Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/13

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Trying to get some enthusiasm to do a workout. Maybe a short KCM.

Judy, that place looks like a lot of fun. Glad you are moving forward and will not have to take care of FIL's house etc. Any news on his move to the closer facility?

Valerie, I read that article you posted, but couldn't find anything saying the writer had a Rimowa bag. It sounds like you are getting closer to having the antenna/cable/modem thing sorted out. We also bought a new modem and thought we were going to turn the one that the cable company provided to then, so we would not be charged the monthly rental fee. But if you get your phone service from them, they said we have to keep theirs, but since we got the other one ( now have to have 2 like you mentioned) we would not get charged the rental fee. Huh? Made no sense to me, but we did it, and they took the fee off of our bill. :rolleyes:

Hi to Josie, Lynda, and Lori,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday I did a Dreambody workout followed up with a some of Peak Fit Strength. Chester was feeling good so we went for a walk and swim.

Deb...Peak Fit (meant to answer you before) is a set of DVD's from Michelle Dozois. These are the only workouts I have done from her and I like her style alot. She is tough but doable and I do not feel wiped when done. Dreambody on the other hand wipes me. I ended up only doing about 20 mins of the strength afterwards.

Judy...the art in the park looked like it was a fun time. Hope you enjoyed yourself. You will love your home gym once it is set up. It will be worth the wait.

Valerie...it does sound like you are close with everything working. We need to really do something about our cable bill. My DH and I talk about it all the time yet have not acted at all. One of these day we will just do it.

Today I plan on a heavy bag workout and walk chester if he is up to it. DS had plans this weeked so my fence will need to wait. So this afternoon DH and I plan to relax at the local Inn pool that we by an annual pass too. This beats installing a fence!

Have a great day all! Hi to Lynda and Josie!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Christi Taylor's Dance to be Fit (70:00).

Very pleasant weekend with my DS. He did some gardening for me in between his golf games, lunch with his younger cousin who doesn't have a job, and helping DH down at the farmer's market. Yesterday was beautiful, but it's getting ready to rain again. Blech!

Lori, I looked at Michele Dozois' Body 360 after seeing some reviews at Videofitness that said it was low impact. Still looks a little too tough for me. Her other stuff is all high impact--or so I have read--so I never wanted to try them. Sounds like Chester is doing okay, even without his new meds.

Valerie, hope your issues with computers, streaming, modems, etc. resolve themselves soon.

Hi to Deb and Judy!

Deb I didn't find the exact article that I'd read in the local paper. the one I posted was written by the same guy about the same topic ... in the local newspaper version he went on about his beloved RIMOVA bag and how their product line didn't include any 14 inch bags. very shiny metallic bags. very pretty but I'm happy with my $89 Kirkland bag.

I don't know why we need 2 modems except that I guess one is phone, and the other must be for internet.... so yes, "HUH?" we still might get a better router. the tech thought we were renting ours but I don't remember .... not listed on our bill. all the men were delving into the streaming business but I was chatting with the women and children and missed it. I'm satisfied it's plenty good enough for me and we will just experiment with different streaming services to find the best deal for us.

my bag is the heavy duty ballistic fabric one, black like almost every other one out there. I wrap the handle with bright pink surveyor tape so it looks different from the other umpty-dozen black carry-ons that end up side by side. I don't have spinner wheels but it's a nice bag and I won't replace it unless forced.

Did a ride today about 25 miles. very nice, a regular road ride. the roadway is a lot bumpier than our usual trail ride and my hands feet totally beat up!

Our lunch/dinner thing yesterday went well and we had a pleasant afternoon and early evening. some lady showed up at our doorstep in the midst of all this and said she was house sitting next door and locked herself out. I was suspicious but with 6 adults there, I let her in to use our phone and phone book. she said she was the sister of the lady who lived next door but we've never seen this neighbor. we have met the man on numerous occasions, and their son. the son had gone to play with friends and she didn't know which house and was looking for him because he had the key. we are all on 5 acres so houses are a hike not a few steps. plus she had no shoes on. anyway, all ended OK. she reached some people who had a key, I gave her some old flip flops, and it all ended well. I was afraid of getting scammed in some way. guess I read the paper too much. I can be too gullible but I also don't want to be a jerk who turns my back on someone who is genuinely in need of help.

Good morning all,

Today I did Sprint 8 and Burn Sets Shoulders. 34 minutes total.

Lori, did you get the Peak Fit workouts from Collage? or maybe she has her own site? I saw the strength workout 1 on YouTube, they look pretty good...how long are they? (sorry for all the questions!). Glad Chester is feeling better.

Lynda, We have had rain off and on all weekend. Made it hard to plan anything outside, but great that we didn't have to water anything.

