Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 6/28

garance

Cathlete
Hello Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I repeated disk 31 (63 min.).

Sorry you are feeling so listless, Deb. Did you manage to get a workout in today? I remember Jen as well. She had just changed jobs and seemed to be really happy with her new position. I guess Linny has deserted us too. Sigh!

I had a good time at Jacob's Pillow yesterday. Really superb dancers--two women with their musical background people. Both from Andalusia. Just so dramatic and saucy. DH and I went out for Mexican food last night. It was really good.

Today is more of the same weather-wise. Just muggy, chance of rain, high 60s and low 70s. I am really tired of this and DH is "beaten," he says. Not a good year for hay at all.

Hi to everyone!!

sorry about your hay, we don't have any either, cuz we have no rain. there are some place that irrigate, but we are also on water restriction now. but, the price is gonna go sky high,

i'm kinda tired today, too. worked early this am, went to church, then took a nap, and i gotta work again this evening. ugh!!!! it is 103'

well, onto meso 1, week 3 already. this time is going as fast as the last time.
cathy

Hi

Hi all,

Sorry to be so down and out of it lately.. I did get a workout in today, I am repeating last week for STS because I missed the 3rd workout last week, and somehow I felt guilty skipping it. So it will take me one more week to finish, no biggie. John and I went to a BBQ place for lunch, then to Borders to look at books. I sat and looked at Jillian Michael's book about controlling your metabolism. It was ok, nothing I would pay for. She is a big proponent of all natural eating, all organic etc. That is not easy for me, especially with Dh's eating habits!

Garance, we had beautiful weather here yesterday, but today it has rained off and on all day. I got some weeding done yesterday, good thing I didn;t put it off until today.

Cathy, I feel for you and the heat there. I can;t imagine how it must be, plus not being able to get hay etc. Did you mentione what work you do? If so I apologize. I was wondering what job you would have that you worked in the morning, then again in the evening.

Have a great day!

Good evening all,

Saturday I did HC Kickmax, the kickbox/bootcamp. Cathe was jumping around like a crazy person. I modified almost all of it but I was still sweating.

Today we went to a local winery. It was "only" 85 degrees so it felt nice compared to last week.

So far today has been a rest day but I still need to do disc 21. (I think)

We decided TODAY to leave for vacation on Friday July 3. We will be going to Portland, OR to see ds. I'm glad we didn't wait until Thursday to plan this.:p We just got to talking and found that next week is the only time before Sept. that dh can take off. After Aug 17 I will be babysitting again. I will be gone between July 3 until late July 12. I won't be able to check in but I'll be back. I worry that I will gain weight back. That always seems to happen when I go on vacation. I keep losing the same pounds.

Joan

It's Monday...

Good morning,

I took a break from the Couch to 5K stuff and did an I-Tread. I like these much more. I think I will stick to these again for cardio. I guess I am not made to run/jog that much. Plus it was starting to hurt my leg which is really a sign that it is hurting my back.

Joan, I know what you mean about losing the same pounds over and over again. I do that with 2 pounds. I feel like my weight is on a treadmill...going nowhere. Will you be flying to Portland? Are there grandchildren there?

What's everyone up to this week?

Hi Ladies,

I'm very excited today! My DS is comming home from his deployment, he will be here on Friday July 3rd. He is finished with the NAVY and can't wait to get home to his family.

I did all of my wo's this weekend as I posted on Friday. I will be taking Friday's and Monday's off. I noticied hat I need 2 days off instead on just the one day per week that I was taking. I'm 168 lbs as of this morning.

Joan, I was telling my DH that I did not want to go on vacation this summer for the same reason. Every time we go somewhere I gain all the weight back.

Deb, How is Kelsey doing? My DS will arrive on Friday and I will drive him to San Diego and maybe spend a day there. No big plans here.

Cathy, I'm praying for some rain to come your way.

Have a grat day!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did Step Jam again (60 min.).

Very gloomy here today. WHERE ARE YOU SUN??? They are saying that we might get a stretch of sunny, no-rain weather over the holiday weekend, so I am doing a sun dance for us and a rain dance for you, Cathy.

How is Kelsey doing, Deb? How long does she have to wear the sling on her leg? If you are looking for good books, try Richard Russo's Empire Falls or Straight Man. The second one is lol, and the first one won the Pulitzer. I just finished a lousy book recommended by John Searles--Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Don't bother, it's just icky-creepy, not intriguingly mysterious. If you like mysteries, I recommend Deborah Crombie or Peter Robinson.

