Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/27

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

We went out for breakfast this morning, then took the dogs for a walk in our local part, about 1.5 mile ring around a golf course. We have to drive there, although it's only about 1.25 miles from our house, by the time we walked there with the dogs and did the ring around the golf course then walked home, they would not be able to make it. They are out of shape and need to start slowly. They are both crashed right now In the living room. :D. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Valerie, I need to check the zones for those grassy plants, they were so pretty. I bet they need to be in shade right?

Nothing much going on here, may grill some vegetables later for dinner, with chicken or something.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Christi Taylor's Fit to Dance (70:00) and took Max for a 3 mile walk last night after dinner.

Deb, I think it's the blower that is so expensive with the air dancers. I asked DH about it. Sounds like Keegan and Kylee enjoyed their walk. I agree, happy dogs are sleepy after a full day of exercise.

We had a good time at Mark Morris because, once again, the weather was perfect--sunny and about 79 degrees with no humidity to speak of. Today, though, it's sticky out with intermittent rain and it sounds like we will have another day of this before it gets nice again.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend!

Good morning ladies!

Not much going on here. Rainy day and DH is working. The plan is to do a heavy bag workout just not sure which one.

Yesterday was a fun day. I did 36 minutes of Suzanne Bowen's advanced barre. Wow did I feel my legs burn. I was just finishing up when my DS said let's hike the mid state trail today with chester. So off we went. 3 1/2 hous later my legs were like lead. Don't know how you do the hikes you do Valerie! Over 7 hours yesterday? Wow you are my hero!!

Chester did really well. The dosaquin (spelling) has been doing wonders for him along with the arthitis meds. It was a really hard hike....rough trails,steep inclines, ledges you name it. When we arrived at the bottom of a ledge Chester pretty much said really Mom? Lol! We knew we needed to go around. We took breaks when we needed too and there were plenty of streams for chester to drink and lay in to cool off. I brought fresh water for him and a little bowl but he would not drink it. He likes the streams better! Yuck.

Deb...Funny about your Dogs! All the agility they do it is funny they have a hard time with long walks.

I signed on to Suzanne Bowens streaming. Free for 30 days with a code from buying BarreAmped. I forgot about it until I read a post on VF so figured why not. I really like her a lot and she can be tough. I seemed to be really enjoying Barre so we will see how this goes. If you buy a year subscription it works out to $6.66 a month. That I can justify as I think this is pretty reasonable for the amount of workouts she has.

Hi to Lynda, Judy and Josie!

Lori it was so beautiful out it wasn't hard to keep going. it's a gorgeous spot but there were an incredible number of people to share it with. really, way too many. there's a camping area up a little further than we went where people basecamp to climb the peak. we're not climbers so there's no reason to go to the camping area....just a bunch of flat spots in the rocks at the base of a snowfield.

Dogs... yes.. they ignore the bowl of water you poured and drink from the toilet bowl.....

Deb, the way dogs usually "walk" covers about 10x the distance humans do...maybe that's why they both crashed. agility looks like it would be a good doggie workout.

I want to share a really tasty salad I tried today. not a recipe really but so good. chop up about 4 cups of watermelon. add a little chopped red onion or shallot. toss with a little of your favorite vinaigrette. top with crumbled feta cheese and some thinly sliced fresh basil. I love watermelon with salty cheese. so simple and so tasty and colorful too. I had enough basil for this, not enough for pesto yet.

we did a 22 mile ride today. windy so harder than it sounded, but pleasant.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...forest-grass/golden-japanese-forest-grass.htm
this is a link to the forest grass. I grow it in sun, partial sun, shade and it does fine everywhere. it says zones 5-9. we are about a 7. our climate is fairly mild but we do freeze. it dies back in winter. it is not invasive. if it has flowers, I never noticed. Here, it's a carefree plant. even the deer and slugs don't bother it. I like the green and yellow stripe one much more than the plain yellow. it is very easy to propagate. perfect plant!

Last edited:
Good morning,

it's raining here, we really need it.

Did not sleep well last night, it wasn't Sunday Night Syndrome, but I was not resting well. Hence, no workout this morning.

