Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/25

fox2star

Cathlete
Good afternoon,

Today I did the Kelley C-M 30 Minutes to Fitness first workout. Love the ab/core work in this one.

Doing lots of HouseMax too, just got back from the grocery store, bars are in the oven, eggs are boiling, and I made spelt bread this morning. I need a nap!

Joan, agree with Valerie, sleep is what you must need and your body is telling you that.

Valerie, I cannot do all the jumping around in the plyo leg workouts so I skip them and just do the squat rack ones.

Hi to Josie, Cathy, and Garance if you are home..

Take care,

Good afternoon,

I can't believe I slept for 8 hours last night after all the sleep yesterday.

I have gone back to nutrisystem. We aren't able to get the fresh food delivered for my mother anymore. We share the nutrisystem. I get one month and then she gets one month. That way you don't get too tired of it. She usually eats it straight through her month then a month off. I ususally do it every other week or sometimes every other day.

Since my mother can only eat about 1000 calories it is easier with a "program".

No wo yet. I feel like another nap.

Monday

Good morning,

Hey, everybody keeps responding on last week's thread!! Cut it out, your confusing me!! :D

I started the second week of the Couch to 5K workouts today. At least I know I can keep these up when we are in California in a couple of weeks. The hotel we stay at has an "ok" gym with a treadmill and an eliptical. I think they have some weights too, but it is very tiny.

Just got back from walking the dogs, it is a lot cooler today, thank goodness for that.

Cathy, congratulations on your upcoming Grandchild!

Joan, feeling any better today?

Hi to Valerie, & the vacationing Garance.

Good morning,

Deb I'm still tired but cough and sore throat seem to be gone.

No matter what I need to get a wo in today.

Official weigh in 168.8lb on new scale. That is down 1.8lb in a week or 7.2lb in 9 weeks. If I only hadn't let vacation get me down.

Joan

Cathy you make a good point in your last post. eating out is difficult cause it's usually more calories than you think, and it's best to jump on it right away with a couple pound increase, rather than let it creep upward. and eating with someone who is intentionally gaining would be hard for me.

Didn't do much yesterday, pretty warm. too warm for hiking. some Yardmax but nothign extreme. It's a sometimes summer pattern where it gets hotter as you go up. we had a high of about 80 but mountain passes were upper 80's to low 90's and that's just awful. hiking is hard to begin with, and the sun is more intense, and the flies and mosquitos go ballistic. so we're biking again today. great weather for biking.

Tuesday

Good morning,

I think we have a couple of posts going on now..so if you thought you posted and you cannot see it here, look for the other one! :D

Today I did the 2nd KC-m weight workout. I like that she does 2 minutes of ab/core work between sets, and the stuff she does is pretty good. Not your normal 1000 crunches.

Joan, losing almost 2 pounds in a week is great! You don't want to lose more than that, it just doesn't stay off if you do.

Valerie, how was the bike ride?

Cathy, I know what you mean about eating out...we sometimes do, on weekends, twice a day and it is not good. Not even the money part, but the calories.!

Garance, are you back yet?

Take care,

Very nice ride yesterday. we have an old book called "Riding the Backroads" that has routes mapped out with directions and mileages. It was written probably 30 years ago( no updated version) and some roads aren't exactly 'back roads" anymore. we did about 33 miles with some hills. Mostly nice but so many people ride here that we're no big deal to drivers anymore and they don't always give much space.
they think you can ride on the shoulder but road shoulders "come and go" and ALL the road debris and trash ends up there where it gets blown by vehicles. if you ride the shoulder without moving onto the roadway when necessary you will have a flat every half hour. especially broken glass gets blown there. Josie, would you agree? we're careful about staying single file and staying as far right as possible but sometimes you need to take a chunk of the lane.

Anyway it was a nice ride and took us 3 hours. a head wind ,traffic, lights, stop signs and stopping to read a map. requires more stops than a pedestrian trail. but still a great workout. there's something about a couple hours of moderate pace that helps with endurance and weight loss. Upper body and yoga today, I forget which disk I'm on.

DH and I seldom eat out. I used to have a job requiring a lot of eating out, always with men who ate everything in sight. It was hard, from the restaurants the group picked, to watching 5-6 guys devour steaks, pasta, burgers, fries, shakes and dessert every meal because someone else was paying for it. I stuck to salads-no-dressing kinds of things because in a restaurant, sometimes that's the choice unless I wanted to gain 5 lbs a week. I can do much better at home and don't worry about ingredients used because I MADE IT and I don't cook with junk.

