Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 8/17

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Nice day yesterday, busy and now it's HouseMax today for me.

The festival/agility demo was good, except my dogs decided they wanted to explore the grass on the course instead of running it and listening to me. :rolleyes:This is why I never show them outdoors. They were actually tracking some scent that was on the ground around the obstacle and ignored me completely. John and I packed up and left around noon due to the dark clouds and threat of rain.

Lori, I hope you were able to get home and did not run into any heavy traffic. I bet the dogs were happy to see you.

Valerie, I think the "Wood Moving" workout counts as an upper body workout for you for sure!

Hi to Josie, Lynda, and Judy,

The plan is to do some type of total body weight work today, maybe a short premix of Total Body Tri-sets...we'll see.

Take care,

DH measured it, it was 3.5 to 4 cords of wood and we moved it twice. from the ground into the truck and then out of the truck to the ground to it's new home closer to our house. both of us working took around 4 hours. I tried to work smarter. alternating positions so I was lifting and loading from right to left and then left to right and not grabbing the wood with one hand but on the ends with each hand so avoid promoting tennis elbow. I am quite pleased because of the huge quantity and repetitive motions. not sore at all.

went out to dinner last night with cousin. this morning about to head off on the planned ride. might be gone a couple days on a short trip to visit family and maybe ocean fishing.... dh wants to try but weather looks iffy.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness (70 min.) and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, I guess Keegan and Kylie found something tres pungent to follow. I know Max seems to be especially alert to the smell of groundhogs. If you have been working 42 years, maybe you are more than ready to retire.

Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Very funny! Peter Quill is a Han Solo-like character, and Groot is a hoot. I am not particularly fond of superhero films, but this one does not take itself seriously, and there are some very funny lines. Will be going to see Boyhood this afternoon.

Lori, I hope you have an easy drive home and I'm sure Nilla and Chester will be ecstatic to see you.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Good evening ladies!

Traffic was a breeze. Leaving at 8am was perfect. We were home by 10:30am. Was nice because I had the entire day to unpack and wash clothes. The dogs were hysterical. Bouncing around crying and barking with excitement! Was very sweet to come home too. Later in the day chester and I went for about a 2.5 mile walk and he swam for about 20 minutes. He was in doggy heaven!

This morning we had breakfast and DS and I went on a hike on the mid state trail. We love this hike and DS wants to continue every weekend as much as we can. I enjoy not only the hike but spending time with DS. It is really cool he enjoys this with his mother too. Then took chester for his walk. He was disappointed we did not take him on the hike but very happy I took him afterwards. :)

Lynda...I heard Guardians was good. Hoping to see it at some point.

Valerie...wow all that wood moving and then a ride the next day! You both are amazing!

Deb...too funny about the dogs. But I am sure you didn't think so at the time.;)

Have a great eveing and Hi to Josie and Judy!

too funny ..when you see dogs with a scent that intrigues them, you just KNOW it's a whole different world to them.. we are so lacking in that area. I have the worst sense of smell. pathetic...

Our ride today was nice... it's more efficient after we've done it a few times and know where it will be windy, etc. not much traffic on sunday mornings which is pleasant. this is predominantly a farming area.... we saw a "cauliflower picking machine" up close. not working at the time but it must pick the heads and wrap them... boxed right on the machine, had no idea it got done like that. sometimes there are potatoes...really pretty and fragrant when blooming, broccoli, corn, lots of berries. it's a lovely area to ride. lots of dairy farms with milk trucks picking up their loads. also onions, leeks, apples.

lori, it's much easier if it's team work.. I can unload wood from the truck while he stacks. and we both load the truck. it would take one person 5x as long because they'd have to keep climbing in and out of the truck. how is your husbands recovery going? is he back to normal yet?

Good morning,

Today I did a Sprint 8 workout on the treadmill and Horizontal Conditioning, #1 ( 1 set).

Lynda, I don't know how you do those 70 minute workouts! I am in awe. Yes, 42 years and at the same place. I have to be crazy I guess.

Lori, it is really cool that your son likes to hike with his Mom. That is a great relationship!

Valerie, Yay for WoodMax! that would be a total body workout for sure. The area you did the ride in sounds so nice. I assume you take the bikes there with the car, and then do the ride? We bought a bike carrier for the car and only used it once. :( Have not even taken the bikes out once this summer.

Hi to Judy & Josie,

Work, then team practice at 8:30. There is no class for us tonight, but we need to go in just to practice for our team showing at the trial in a few weeks.

