Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/24

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Just getting us started for the week,

Valerie, thanks for posting that information about the documentary. I wonder if my uncle would benefit from that. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember if he liked music when he was younger or what kind. I know he loved to dance with my aunt at weddings and parties, always to big band music so maybe that would be something my cousin could try with him.

Not sure what we will be doing today, it's beautiful here so maybe a walk with the dogs.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Deb, as soon as I read the review, I thought how obvious is this!! every time I hear an old song on the radio I'm instantly transported back to where and what I was doing when I first heard the music. times, places, specific situations. Movies do it ( sometimes heavy-handedly) when they try to re-create a time period...

the challenge is to find what music they liked. my father didn't like music at all, I have no idea why, and my mother liked stuff that made my teeth hurt... so different generation will have to ask questions and ignore their own tastes.

garden day yesterday, a ride today. very sore calves from the hike but OK if I keep moving. those first few steps after sitting are pretty rough.

ETA ....Deb last week you said something about your bike carrier. Ours is at least 10 yrs old, has 6 straps.. at first it was confusing. I put it on right, then labeled the straps with a marking pen.... 2 "roof", 2 "side", and 2 "bumper". the first bike we put on is mine, and it faces left so the center post lines up & can be secured. made it a lot easier until we used it a few times. DH usually puts them on so if I do it I still use the labels to get it right without wrestling. or load the bikes and take a picture with your phone? lots of ways to make it less hassle. we've been using them 2x a week at least.

if you don't like the carrier you could sell it and get a different one. we've sold a couple because carriers often fit certain models of cars and not others. so there's always a churn going on. we had a swing-away one that mounted on a hitch. when we sold the old truck it didn't work on the new one so it was easy to sell, as you can meet someone away from your home to do it. the major makers like Thule and Yakima have elaborate web sites that match car model to carrier.

we did a 25 mile ride this morning in under 2 hours. enough for today.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

Hike was great. My son brought his Go Cam and recorded a bit of it. Was kind of fun to watch afterwards. BBQ was great too. Too much food!

Today I did an hour of upper and lower barre and 15 mins of HIIT. Then took chester for a 2 mile walk. We are grilling right now and are planning to make margaritas and a fire. Nice way to end the weekend!

Valerie...very interesting documentary. Thanks for sharing. Nice ride too!

Deb...hope you enjoyed your day!

Hi to Judy, Josie and Lynda!

Good morning,

Ugh, it's Monday. It was bound to get here eventually.

Valerie, I think our bike rack is a Thule. That's a good idea to mark the straps. It's like a puzzle every time we use it, it takes up a lot of time and kind of makes you not want to do it. But I bet if we did the labeling, it would not be such a pain.

Lori, sounds like a great hike. Have your DS post it on YouTube then we can see it!
Nothing much here, it's going to be a busy week with contractors, doing the roof starting Tuesday, then another electrical estimate. We were supposed to have the AC done on Thursday but if the roof is being done, we will have to postpone.. ah...lovely home repairs...

Hi to Josie, Judy, and Lynda,

Work, then team practice and class tonight,

Have a good one

Deb, we use it so often DH doesn't need labels anymore. they're for ME who seldom puts it on..... all those flopping straps look the same! use a sharpie to mark the straps and see if it doesn't help. ours is easiest if we start with the two top straps that go above the tailgate window. I'm guessing here that if the rack goes on a forester, it's similar to ours on the outback.

ours has two rubbery support pieces that the bike presses against, one under the top tube, the other against the underside of the seat post. there's only one way a bike can go on and "use" them. on ours, first bike faces left, second bike faces right. I think ours is a Yakima "mighty Joe" or something like that. it must be 10-15 yo now.

In theory, someone could steal the rack itself while you're off riding so we used to take it off and put it inside when we left the car. ours is old enough we don't bother anymore but we do not leave it unattended if the bikes are on it, or else we cable lock it to the car. a shame that everything that isn't nailed down can get stolen. some racks are $400-$500 and hold 4 bikes ...a big score for a petty thief... it's worth being cautious.

yes, tis the season for home repairs. our gate went well. next is a new wood stove, sometime this week. then we are cooling it on spending for a while. we want to do some interior upgrades but those are good winter projects.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Afterburn (54:00).

I had a great time in Minnesota and felt very pleased with myself when I looked at my high school classmates and saw that I had been doing pretty well fighting against the ravages of time. I would say about half of the men and women were overweight and out of shape. I came back with a renewed sense of how important it is for me to keep working out every morning. My friend stays in shape chiefly through riding her horse and walking her dogs, but she also looked pretty darn good. A lot of laughs for both of us. We're thinking of doing a spa vacation in January when it's super cold in Minnesota, and pretty cold here as well.

