Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/6

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Not much going on here. John will be going fishing, so I will stay here and get some stuff checked off the list. Maybe if I am energetic, I'll pull some weeds for a bit. Hate that though. This will have to be after a workout, or I will not do the workout afterwards.

Valerie, have fun in the garden! Maybe I should start STS again, but a full hour workout sounds daunting to me.

Hi to Garance, Joan & Josie,

Take care,

Hi,

I did CArdio Supersets this morning. I like this one a lot except I thought there were more weight sections, (duh, it's called "cardio Supersets" dummy). Hated the Burpees with the disks, but figure I will get them eventually if I keep doing it.

It is a good calorie burner for under 45 minutes.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

I did High Reps this morning (65.5 min.).

Deb, I love Cardio Supersets. It really gets the job done. I did Housemax yesterday and then spent the afternoon writing an abstract for an article, reading part of another thesis, and getting ready for the final classes this week. More reading this afternoon, but it's just so great to think that this is the last week of classes. I also have an appointment to do an ultrasound on my legs. It would be so nice to have fewer unsightly veins.

I have been thinking about doing STS again after the semester is over. Hmmm--maybe together with those two new workouts I pre-ordered from Cathe. She says she is starting filming on May 15, and since it's only 2 workouts, maybe it won't take so long to get them released.

Nice weather here. I should do some weeding, too.

Good morning,

Terrible night, tossing and turning, not sure what was happening. We had decafe coffee at my brother's after dinner, but maybe that was it.

Didn't get into the yard at all yesterday, tried to get a new HRM but Dick's was out of the model I want. By the time I finished what had to be done around here it was time to go to my brother's. We had a very nice dinner, quiet, as only one of my nieces was there so no little kids running around like usual.

Garance, what is the ultra sound for? is this part of the pre-work for the procedure?

I am seriously thinking of skipping class tonight, or maybe taking a half day off and getting a nap in this afternoon...we'll see how I feel at noon...

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

Deb, the ultrasound is to identify the veins with the faulty valves, so yes, it is a pre-screening for the procedure. I noticed your question over at the open forum. I would say After Burn is primarily cardio, but there is significant weight work for the shoulders in this one, a little bit of biceps, and pushups in a couple of the rounds for the chest. Slide and Glide is 25 minutes of cardio followed by 25 minutes of fairly light resistance with the firewalker band and some serious abs work at the end. Athletic Training is half and half, too, although the weight training is heavier. Turbo Barre has a section with 5 lb. weights for the upper body, but almost everything else is lower body. A really good abs section on this one, too. No cardio. Low Impact Challenge is a step routine. Hope that helps.

Beautiful here today. Wish I didn't have a class and could do some serious gardening.

Good morning,

I just finished CC#1, 35 minutes. It's raining here (again!)..I guess we needed it, but it makes the day so gloomy. We did end up skipping class last night, I was just too tired and could not imagine staying out until 10:00.

Garance, thanks for the info on the workouts. I guess the true circuit would be one that alternates weights with cardio, and these don't seem to do that, although they have both in the same workout. What is the date of your vein procedure again?

Hi to Valerie, Joan & Josie,

Take care,

Back from a long weekend. we went xc skiing yesterday, a tough workout. lovely sunny day but uphill in heavy spring snow is not easy. by bnow we expect to have spring corn snow whihc is easy to ski on, but not yet. we had to do some fancy maneuvering on the "road" to get uphill as far as we wanted. this is the road we've been cleaning out all winter and we did drive a mile or two further. subarus are great cars for this. very maneuverable. most of the road is decent just a few dicey spots.

did a mt bike the day before... 12 miles rt. again, not as far as we wanted but got to solid snow and that's as far as a bike will go. the day before I did S&G. after the bike ride we did a bunch of garden chores, things are looking nice now. so not being a slouch here. gotta go to yoga so will check back in in a couple hours.

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.).