Take care,

Yes, we have a rear carrier for the bikes. of course, if you want to leave them anytime, you need to run a cable lock to attach the bikes and carrier to the car. a shame, but things will get stolen. the bikes stare at us from the garage wall and want to go out and play! we can't ignore them.
we're taking them to Oregon with us to try a new trail near Portland on our way back. people rave about the Oregon coast but I think it's totally boring. we've been doing well, riding 2-3 times a week. haven't hiked as much this year. we have gotten our cousin ( totally unfit guy) interested in biking. he has a trail near his house and bought a bike and has been riding some almost daily. he and DH rode the other day for about 15 minutes and he was sweating and winded for I swear an hour after, while DH didn't even breathe hard. it was amazing the difference. It's a great way to do low impact cardio and it's pretty easy to go for several hours as compared to a more intense Cathe workout. I like the balance of both. things that are boring to walk can be lots more fun to ride, plus you cover 10x as much mileage.

This morning I did LLA (49:22) and last night I took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, I think I am more impressed by Valerie spending so much time on a bike or a long hike. Much longer than 70 min. There is a nice rhythm to Cardio/Sculpt Fitness, and I always figure I could stop before doing all of the circuits. I have never checked the premixes, but I bet she has some good ones on this workout, knowing KCM. I also figure I have some days off later in the week when I head off to Minnesota.

I will once again try to make it to Boyhood this afternoon. It turns out that it's 2 hours and 45 min. and I wouldn't have had time to make dinner yesterday. Leftovers tonight and DH is haying, so I can be a little late this afternoon.

Lori, you and your son would love all the hikes around here. You can do parts of the Appalachian Trail, and there's a great hike I have done several times up to Pine Cobble. Lots of gorgeous views. When the boys were little, we would go for lots of shorter hikes in the fall when the leaves were turning. They would always come back with a bunch of leaves they wanted me to iron between waxed paper.

Enjoy the waning days of summer everyone!

Hi Ladies,

I did 20 minutes of cardio on my TM and plan to do PLB tonight. My DD got me a Groupon to a boot camp program on the beach for two months for my birthday. I will be starting in September three times per week. I can't wait!

My DF came over an we sort of caught up, but she has gotten so out of shape that a short walk on the beach did her in. She also spent most of the time on her I-pad and texting her husband who she said needed a brake from. I'm sorry to say it, but I was glad when she left :(. My friend got old on me :( she will be 60 in December.

Deb and lynda, I don't have a problem doing a 70 minute workout as long as it is fun :)

Lori, I have never been a hiker, but I do enjoy the beautiful scenery when I ride my bike.

Hi to Valerie and Judy!

Josie

Good morning,

Late night, team practice then we had some creep in the parking lot of the dog club, hang around in his car, so we waited for the 2 trainers that were the last ones in the building to come out so they would not be alone. John is going to call the police today and alert them to this. We have suspected that there are some kind of nefarious goings on behind the building. it's a warehouse, and there is no reason for anyone except us to be there at night. Creepy.

Valerie, we have a rear carrier too, it seems like it takes so long to put in on the car, and figure out how to get the bikes on it correctly, almost makes us not want to ride. I like to just get on the bike and go, but it's not a good ride to the park, lots of traffic etc.

Lynda, the 70 minutes must be a premix of some sort? The 2 workouts together? or is this not one of her "30 Minutes to Fitness" ones?

Josie, a Boot Camp program on the beach sounds great! it's sad when you grow apart from a friend, Is she retired too? My DF has always struggled with her weight, but is in a good place now. She has lost 50 pounds! I am so happy for her. I can't get her to do any exercise though. When she hits a plateau with her weight I keep telling her to start a walking routine, even it it's just around the block. She won't do it. If I lived closer to her I would make her take a walk with me after dinner or something.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Work, then home to crash...

Take care,

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (58:00) and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, Cardio/Sculpt Fitness is not one of KCM's 30 min. workouts. I do the whole 70 minute workout, but I'm sure there are some shorter premixes that I have never looked at. You're right--that does sound like suspicious behavior if someone is just lurking in a parking lot.

Josie, that's really sad about your friend. How long has it been since you caught up with each other? Boot camp on the beach sounds great.

