Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/11

fox2star

Cathlete
Morning all,

Getting ready for the drive to Hamlin. It is wonderfully cool right now, hope it stays this way. My cranbery bars are done, gotta get stuff ready for the trip. I heard it poured there all day Friday, I hope its dried out by now, or worst case, people trampled in the mud all day Friday and yesterday and we will be in a mess. Ugh..

Cathy, I looked all over Collage for that Firm that you mentioned ( being somewhat like slow & heavy) but could not find it.

Joan, now I am confused about the forum being down. SNM even mentioned it over on the Open forum and others said they were glad they had their workout cards printed, it sure sounded like it would be in a few days. Is it July or August?

I may just get a cardio workout in before we leave, not really up to an STS workout, and DH is getting nervous and pacing around about the show/trial etc. He is concerned we won't get going on time..:rolleyes:

Have a great day!

Deb it is July 13 & 14 but I looked at August calendar where 13th was a Friday. My only excuse was that it is a lttle calendar near my computer with all months in a row.

At least I do have wo cards if I can ever make myself do sts.

Yesterday I was finally able to keep calories low. Today I have planned lower calories so I hope that works.

Joan

Hi Deb, Joan, and any later posters--

This morning I did STS disk 31 for chest and back (63 min.).

Yesterday we did get some much-needed rain--almost 2 inches--but the humidity was over 90 %! I have not had a good hair day in weeks, and this week looks steamy too. Oh well--let it frazzle up.

We went to see "The Kids Are All Right" last night. I enjoyed it (often very, very funny and great acting), but I wonder how my lesbian friends will feel about it--especially a couple who have a son by a sperm donor, the son now in the teen years. Also a bit shaky on that old canard about lesbians just never finding the so-called "right man." Not so.

Hope all goes well, Deb, at the dog show and Keegan is spot-on and brilliant as the Brits like to say.

Maybe, Cathy, after I finish this STS rotation I will bring out some of my old VHS Firms. I always liked Jen Carman and have one she leads most of called (scratches head) Super Sculpt? They all seem so "glamorous" compared to the crews on other fitness instructors' sites.

The dreaded tenure files have now reached my mailbox and I have several days of reading ahead. Blech!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Well we are back and Keegan qualified and got his first "leg" towards his Rally Novice title. It wasn't pretty, but he did it! It was hot, and they had to be right in the open sun. He was not peppy and lagged a lot. Anyway, a good time all around. :D

deb, it is called "Total Sculpt + abs" . jen carman is the instructor.
and, i think i really messed up , i think i started another thread for this week, didn't see this one. i'll go look.:)

ok, i'm dumb, i missed this thread and started another one, but here is what i posted.
oh and also , deb, jen has another one called "Body Sculpt" which is part of the BSS1 and it is really tough. jen was a tough instructor.

garance, yes there is a super sculpt. i am pretty sure it is a compilation of other ones, cuz it has different segments w/several instructors, jen, nancy, um can't remember who else. it's pretty hard.

ok, i just did BBBB, and REACH FURTHER/FArther, whatever it is.
man, oh man, i ma fried!!!!!
tracie, you hit the nail on the head a the begining of reach farther. IT IS NOT EASY!!!!!!!!!!!! i was thinking i'd have a nice litter stretch after BBBB. WRONG!!!!! super duper workout. why i thought that i have not idea, i've done it once, but , whew, don't remember it being that hard.!!!!!

Monday

Good Morning,

Today I did an I-Tread and 25 "prisoner" squats. These are ones that you do with your hands behind your head, sorta like how the cops make the perps do? Not into doing weights for some reason.

Cathy, I guess I must have missed that workout at Collage, I'll look again. I think I have that BSS1 series, DH bought it for me but I don't remember ever doing them for some reason. What is BBBB? No problems on the thread start.

Garance, hot and humid again here too, every day is a bad hair day. I have taken to putting mine back in a lame excuse for a pony tail, since it is not really long enough for a real one, but hey, who cares? I want to be comfortable.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did the Zumba live DVD (55 min.) and kept up pretty well with hardly any cueing. Very, very fun and worked up quite a sweat. I can see how the Zumba classes would be a lot of fun, although this one seemed crowded and I fear banging into someone given my wild gyrations.

Yep, Deb, it's another hot and steamy one here, too. Remember last summer??? It was cold and rainy all the time and that made me complain, too. Congrats to Keegan! He's so cute he doesn't have to be pretty. Poor Max! His scrotum looks pretty sore--according to the vet, it's a self-induced hematoma from licking. DH took the bonnet off too soon and all it took was one night. Bonnet is back on and he has some painkillers, too. I hope he's better by the time we leave on Friday--hate to put him in a kennel if he's not up to snuff.

Friends over for dinner tonight--first batch of pesto.

Stay cool everyone.

Good Morning,

Today I did a 30 minute I-tread, plus 13 push ups ( on toes) and 10 chin ups. I used the assisted pull up straps with 2 feet in them standing. I think this is the easiest method for the assistance. If you put one foot in, it is harder, then knees etc. Only 242 calories burned though. I cannot get the calorie burn up no matter what I do.