Valerie, I guess I need to go measure my bags, and hopefully they will fit. I know I will have to check the one for my next trip ( October- DC) so no surprise for that one. The guys that go, however, mostly carry on and they will be upset if they are turned away at the gate. I will have to give them a heads up...we are flying US Air.

Hi to Judy & Josie,

Work, then late class tonight.

Take care,

Deb in the article he mentioned American, Delta, United, and unfortunately US Airways. he guesses it has something to do with the United /US Air merger. It's the only place I've read about this issue... I would check the US Airways policies online and see if anything has changed.. I know I'd be seriously ticked off if I had to check my carry-on. there will be plenty of people complaining if this is being aggressively enforced.

we did a ride yesterday, a regular road ride about 25 miles. we haven't done this one in a while and it was a nice change from our usual trail ride. the only difference is the road surface is rougher and we both get numb hands from the constant vibration.

Hi Ladies,

Went spinning and body pump on Saturday and hardcore on Sunday. Today I will be going to CXWorx and bodyflow. I will be taking my I-pad so that I can do some of the insanity workouts while I'm away. My DH is not a morning person, so while he sleeps I will be going to the gym and having my coffee and reading the local paper :)

I checked the weather for Madrid and you are right Garance. It is hot, but it's a dry heat. Barcelona is cooler but the humidity is high, but we will be close to the beach. I hate packing :(.

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did GG, premix with no ball (55:40).

Very HHH here today, but the weather people keep saying to expect some Arctic air.

Josie, is CXWORX a crosstrain style workout? What is Bodyflow? I loved Barcelona--Gaudi's architecture is so fantastic. I bet you have a great time. Must go to a flamenco bar in Madrid!

Nice that you could help that woman, Valerie. I did my good deed on July 1 when I had my car inspected. The fee jumped from 29 to 35 dollars on July 1, and this poor woman who couldn't come the day before, even though she had a June sticker, because she didn't have the money to pay for inspection, was really upset--she only had 29 dollars with her. So I gave her the 6 dollars to get the car inspected. If she had been stopped with her June sticker, she would have paid a fine as well. I'm glad she passed, because it was a really old car.

I received my new exercise tubing today. Wonder how long it will last.

Lynda that was one of those "pay it forward" situations. that is so sad..I can't imagine having so little spare cash that I'd show up with the exact $ amount and nothing extra.

I haven't seen the "neighbor" woman since. I think the boy next door is developmentally disabled to some degree but I haven't seen him in years so would have no idea where he'd go to play. but he had the key. our driveway is very rough gravel and she walked down it barefoot... ouch. I hope all worked out OK but I'll probably never hear any more about it.

Josie I hope you have a lovely time in Spain.

Good evening ladies!

Today is my rest day. Tossed and turned last night which is routine for me on a Sunday.

Deb...I bought the peak fit from some web site for 50% off. For the life of me I can't remeber what the site was. The cardio is high impact but she does have a moderator. I find her weight workouts are good but not as hard as Cathe's. I like her personality..very upbeat.

Lynda..that was so nice of you to pay it forward. I have had my tubing for a couple years now and so far so good.

Valerie...very nice to help that woman out. You are right to be suspicious now a days. So scary out there. If I had adults in the house I would have done the same thing. Cute you gave her flip flops!

Josie...I put T25 on my Ipad last year when I vacationed. Worked out well.

Hi to Judy!!!

Have a great night ladies!!!

Hi Everyone,

We had a wonderful time at the art show on Saturday! The weather was perfect. It was great exercise walking there and back too, probably got 5 or 6 miles total in. We went to Dunham's afterwards and looked at exercise equipment. I think we are going to get a heavy bag for the basement. I can't wait to be able to do Cathe's kickboxing workouts with a bag.

Sunday ended up being a rest day. This morning I did XTrain Ride. Tonight I am going to do a segment of Core Max and something from Ab Hits so I can get 30-40 minutes of core work in.

FIL is in the hospital until tomorrow. We went to visit him yesterday morning, hoping to get him out for a walk. As soon as we got there, he started complaining of a "chest ache". We got a nurse to come in and talk to him, check his bp etc. Everyone thought it was best to call EMS and have him go to the ER. After spending over 4 hours getting checked out, FIL was admitted to the hospital. His heart was ok, (he does have CHF but we knew that) but he has been losing weight and his breathing is worse. DH and SIL are trying to speed up the moving process to get him moved closer to us. He is so frail, nothing but skin and bones. Between falling and saying his chest hurts, I have a feeling that ER visits are going to be a regular thing for FIL now. :(

Josie-I think I would love Spain! I always follow the Vuelta in September and the weather sounds perfect to me. Hot and sunny!

Lynda & Valerie-very nice of you to help those people out.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

God morning,

Late night last night and then nothing like waking up to a dog puking, to start the day. Lovely.