Deb, I don't set up the date for the procedure until I get this bilateral venous ultrasound today. Hmmm--I think I would characterize After Burn as a circuit workout, because she does one straight cardio followed by a weighted exercise in each set. For example, she will do side-to-side skates followed by upright row plies with a 15 lb dumbbell, or the final set is a side to side hop with a dixie cup in the center followed by lunges with 5 lb weights in a lateral shoulder raise.

Raining here too and very gloomy.

Valerie, I'm glad you are enjoying the snow, because I cannot think of anything I less want to see at this time of the year.

Hi Ladies,

The graduation was beautiful and very well organized. The day was sunny but cool.
I put sunscreen on my face, but forgot my neck and arms and now I have a funny tan 

The party was great, but the best part was that we got to see the family and friends that we have not seen I a while.

I was exhausted on Sunday and cleaned up and laid around the rest of the day. No workout for me over the weekend. I will be spinning tonight.

I will be back later.

Josie

Linda that is the nice thing about snow in the mountains. we can drive there in 2 hrs, enjoy it, and go home to blooming flowers and grass that needs mowing. sometimes in the winter.... when everywhere is snowy and cold ... it's not as interesting. with the sun on the snow it's just blinding. need very dark glasses, a ton of sunscreen. I wear loose nylon shorts and pants or I'd fry like an egg in a hot pan. we got a heavy load of snow again this year, will be a long time before we're hiking, except for low level stuff.

mentioning movies again... saw The Help, & Descendants, the Rum Diaries. Strongly recommend the first two, not the last one. last one was just a mess, even johnny depp didn't help. It took FOREVER to get The Help thru Netflix and most of the reviewers were complaining about the ridiculously long wait. both were good enough to watch a second time. Never get everything on the first run thru.

Yoga class was tough this morning.... she's got a bunch of regulars showing up who will make the effort and she pushes us. but it's still fun not work.

Deb, FWIW I don't drink even decaf after morning. I'm used to no coffee after that so I don't feel deprived. I had a bad night last night too. sometimes when I work really hard for a long time, like skiing, when I try to sleep at night I'm fidgety and wired up. even benadryl doesn't help much. it can happen after 5-6 hours of exercise. I just get 'wound up". If we have a later dinner and I get revved up with conversation, the same thing can happen. usually benadryl will work.

Good morning,

Another bad night, but we won't go there. No need to bore you with the same thing. It's a little brighter today, hopefully no rain.

Valerie,, sounds like you had a nice trip. Funny how people are all different, going somewhere to find snow would be the last thing I would think of as a fun outing.

Garance, I did go look at the clip from Afterburn, and I think this is the most "circuit" type in the series. It has a couple nice pre-mixes too for a shorter workout.

Josie, glad your party/celebration turned out well and you got to see friends etc. What are your DS's plans now? I would like to see The Help, will probably have to rent it and watch it myself.

Time to get ready to leave, I need a day off.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, and Valerie--

This morning I did the upper body split on Total Body Trisets (56 min.).

Did the ultrasound yesterday and was surprised at how long it took--almost 90 minutes. My left leg is definitely worse than my right. Had to see an other doctor today about these nosebleeds I have been having. He cauterized a vein that has been the source of the problem. Ugh! Tired of these appointments.

Loved the Descendants and The Help. I thought either one was better than The Artist.

Sounds like a great party, Josie. Does your daughter already have her dossier out there or is she going to slack off for awhile before looking for a job?

Cannot believe tomorrow is my final two classes.

Hi Ladies,

Will be spinning tonight and tomorrow, I can’t wait for the ride to start. This is the part where I start to burn out and just want to get it over with.

Garance, my DD has been applying everywhere for more than a month. The internship that she did with E (Entertainment) told her that they are looking for a project to fit her into. So, it sounds very promising. She has also had a couple of interviews with several other companies to do internships with. For right now, she is going to take a couple of weeks to rest and to complete the ALC ride and then devote herself to keep looking.

Josie

Good evening,

Did Gym style back, shoulder and biceps yesterday. Should have been Monday but just didn't get it done. Also went to dentist-cleaning only and Elliot's preschool graduation.