Garance, poor Max. I hope it is cleared up before you go too, and you can go on vacation with peace of mind. Did you ever consider going to a love Zumba class? My cousin loves them, says she has more fun than any other class she has taken.

Hi to Cathy, Joan, Josie & "Hiking" Valerie!

Another pony tail day folks!

This morning I did BBL High and Tight (38 min.) and the standing abs routine from Zumba (20 min.).

Deb, I feel so terrible about Max. He hates that bonnet, but we cannot take it off, and it's clear that he is very tender there. The vet tells us it should clear up and to apply ice to the area.

Our dinner went very well last night, and even though it was very warm, the humidity didn't arrive until very late, so we were all comfortable. I love pesto!!!

What's up ladies?? Haven't heard from Joan, Josie, or Valerie in a while.

Good afternoon all,

I've been doing a lot of babysitting this week so wo has been late. But what else is new. Still doing only treadmill but at least I do it everyday.

Weight is finally back down to 168 on old scale and 171 on new scale. I wish I could have just got right back into dieting but at least the "high days" last week were at maintenance.

This morning I took Elliot to the library to make a pirates hat and a parrot that sits on your shoulder. They really are both cute. Tonight I babysit from 5-9pm. Tomorrow is a follow up appt with eye doctor from mothers prior surgery. She doesn't want to waste the money but none of it is out of pocket. I guess that's what's wrong with insurance but I guess he wouldn't have the appt unless it was necessary.

I can't complain about the weather. It was 85 last week and 95 all this week but is getting down in the 70's at night.

Joan

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

I guess I am the first one on today because of the site being down for maintenance. Very wet here today.

Joan, how often do you weigh yourself? I do it once a week to keep myself sane, and I don't get alarmed unless it's three weeks in a row that my weight has gone up. Sounds like you are enjoying some of that time with Elliot.

Looking forward to my vacation--starts Friday. I will have to wait until I get back to finish meso 3.

Took Max to the vet yesterday, and she gave him an even bigger bonnet, some antibiotics and more painkillers. He is definitely better today, although that bonnet is so sad. He bumps into everything.

howdy ya'll, well, busy day with g/kids, horses, friends over to ride and the like. no workout today, but worked outside, walked, saddled, and all that. tomorrow is super body sculpt , an old firm w/stephanie, all weights. so, ttyl, very tired

Hi all,

No workout today for me, too hot and tired. Another contractor coming tonight to give us an estimate on the split system A/C. I can't wait to get this over with and hopefully installed. We got a chance to see what it looks like up close as the first contractor told us they just did one of our neighbors houses a street away so we walked the dogs by there to see it. I am very tempted to knock on the door and ask them how they like it. Is that too bold? They may be annoyed at the contractor for giving their address out, or they may be happy to tell us what they think of it. I know DH won't do it with me.

Garance, Sorry to hear Max is not healing faster.. will they keep the bonnet on him at the kennel? I would think they would not want to have any issues with the incision while you are away.

Joan, good job on the weight loss. Nine and one half pounds to go and I will be at my goal weight. It seems to take forever doesn't it?

Cathy, you are doing well with your workouts, and isn't riding considered a workout? Tt seems like your weather is a lot better this summer.

Later...

This morning I did disk 33 for bis, tris, sh (60 min.). Really upped the weights and felt it.

Deb, Max is so much better this morning. He showed no interest in licking himself, the swelling and redness are almost gone, and he has been unbonneted. Makes me feel much better about leaving him with the kennel tomorrow. The kennel is at the vet's, so I'm sure if there are problems, he will be well attended. I'm going to miss him. I don't think I would mind if someone inquired about an air conditioning system I had installed. Our contractors occasionally ask if they can bring someone around to look at our addition and I have not minded.

Well, I am off tomorrow and won't be checking in for the next week. I did look up Zumba classes on the Jersey shore, and I may try at least one of them (3 classes in Avalon where I am going) in addition to my daily 3 mile walk.

ttfn

Hi everyone, I'm back!. We did a tough backpack that turned out only OK, but I'm so proud to have completed it. I haven't done one in 2 years because of my assorted medical problems that are fixed now. My 1 year anniversary (since my surgery) is the 17th and I am so proud ( OK, sometimes I'm not modest) of what I've been able to accomplish despite a lot of things going wrong. I was afraid I would never backpack again but I kicked butt!

And let me say a few words about STS.... I have never, in my entire life , done a backpack and not gotten sore, even when I was 25. big heavy pack, walking uphill for many hours, everyone gets sore, the first trip especially. well, I did NOT get sore and neither did DH. In fact, he said after we felt good enough to hike after the backpack, that he's amazed at what STS has done for him. Nothing got sore, legs, arms, back, nothing. I'm AMAZED! What a tremendous program! I'm ready to start meso 3 again.

this was 9 miles each way, up to around 7000 feet... about 8 hrs in, 5 hrs out. very cold and windy, which was NOT the forecast. we froze our butts! still pretty but not what we hoped for. so we went in, stayed overnight and came out since it froze solid and snowed besides. camped in our favorite campground afterwards, surprisingly quiet and non- busy. got a great nights sleep and enxt morning did another hike, a shorter one just a couple miles, maybe 5 RT, but it was stunningly beautiful, and just overall lovely. got up close and personal with a mt goat, lots of flowers, birds, marmots, and a "far away" black bear.

this morning we did a fast 2 hour bike ride just to get the kinks out. I've been watching my food and have been hungry every night in the middle of the night, so maybe I lost a couple ounces..... I can hope.