Joan , what can you say about Nutrisystem, the food etc. I've never heard details about the food. what does your husband eat if you're using it? I can't imagine the war I'd have here if I tried to put DH on Nutrisystem, and I can't imagine cooking separate meals for each of us. We were vegetarian for years but lately have been adding back boneless skinless chicken and fish. It seems to make losing weight easier. maybe because a small piece of fish is less caloric than a small piece of lasagne?

Hi everyone--

I fractured the radial cup on my right elbow the last night of vacation and am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday to have it replaced. I cannot type very well with one hand, so I won't be checking in for awhile. I fell and broke my fall by raising my right arm--apparently a common gesture. I will be reading the thread--so carry on!

Hi Ladies,

I only worked out on Saturday. I have not been able to get back on my bike. It is still parked on the same spot I left it when I got back from the trip. I spoke to one of my friends that said that when she did the ALC ride the first time, it took her 3 months to get back on the saddle.

Garance, what a terrible thing to happen at the end of your vacation! I hope that your surgery goes well.

Deb, where in California are you going to be at,

Cathy, when is the new grandchild expected?

Valerie, I agree with you completely!

Josie

Oh Lynda.. so sorry to hear. I will need to look up that elbow part, not familiar with it. best of luck typing (now) and with the surgery.
Is this a "cast needed after" type procedure?
I'll bet you're right handed too! double bummer!
well, check in and follow along with us and work for a speedy recovery.

Josie, that's one reason DH and I have been keeping our rides shorter and more frequent. We're enjoying this season riding and don't want to get tired of it. I've thought about much longer rides but have never signed up. so far we haven't had any flats, accidents, or close calls with drivers. we lost enthusiasm a number of years ago after a series of close calls, 100% drivers' fault, and hung up our bikes for years.

Garance all I could think was ouch. I hope you are not in too much pain. I'm glad it was at least at the end of the vacation.

Valerie I always cooked for the three of us but my mother likes to eat about 5pm and dh gets home after 6pm. When we got the Seattle Sutton, you just heated it up and dh and dm shared that so I only had to fend for myself. With the Nutrisystem food you need to add vegetables and salad so I just add the meat or pasta or fish for dh.

I wouldn't put dh on Nutrisystem. Lunches and dinners aren't that great. I do like their fake hamb. I buy at least 18 of the 28 meals of hamb. because we all like them. We have them about once a week and most of the time I am eating dinner with dh and our food. It's just breakfast, lunch and snack that makes the food handy. My mother likes anything so she likes a lot of the food. It probably isn't that healthy with all the soy they have in it but you really don't get hungry.

hey ya'll, today i did the firm's total muscle shaping w/stephanie. total body AWT. upper body intense.

my computer is being very weird. don't know if this is gonna post or not.
ok, i'm confused. i thought i started this thread yesterday, but i don't see my post/ did i woverlook an existing one again? i looked for one and did see one.

Wednesday

Good morning,

Today I did Week 2, workout 2 from the Couch to 5K workouts. This week has you jogging for 90 seconds, walking 2 minutes etc for 30 minutes. Still hot and humid here, it's supposed to cool off for a couple of days, then get real hot again for the weekend. We will be going to California ( Los Gatos) on Thursday Aug 5th.

Valerie, your rides sound like day trips to me! It would take me all day to go out and get back.

Garance, OUCHIE! that stinks. How did you fall? If you can't type, don't answer! So I keep asking questions, is the surgery out patient type? Don't answer! LOL :rolleyes:

Josie, I am sure you will get back on your bike soon. I can understand why it would take a while. When we moved here, 26 years ago, I hung my bike up on a hook off the ceiling of the garage and it has not been down since. I keep telling DH that we should start bike riding again. I think the longest ride we did was 30 miles, total. We will be in Los Gatos, Ca.

Cathy, yep, there was a thread, then you started one, and some posted on last week's, very confusing, but we are all ok now! :D

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I did my weight training plus cardio last night. I night go spinning tonight depending on how I feel once I get home at 6:00PM. I was so tired last Friday from working the extra 10 hours per week. It is going to take a while for me to get used to working full time.

Deb, I was hoping that you would be near me so that we could meet for lunch or dinner while you are in California.

I will be back later; I have a meeting to go to.

Josie

Deb ,if your bikes haven't been ridden in 26 years, you'll need to trade them in. ours were hung up for maybe 10 years and nothing worked anymore, and the rubber parts had melted/disintegrated. they weren't new then so it was much cheaper to trade them in than fix them and new ones were surprisingly inexpensive for what we wanted. functional but not Lance level! the technology on new bikes is so much better, you'd be amazed at how much nicer they are now, with shifting and brakes etc. I am enjoying riding and it's a fantastic way to get in a couple hours of cardio. we stopped at a bike shop today looking for clipless shoes. expensive little buggers! shoes, cleats, pedals. didn't decide yet. Josie, any advice on these?