Hmm--I don't tend to gain weight on vacation, I guess because I do all that bobbing in the ocean and beach walks and boardwalks and even some beach volleyball when I am not too absorbed in a book. But my weight has been at a standstill now for 2 years.

I will be going to Saratoga on Thursday with friends to see NYC Ballet at SPAC. Tomorrow I will head over to the Clark to see the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit. Those are my fun things for the week.

Enjoy your days off Josie!

i WOULD LOVE to send you our sun. it is now 105' and we are burning up, literally! grass is brown and crunchy , what grass there is, most of it is gone! it is quite depressing and miserable. our swimming pool water is 95' it's warmer than the shower. well, i don't have a pool, but my son does and a friend of mine does. ok, guess i've complained enough.

i did disc 7 and 35m of cardio today. and i don't have to work this afternoon, thank the LORD, since i work outside, so i may do an ab workout.
cathy

i WOULD LOVE to send you our sun. it is now 105' and we are burning up, literally! grass is brown and crunchy , what grass there is, most of it is gone! it is quite depressing and miserable. our swimming pool water is 95' it's warmer than the shower. well, i don't have a pool, but my son does and a friend of mine does. ok, guess i've complained enough.

i did disc 7 and 35m of cardio today. and i don't have to work this afternoon, thank the LORD, since i work outside, so i may do an ab workout.
cathy

actually, i work at my equine vet clinic and i wonder if ya'll could help me kinda figure out how i can post that in my workout calendar. i have been posting it as cardio, walking on a grass track. but, i don't get my heart rate up, i just do alot of walking. cleaning stalls, feeding horses, walking, trotting horses. i don't really know how fast i am walking. i guess i could do it that way, but i don't know how to figure out my speed. and, i don't walk at a constant pace. anyway, what do ya'll think?
cathy

Good evening all,

Josie -Your son is completely done and out of Navy or just this deployment? We had not planned to take another vacation until New Years but really wanted to see son.

Deb - Son in Portland is not married. We will fly in Friday and only stay until Wed. He has a photo shoot in LA from Mon-Thur that week. He had originally thought it would be Wed and Thur only. Oh well. We will paint his apartment for him on Mon and Tues. We will fly to Las Vegas and then fly home on Sunday.

Cathy I only log Cathe dvd and treadmill in calendar. But I do like to keep track of my calories used with my GWF armband. I print out calendar and just write on each day.

Today was work and this evening completing all the invitations to reunion. No wo.

Joan

Tuesday

Good Morning!

I did an I-tread after being awakened at 2:30 by a little K, who did not have to go, but was thirsty and did not have water in his crate....bad mom. I got up around 3:40, decided to just stay up.

Joan, I got up an hour after you posted..LOL..we are on opposite sides of the day. :) Are you planning a reunion? family or school?

Josie, that is great news about your DS!

Cathy, working at that vet sounds like fun...I always wanted a job where I could move around. Although in that heat it must be like working in a sauna . Do you have a heart rate monitor that you could wear while you work? You could record the calories burned in the calendar.

Garance, Kelsey is a little trooper. She is doing ok getting around with 3 legs. They said she has to be in the sling for 2-4 weeks, probably closer to 4. The longer she is in it, the better chance she has of having the hip stay in place. Thanks for the book/author recommendations. I have been reading a lot of Jodi Piccoult books. She is the one that wrote "My Sister's Keeper" which is a movie coming out soon or just came out. Her books are pretty good. I like the one that takes place in an Amish community. ( Plain Truth). It was pretty interesting. Her books are good 'take on vacation" books. Just very easing reading and good stories. My MIL is loving the book (The Help) by the way.

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

Training plus walk this evening. I'm wearing a suit that was very tight 2 months a go and it feels perfect. These workouts are working.

Deb & Joan, My DS is getting out for good. He tried to re-enlist and get another possition, but they wanted him to stay on the same ship and go out on deployment for 6 months every year for the next 4 years and he said no. He told them that his kids need him around and he already has missed enough time in their lives. They were not happy and did nothing to help him get another possition. They gave him a very hard time.