Finally went to see Boyhood. The first hour was okay, but after the kid becomes a teenager, it really became painful. Some absolutely cringe-worthy dialogue, a lot of dead time at the end of little speeches--usually from adult males advising Mason to man up in some way, terrible male caricatures, and bad acting. The ending was particularly unbearable. He's off to college, sitting and looking at a sunset with a new girl he's just met, and she says, "You know how they always say 'seize the day' or 'seize the moment'?" (He nods yes.). And she says, "Well, I sorta think you should, like, let the moment seize you." Camera pans to look at beautiful sky. Gawd, I just started laughing. I should have known something like this from Linklater (his first big film was Dazed and Confused, a little homage to laid-back Austin). I think he was also contrasting himself with his star's (Ethan Hawke) boyhood mentor, Robin Williams (who was a great actor), who told his students (including the wide-eyed adolescent Ethan Hawke) in Dead Poets' Society to seize the day and live with passion. Clearly Linklater has a much more passive take on how to live. Ugh! What a waste of time. End of rant.

Good evening ladies,

I was violently sick Sunday night. Went to bed fine but woke up in a couple of hours with terrible stomach and intestinal cramps. Was horrible. Ran to the bathroom all thru the night not sure whether to sit or kneel. Sorry if that was TMI. Pains were so bad it brought me to tears. DH actually woke up and was extremely concerned. At about 4am I finally was getting relief. Fell asleep then it was 6am and the alarm was going off. I had to go to work because of stuff I had going on. Somehow made it thru the day...came home and went to bed.

Today I feel like a new person. A little tired but that is it. Decided not to work out and to take it easy. I did take Chester for a slow walk and felt good doing so.

Josie...that is so sad about your friend as I know you were looking forward to her visit. I would love Bootcamp on a beach!!

Lynda....I also been known to do long workouts. If I am enjoying it I can just keep going. Good to know about Boyhood. Sounds like something I will definitely pass on.

Deb...good that John called the police. I agree that something is not right there. Very nice of you to wait for the trainers too. All and I mean ALL of my close friends do not and could care less about exercise. I have managed to get a group of coworkers exercising but none of my really close friends. They all think I am just nuts that I enjoy working out.

Valerie....great that your cousin is interested in riding. Everyone needs to start somewhere! It is amazing the shape you are in and we sometimes don't realize until we see some one who is not. I do not mean this in a bad way at all but sometimes I can be hard on myself and then when I see someone struggling with a workout I sit back and say...you know I did pretty good today!

Judy...thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Have a great night ladies.

Good morning & Happy Hump Day!

Today I did a Sprint 8 workout on the treadmill and Horizontal Conditioning workout 1. That is so hard, I don't know if I will ever get all of the exercises without stopping to rest.

Lynda, sorry the movie stunk! did it have good reviews?

Lori, it sounds almost like food poisoning! My cousin is an avid exerciser, so I have someone close that likes working out and comparing workouts etc. She does a lot of Zumba, Pilates, and goes to a gym rather than working out at home. But she has it nice in that she makes her own hours, she's a paralegal and free lances with a bunch of law offices, including her husbands.

Hi to Josie, Valerie & Judy,

Work, then back to the club for our monthly meeting, not happy that I have to go out again after work. :(

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

Well, today is my 58th birthday :). I was planning on going spinning, but now I have to wait for a plumber to come and fix a leak under our kitchen sink. I hope that I don't have to wait all day :(.

I did a double class yesterday, spinning and body pump. My upper body is a little sore, but everything else is ok. That means I have to add weight to my barbell for squats and lunges :)

Lori, I Thorpe that you are feeling better today. It must have been all the lobster rolls you ate ;).

Deb, it looks like you are back on the wagon with your workouts.

Hi to Garance, Valerie and Judy!

Josie

This morning I did Burn Sets ba, ch, sh (50:43), and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Happy birthday, Josie! Too bad you have to spend time waiting for a plumber. Are you doing anything celebratory?

Lori, it sounds like a 24 hour bug or maybe food poisoning (?) like Deb says.

Deb, yes, Boyhood received very strong reviews. The premise of the film is to use the same actors over a 15 year period and film them intermittently to see how the boy grows up and changes. The thing is, Linklater is borrowing in some ways from a series of superb documentaries about a group of REAL people in England that are re-visited every 7 years to see how their lives are developing (I think the most recent installment they were in their 50s--7up, 14up, 21up, 28up and so on). Boyhood is scripted, not real, and the writing is, IMO, cringe-worthy much of the time.

I am off to Minnesota tomorrow, so I won't be checking in for awhile.

Hi to Valerie and Judy!

Good evening ladies!

I feel back to myself today. At lunch I did a 40 minute total body Barre and 100 rep bicep challenge. Was planning to workout tonight but ended up having chinese food. :eek:

Happy Birthday Josie! Hope you finally got out of the house to enjoy it.