Today I bought flowers to plant but will need to weed first to be able to find where to dig.:p

Good morning,

Not a terrible night, but not great. How do you make a puppy sleep more than 4-5 consecutive hours? drugs? just kidding. Maybe a benadryl...hmmmm...

Garance, Happy Last Class Day!!

Joan, I have put off buying flowers...it just means you have to do something with them.

Hi to Josie, Valerie

Take care,

busy day, no formal exercise...did garden projects. planted a bunch of stuff. weeded. I am the weed queen. I use some roundup, a weed flamer, and hand pulling. this season is starting out so much better than last year. sunny yesterday. would have been good for a bike ride but we needed to get vegies planted to take advantage of the warm sunny forecast. this weekend we want to do a backpack up in snow so seeds needed to get in yesterday. we have a long growing season but it's not as hot as elsewhere so things take longer.

Linda, should I even bother with the Artist? I have it on the queue from long ago but haven't moved it up. DH has a nosebleed problem too, usually high altitude and dry air, vigorous nose blowing starts his off. he has resisted getting it cauterized.

congrats on getting a workout in Joan! one day at a time. I've been active but a bit lax about formal workouts.

Off to yoga, more later.

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.).

Deb, maybe because Max is such an active dog during the day he is worn out at night. He is in and asleep by 9:30-10:00 and sleeps until 5 when his master gets up. If DH stays inside to work at the computer like the past two days because of rain, Max turns into a pester-fester. DH just puts him out and he sits looking out at the farm for awhile like a little Buddha. Very funny.

Josie, it sounds like your daughter is looking for something in the entertainment industry out there. It makes sense given her location. I hope she finds something she wants to do.

Valerie, I really liked the dog in the Artist, but was not "charmed" by the film, which was the word I heard most often. Maybe I don't like "charming" films or I lack the charm gene. I didn't like Midnight in Paris either, another "charming" film.

Good for you, Joan! Just do what you can, when you can.

Off to one of my final classes!

thanks... I didn't like "Midnight" either. I lack the same charm gene. ( "My week with Marilyn" was similar, supposed to be charming but came across as an idiot). I guess I'll leave it on the list but not move it up. eventually we will see it by default or because I'm out of new things I want to see. We're watching a TV series called 'The Killing" that's quite good. not a fast moving series but we're enjoying it. It's based in Seattle and all I can say is it rains here but not as much as in this series. I like that TV series have more time to develop characters and their relationships, whereas movies have 120 min and that's it.
Countdown to last classes......

Yoga was challenging this morning. proud to say I can do backbends. No, Ringling brothers isn't going to sign me up for an acrobatic act but they seem as much about strength as flexibility. I've been able to do them for years but we don't do them in class often, and this morning it was easier than before.

Josie what kind of position is your daughter looking for?

Good morning,

Better night last night, but not great. John got up at 4:00 am with the vixen, I was too tired to get up.

Not much going on here, hope to feel up to the Friday night agility class that is held every other Friday, Otherwise just work, and crashing.

Anyone have weekend plans? I have the usual class tomorrow and HouseMax, and GardenMax.

Take care,

We're happy... all the work wed got most of the garden planted. this is a very nice stretch of weather, perfect for little plants, and for seeds sprouting. not cold, not hot, but pleasant and sunny. might reach 80 on sunday and monday. so many times we get seeds in and then get a stretch of cold nasty rain and nothing germinates. looks like timing is good this time.

the deer have been busy, ate a japanese maple and a red leaf maple. so hard to predict, they've never touched those in 20+ years. we can fence small plants but try not to plant things deer eat because it's a lost cause. it's always a moving target though... one year hostas, one year heuchera, dogwoods are always a favorite. I haven't seen autumn joy sedum bloom in years. deer let them alone until they are ready to bloom and then behead them.

Deb, we are doing a short backpack saturday and sunday. will walk/snowshoe a road that's being converted to a trail, closed to motorized. goes to a very nice open ridge with great views of mt baker & mt shuksan. air temps will be warm but will be sleeping on 6 feet of snow so need winter gear too. about 10 miles rt depending on where we stop.

Linda you must be done!

yoga yesterday morning then treadmill and pushups later.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.