Lynda, yes, those Amazon listings for the less expensive ones are deceiving, you have to read very carefully and know that you have to buy another part, that this Is only the dancer thing, without the blower. Did your DH decide on one? Find a rental place yet?

Lori, glad Chester is doing better and can do his walks again. Agility does not do much for endurance. They run for about a minute, if that, each time.

Valerie, that salad sounds great. I would never think of putting watermelon in a salad. Thanks for the link. I Googled our area and it looks like we are in zone 6a so maybe they would work here. We planted butterfly bushes last year and we didn't think they would last but they came back and one flowered, the other didn't.

Hi to Judy, & Josie,

Work, then late class tonight.

Take care,

I'm a little unsure about recommending plants.... we don't get long cold winters here and some plants seem to need that to perform well. butterfly bushes are considered invasive here though I have one that doesn't spread. we are very wet from nov to april. some plants get fungal diseases, mildew or their roots are too wet for too long. this grass seems to love it and the yellow green color is bright and a nice contrast to all darker greens. I love flowers too, but this is such a great carefree plant that it's become the repeating thread thru my garden.

I love watermelon salads. I've made some with arugula and goat cheese, and also peanuts and cucumber. the colors are lovely too.... pink dark green and white cheese.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did GG, the premix without the ball (55:40). It was raining so hard when I was doing this workout that the volume was way up.

Deb, I don't think DH will do the air dancer because he would have to invent some way to set up the electricity way out in the pasture--or at least that was the most recent update he gave me. He may well change his mind if the hawk is persistent.

Valerie, the salad sounds yummy. We buy a watermelon almost every week because they are so cheap right now, and as DH points out, even if we don't eat all of it, the pigs love watermelon.

Lori, that's great that Chester is enjoying his walks again. We are getting deluged again. I am really tired of these fierce thunderstorms.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. Sunday evening blues! Ugh. I did 32 minutes of Barre this afternoon at lunch but no workout tonight.

Lynda...we had some nasty storms here today. My area just had heavy rain but tornadoes touched down in some areas causing a lot of damage.

Deb...that makes sense then if your dogs are only running for a minute or so. I attached a picture of Chester laying in a stream drinking. He was too funny.

Valerie...there were hardly any people on the trails we did. At one point we felt we were the only ones. When we got to some of the ledges there were a few people rock climbing and having a picnic but that was it. Don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if there was a constant stream of people passing me.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
Not sure why but it will only let me post one picture. Not sure what I am doing wrong....here is another of chester with my son.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi Everyone,

We moved FIL into his new home on Saturday. We spent most of the weekend helping him get settled in. His pulmonary fibrosis has gotten worse and he is not walking anymore. It takes so much out of him to just stand up. almost any movement at all causes him to start hyperventilating. He declined so much in the past month :(

I didn't workout much this weekend but Sunday morning I was able to get in 45 minutes of core work, Core Max, Horizontal Conditioning and Flex Train Abs.
This morning I did a long indoor ride, 27.5 miles in an hour and 40 minutes.

Lori, love the photos! Thanks for sharing.

Valerie-the salad sounds really good! I think I will try it. I eat a lot of salads, but usually the same old thing. I need to try something new.
Great job on the ride! Riding in windy conditions is very challenging.

Hi to Deb, Lynda & Josie

Judy

Good morning,

Slept in today and it felt wonderful! Had a great class last night, but got home late as usual.

Valerie, I will look for those grasses, but most likely it is too late in the season for them to be around.

Lynda, I saw some flying advertising things that do not use a blower, maybe those would work? I can take a pic and post it here.

Lori, love the pics! Especially the one of Chester in the stream, her looks so happy! Are you using photobucket or one of those web sites to post? I use Picturetrail.com hat is the only way I know to get pics here.

Judy, so sorry to hear about your FIL. It is good that he is in a place where he is getting care, If he was home now it would be very scary.

