days last week and one body pump class. Today I'm going to clean out my closet and give away my old jeans and running shoes to the Gay and Lesbian youth center. My DD brought me a pair of the new line from 7 For all Men Kind it called Jen 7. The fit is amazing, check out their web-site.

The trip was wonderful and weather was not bad at all. There is so much to see that it would probably take 6 months to see it all. I was not to crazy about the food though and my system went out of whack, my sleep pattern was also off.

I enjoyed Madrid for their lay back attitude, Barcelona reminded me of New York. If we ever go back I would love to stay by the beach in Barcelona.

The museums were wonderful and architecture is amazing.

Judy, I'm so glad that your FIL is near you. Now you and your DH can spend quality time with each other.

I will be back later :)

Josie

This morning I did LLA (48:33) and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

On KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness there are shorter premixes. The whole 70 minute workout is circuits: a little step routine followed by weights, a 1 minute interval, a repeat of weights, then five more circuits and ending with core work.

Deb, I have read that planks like those in Horizontal Conditioning are probably superior to more traditional abs work like crunches, so you are probably getting more bang for your effort even though short. It sounds like you are enjoying your Monday off.

I'm just not interested in buying any more workouts right now. I am hoping that Cathe will eventually sell some of her new ones individually and I might want them if they are low impact. I am skeptical of KCM doing a kettlebell workout because I think her form on some of the weight work is not all that good and over at Videofitness they are always complaining about kettlebell form when someone jumps on the bandwagon (e.g., Kathy Smith) and tries to do one. I have an old Lauren Brooks kettlebell workout and another AOS that I used for awhile. Okay, but I didn't see all the amazing results predicted. The episode of tendonitis with my shoulder has also made me chary of swinging heavy things around. I still do that 15 pound swing in After Burn, but never too far back.

Enjoy August, the last summer month!

Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. I had an early morning dentist appt. Had my 5 crowns permantly put on. Then did some bonding and lastly had the whitening procedure called Zoom. Whitened my teeth in 45 minutes. They look amazing! When he sent away for the crowns I told him to make them white. Figured if I was spending all this money I was going to have white teeth!

Lynda...I think you can now order Cathe's new DVD's by themselves. I think I saw that on her site last week. I am looking forward to her new DVD's. They sound like everything I love. I have no desire at all to do a kettlebell workout out. I am careful with those swings also.

Deb...I agree with Lynda on the HC. A little goes a long way. I know I should do more core work. I just do not enjoy it at all. I do feel I get some with my heavybag workouts and with my barre. You asked before about chester's weight. Been meaning to answer. You would think he would be so thin with all the walks. His doctor doesn't really push him getting below 100 as he know he is really active. He is large all around and very healthy.

Welcome back Josie! Hard to get back into the swing of things after such a nice vacation.

Valerie...been a while since you have gone Kayaking. Hope you had a great time!

Hi to Judy!

Good morning,

Had a great day off yesterday, partly because I bought a new car! I have been looking for a bit, and stopped at the dealers after having breakfast with my friend. I worked out the deal, then when John called from his fishing trip last night, he thought it was good so I went back and put a deposit down. It should be here in 7-10 days.

Valerie, how was the kayaking? That has got to be a great upper body workout!

Josie, glad you are back to normal, vacationing can wear you out! Not the actual vacation, but the trip itself, plane delays, waiting in airports etc. I looked at those jeans...I don't think I would fit in any of them :(.

Lynda, I am skeptical about KCM's KB workout too, but for $13.99 and free shipping, I will probably take a flyer on it. She will have clips up in a couple of weeks. I think it's good that she is branching off into another line, ( young people athletic DVD's) less temptation for me! I have Lauren Brooks and AOS too, and those are the ones that have all the boring music. KCM told me she was not going to have boring music...we'll see I guess.

Lori, how do you like the Zoom whitening? I read some reviews and some people say it is very painful afterwards. If Chester is healthy and can do those walks you do and the swimming, he is probably at the weight he should be at.

Hi to Judy,

Work, then home to relax.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 4 mile run and then a 9 mile bike ride. Today my calves are really sore, as I haven't been running much recently. We are getting a thunderstorm this morning so this will be an indoor workout day.

Lynda-it's so good to have FIL this close. I can stop in on my way to work and check on him and DH and I go see him after dinner so we are able to monitor his condition and his care so much better than before.

Valerie- I showed DH the Amazon link to the shelves and he thinks we can get them at Lowes. Great job on the biking and hiking!

Deb-the first couple of times that I did HC, I only did one of the 10 minute sets. I decided to try doing 3 last weekend. It was very tough and I did have to use some of the modifications. The last set I wasn't able to do all of the pushups. I'm going to try doing it twice a week for awhile and I will probably stay with the "Getting Started" DVD for awhile too. Once I can do the 3 sets more easily then I'll order some of her other workouts.
I'm going to pre order KCM's kettle bell DVD too. I have a couple of kettle bells that I haven't used, and it's hard to pass up $13.99 and free shipping.

Josie-Spain sounds like a wonderful place to visit!

Lori-I'm going have to check out Zoom whitening. I've been using all kinds of over the counter whitening products and toothpastes. They help a little but probably not as good as having it done professionally.

Judy

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (58:00) and last night I took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Lori, I, too, thought that I read that you could buy the Cathe dvds individually, but I believe what is meant is that you can buy the GROUP in individual cases or in one big case like XTrain, but the sale price is for all of them, not individual selections. If you saw something different, let me know. The Dancin' Abs I did today is really a good abs workout, and it's not boring at all. A couple of the routines I suspect are like Hip Hop Abs.

Josie, I will check the 7 for All mankind site, but I think I already have too many pairs to warrant another purchase. I like NYDJ quite a bit. I really enjoyed the tapas and Sangria in Madrid. Did you ever go to a flamenco bar?

