Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 6/7/09

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning all,

Well I finished STS disc 22, Chest, shoulders, Triceps, did laundry, paid bills, emptied the dishwasher and other mundane things that I could not do yesterday, being at the dog trial all day. I hope it does not rain so I can spend some time in the yard weeding.

Garance, I think I will get some calcium with soy, which is what I used to take along with vitamin E that helps hot flashes. I stll take the vitamin E and calcium, but I starting buying calcium with vit D, recommended by my Gyno Dr because of bone loss. That and cleaning up my diet should help. How do you like your new stuff from Cathe? It takes some practice using the weighted gloves. Taking those little weight pouches in and out is not too easy.

The sun is shining right now, although the weather people said we would get rain today.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did disk 28 (63 min.), adding some weight with my new gloves. I just left the weights in, so an additional 4 lbs, and I really felt the difference.

It will be interesting to look at the campus in a few hours. Right now it is still crowded with cars and people, and then wham! everything is emptied out and students, parents GONE into the future after commencement. Then, next weekend is alumni and a whole new influx of people.

The sun is shining here as well, but they are predicting some little rainstorms later. Deb, the only thing that helped me with hot flashes was HRT--Loestrin for about 12 months after my hysterectomy. Hope your formula works for you!

I watched Monster-in-Law last night from netflix. It was pretty funny, but I am glad I did not bother to go to a movie theater to watch it.

I will do a bit of writing and then some gardening before the rains come.

Enjoy the waning weekend, everyone!

Good afternoon Garance, Josie, Linny, Deb and Cathy,

Saturday's wo was 3.5 mi on treadmill. Tomorrow is disc 13. I did preview and do like that you are not running around trying to get the next weight. I did like meso 1 so will have to see if this is better.

I do have cardio coach to get me moving faster on treadmill. I sound like a wimp but I can't do two days in a row without my back hurting. I walk slower but try to go longer.

I got the last flowers planted before it started to pour.

Off to birthday party for ds. Birthday cake and pizza.

still Sunday

Hi,

Well dinner is done, and I am trying to talk DH into watching an episode of House.

Joan, Meso 2 is wayyyy better for the weight changing part. Those 1 minute rests really help. That minute goes so fast though..;)

hi ladies, kinda didn't do much today. went to church, lunch, took a nap, and just kinda bummed around.
well, gonna start STS next monday, and want to do a kind of an easy week, was gonna take a total rest week, but the last 3 days have been rather unproductive, so think i better do something.
anyone have any suggestions?
cathy

Good morning,

Just finished disc 13. I'm considering that my Monday wo.

Deb I hated the rest periods. 60 seconds seems too long when you don't need to change weights. I know I couldn't lift as heavy with less of a rest but I still hated it. I did like the exercises and did feel I was using the correct weight.

Birthday party was fun. I ate 2 pieces of pizza and 1 pc of cake. Not as bad as it could have been.

Cathy I only did treadmill for my rest week. I never did look to see what Cathe recommended.

Hi to Garance, Linny and Josie.

Monday Mania!

Good morning,

Just finished a 40 minute I-Tread, this one really worked up a sweat!:eek:

Garance, How is the writing coming along? are you glad you will not be teaching this coming semester?

Cathy, maybe some light total body workouts, or just cardio?

Joan, I hear there are 3 minute rests in Meso 3...you will need to figure out something you can do for all that time! LOL! :D...Maybe we can do some ab work or something? I am serious, why not get some of that done while waiting?

Hi to Josie & Linny!

yeah, that is what i was thinkin', some cardio. for soem reason i am very tired this am.??? i did nothin' yesterday, so why am i tired?
ok, PLEASE tell me how ya'll get the smiley faces in you messages.
cathy

Hi Ladies,

It is cloudy and overcasted here again. We had some nice weather over the weekend, but now is back to June gloom. I did my wokout with my trainer this weekend and my butt is very sore, I also walked 3 miles with my friends and spinning on Sunday.

Today I will run on the treadmill at least 3 miles. I did not do much this weekend, just relaxed and watched some movies.

I will check back later.

Josie

Cathy, when you hit the "post reply" button at the lower left of the string, a window pops up with all the smiles that Cathe has here to the right...

If you are using the quick reply window at the bottom, they may not come up...I never used that one so I am not sure...

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did the LIS-HIS premix on 4ds (57 min.).

You're right, Deb, I just went over to the shop cathe site, and the one review made the same mistake I did. I thought there were two pounds in each glove. My writing is going pretty well. I am trying to do an overview of criticism on Ted Hughes, before and after his publication of Birthday Letters. It was very different before those poems were published. I have also been invited to write a piece for a journal called Gastronomique on Sylvia Plath and food. Her Journals and Letters are filled with descriptions of food and cooking. Very sensuous. For example, this is her description of a honeydew melon: "Wild cold honey-flavored melon-flesh; creamy texture, refreshing, sweet the way sunlight would taste, coming through the clear glossy green bulk of waves." She absolutely pored over her copy of Joy of Cooking, which had directions in the first edn for how to dress a rabbit, which she did in order to make a birthday meal for Ted.

I'm making a labor intensive risotto tonight.