Lynda have fun at your reunion!

Deb...I replied to the Retin-A. I love it and it has done wonders for my skin. As I mentioned sunscreen is a huge factor.

Hi to Valerie and Judy!

Good morning,

I called our heating/cooling people and at the last minute decided to have them come today to give us an estimate for changing the water heater to one of those tank-less kinds and also to add a A/C unit to our kitchen. Hopefully it won't cost so much and they will be able to get the A/C unit in while it is still hot out.

Happy Birthday Josie! I hope after that plumber left you did something fun to celebrate. :)

Lynda, have a great trip!

Lori, glad you are feeling better....will have to go over to that other thread and get info. There are a ton of them on Amazon, I know the prescription one would be stronger. I don't want to go to the Derm..I may try to get something on line instead.

We may go to lunch after the AC guys leave, we have a gift card left over from Christmas that John has been wanting to use.

Hi to Judy, Valerie,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted this week. Saturday FIL had another bad episode and we spent most of the day and night with him. He is on hospice care now. His dementia is getting worse, along with his breathing. He cannot even stand up on his own but he will try to get up and then collapse. They have alarms set up on his bed and his recliner so if he tries to get up the staff can come in and help him. I feel so sad for DH, it is heartbreaking to see this happen.

I've been working out for an hour or so every morning. Monday and Tuesday I did Spinervals and yesterday I did Core Max 1 and Muscle Endurance. I wore my 15 lb vest for the first half of ME and that made a big difference.

The basement gym project has been cancelled for now. Too much stress with FIL to focus on anything else or work on home projects.

Lori-that does sound like food poisoning. I'm glad you got over it quickly.

Josie-Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!

Hi to Deb, Valerie & Lynda

Judy

We're back and tired. I slept in this morning instead of yoga. we left early yesterday morning, drove to the bike trailhead, did a 30 mile ride. checked out a few nearby areas for car camping, then drove the rest of the way home. the ride was very nice and not difficult at all except for up and down one big hill. almost all in forest next to a state park with lots of mt bike trails besides. we can only carry one set of bikes at a time and we brought road bikes for this. the ride was easier than we expected, must have been gradually uphill much of the way but not enough to notice, so the way back was mostly downhill. very pleasant and worth repeating.

Josie, you are describing my SIL and BIL when you talk about your friend. they are not aging well and are in pathetic shape. this is the SIL who had a knee replacement last year. we took them on a "hike" ... 1 mile, but at 3/4 of a mile there was a shorter way to the top that we took because we didn't think they'd make a mile, and it was flat except the last few yards. limping, out of breath.. does not have to be that way.

Lori... I agree, it sounds like food contamination... lucky it was only a short term issue. Lori, you're 100% spot on... I don't think of myself as an "athlete" but compared to cousin and SIL & BIL ...all three of whom we've been with recently... wow... DH and I are doing pretty well! at least cousin realizes it and is making changes. he lost quite a bit of weight, changed his diet, bought a bike and is determined to get off most of his meds and reverse his T2 diabetes and I think he'll do it! we've encouraged him and feel like he's listened and is following our example.

Lynda, I will make sure that movie does not get on my queue. hate it when I waste that much time on something not worthwhile. I like the idea of following the same people over many years ...seem to be several projects like that. enjoy Minnesota and the reunion.

Judy, so difficult watching someone decline. MIL and FIL went that way with cancer in the last couple years. we had very good luck with hospice care and they were ( we think) comfortable with pain controlled until they passed. I used to think dropping over from a heart or stroke would be awful but it has its good points, not that anyone gets to choose.

Good evening ladies,

Had a Doctors Appt this morning so I slept in a little and worked out for about 40 minutes doing an upper and lower combinations that I made on workout blender. Then tonight I could not wait to get home and try out Cathe's Live Imax. This was about 45 minutes. Great workout day! :)

Judy...sorry to here your Gym is on hold. Completely understandable. You need to take care of family. It is good though that you are still working out. When my mom was sick workoping out really helped me get through the tough times.

Valerie...welcome back! Sounds like a great little trip. I had my annual appt today and just happened to mention by horrific bug and she said there was a nasty bug going around and it sounded like I got it head on. Who knows though. I really think it was something I ate too.

Deb...yes the prescription Retin-a is strong and there is an ajustment period. My face at times felt sunburnt and then would peel. I almost stopped using it but I stuck it out as I knew this would all go away. So glad I did.

Josie...lol on the too much lobster! I just noticed this!!!! Hope you had a great birthday!

Hi to Lynda!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.