Work, then home to crash,

Take care,

I can never get jpg pics to open on this site. I get the little rotating circle but it goes on and doesn't do anything. so pics are great lori, just small. I'm going to try to open one and just let the computer run for a while. I also will try on the ipad later today. ETA I was clicking twice. they open fine with 1 click. wow. do I feel dumb. Great pics Lori! Chester is a handsome doggie!

If anyone tries the salad... it's best if melon is cold and ingredients are tossed and eaten. it doesn't hold up well sitting... even a little dressing pulls water out of the melon. that's true of all watermelon salads IMO. be careful on onion / shallot unless you're sure you like it. DH picks out even the small amount I add. neither of us are big fans of raw onion.

we did a 30 mile bike ride yesterday. it was getting pretty warm by the time we finished. I think we've ridden over 100 miles in the last week. had to over night some documents and was stunned to find it would cost me $56. but they had to get there so I did it but I had to wait until someone opened at 9 am so we didn't get an early start on the ride. fedex.

Judy riding indoors that long is hard for me to imagine. I guess I need the changing scenery. sorry your FIL is not doing well. that doesn't sound very hopeful declining this quickly.

Last edited:
This morning I did High Step Challenge and extra core work. I love that workout!

We are taking FIL to a new geriatric doctor next week. He looked a little better last night. The staff are really trying to get him to gain weight so he is eating more, with their encouragement. They give him something they call a "magic cup", a drink that is very high calorie and something easy for him to consume. I'm not sure what's in it, probably something like Ensure, but more calories.
DH is not dealing with FIL's decline well at all, he can't sleep and is very stressed out.

At least we don't have to worry about FIL being in his house alone 30 miles away. He is so close and is being well taken care of.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did After Burn (54:00).

Lori, I love the pics. Chester must have a bit of the clown in him like our Maxie. I had a very dignified dog years ago (Husky/Shepherd mix), except for one thing--he loved teething hedgehogs (we called them dragons) and would play endlessly with them. Yep, we certainly had a lot of rain yesterday, but no high winds like north of Boston.

Deb, if you want to post a picture of those things, I will take a look and see if DH is interested. He is so busy now, getting ready for second-cut hay, and this is the height of restaurant season around here, so he is filling a lot of meat orders.

Wow, Judy, that is a long ride. Do you watch TV at the same time? I have High Step Challenge but have not done it in years. Doesn't it have a lot of step-ups? Sorry to hear about FIL and DH. It's been a hard year for both.

Valerie, I make a salad with red onion rings in it, and the directions say to soak the rings in ice water for 30 minutes to take away some of the sharpness. It does seem to work. I have watched the first four episodes of House of Cards. Very film noir, almost black and white with dramatic lighting and night scenes in the first two episodes. Not sure where it's going with Claire's revelations.

Briefly checking back in. Lynda, I do the ice water soaking but DH still picks it out. I agree it helps but I'm still so-so on raw onion. only a very little for me, thank you. I will say that things move along very very quickly in House of Cards. I have trouble following some of the shenanigans and

We finished up True Detective. I enjoyed it. I think they could do similar things with different actors, though the play off between Rust and Marty really fleshed it out so it was interesting characters, rather than just bloody stuff.
we started watching called Blue Bloods , another cop drama on hulu but after a few episodes it didn't grow and seemed pretty simplistic. had Donnie Wahlberg and Tom Selleck. now we're watching a british one called MI5. I ordered a disk for a TV one called Husbands & Wives ( I think) that we may start today.

Good evening ladies!

I slept in this morning. I have come to the realization that I pretty much would rather sleep a little later than workout. Ever since I changed my routine when my DH had surgery I have struggled with it. I am finding I still like my double workouts and doing one at lunch time seems to be working for me.

Tonight was Cathe's Live All About Legs minus the Barre. I did some Barre at lunch. I also followed up tonights workout with 100 rep biceps.

Chester is a character! He is a rather large Lab weighing in at 109lbs. his doctor would like him to be at 100 but we just can't seem to get the scale to move. He has been at this exact weight for most of his life so he is consistent. :eek:

Judy...that was some ride!!! I am curious also if you watch a DVD, read, listen to music? I am so sorry to hear about your FIL's decline. This is so very sad.