Valerie, what really irks me on the luggage thing is that they never enforced the size rule with the carry on bags and now they are making them smaller...for what? If they would have enforced the size in the first place, they wouldn't have to reduce it, and not sure what that will do anyway.

Josie, rule of thumb when packing for vacation, take out everything you think you need, then put 50% of it back LOL :). Have a great trip!

Lynda, that was so nice of you to do for that woman. I bet she was surprised that someone would do that.

Lori, Sunday Night Syndrome...ugh... I went over to the MD's site and saw some of the clips. The weight work looks good. Is there an individual DVD for weights that you particularly like? are they total body workouts? Premixes? I was thinking maybe looking for an individual one on Ebay or maybe I should really just stop buying workouts! LOL.

Judy, I hope your FIL is better today and that you can move him soon. Does he keep his oxygen on all the time? Your talk on the basement workout area makes me want to redo mine. It's really a mess. Too much stuff all over.

Work, then tonight we have another roof guy coming over for an estimate. That will be 3 and we really need to pick one and get it done.

Take care,

We did a few hours of garden work then met a friend for lunch. wow, another loud restaurant. I'm so surprised when places are so incredibly loud. could not wait to get out of there. stopped at Best Buy to buy a new router. we're pretty sure the old router is the issue. will maybe set it up today.

My office is upstairs and is the main internet cable entry point. we did it 20+ years ago because DH wanted the downstairs office. I got the upstairs one by default. had the internet connection upstairs because of a separate office phone, fax, and the computer up there. would be much better if we'd done it the other way around, ad made the main access downstairs as the signals travel up.

the main issue is he can't use my keyboard ( fine with me) because all the letters are worn off. the only letters visible are less used ones QZXFJKVB. all the others are gone. he can't type if he can't see the letters. so funny!! I have no idea why this happens. must be at least keyboard #10... happens to all of them. I used to buy "stick on" letters to replace the worn ones. I don't bother anymore but it makes it unusable for him. so I need to be here to keyboard for the set up. so funny!

anyway, we will do a road ride this morning and then do the set up this afternoon.

Judy sounds like he's not doing well. one thing about COPD is that as lung function worsens every breath takes more muscle use and with every breath taking more work, it becomes a big calorie burn. You and DH should know what kinds of interventions you will do or not do.

So sorry Deb, dogs are not subdued when it comes time to puke. they really get into it!
I think you will start hearing feedback if the carry on size rule is causing problems. business travelers are the last group airlines want to tick off. I just know almost every air traveler has a roll aboard and they were manufactured to meet airline size criteria. it is unfair to change those numbers arbitrarily. sort of fits though with the idea that you'll need to power up electronic devices before boarding... will you need to throw the device away if it's battery is dead?

Last edited:

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (58:44).

Deb, Max puked Sunday morning, and according to DH it was probably because he ate groundhog guts because DH found a dead groundhog later with its belly slit open. He is such a little hunter, going after chipmunks and voles most of the time, which he doesn't eat, thank goodness. He treats them more like a cat would--as a prize to be delivered to DH's feet. I guess groundhog guts are tastier.

Judy, that must be hard watching your FIL gradually fail that way. Do you think your DH will do more working out at home if you have a fully-equipped exercise room? I just remember you saying that he liked the gym.

I went to see Snowpiercer yesterday. It was #1 on EW's Mustlist and it happened to be at our local art theater. DON'T GO SEE IT! It should be on a must not list. What a waste of time (over 2 hours, much of it dark and plodding). Just a lot of stupid violence and not-to-be-believed post-apocalyptic global warming nonsense.

Very HHH here today. I can't wait for some Arctic air.

Hi Everyone,

I'll have to take some photos of the basement. I should take one now before we start and then when it's finished.

Deb-he doesn't use his oxygen like he should due to his dementia and the staff where he is now aren't really helping him much. That's another reason we want to move him. The facility where he is now was bought out right after he moved in and they have been changing staff and it seems like they are doing less for the residents. It looks like we will be moving him next week.

Valerie-he isn't doing well. He has lost weight and is very weak. I think his lungs are getting worse. I feel so bad for DH and SIL. They thought that going into assisted living would give FIL a new lease on life and that he would love
socializing and having all his meals prepared for him. Instead he stays in his room and refuses to eat. Very sad.

Lynda-I wish DH would want to work out at home, but I doubt that he will. If we get a rowing machine he might do that for winter cardio but he prefers lifting at a gym. I'd love to get him to try an STS workout. I think he would like it and get hooked if he did.

Hi to Josie & Lori!

Judy

Good evening ladies...

This morning was ruthless fast slow burn and tonight was Peak Fit cardio interval burn. Had 5 segments but I was tired so only did the first 4. Still ended up being close to 45 minutes.

