Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B: 8/1

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Just trying to get myself psyched up to do a workout, weights on the schedule for today.

Later....

Oh just do it! I did disk 31 yesterday afternoon and it went well. I increased my weight on almost everything.
we want to do a bike ride today but the low level cloud cover (marine layer) is slow to burn off so it will be this afternoon instead of morning. looked at shoes and cleats/pedals yesterday and have deicded on the mountain bike style but I'm having trouble finding my size. several shoes look like they'd work but there must have been a run on size 39 in the area cause everyone is out.

Once you get yourself psyched up could you work on me next. I really sorta want to get started again.

I'll probably have to go with this "cheaper" method. I'm sure if I got real quote on elevator it would be higher. To buy 1 door and hinge for the elevator shaft it is $1850. and of course I need 2 doors. That doesn't include installation. They want it to be fireproof but it is right next to an open staircase that would allow the flames to go right upstairs.

Joan

Ended up doing the Kelley Coffey-Meyer weight workout.

Joan, that sounds like it will be very expensive. Joan, these workouts that I am doing are great because they are only 30 minutes, and in between sets you do 2 minutes of core work....nice to get core and all else done in a short time. No dread factor.

Valerie, are these cleat/shoe things necessary? do you use them just on mountain bikes?

howdy ya'll, ok, i think i answerd deb on the 50's and over thread. LOL! deb, i think you asked me what rotation i was doing? and i'm doing the firm 2010 transformation rotation, it is for the whole year.

anyway, i did kelsie's 500 calorie yesterday , and today burn & shape and traice's 30 m. kickbox.

so, did i miss anyone's questions? i cannot remember from one thread to the next what i was gonna say. :)

i know i have seen a thread that has a rotation using 4-day split to do a px90 rotation. i have done a search and i can't find it. anyone know anything?
thanks

Good morning,

too tired to workout today, I was tossing and turning all night for some reason.

Cathy, did you do a search on the rotation forum? I'll try one too and see if I can find what you are looking for. You mean that there was someone using Cathe's 4Day Split series to do a P90X type rotation? not sure what that all means...?

Did everyone see that Cathe is working on some new DVD's? One of them is an STS total body workout. I would like something like that, but if it is over an hour long, I hope she puts in some shorter pre-mixes.

Take care,

Good morning,

Cathe must have been listening about the low impact high intensity. There are supposed to be premixes for that. I would like the full body also. Actually they all sounded good. Oh no I'm hooked again.

I was down 6/10 of a pound. That's not bad. I thought with eating out twice over the weekend just the water weight would keep me the same.

I did get an hour on the treadmill but no weights yet.

Joan

Last edited:
Oh, the bike shoes aren't as confusing as at first.
there are 2 basic styles. a very stiff flat bottom road shoe that attaches with one style of cleat/pedal, and another style that is called either "spd" or "mtb" that attaches in a similar manner but the attachment is recessed and the shoe is not as stiff. they aren't interchangeable, so you pick one style and get compatible pieces. the spd style is easier to walk on and more comfortable. I will forgo the slight bit of enhancement the very stiff sole provides, not doing the tour de France here. the spd shoe is stiff and better if you stopped to walk around a park, or go into a store or restaurant. (still looking for 39's). the spd style evolved for mountain bikes, because mountain biking usually involves at least some walking, depending on your skill level riding. the shoes work fine with a road bike, just need to get all compatible pieces.

I've ridden for decades wearing tennis shoes and toe baskets, so none of this is necessary but they allow you to get more power & efficiency for the energy expenditure. so we'll give it a try.

We ended up never riding. weather didn't clear and while waiting we got started on a Yardmax project. will try again today.

Hi everyone--

Well, I am nervous about surgery tomorrow, but ready to get it done and move on.