I will have to read all of the posts I missed.

The Monday blues again for you, Deb. Any more thoughts about retirement?

Good evening ladies...

Slept pretty good for a Sunday night. Must have been the margaritas and dile we had. :eek:

This morning I ran 2 miles on TM and tonight no workout. Had a Drs appt today and one of the things I discussed was weird panic attacks I started having while driving on the highway. They are terrible and have been happening now in the day light as they were few and far in between and only at night. So she wants me to go into therapy as opposed to taking a pill. i am ok with this so we'll see how this goes. The therapy is supposed to help me managed and get in control when I feel one coming on. Seems like there is always something!

Deb...great idea on YouTube. My DS is Camping in New Hampshire so when he returns I'll mention it to him.

Valerie....never gave it much thought as to how easy it would be to steal someone's rack when you were off biking. Like you said so sad you have to worry about crap like that! While I was down the Cape someone was trying to use my credit card in Virginia. Fortunately, my cc company caught on and called me.

Lynda....Welcome Back!!! This is one example of my post a few days back when we are hard on ourselves and then we see someone our own age and they are out of shape and do not care for themselves like we try and do. Then you can sit back and say...yup I am doing all right! Spa vacation sounds lovely!

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good morning,

Team practice and the class were fun last night. We are getting closer and closer to the actual trial. Our team theme ( they always have themes) is " Send in the Clowns", our name is "The Munday Clowns" The dogs will wear polka-dot neckerchiefs, we have big polka-dot bows, little polka- dot hats, and clown noses! At the end we are supposed to bring out our Kazoos...not sure if we will remember to do that. LOL.

Valerie, yes, house repairs, upgrades whatever are not fun...Embarrassed to say we have not had the bikes out even once this summer :(

Lynda, welcome back! I think about retirement every day. I am so nervous about it. I have not done anything official except get reports from the pension people, and the cost of health care for retirees. They can only give me what it costs this year, I'm sure it will go up next year. Then the debate about social security, and whether to take it at 62 or wait until I am 66. Decisions, decisions. I keep thinking that once I make the announcement ( if I do) it will be too late to turn back if I change my mind. What is wrong with me?

Lori, oh..that is horrible about the panic attacks. How long has this been going on? Does it happen only on highways, or any type of driving? I know what you are going through. I get them if I have to drive over a high bridge. Any trip to Canada I make has to be with another person to drive, as from here to Toronto there are a couple of skyway bridges that I cannot drive over. I am ok as a passenger. I would agree with your DR..try therapy first before starting on meds. Those medications are scary.

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

Work, then home to see what is happening with our roof. It starts today I hope. They dropped off the shingles in the driveway yesterday and the dumpster comes today...

Take care,

This morning I did Dancin' Abs (58:00).

Deb, I guess it depends on how reliant you would be on soc. sec. for a stream of income. I'm waiting until 70 because I just don't need it. I know what you mean about the anxiety, though. Once I decided to retire and made my plans known, I had a lot of intermittent tremors. They went away once everything was in place. No regrets.

Lori, that's awful about panic attacks while driving. I have some issues with claustrophobia and flying, but I can take a pill for that which obviously would not be good for me if I were driving. Yep--I had lots of compliments on my shoulders the first night of the reunion--nice and defined from working out with Cathe--and had fun dancing the second night while a lot of people sat it out, ahem, for obvious reasons.

My friend and I are thinking of Rancho La Puerto for our spa. They have a special in January if you take a triple Villa Studio, so we will be recruiting another friend. A week for 2250 per person. Rave reviews for this place.

I hope you don't mine me joining you

I hit 51 on my last birthday. Today I did Rock Out Knock Out with two pound weights gloves, and I am going to do the legs from Muscle Max. Thank you.

Good evening ladies!

This morning I ran 2 miles on the TM then 2 of Suzzane Bowen's 20 minute upper and lower Barre. I am totally addicted to the burn I get with Barre.

The panic attacks have been horrible. They started last January driving at night with my son and his girlfriend in the car and only happens when I have a truck to my right and either a car or guard rail to the left. I have never been claustrophobic so this is coming from nowhere. Last one was driving home from the Cape a couple weeks ago and the first time during the day. All very scary.

Welcome Caitlin! I am 52 (very soon to be 53!) and joined in with these lovely ladies almost 2 years ago. It is nice chatting with other women who also enjoy fitness as much as I do at my age. Great job on hard strikes with 2lb weights! I do all my cathe kickboxing using my heavy bag. Love it!