Cathy, I do not miss those summers in Texas and Arizona. I lived in Tucson for 3 years.

Garance, You are so lucky that you don't gain any weight on vacation. It sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. I'm just happy to have my DS back in the states.

Have a great day Ladies!

Josie

This morning I did disk 39 for the second time (59 min.), and I did some abs during the LONG rest periods. I am definitely at the stage where I am eager to be done with STS. I have been doing this since the beginning of February.

Josie, that is such good news about your son! I bet it lightens you up in terms of worrying--or it would for me. I have to consciously remind myself not to worry about things--it's a waste of time and doesn't do any good anyway.

So will you get to see your son for just a couple of days, Joan? Pretty nice of you to paint his apartment on your vacation.

I bet you will really like Empire Falls, Deb. FYI, one of DH's cows is named Francine, and once you have read the book, you will know what kind of personality she has. Russo's last book, Bridge of Sighs, was very good, too, but he didn't seem able to really bring it to a good conclusion. I cannot believe you have been up since 3:40 A.M.! I'd be ready for a nap about now. Glad Kelsey is doing okay--will she have PT?

Good evening Deb, Garance, Josie, Cathy and Linny,

I got a late start again to exercise because I babysat today.

I just finished disc 21 and 22. Since I feel it now I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow.

Joan

Wednesday

Good Morning,

I just finished STS Legs from Meso 3 week 2. ( repeating from last week). Not sure why, but I never get DOMS from these leg workouts and I am using heavier weights than I have ever used before. :confused:..I fast forward during the breaks. I probably do a minute and a half between sets.

Josie, great job on the weight loss. This Kevin that you have "engaged" really knows his stuff! So happy for your family to have DS home and safe this week.

Garance, I looked at all the books you recommended on Amazon to get an idea about the story etc then requested the one from the library. For some reason, in recent years I have come to not liking any novel that takes place in England. Not sure what it is, the type of writing/story telling, or what, very strange. As soon as I see a character called "Inspector". I put the book back. I am not sure about Kelsey needing PT after this round. I think she might, to get the use of her leg back, How are you on your Murad stuff? There is a good one up for $49.45, includes shipping.

Joan, you amaze me that you do 2 discs together!:eek:. I am so wiped when I finish one. I guess with the time change, you and I are not really getting up and going to bed at the same time...which time zone are you in? My clock on Cathe says you posted at 3:34 am...You must be at least a couple of hours behind me...

Hi to Cathy!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Good morning,

I'm in the central time zone. I saw you on line after I posted and was reading forums. You need more sleep. Of course so do I . I got to bed about 4 am and up at 8 am.

The reunion is for my HS-40 year. We had 111 in the graduating class.
We were close as a class and usually get 40 to come to reunion. The people who don't come still live in town.:confused:

Now Chris is saying that he has to work Mon-Thur but he also has to leave Sunday. We may drive to Seattle for a couple of days.

I think I told you dh took over my trainer, although she left and now he has a guy. Saturday after wo he was on treadmill, winded and had pain radiating down shoulder to elbow. The funny thing was he had had his annual check up Friday. Of course he wouldn't call doctor. I knew they would call this week with test results so I sicced (sp?) nurse on him today.
BBL with wo.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

Today is a spinning day. Tomorrow I will not be able to wo because I have to pick my DS from the airport and drive him to San Diego. He has to check in with his commanding officer at 8:00 PM. I might spend the night there, but I'm not sure yet.

I have a lot of work today, so BBL.

Josie

This morning I did Amy Bento's Kickbox Surge, but I did the premix that does not have the surges to get some relief from impact. So--47 min. of kickbox followed by Cathe's medball abs for 10 min. I really get sweaty on the kickbox, and I like Bento.

I don't think I need another jar of essential-C for awhile, Deb, but thanks for thinking of me. Maybe when I get back from vacation at the end of the month I will be running out.

DH took the chickens up to VT yesterday for . . . . and last night I made a ton of chicken broth for freezing from backs and bones. DH debones the breasts. He left 5 of them whole and cut up the rest, then vacuum-sealed them for the freezer. Can't wait to have some chicken again after the long moratorium on store-bought chicken.

Deb, if you are "off" British inspector mysteries, maybe you would like Robert Crais's California detective or Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.

I think Cathe's time is Greenwich, so it doesn't apply to any of us.

Off to do some writing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.