Cathy, I would do one interval workout, one circuit workout with weights, a kickbox, a step, and a walk. Lots of variety.

Hey, Josie, did you make that relish this weekend?

Joan, wait until you get to Meso 3. The rest periods are REALLY LONG and Cathe talks and talks and talks . . . . I told DH if he wanted to interrupt me on these, there were plenty of opportunities. Usually that is taboo.

I didn't have many steps yesterday. Or I don't think so since I didn't wear armband until evening. After a while of rest periods I did just walk in place to get some steps in. I may put lap top in area during meso 3 with ab dvd to do during rest periods. I'm glad you mentioned it.

I'm going to really watch calories this week and then give myself permission to go back to staying the same eating. Maybe if I only do that once or twice a month I can take the time to really plan calories better.

BBL

Tuesday

Good Morning,

This morning I did the first workout from coolrunning.com which is the couch to jogging or something like that. It is supposed to give you a plan to get started jogging. I must be crazy, but I wanted to do something different.

Josie, maybe I will be running along with you soon!

Garance, Wow, you have sure picked the correct person to write about! That way she described melon was unbelievable! mmmm...risotto....

Joan, you and me both on the rests in Meso 3. I think 1 minute is perfect, or a minute and a half, but 3 is way too long. I think I will add crunches etc unless I am really tired...we'll see. Are you counting the number of steps you take in a day too?

Linny, where are you?

Have a good day !

Hi Deb, Linny (?), Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did disk 38 for legs (60 min.). The rests are 2 1/2 min. on this one. Really boring, and I think she just edits in the talk from 37--or at least it sounds the same. Blah, blah, and more blah! I get it, Cathe, I'm supposed to STRETCH! I would throw in some abs, but it's kind of hard with my new weighted vest on. The vest certainly increased the challenge on this. I am now squatting and lunging with 60 lbs. My dead lifts are now at 70lbs.

Risotto was excellent last night and we will have leftovers tomorrow night because we are going out to dinner tonight. It's restaurant week here for members of "Berkshire Grown" and at participating restaurants, you can have two dinners for 50 dollars.

Cool and rainy here again. We haven't seen 80 degrees since a couple days in May. Weird. Makes me wonder if global warming is real.

Back to work!

Hi Ladies,

Trainer day today plus a 1 hour walk after. I ended up working out a work yesterday and went to the nail salon with my DD after work. I did not want to ruin my pedicure while running on the treadmill.

Garance, I did not make the relish, but I have all the ingredients. Have you read Like Water for Chocolate. This book reminds me of my GM's kitchen and the wonderful smell that came from her kitchen. I also like the book Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses (cook book) by Isabel Allende. The description of the foods just makes my mouth water.

Deb, I like the program from couch to 5k. My DB Jose followed this program before his 1st 5k.

Hi to Cathy, Joan and Linny (where are you?).

Josie

Wednesday!

Good Morning!

I just finished STS #23 Legs, I had to skip the calf work at the end, too spent. I can't do a calf raise on one leg anyway. This has been ( and will be) a tough week at work, I can't wait until the weekend.

Garance, yes a lot of the "talk" between sets is repeated stuff, so probably edited in. I usually ignore it. It's not so bad with a minute between sets, let's see how I feel starting Sunday. I can't believe I am starting meso 3 on Sunday! :eek:. Wow You are doing 70 # deadlifts? I can't go beyond 37. I have to be very careful with these. it was doing deadlifts that herniated a disk in my back. Global warming? phooey!

Josie, you made me smile when you said you didn't want to ruin your pedicure on the treadmill.. same with me!:D

Hi to Cathy and Joan. I hope Linny is ok..:confused:

Have a good day!

Good morning,

I saw Cathe on QVC. I like the look of her weighted vest a lot better than mine. Since I have the 20lb of weights in mine I may just get a back pack.

Today is disc 14, I haven't done it yet. I did preview it and it seemed much better with the trisets.

I went to the dentist yesterday for a tiny cavity in a front tooth. After I got back I realized I now have a verticle crack the lenght of that top tooth.

Through Monday it is supposed to rain every day but Friday.

Deb I'm glad you mentioned about the dead lifts. I may decide to not go as heavy. That's the exercise that causes my back to hurt the next day like I have pinched a nerve.

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did Kimberly Spreen's Cardio Combat Surge (70 min.).

Josie, I saw the film of Like Water for Chocolate and loved it. I will have to find the Allende book--any good recipes in there?

Deadlifts have always been really easy for me. DS says I must have really flexible hamstrings because I can go all the way down to my feet with them, and I am scrupulous about form. This is, though, the first time I have used so much weight. Joan, I really like Cathe's weighted vest, although DH keeps teasing me about looking like a sky diver.

Great dinner last night with locally grown and raised ingredients. DH is trying to insure his chickens don't collapse (broken legs that are too weak to bear their weight) by having their feeder just high enough so that they have to stand up to eat. He says their preference is to eat lying down. What makes me bring this up? Apparently there is a new documentary film out called Food Inc. and the scenes in a slaughterhouse and chicken farm are pretty disturbing. Lots of collapsing chickens.

I am making Julia Child's Caesar Salad tonight to go with leftover risotto. Lots of romaine from the garden.

Hey Linny--let us know if all is well with you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.