What kind of car did you get, Deb?

Judy, I bet your FIL will improve with you and DH checking in on him more frequently.

Hi to Valerie!

Good evening ladies....

This afternoon was Suzanne Bowen's Barre for about 30 minutes and tonight was Cathe's Live Intensity step. Both great workouts. My legs were tired after these.

Deb...yes the Zoom makes the teeth unbelievably sensitive for a good 24 hours. The procedure itself did not hurt at all. I had to take advil several times because my teeth actually ached and I wanted to rip them out at one point! The advil helped thank god. The results were amazing and I am very happy. If I do it again I will at least know what to expect.

Judy...I have used the crest white strips and they did an ok job. Nothing like having it done professionally. The cost at my dentist was $295 discounted from $350 because of all the work I was having done! He is a little pricey so you may find a better deal if you shop around.

Josie...i am like Lynda I have so many pairs of jeans. I just heard on the news that there are now jeans made by or with spanx!! Now those I may buy. :)

Lynda...I will have to look at the pre sale again. I must have miss read the description. I have Hip Hop abs that I bought at a yard sale and I have yet to do it. Perhaps I should try it out and will actually enjoy working my abs.

Hi to Valerie!

Did not kayak because of some family issues. somewhat settled down today. too complicated to type it all out...!!! so did treadmill, and bi's and tri's plus core. today did yoga class, and then we did a 2 hr 25 mile ride. I'm getting used to those. tomorrow the hike . we make a plan and follow it, just not necessarily on the right days.

Good morning & Happy Hump Day to the rest of the working crowd!

Judy, you got back into running pretty quickly. It's great that you can see your FIL to and from work, or stop by easily in the evenings. The people at the AL place notice those things and they will be more attentive to him knowing he has people dropping in. I am glad someone else is getting the KCM KB workout besides me! LOL. She has done a great job on premixes on her last few workouts, but I don't see how you can do too much with a KB workout, there isn't really a "upper" vs "lower" body part. It should be out by the fall. One thing about her...she is fast in getting stuff filmed and out the door. :)

Lynda, it's too bad Cathe doesn't sell these individually. I am sure there will be ones in the bunch that I will not do. Like step :(. I bought another Subaru...a 2015 Forester. I got a higher end one this time. I can't wait to get it! Which ones of the NYMJ jeans do you get? I still reach for my trusted pair of Lucky jeans most often.

Lori, so you had to take Advil wow...I can ask John about the Zoom stuff. I have veneers on some teeth, and they do not whiten with any of these things. I could have him do the bottom teeth though...mmm....

Valerie, hope everything is ok with the family.

Work, then home to crash. I stayed up too late last night watching episodes of Six Feet Under...that show is addicting! Speaking of which, did anyone watch The Shield? My friend told me about it and said it was really good.

Take care,

This morning I did Flextrain (56:36). No walk last night--thunder and lightning and rain.

Deb, I like the bootcut NYDJ. I wore out my first pair of Lucky Brand, which were made in the good old USA. When I ordered another pair, it was made in China and was just plain not the same. The first pair had a button fly that laid flat. The next pair had a zipper and bulging fly that was totally unflattering, and the crotch was completely different. It was the same model, but obviously not made even remotely as well.

Josie, I looked at the 7 for All Mankind site, but cannot imagine spending 200 dollars on a pair of jeans. Did your daughter give you a pair of "Josefina" jeans? Aren't you special to have a pair of jeans named after you!

Lori, my problem with spanx is that I am not willing to put up with the discomfort. Reminds me too much of those girdles my mom would struggle into every morning. Ugh! There is a bit of butt lifting in the NYDJ, but it's not uncomfortable.

Hope all is well with your family Valerie.

Hi to Judy!

Good morning,

Lynda it was just you and me here yesterday, where did everyone go? Did your DH ever get those sky dancers or something like them? I have those exact Lucky jeans that you had, button fly, lays flat, love them! Then I got another pair a while later and you are so right, they were nothing like the originals, made in China...blah! LOL about the Spanx and it being like a girdle. How did our Mom's wear those? Mine only did when she wore a dress.

Hi to Judy, Lori, Valerie, and Josie!

Not much going on here, John comes home today from his fishing trip, it's been pretty quiet around here.

Take care,

We did a hike yesterday with a long drive so I never got around to posting.

family issues have to do with money and my brother trying to take control over funds DH and I have managed for our mother. He is not going about this the right way and is very inept financially. it is making me sick. a hellish week over this. I don't think his intentions are evil, but he knows nothing about investing and is not suited to this task at all.

I have some spanx that I wear with knit pants. it smooths things any lumps or panty lines so the pants drape better. Not something I'd wear in warm weather happily. I would not wear them with jeans. but what can I say, I never found any jeans that fit and gave up until I look again this fall. no $200 jeans in my closet!
I bought a body shaper garment that you wear with your own bra. supposed to be worn under a dress. it is mighty uncomfortable.

congrats on the new car deb. we have a '14 Outback, and an '04 Forester. I actually like the older car better, but the new one has its good points. they go anywhere thru anything... fantastic for driving in crummy weather or slippery roads. the newer one has less visibility than the old one... the roof pillars interfere a little for me. the seat belt chime is extremely annoying... that is my main complaint. I always use it but if you need to unbuckle even briefly it chimes incessantly. I think I complained about this before. my BIL/SIL got the back up camera option ...they load a boat /trailer and it helps a lot. I'd love the side vehicle approach warning system... don't know what it's really called... the warning for when you're backing out of a parking spot and someone is either behind you or approaching from the side. would prevent a lot of minor accidents and keep you from backing over something below window level.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.