Deb...perhaps Ebay would have them individually. They were sold as a set a couple years ago. No premixes or chapters which kind of stinks but I still like them. So far I have only done the one strength. I'll let you know about the others as I do them. She does sell the Peak 10 individually. Same style as the fit and were made as add ons. These I am told have chapters and I think premixes.

Judy...i would love my DH to work out to STS. I have have said the same thing that he should at least try! But nope. I think it is a man thing. As much as I miss my DS I am so happy to have the basement back for my gym. You will love it.

Lynda...good to know about Snowpiercer. Funny about Max's taste in critters! The only thing Chester eats is frozen poop in the winter. So gross. We call it his poopsicles. He is 9 years old and still does this. I pretty much wear my hair up 100% of the time with all the humidity

Valerie...I am with Deb about the carryon change. I am really annoyed with this. I agree that if the rules were enforced there would not be an issue now. So ridiculous.

Hi to Josie!

Good morning & Happy Hump Day to those that are not retired!

Today I did Sprint 8 on the treadmill and Burn Sets Biceps.

We got our last roof estimate, from a friend of my cousin. This is the one we are going with. He was $10k less than the other 2, and we believe we can trust him. My cousin vouches for him 100% and he wouldn't do that if the guy was not good. I guess we'll see. It will be about 5 weeks before he can start the job.

Valerie, hope the router solves your dilemma, and you are ready to go. Does this mean you will cut out all cable TV service?

Lynda, groundhog guts? ewwww..!! I guess you get used to that in the country. One of my past dogs got a dead baby bird one time and would not drop it....I was having a fit. That is the extent of "Dogs in the Wild" for me. LOL.

Judy, yes! take before and after pics and post here.

Lori, yep, hair has been up for me since Monday, with this humidity. Thanks for the info on the Peak workouts, I think I will pass. I do not need more workouts! Chester and poopsicles...gotta love those dogs! LOL. We must or we wouldn't put up with half the stuff we do right? Did you start him on the new supplement that Lynda recommended?

Josie, have a great trip!

Work, then home to crash

Take care,

Question: has anyone watched Six Feet Under from the beginning? I need to start a new series on Prime...I watched the first show from this last night...It is strange, but looks like it could be interesting.

Deb, 6 feet under..I watched the whole thing. I think DH and I started it once and I didn't like something about the first couple episodes, so we quit but went back later and picked it back up again. IMO it gets better as it goes. they develop some very distinctive characters that seem very human.... with a lot of side stories, mostly connected to the family business in some way. I recommend it highly. I don't remember what I didn't like at first...that was so long ago... maybe it was just the funeral parlor theme?

yesterday was rough but we got the router up and running. yes, we're about ready to cut the cable. DH has a the last billing statement so I'm not sure how far we are paid but it must be the next week or two at most. we've gone almost 2 weeks and haven't used the cable at all and have not missed it. eventually if I need it I will get another apple TV box for the downstairs TV where I usually use cathe DVDs but also watched some TV. it's a very old TV plus VCR, DVD player so we will deal with that later as we see what we need. Basement workout rooms are the BEST... you will love it Judy. always cool and comfortable.

went to yoga, and then did the router. by the time that got done it was later but we tried to do a ride anyway. only about 8 miles. too hot. was about 85 and neither of us can exercise in extreme heat like that. we picked the shadiest route but it was just too hot.

yes dogs...just when you think they're almost human they do something like eat poop or ground hog guts and you realize that it can't possibly matter what their dog food tastes like! our dobie would eat poop given a chance, especially cow flops. It must taste good them... none of these dogs are starving.

Snowpiercer does not sound like I'd pick it but thanks for the warning.

This morning I did XTrain bis and tris (45:34).

I think the rain might finally be over for a few days, and they think the HHH will subside. One can only hope.

Deb, I never tried 6 Feet Under. I do remember it being a very popular show with enough seasons to keep you busy. I know I mentioned Orphan Black, but that is only one season for free. I know it might sound a bit odd, but it was really good in the thriller/mystery mold. I'm still watching The West Wing--just started season 4. The acting is so good and I love the characters.

Well, I managed to get past the presale date yesterday with no regrets. I just don't think I will want all of these.

Gosh, Judy, I hope in the new facility your dear FIL gets more help. Refusing to eat is pretty serious.

My DH never does a workout because he is working so hard all day. He is rail-thin even though he eats a ton, and he is strong enough to lift--or heft--100 lb. feed bags and 40 lb. hay bales, but does not look "built." More wiry I guess--like a lot of farmers.

Valerie, you might like Nonstop with Liam Neeson. DH enjoyed it a lot, so I might keep the dvd from Netflix and try it.

Hi to Lori and Josie!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.