OMG pesto... I love pesto. my basil is pathetic this year, I may need to buy some. I haven't read the whole thread so I'm try to check in tomorrow again.

Finally Friday

Good Morning all,

Well we had the second estimate, and this was the company that put in our new boiler a couple of years ago. They came in with a lesser price, more efficient system, higher BTU capacity for both the living room and our bedroom, and because it is a high efficiency we are able to take a $1500 tax credit with filing for this year's taxes. I think we will be going with this one. It is really expensive, but it will not go down anytime soon so we should probably act now. DH and I decided to sleep on it, and we will discuss this morning and make the decision.

Garance, safe trip and have fun!

Valerie, you are amazing, I still can't believe how much you do. You should have lost some weight for sure, with all that physical activity.

Hi to Joan, Josie, & Cathy!

What is everyone doing this weekend?

Stay cool!

Deb, hope you come to a decision with the cooling unit. My whole attitude about summer changed when I knew we could cool things down when we needed to. and the weather is usually not that bad here. we've used it 2 days so far. I know a lot of places I'd turn it on in april and never turn it off!. it's back to 70-ish and pleasant here. we seldom ( here) get the humidity I remember so well from the midwest in summer. I hated it so much I moved away from it. BAD hair days!! BAD sleep nights!
I'd go ask the neighbors how they like their system in a heart beat. most people like to share experiences and they may have some good insights since they've recently made this change. could you leave a short note in their mail box leaving your phone number & the reason? that way if they don't want to talk they have the option to toss the note.

It's hard to lose weight hiking. the food choices trend away from "diet" food. I don't over eat but it's not a good time to restrict calories too much either and I'm very efficient weight maintaining machine and extract EVERY calorie from whatever I eat. food helps keep you warm at night when it gets cold. I do have a good beer like a Fat tire(one) after most hikes. tastes so fantastic. and a few potato chips or fritos but one bag will last the 2 of us for several hikes so we aren't inhaling big quantities.

Lynda, sorry your doggie had such a tough time with his surgery but once they get that lick cycle going they create problems where there wouldn't have been any. so funny with the bonnet, they will rearrange your house for you!

Good morning,

Deb you don't want to get too big a unit for your home. According to my furnace guy if you put too big a unit in it will get the temperature cool before it takes out all the humidity. It needs to run long enough to get out all the moisture and if it cools off quickly that won't happen and you won't feel cooler.

I'm glad Max is feeling better. My cat is forever limping and the vet says to keep him from jumping on things. I've never been able to stop him. He is not very graceful and is always landing wrong. We have come to the conclusion that he bruises his paws.

I have been out of commission since Wed. At least now I have an excuse not to lift. I took DM to doctor's appt Wed and he kept up waiting for an hour and a half. With eating out and getting a prescription it took 3 hours and it was very hot that day. When we got back home she could only make it up 6 of the 8 steps. I had her sit on the top step (livingroom floor) Needless to say I tried multiple times to stand her up but pulled something in my back. I called my brother and after getting her back on the steps we got her standing again. It was easier starting from her bent knee position than flat on the floor. Between the two of up we got her up the last two steps.

A chair lift on the stairs won't work. I looked into it when she fell the last time. I looked into assisted living and senior appts because I thought she might not be able to stay here. After a non-panic thought I decided that the heat just got her a little weaker than normal. However it won't be too long before she can't get up those steps. I don't think I could afford the assisted living or senior appts for long. She's not ready for a nursing home. I finally figured out where I could put in an elevator. Now I need to figure out where to find 20,000 extra dollars. At least I think that's what it will cost. In the example they used $20000 as what you could use as a medical expense.

At least I am still walking on the treadmill.

Joan

Last edited:
Joan, a few thoughts. It's not clear to me, are these inside or outside steps? would a ramp work? does she have a walker? my aunt is as weak as a kitten but can get up stairs with someone supporting her elbow if she has a walker to lean on. depends on depth of the steps whether it's workable. Is there a railing next to the steps? also might help temporarily.
My FIL qualified for a motorized scooter thru medicare. It took a while to get it( months) but he is doing OK, their house is flat inside so they have a ramp so he can get outside via the back door. more distance than from the front door but it works since the scooter makes the distance less of an obstacle. (their front door has steps) had their bathroom modified so minimal threshold at doorway/shower, and wide enough for the scooter. once they( people in general) get the scooter though, they will use it and quickly lose the ability to walk.

Do they have adult group homes where you live? they are ( here, anyway) a less $$$ option to assisted living and are often used when someone is not independent enough for assisted living, but not ready for a nursing home yet. .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.