Deb...so cute with the polka dot scarves!! I can picture it now. I am way off from retirement. Right now it is only a far off thought for me.

Lynda...that spa sounds sooo nice. Pricey but I bet it is worth every penny! What a fun thing to do with friends.

Hi to Judy, Josie and Valerie!

Good morning! It's Hump Day!

We got our estimate on the electrical upgrade yesterday and if this guy comes through with the estimate like he said, we will be going with him. Tomorrow the hot water pump thing and the new AC unit is installed, however we can't use the AC until the electrical job is done. the shingles were delivered for our roof, but the contractor called me yesterday and said he has to delay until Tuesday next week Surprised? NOT...and so it begins.

Lynda, where is Rancho La Puerto? It sounds lovely. Does that include food and all the treatments? I would not need the SS payments, but I have this thing about waiting, and if something were to happen before I file for it...I know, I know...you can't think like that.

Caitlin, Welcome! That workout sounds tough!

Lori, so if you stay in the right hand lane, where you would not have anything to your right, are you ok?

Hi to Josie, Valerie, and Judy,

Work, then I pick up Kylee at the groomers before coming home tonight. She needs it badly!

Take care,

thank you labnick

Sometimes I feel as if I am getting slower, and I used to run 55 miles a week and even ran the Marathon. I can still run, but I have to wear a McDavid knee brace. I also can't run more than three or four miles. Today I am going to do some old Christi Taylor hi lo, and my upper body.

Hi Ladies,

Got back from Vegas on Monday and felt like a blob, but went to body pump yesterday. Today I will be spinning. Vegas was fun and I got to hang out with one of my DB and my SIL.

Caitlin, welcome to our group. I just turned 58 on the 20th.

Deb, glad that you found someone to do the work. Now the mess begins ;)

Garance, sounds like your reunion was fun and motivating to continues your daily workouts. I get that motivation when I attend a family gathering and see family members that are my age or younger and they are so out of shape.

Valerie, I don't have a bike rack, my bike fits in my car :). I just take the front wheel of.

Hi to Judy and Lori!

Josie

This morning I did High Reps (65 min.). I don't like the abs on this one, so I might lop that off the end.

Welcome, Caitlin! I think I am the most senior member of this group--67. You should not be so worried about slowing down a bit. I cannot do a lot of high impact stuff anymore, and no way am I going over 6 inches on my step if I do a step workout. But I still get very good workouts and modify when needed.

Deb, Rancho del Puerta is all-inclusive for meals, lodging, hikes, exercise classes, and transportation to and from San Diego airport (it's located just south of the border in Mexico)but I think the spa treatments are extra and the culinary lessons if you want them. I guess I would at least wait until you reach the FRA on social security (66), because if you start taking it earlier, you lose a lot of money--unless, of course, you live to be 100. (We should be so lucky!)

Josie, one of my sil's cycling friends, who sustained only minor injuries in that accident, actually rode her bike up Mt. Washington. Unbelievable! She did it for her friends.

Lori, my doctor also recommended a book to me: Search Inside Yourself by Chade-Meng Tan, which is all about mindfulnesss. I have found it very helpful for dealing with anxiety and concentration, but I still need something for flying.

Hi to Judy and Valerie!

Welcome Caitlin... I'm 66 and still run a little but am trending toward less impact too. I cycle more now but still use the treadmill sometimes. I am looking for long term sustainable things while reducing the chances of injuries.
I also feel pretty good when I get in a group of people who don't exercise. the older you get, the more obvious the differences are. the real eye openers are when you are with someone 20+ years younger and can easily out do them.

Deb, I started my SS at 62. DH and I did the math and because he retired early at 58, we decided we would be OK with somewhat less money but sooner. I expect you will also get a pension? when would that start? I also have my 95 yo mother to think of .... for longevity.... and she never even took care of herself. all the women on her side lived to 95+. they were sedentary and obese. so who knows what I have in my future? of course , father went at 74 so who knows? good luck with the contractors... that is always a 3 ring circus. our recent paint job went quite well though, and we got our gate in easily. tomorrow is a new wood stove. Hope all the roof/electrical stuff sorts itself out. we had our roof done maybe 5 years ago and it was a mess. no way around it. but you should not have to ever do it again, so it's a one time unpleasant thing that will be over soon.

lori that is strange... but I would not want to take meds all the time for something that happens so infrequently. maybe the counseling will help identify what exactly sets it off? I also use occasional meds like Lynda before flying and sometimes if I get panic/nightmares, usually related to traveling. but it's fairly predictable and mostly interrupts sleep for me. once I get going, I'm fine. so mainly I use it to quell panic attacks while trying to sleep. it's Xanax, but I would definitely NOT take it if I was driving.