Went to Jacob's Pillow on Saturday and saw CND2, which is a national company in Spain and the younger dancers. Very interesting choreography by Duato and Andre Fabre, who created a piece titled "Insected" which I am sure is a play on "infected." Many quirky, insect-like moves and a lot of humor. The two pieces by Duato were also superb.

Joan, I saw the announcement for Cathe's new DVDs as well, but I have learned my lesson and will not (for the first time, actually) do the presale. I cancelled the Shock Cardio when I saw some of the clips (way, way too much impact). These also sound kind of blah to me because I don't do her lower body stuff, preferring my BBL and P-57 to endless squats and lunges, I don't really like the frenzy of Bootcamp, preferring dance-like stuff, and I have STS, so why do I need a total body STS, and high rep, low weight is okay, but I have three of those type of workouts. It all sounds kind of repetitive of former stuff. So I will wait and read some reviews before thinking about buying.

Deb, say more about KCM. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate them, and how do they compare to Cathe, Chalene, etc.?

Wish me luck on my ailing elbow!

Lynda, best of luck with the elbow procedure. hope it's a breeze and a snap and you're back to as normal as possible ASAP.
Watched a favorite movie last night, Lone Star. Love that movie! It's not new so I assume you've seen it.

I also will not dive in on a pre-order. I'd rather sit back and wait for some reviews to roll in before deciding I need anything new. I'm enjoying STS and feel like I could repeat it endlessly. I also have the GS series, muscle max, power hour, and some high step ones that I seldom use. for cardio I have several cathe disks, KPC, Drillmax, Bootcamp and mostly I bike, hike, ski, or have the treadmill & elliptical. I'm afraid it will be fancy ( or non fancy) step moves which I can't do. I mean, what else could it be?

Did our bike ride this morning 2 hours, about 25 miles. a good ride.

Hi Ladies,

I had to go to a funeral on Saturday, so no wo and on Sunday I went for a run on the beach and ran on the hard sand. I was able to run 3 miles without stopping. I still have my running legs ;) It felt good to run again. I saw my ridding friend when I was on my way to my car and it inspired me to go home and dust my bike. It is now clean and ready to ride.

Garance, I will be praying for you!

I will be back tomorrow. I still have some work to do before I go home.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Josie

you're smart, garance, i so widh i had cancelled. i am so disappointed in shock cardio. i really want to sell them.

thanks, deb, i did do a search and nothing came up, but i know i saw one, i actually printed it. and, yes, it is using 4-day split to do a px90 type rotations.

Garance I will be thinking of you tomorrow and wish you the best of luck.

I did Power Hour today since one of the new ones is an updated version of this.

My dm has been on Nutrisystem for a week and she lost 4lbs. She is thrilled. I had her do 3 squats last week and she was sore the whole week. She even had to take an advil. That is a lot for her. She is so cute. I said I would get her 1 ear of corn for her veg since it is in season now. She didn't want the extra butter since she was doing so well. So no corn. Of course it was me that wanted the corn but I won't eat it in front of her.

I'm tired of broccoli and cauliflower.

Joan

Good morning,

I did the workout called "Lift" from the new DVD's from Kelley Coffey-Myer. A different weight workout, for sure. All compound moves, more functional type rather that standard weight lifting. The only complaint I have is that she never stops for the whole 30 minutes. I have to use the pause button to get water. I cannot go like that without a drink. I like her style, no nonsense, and yes she has a modifer on all her DVD's! LOL.

Garance, I know you won't see this but sending good luck and quick recovery vibes your way today!

Joan, I read on the other forum that the sale is for all 4 DVD's, you can't pick and choose. I probably won't do the presale, which starts August 4th, ( tomorrow!). I didn't see any low impact high intensity, did they describe them bette somewhere? I love corn in season. I eat it without butter and love it! Good job on the weight loss, and your Mom too!

Valerie, I think I would just wear sneakers to ride, those other things seem very confusing and dangerous to me. Especially when Josie mentioned that riders fall with them all the time...