Valerie...good job to you also on your mileage this week! I oversee our mailroom department so I am very aware of shipping costs. It is so expensive.

Lynda...High Step Challenge was one of Cathe's on demand that I did a few weeks back. I enjoyed it too. Thought it was fun and really moved along. I do not remember there being a lot of step ups. Maybe some.

Deb...I was sleeping in with you! To add a picture I scroll down from where I am typing my reply and there is a spot to add an image but it will only let me do one at a time. I am sure I am missing something. I have never used photobucket.

Hi to Josie!

Good morning & Happy Hump Day to those of us that have to work!

This week is dragging by. Getting pics on here, ( the larger ones that you can do multiples of) is easy once you get a free subscription to something like www.picturetrail.com. You upload your pics to your folders in the site, then there is a really easy way to copy them here. It is also a nice place to store your on line pictures so if you have a computer crash, they are all in one place and you don't lose them. Of course, I am not that organized. I have some there, but they are only the ones I have loaded there to post. That is what I used to get Josie's ride pictures here.

Valerie, thanks for the hint on the salad. We actually have all the ingredients in the refrigerator right now. I may toss one together for dinner. Maybe even add some grilled chicken. I am with your DH on the raw onions, I always ask them to leave onions out of my salads in restaurants.

Lori, I am surprised with all the exercise Chester gets that he doesn't lose any weight, it must be that he is at the correct weight for him. Keegan should be at around 25 pounds and he is at 30. I don't want to reduce his food any more than I do. He gets what Kylee gets and she is only 20 pounds. She is a lot more active than he is though.

Work, then home to crash. Anyone remember when Josie is coming home?

Take care,

Judy, I like Cathe's High Step workouts, I have the easier one too....I think it's called High Step Circuit. The problem with the older DVD's is no premixes to make them shorter. It is so good that you got FIL in that closer AL place.

Lynda, I had to read about your past dog a couple of times...."teething" hedgehogs...the picture in my mind was strange......using an iPad to post? LOL..I will see if I can get a pic of one of those flying ad things on my way to work today..

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm going to work early today so I will be doing a short workout. I think I'll do a Core Max/Horizontal Conditioning combo, then I'll do another workout tonight.

Valerie-great ride! I wish we could get outside to ride more, but with everything going on, DH just isn't into it this summer and so I do my own rides inside. Maybe if things stabilize with FIL, we can start going back out to Island Lake and get some rides in before summer is over.

Lynda & Lori-for shorter rides I usually do a Spinerval or one of Cathe's spin workouts. If I don't feel like doing a structured workout or if I want to keep riding after one of the workouts, then I usually watch something.

High Step Challenge didn't have too many step ups. I think High Step Training is the one that has 5 or 6 sets of them.

Deb-I'm doing to do High Step Circuit soon. I do love the premixes on the newer DVDs too.

Here's a before photo of the basement now. DH needs to clear out some of his things before I can start setting things up. I have my old spin bike and the STS rack down there already. DH has some old weights and a bench that I might be able to use too, not sure yet. I need to get some more interlocking tiles and a heavy bag.

Hi to Josie,

Judy

Attachments

• Basement Gym-Before.jpg
    Basement Gym-Before.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
I don't know what it is with my computer. sometimes the pics open quickly and other times have to try several times. Judy yes, finally it opened. that will require a little reorganization. we made our gym into a separate room, with windowed doors. keeps down the dust but doesn't feel closed in. we did the work ourselves starting with unfinished basement so that saved a lot.
we have a huge daylight basement. it's always cool. we used to grow a huge number of plant starts, but not so much anymore so much of the space is not used.
our antenna works fine down there without anything additional. usually I'm playing a disk anyway. I went to yoga yesterday morning. later I did bi's and tris, a premix and core 1 plus some knee push ups. if I'm not sore... back to regular length workouts. I seem to be fine this morning. somehow I got out of the habit of upper body workouts . I don't know why I was thinking riding and hiking would cover everything. it doesn't.
I have several of the high step workouts but never used them much. I bought several on some kind of good deal years ago along with the step. I've used the step lots but didn't like the step up moves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.