Josie, I think we could get the bikes inside our Outback but with 2 bikes it's nicer to not get them tangled up in the back. plus, we do this regularly, either road or mt bikes. same rack works for all. plus if we travel with them, we have the back compartment for all our other gear.

ETA totally forgot to say ...went to my usual yoga yesterday, did a hike today about 8 miles. not terribly difficult but I didn't get over the hard one from last Friday so this was the right thing. too hot, and not a good destination. hot hazy, humid. but still 8 miles with elevation gain and loss. we need to take some relatives on a hike Friday but it sounds like weather will be marginal. I'm looking forward to cooler weather and some rain.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

This morning I ran 2 miles and this afternoon was an intense Barre workout. Since I got all my workouts in I am relaxing now and rather enjoying it!

Deb...yes you are correct. If I stay to the right I am ok. Very strange. I have my first appt with the therapist on Friday. Not sure what to expect but I am willing to try anything.

Valerie...it came on so suddenly. Hoping the therapist can help because like you mentioned I do not want to be on meds all the time for this. Oh to retire at 58! I would love that.

Lynda...thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look it up. The Ranch does sound nice and now I see it does include a lot for the price.

Caitlin...wow...55 miles a week. That to me is amazing! I like to run but only on my TM. I would run a lttle longer in the morning but the time is not there for me. I love Hiit workouts and all of Cathe's plyo. I feel I can still keep up but when doing step I have decreased my step to 6 inches like Lynda has. Once I read it does not burn that many more calories to use an 8 inch vs. 6 inch that was all I needed. Figured why not help my joints a bit!

Josie...how was Vegas? Bet it was fun. I always feel like a blob when I come back from vacation!

Hi to Judy!

Hi Everyone,

We lost power yesterday due to bad storms and it just came back on a little
while ago. I took an unplanned rest day today but am looking forward to Cathe Live tomorrow. She is doing a spin class.

Yesterday FIL weighed 116 :( he has lost 11 lbs since August 1st. His normal weight was in the high 140's so he has lost 30 lbs since March or April.

Welcome Caitlin,
I am 51, will be 52 in December. I used to run a lot too. I ran marathons at one time and thought I always would, but now I also find that I need to keep my runs short, around 3-4 miles. I've been doing Cathe workouts consistently for over a year now and I love them!

Lori-I'm sorry about the panic attacks. I hope the therapy sessions are helpful.

Lynda-I've had the same experience with my high school reunion. Many of my classmates are in poor health and out of shape. I am glad that working out has been a part of my life for so long. A spa vacation sounds very nice too!

Deb-I'm embarrassed that we've only had our bikes out once this summer. Too much going on with FIL :(

Josie-we have a bike rack now, but I used to always take my front wheel off and carry my bike in my car :)

Hi to Valerie!

Judy

Good morning,

Workers coming today for 2 of the projects, that will be 2 down and 2 to go. :)

Caitlin, Running a few miles at a time is still a great workout! Again, Welcome to our group! I am 61, have been doing some sort of exercise since early 20's. Somehow found Cathe on line, a while ago, and using her stuff for the majority of my exercising. ( when I am in the mode, which drops off every once in while).

Josie, it's great that you jumped right back on to the exercise wagon as soon as you got home. Did you see any shows in Vegas?

Lynda, that spa sounds great! Are you going for the relaxation, social part, or will you get some of the treatments as well? I assume they have a gym or some exercises classes as well.

Valerie, yes, I will get a pension, plus I have a 401K to draw from. I am leaning towards waiting until 66 so if I do want to get a part time job, it won't be all messed up. I still am afraid to make the big decision. This will be the second roof we put on, but you are right, it will be the last, LOL. I did not realize that your DH retired at 58. that's great!

Lori, I hope the therapist can suggest something that you can do to not get those attacks..I am surprised that you do not run outside, especially that Chester likes his walks so much, he seems like he would be a good running partner.

Judy, so sorry to hear about your FIL. Is Hospice there most of the time now?

Take care,

Thank you all for the welcome

I have to get to know you all. I just started working out again around a week or so ago, as it is very hot in my condo and I am on the top floor. I am kind of out of shape. I just did the premix of Low Impact Circuit, the one with just cardio, and I had to do it on 6 inches. I struggled but I finished it and I am very happy with my new Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

I have to figure out what to do for my legs, and it can't be too hard.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.