Josie, now that the bike is dusted, you have to get back on it!

Cathy, sell the Shock Cardio, on Amazon or Ebay. I sold one of her series before too, sold them single and got most of my money back because I had done the presale and got them at a lower price.

Time to shower and get ready for another day of fun at work! NOT!

Deb, you're right, according to what I've read most people fall at least once when they switch to clipless pedals. they recommend you practice releasing both feet 50-60 times to develop muscle memory. I'm guessing a lot of people get on and don't bother. so I of course will do it at least 100 times! Toeclips/ toe baskets are less attachment. I've been happy with those and they're a good middle ground. they keep your feet from flying forward off the pedals which can cause a crash. you can ride the bike with your toes in them or not. I always keep mine loose so I slip out easily.

When we did our long mountain bike ride a couple weeks ago, the other couple wore clipless shoes and got much more power out of their pedaling than we were. really, DH and I are in much better shape and we had trouble keeping up. they are 60-ish and said it was easy to get used to the clipless pedals. so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Josie, sometimes you need a break. after all that mileage, it's no surprise. glad to hear the bike is starting to look OK again.

Joan, I'm a real vegie lover. If you cut corn off the cob and saute with onion, red/green bell pepper and zucchini, you get the flavor of the corn without the temptation to dip in butter. a small bit of olive oil is plenty, like a teaspoon or two for a HUGE pan of vegies. You do not need 1/4 cup. mushrooms are good too. as are green beans. even spinach or swiss chard. or tomatoes with fresh basil. DH and I grow a lot of our own vegies but even the store stuff is good now. no reason to stick to just broccoli and cauliflower, though nothing wrong with either of them.

There are so many vegies on this diet. I switch asparagus, green beans, carrots, beets, corn, peas and spinach every day. But for the other servings it seems to be cauliflower, broccoli, salad and tomato.

I have to have my corn on the cob at least twice in the summer and I wouldn't bother without butter. I can work in the calories. Dm just wants to be 100% nutrisystem since it is working.

Today is another laser day. They keep upping the setting so I know it will hurt. Last time was the first time the whole face peeled. I am amazed that my deep wrinkles are at least half as deep. The line from nose to mouth is gone. My dimples are back!! It is definitely worth it to me. He will still need to use the other laser because cheeks are still red.

I am sore. I tried to use STS weight to start and didn't realize the number of slow repetitions. I did lighten up but you can tell I haven't lifted for quite a while.

Joan

Oh good.. I was thinking the only vegies you were eating were broccoli and cauliflower! I love corn on the cob (with butter of course) but I also like it mixed with other vegies and then the butter doesn't seem as important. I tried the Dean Ornish diet once, and I was quite amazed to find out how little flavor food has if there's zero fat to carry the flavor. I was also amazed to find it didn't take much fat to do the job. It seemed like there was a minimum amount needed, and after that more was fine if you could afford the calories, but it didn't make much difference in flavor. at a certain point the opposite happened, too much fat made flavor worse because it was greasy. the foods made with no fat (at all) were awful, nasty, wretched and inedible. blech.

Great that the laser is working. sounds pretty tough though, mine was much much less intense. all I wanted was less redness and I achieved that.

I agree, I buy tons of low fat but don't like no fat. If I do eat anything really fatty I get an upset stomach. It's funny what you get used to.

I'm back from laser and when it burns I'm not sure I can stand it. Not during procedure but after. But all of a sudden it just stops hurting after a half an hour. I have an appt in 6 weeks to do other laser to get redness out.

I've always heard you need at least 4 grams of fat with the meal you take your vitamin so fat soluble vitamins work. With Nutrisystem they say to take serving of fat with dinner (whch has most fat) so you get at least 10g of fat at one time. Supposedly your gallbladder needs it for some reason. Either that or your hair will fall out?? Their website isn't that professional.

Garance Hope all went well.

If you can type in ok we will know it is from you. Take care.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.