Lynda, that's not rotator cuff , is it? that's a muscle tear not a fracture so you probably have something else that I hope is less complicated. just get it fixed and tell us about it after.

Joan, what is seattle sutton? and fake hamb? is it some sort of fake ham/pork? or fake lamb? something made from soy protein? I like tofu and tempeh but that's about it for soy stuff for me. I don't like TVP and other fake meat. I actually don't care much for meat but white meat chicken and fish are Ok. I eat a lot of vegies. I'm eating a simple salad made with quinoa ( grain) for lunch and enjoying it. Quinoa is a grain with complete protein so it makes a good low cal filling lunch. or side with dinner.

Cathy, you've probably said but I don't remember. do you do any of cathe's workouts or mostly the firm?
I did disk 30 yesterday and this morning we did a hike. probably 4 miles. it was very warm, humid and buggy so we did a shorter one than planned. still a decent workout with 1500 feet elevation gain. a team of firefighters were going up the trail as we were coming down, as a conditioner. It's almost forest fire season.

Valerie,

I only have the clips on my bike, so I can not give you any advice, but for the kind or riding that you do I would prefer the clippies.

Josie

Thursday

Good morning all,

No workout today, I tried to sleep a little. I still got up at 5:00. :(

Josie, I wish I was going somewhere near you so we could meet, but I think it is way too far.

Valerie, I wouldn't even begin to know what kind of bike to get if we decided to replace ours. DH has had his out a few times, he replaced tires I think and that was all he had to do. Mine is a Raleigh (sp) made in England. A very thin tire, racing type, regular 10 speed, You are right though, they must have come a long way with the gears etc. I hated trying to shift and would just put it in one gear and stay there. I saw a few years ago that they had an automatic shift bike...now that is something I could get into! LOL..:). What exactly to you have? Do you have 2 ? A mountain bike and a regular one? We have a bike path out on the University campus grounds, that is 5 miles one way. It is really pretty, has wooden bridges, goes through wooded areas. I like it because there is no traffic, but there are people walking, roller blading, etc We had 2 memorial trees planted there in memory of my Mom and DH's Dad.

Garance, hope you are not in a lot of pain. :(

Take care,

Deb, see how good I am at spending other people's money? there are many kinds of bikes now, something for everyone. DH and I have 2 bikes each, road & mt bike. We bought the road bikes when we decided we wanted to start riding again and we brought in our old bikes for a major tune up. the shop person said it very expensive to get them ride-able and looking at new ones made more sense. We bought Trek road bikes. they were each $500-600 including seats we liked, toe clips, bottle cages. I have a short torso so I like "cheater" brake levers and he included those too.

Our old bikes were hard to shift, new ones work smoothly and don't get jammed up all the time. more gears but easy. brakes are much better too. Our bikes have very skinny tires, dropped bars but there are many other choices if that's not the kind of riding you want to do. there's lots of choices in between road bikes and mt bikes. slightly wider tires make them more stable on rougher surfaces. tell the shop what kind of places you want to ride and they'll point you at the right kind of bike.

Clipless pedals are the next step. looked yesterday, no shoes fit. For those of you that don't ride a lot, "clipless" pedals attach the very stiff shoe to the pedal with a cleat, a strong connection. it improves your efficiency, reduces fatigue. there are several types and brands. I need to find a shoe I can wear first. and then I will fall over when I try to disconnect the shoe.
Josie, did you fall much before getting used to the pedals?

Hi again--

I am getting back a lot of rom, but I still think my orthopedic surgeon is right about the best outcome being a radial head replacement. The elbow is a tricky area I have learned, and I guess I will be doing a lot of pt after surgery next Tuesday.

I fell on the last night of vacation--just tripped over sidewalk pavement while looking up at the stars--and broke my fall by raising my right arm in front of me. Apparently, this is not an uncommon injury, although the variety of recs on treatment seem to vary widely. I was put in a splint for a couple days when I went to the er (which drove me crazy with the itching!), but my surgeon said that it wasn't doing me any good, and just put it in a sling after a ct scan showed multiple fragments. Sometimes they try to piece the whole thing back together like humpty-dumpty, but he thinks a total replacement followed immediately by movement offers the best resolution.

Hope that answers everyone's questions! Only a bit of pain now, and I do plan on going to Jacob's Pillow this weekend. I won't start any exercise until after the operation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.